Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-04-2018, 01:58 PM   #1
stazza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Late Model Daily Driven SUV's

Hi all. Wondering who here owns/drives a late model midsize SUV (Forester, CX-5, Tiguan, Tucson, Sportage etc...), and what are your thoughts on it? Pro's, Con's? Interior gadgets, comfort, performance etc...?

My wife and I purchased our first SUV, a 2016 Subaru Forester XT Premium early last year. Great car, however there are a few things with it that I find irritating. It's still got low KMS, so we are thinking of trading for something else now that we have owned an SUV and think we know what we are looking for.

I'll start with the con's:

- The front seats are "shallow", and the base cushion doesn't extend as far as it should. Becomes uncomfortable after long drives. I'm always adjusting it, never 100% comfortable. Around town it is fine, hence why I didn't notice in the test drive. The seats don't really hug you either.

- No USB or Air Con vents in the rear. WTF?

- Road noise is intrusive on rougher tarmac surfaces.

- Audio/Media interface is sometimes laggy, could definitely be improved upon.

- No blind spot monitoring, despite it being the highest class of Forester.

- CVT Transmission can be laggy.

- Car is really "urgy" or "lungy" at low car park speed.

Pro's:

- Performance is great, 2.0 petrol boxer from the WRX.

- Vision is great.

- Steering and suspension is AMAZING. Really love the way it drives.

- Interior looks classy, everything is laid out relatively well. Very roomy.

- Car looks great.

So, I have been looking at other options. Mostly been eyeing off the VW Tiguan 162TSI Highline R-Line. It's a good $8k more than the Forester if you option it up. Most of the "options" should have been standard inclusions really, as some other brands offer similar things in their premium models that aren't options.

A car that seems to get a lot of attention and great reviews is the Mazda CX-5, but it is hands down one of the ugliest SUV's I have ever seen. Looks plain as hell even in the premium model, and looks cheap and nasty. Really ugly car, I don't think I could be seen driving one.

So, what do you guys own, what are your thoughts?

Also, do premium models tend to hold their value and be sought after more than a standard model? Am I better off paying the couple grand extra for a premium model in the long run for resale?
2011 SILHOUETTE FPV GS 315 #0275
20x10", 20x8.5" Lenso D1R's
Pedders XA Coilovers
Brembo 4/1
Pacemaker 1" 7/8 Headers
Twin 3" Stainless Manta Catback
XFT Built Motor
XFT Custom Surge Tank
XFT Stage 3 ZF
Final Drive Chromoly Tailshaft
KPM Twin Air Filter
KPM Stage 2 Intercooler
KPM Twin Throttle Body
2.6L Kenne Bell on E85
BlueStreak Circle D Converter
900+ rwhp thanks to Xtreme Ford Tuning
stazza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2018, 02:46 PM   #2
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Late Model Daily Driven SUV's

One of the crew at work has just bought an Outback . Not brand new but has only a few thousand kays . She showed me the other day . It's the techy one with all the safety stuff . Not my cup of tea , no SUV is to be perfectly honest but it looks great , really safe and Louise and hubby love it . I know it's got Subaru's new collision avoidance stuff because she was showing me that . They owned a Forester before and that was a trouble free car apparently .

Subey's are pretty cool , are well built as you'd already know and have a good reputation . Not a SUV but a good mate had a Subaru Brumby many moons ago and the only issue he had was the CV joints failed a few times . The body finally rusted but the engine and manual trans was really reliable despite him not sparing it at all .

One thing's for sure , there are some great options for your next one so you'll be able to pick one that's right for you . Good luck with it
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-04-2018, 03:48 PM   #3
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had one of the later 4th Gen Liberty sedans for a while. Well built, and better than others in the class (just not as many gadgets). Only thing I've found is they seem to have "cheapened" them with the later generations - probably to be more price competitive, but they don't seem to be as solid anymore, and the build quality in a 5th Gen Liberty hire car I had was woeful compared to the 4th Gen, but still better than a lot of the Thai/Korean assembled competition.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds the CX range butt-ugly.

The current Tiguan is a nicer looking SUV, but dieselgate has marred them - if you're not worried about resale, then it would be my choice for that size, otherwise the Mazda is the pack leader for ease of resale & value retention.

If you're looking to go new, a good mate of mine recently bought an Equinox. Made in Mexico, but pretty well built from the details I looked at. Well equipped too. He's a performance person, owning a number of turbo & V8 models over the years, and he's quite impressed by the turbo 2.0L in it (basically the same as the ZB Commodore). Might be worth checking out for something different.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2018, 03:16 PM   #4
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds the CX range butt-ugly.
You're far from the only one. I hate how they look too

Though I think it's just the grill (Mazda face) that turns me off.

Change that and they look much better. Google KENSTYLE CX5

6 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2018, 06:16 PM   #5
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I looked the class leaders were the Tiguan and CX5. I also didn’t mind the Equinox but I don’t like the way it looks.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2018, 10:48 PM   #6
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My sister had a Tiguan it was a lemon. Spent that much time off the road it was ridiculous.
EBSXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2018, 06:03 PM   #7
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBSXR6 View Post
My sister had a Tiguan it was a lemon. Spent that much time off the road it was ridiculous.
That makes four I know of. Some were V8s & some were 6's but they were all riddled with issues & cost a bomb to repair.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2018, 07:43 PM   #8
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostercam View Post
That makes four I know of. Some were V8s & some were 6's but they were all riddled with issues & cost a bomb to repair.
Ah, so not a Tiguan at all then

Your thinking of a Touareg, totally different car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
There's a lot of distaste for the Forester and XV here. Im surprised. Is there any founded reason why?
Not from me. I'm a Suby enthusiast too, though fear they may have lost their mojo. Seem to be less and less interested in performance (turbo) and more and more interested in things like CVT (yuck),

They need to turn out more cars closer to their concepts, they're hot.

Last edited by Raptor; 06-04-2018 at 08:04 PM.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2018, 11:09 PM   #9
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Raptor;6113673]Ah, so not a Tiguan at all then

Your thinking of a Touareg, totally different car.

Beg yours, not a VW fan. My wifes relos have one though & thats a disaster. Does that count
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2018, 08:07 AM   #10
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

You’ll always get bad roadnoise from an SUV no matter what you buy
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2018, 11:26 AM   #11
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
Road noise comes from tyres and road surface so what makes an SUV different to a sedan?

for wind noise - Smaller cheaper cars have less sound deadening - same applied to lightweight SUV's

My Territory is nice and quiet on smooth freeways
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2018, 11:45 AM   #12
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
I disagree.

Hi spec road going models get more sound deadening, laminated steel fire wall panels and tyres that are designed to reduce road noise.

A road specced SUV suspension and tyre system will be as quiet as any sedan or hatch on the road.

I think you may be confusing off road 4WD's with SUV's.
Fordman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2018, 12:43 PM   #13
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have to disagree also fordomatic. The Santa Fe is a very quiet drive, as are Territories etc that I've driven as work vehicles.

When you think about it, SUV's are the modern day family car in most cases. So it makes sense for the manufacturers to build in as lower level of NVH as is reasonably possible so that the test drive leads to a sale.

Momma likes a nice quiet car!
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2018, 10:15 AM   #14
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whilst it's a slightly larger SUV than you're discussing, we bought wifey a new Santa Fe Elite in December and we're very happy with it thus far. Does everything we wanted and has a heap of features we're still discovering!

This is a couple who still think that intermittent wipers are a pretty flash thing though!

Russ.
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2018, 02:18 PM   #15
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Stazza, I just started shopping with the wife yesterday replacing her Patriot she loves dearly.
She likes the CX3/5 so not sure what your seeing and others but I think its ok.
A very low k Akira looks likely.
Test drove a Cruiser Rav 4 - what a POS.
She won't look at Subi XV/Kia Sportage/Escape doesn't like them.
I'm going to research Kaleos and the new Jeep Compass.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2018, 04:38 PM   #16
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

OK, an ol faithful has come into the party.
Honda CRV.

I like that Raptor !
Old 03-04-2018, 05:46 PM   #17
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I'll be looking at the Premium Subaru Outback or XV in the next month or 2.

I currently have a Gen 4 liberty and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Its been an awesome drive, had very little issues with it in the past 5.5yrs of ownership. I still plan to keep it but get an SUV for those off road duties the liberty can't really perform.

Subies aren't going to appeal to all tastes. But as far as reliability is concerned, I haven't owned a better car that also has a bit of X factor thrown in.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2018, 07:08 PM   #18
Maysik

Over 10 years ago my wife had the old style Santa-Fe. Traded that on the newer model. Had that for 7 years. Then we went bigger.

Father in Law now had his Santa-Fe elite for 3 years.

Great car,

Nil complaints at all.
Maysik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2018, 09:50 PM   #19
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We purchased a CX-5 (Maxx AWD, with 17” alloy wheels) in January. At this stage, I would happily state that this has been a most satisfying vehicle purchase.

Over the last 15 years we have had two Territory (SY AWD petrol and SZ RWD diesel), a 2010 Subaru Forrester (that purchase was a mistake), a FG G6E (nice to drive but was back at the dealer every second month with warranty claims), a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV (amazing technology), and a Holden Calais VF Series II (over tyred) on a short lease.

Mazda have put considerable effort to make the latest CX-5 are significantly quieter that the earlier versions. To the point that the rear doors feature triple seals. The CX-5 steers, handles, and rides exceptionally well. Steering is a tad too light and a tad too responsive for my liking, but the wife absolutely loves how it steers. It is very nice to drive around town and on the open road. Brakes have a nice progressive feel that inspires confidence. Automatic gearbox picks the right gear nearly all of the time. And – hallelujah – the cruise control will gently downshift on downhill inclines to hold to the set speed. My CX-5 has very high levels of fit and finish. There was not a blemish on the car, panel gaps are all even, and the vehicle is screwed together superbly.

My gripes are that the seats on the base model does not have the same level of infinite adjustment as a power seats on the higher spec models. There is no digital speedometer (although the cruise control reports is set speed digitally). There are no air vents for the rear seats on the base model. And the i-Stop takes some getting use to.

During the purchasing process, I did toy with the thought of getting one of the last of the Ford Territory petrol AWD as a demo. What swung the deal the CX-5 way was the level of safety features on the CX-5 that was completely missing on the Territory and that the wife much preferred to drive the CX-5.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2018, 10:00 PM   #20
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazza View Post

Also, do premium models tend to hold their value and be sought after more than a standard model? Am I better off paying the couple grand extra for a premium model in the long run for resale?
Do you mean a higher trim level? I think go for it. You won’t make the extra spend back on resale, but over the longer term it will cost you less if it makes you hang onto the car for longer.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2018, 10:18 PM   #21
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My brother and his woman have a CX-5.
Nice enough car, but very cramped on long drives. My brother is only 6', but he's a bit bigger, and he's not comfortable in it. Nor am I at 6'3 and a good deal skinnier.

It was her pick though, and she ignored all advice from my brother. The longer she owns it the less she likes it, but it's still better than her previous Cruze. I think it's also far worse on fuel than she was expecting.

I wouldn't complain if someone gave one to me, but i'd be going for something a little less claustrophobic for myself. This of course, is entirely subjective. Getting into it from my G6E feels much the same as getting into my girlfriend's A1, it's just a bit higher off the ground.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2018, 12:01 PM   #22
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post
My brother and his woman have a CX-5.
Nice enough car, but very cramped on long drives. My brother is only 6', but he's a bit bigger, and he's not comfortable in it. Nor am I at 6'3 and a good deal skinnier.

It was her pick though, and she ignored all advice from my brother. The longer she owns it the less she likes it, but it's still better than her previous Cruze. I think it's also far worse on fuel than she was expecting.

I wouldn't complain if someone gave one to me, but i'd be going for something a little less claustrophobic for myself. This of course, is entirely subjective. Getting into it from my G6E feels much the same as getting into my girlfriend's A1, it's just a bit higher off the ground.
I test drove a New Gen CX5 with my mum (it was the Touring Spec) and found the same issue as above... It didnt feel very big inside. Im just over 6 foot and I am a little bit husky but I thought it would be bigger inside.. Apart from that I was impressed with everything else... The Mazda Interiors are both high class and well made (same goes for my old 2014 Mazda 6). Compare that to the CR-V's my wife has had in the past (2010 and 2015) which I felt where a heap more roomy and I could ride in them for hours in comfort with plenty of space. Apparently the Latest Gen CR-V is bigger again... In the end mum ended up with a CX-3 because the CX-5 was a bit big considering its really only ever her in the car and they take dad's Ranger most places....

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2018, 12:28 PM   #23
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

I'm leaning towards the CRV VTiS.
Too many CX5's for my liking and as much as I know they have done a great job with their range and sales I feel they are holding high prices due to the demand and bang for buck the CRV is starting to gain favour plus it has a 7yr WTY 7Yr Road assist and the wife has had 2 previous Honda's never having a problem also the son has my old mans Accord Euro that also hasn't missed a beat.
This is our pov as others have their own.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:33 PM   #24
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Does the Escape get a look?

My Diesel Kuga is fantastic and would recommend to anyone.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2018, 12:57 PM   #25
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

My wife wouldn't even take bribe money getting into a Ford, besides no point I'd be up a creek without a paddle not worth the angst.
4 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2018, 09:30 AM   #26
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
My wife wouldn't even take bribe money getting into a Ford, besides no point I'd be up a creek without a paddle not worth the angst.
atm Ford have nothing worth considering in this segment. and from what I can see its the fastest growing
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2018, 05:48 PM   #27
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Considered a late model Subaru Outback? Im surprised these don't get a look in by some.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2018, 11:39 PM   #28
stazza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the replies everyone. Definitely some food for thought.

I test drove the VW Tiguan 132kw version, and it was a mid spec model. A bit too plain jane looking for me, but it went alright I thought, and had a lot of nice features. Was also very quiet in the car road noise wise. Quieter than the Forester anyway.

The highest spec Tiguan is really nice, but there aren't many around at the moment, so I'm gonna head to Perth on Saturday to test drive one.

I still haven't tested a CX-5 yet. However my boss drives a CX-9 (practically looks the same) and every time I roll into work I just look at it in disgust Such an ugly car IMO. Looks very cheap and too round. Has no 'style'. The fron't grille and the bum really ruin it for me. Looks way too basic. I'm sure the interior is nice as I have read and seen in videos, however I can't drive something I cringe at.

You know what I did look at and REALLY liked, and is definitely very high on my list? A SKODA. Wow. What a surprise. A nice looking car too I reckon. But not only that, it gets most of the features of specced up VW's, but is a good $5-10k cheaper. The interior is really nice, also shares the drivetrain and suspension etc with the VW's.

It has 5yrs warranty and roadside assist, plus so many cool little handy features too. For example:

Pull-up window shades in the rear doors, umbrella's stowed in the driver and passenger doors, rear heated seats, rear air-con and heating, a ton of room in the boot, a rechargable LED torch in the boot, a small bin with flip open lid in the passenger door, electric seats in the front, storage drawers under the seats, pop-out rubber door guards for the edges of the doors when you open them so you don't ding cars. Really thoughtful practical features. Would have never even though of Skoda if I didn't see them in the VW car yard. VERY impressed. If I can't get the high spec VW for the price I want, then I'm going for the Skoda I think.

And here's the VW:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
Considered a late model Subaru Outback? Im surprised these don't get a look in by some.
No, I'm not too big on the Outback TBH. I'm sure it's a great car, but I'd like to try something else.

And as for others who asked if I'd try a Ford SUV? Not a chance in hell. Unless their build quality is significantly better than the Falcon, then no way. After owning the Forester, it is MILES ahead in the fit and finish department compared to my Falcon. I love my Fords, but no.
2011 SILHOUETTE FPV GS 315 #0275
20x10", 20x8.5" Lenso D1R's
Pedders XA Coilovers
Brembo 4/1
Pacemaker 1" 7/8 Headers
Twin 3" Stainless Manta Catback
XFT Built Motor
XFT Custom Surge Tank
XFT Stage 3 ZF
Final Drive Chromoly Tailshaft
KPM Twin Air Filter
KPM Stage 2 Intercooler
KPM Twin Throttle Body
2.6L Kenne Bell on E85
BlueStreak Circle D Converter
900+ rwhp thanks to Xtreme Ford Tuning

Last edited by stazza; 05-04-2018 at 11:51 PM.
stazza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2018, 07:26 AM   #29
LTDHO
The one and only

I really hate the fact we have adopted the name 'SUV'
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2018, 08:20 AM   #30
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

stazza - I won't give my money directly to VW forever due to diesel gate bugga them.
I'll look into the Skoda.
Wife wants the CX5 and I'm trying to talk her out of it, I preffered the Honda, don't care which HRV or CRV but she says no because our boys had a bad bingle in her previous CRV saying its bad luck or gives her bad memories after seeing the prang.
I'm near out of options for she doesn't like so many brands its not funny.
Not that I blame her, most look similar, many are fugly not just CX5 to many, the previous model front looks heaps better than this vanilla look across their fronts now.
Subi's no doubt are good cars but they have been fugly for decades she'll never get in one let alone a Ford.