Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-06-2013, 02:56 AM   #1
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Project Ideas? - Suggestions Please

I'm looking for something to “do” with my 13yr old son, something in the way of a project. Something we can “build” for want of a better idea.
This is not just about spending time (we do that) but trying to get him interested in something besides video games. He is an exceptionally smart kid, tested off the scales in math and reading. Does ok at school but is easily bored and has the attention span of a goldfish. He shows some interest in “how things work” but not to the extent of being particularly interested in cars.

I’d like it to be something that will progress over time, and also something practical. It’s got to be something that stimulates his mind and piques his interest. Simply helping me assemble something of my choosing is pointless.

As you can tell, I have no idea, which is why I am asking.

Old 24-06-2013, 08:28 AM   #2
Kevxr8Leexr6

Default Re: Project Ideas? - Suggestions Please

bit old school but turning the humble old lawnmower into a gocart has merit. boasts a mechanical and structure build.
Kevxr8Leexr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

There's some pretty cool ideas on Brown dog gadgets (I think that's the website), lots of different electronic type projects.
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
distortion

build a night vision scope (if you're into gadgets!)

http://www.shooting.com.au/forum/ind...hread-join-in/
distortion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2013, 10:26 AM   #5
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lego Technic...an advanced set of that, one of the big kits. That'll keep him occupied for a while and get the ole' grey matter working! Lego also has prizes for people who come up with new designs for Technic stuff as well.

Something bigger? A go-kart...not a highly strung racing one, but one of those kits you buy, a "normal" four wheel powered kart that can be driven anywhere off road or in a paddock.

Various websites have good electronics projects and kits as well.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2013, 10:28 AM   #6
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Perhaps build a recumbant bike?

* Research the history of it - Literacy skills.
* Sketch sone rough concept sketches - Spatial awareness and creative expression
* Draw a diagram using many of the free sketching programs - Maths, scale, geometry
* Buy materials you need, or better still see what you can use by getting a few broken bike frames - Creative thinking, problem solving, working with efficiency with minimal waste.
* If the frame is steel introduce welding if you think he is up to it, or make the frame out of ply - If he asks how, tell him to look up cars made from non standard materials like the PRB Clubmans made from Honeycomb Composites or the 69 Marcos GT - a wooden framed sports car - Will introduce him to un-orthodox building practices and materials and further problem solving. Think of the mechanics and geometry involved in making the frame from wood. Research of different adhesives, fasteners etc.
* Look into the gearing system of bikes - using maths to calculate gearing and measurement skills to calculate lengths of pedal arms / leverage and 'simple machines' with a basic introduction into ergonomics and the relationship between machine and user.
* Create a cutting list and work together at the start. Introduce correct tool use and safety practices. Look into what happens when 'things go wrong' due to lack of or non existant industrial work place safety practices
* Keep a diary / folio of your work, either on paper or on computer. Take puctures along the way and create an interactive presentation / slide show of the work. Integrate still pictures, video clips, music clips and voice into it. This could be basic or VERY detailed and interactive with links to the net, youtube clips etc. This will introduce computer / media skills and management of electronic property - once done, upload to Youtube.
* Apply a finish or branding to the final product. Look into the base chemicals / solvents used in common liquid finishes - introduction into chemistry or create a logo / brand on a computer program.
* Test out the finished product - think about what could have been better / improved and what worked well - basic understanding of the design process and how a product evolves and improves over several generations - compare to the life of a car like the Falcon??

That will keep him 'off the streets' for a whole lot of week ends!

Not into bikes?? Heaps of other small scale projects to choose from!

And above all, have fun

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2013, 10:39 AM   #7
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

If he is into video games chances are that he may be interested in some electronic/robot projects. Have a look at the Jaycar site.

Here is a simple one.
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...UBCATID=963#11
Old 24-06-2013, 10:39 AM   #8
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

Since he's into video games, maybe you could try finding some old consoles or something similar,.that don't work, and get them working again?
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2013, 07:03 PM   #9
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My father gave me a car to play with when i was 14 to keep me out of trouble. Although by that stage I was already going to computer swap meets with mates and building computers from junk, the die was cast. I also mucked around with a lot of dick smith and jaycar projects. Another little project that gave me a lot of satisfaction was building my own telescope. I was/am such a geek.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #10
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A co-worker's son built his own computer with his dad. I don't know much about that project but both son and father are proud of their project! All I know is it took a lot of work and time.
NickyN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #11
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Haaa I still have those Dick Smith books running around.. What were they called?? "Funway into Electronics" or something?? Orange book was project 1-10 and then you needed to buy a different book for 11-20...

I can still see his face on the cover saying how you could build a beer powered radio!... Mmmm Beer...

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-06-2013, 07:59 PM   #12
Ibanezteve
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If he is a reasonably smart kid, astronomy might be a good idea. Or if you have some cash to throw around, you could try building up a portfolio in the stock market with him.
Ibanezteve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #13
tregs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How about ask your son what he would like to do ?
Old 24-06-2013, 09:15 PM   #14
creative
I am Batman

Nitro rc cars.

He builds it and you both go the a local rc track and race it. Great fun all around, meet new people whilst learning about nitro cars
Rebuilt Boss260 with #Kellogs 1500hp forged and balanced crank#Manley forged flattop pistons with a 9.5/1cr#4340 forged h-beam rods with arp bolts#Clevit performance rod and main bearings#full ARP headstud kit#total seal rings#Mantic twin plate development clutch and lightened flywheel#Mellings uprated oil pump#Mainforce Performance Supercharger kit#AU motorsport 345mm big brake kit.

Now producing 369.7rwkw/496rwhp@6000 and 515ft/lb torque @ 11 psi.
Now sat on an engine stand going nowhere
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2013, 11:09 PM   #15
AJ09

My 11 year old and I have been building this Go Kart - Just for fun. It's nearly finished...

I also have a 14 year old, and to be honest I don't think he's interested at all really. The OP could have been describing my Son as he sounds exactly the same.

One thing he does have a passion for is designing and artwork (eg- marketing material etc) and he is also excellent at freehand drawing. We only found out when my Wife found his sketch book.

I put him to the test recently, I needed a flyer designed to promote some clearance stock ( I run a wholesale company ) and the designer I use was away. I gave my Son a rough idea of what I needed and left him alone at the computer. The end result looked like a flyer we had done professionally. He even admitted to enjoying it!!

Plenty of good suggestions from other replies on here too, hopefully this helps.

Cheers.

Last edited by AJ09; 04-08-2013 at 06:31 PM.
AJ09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #16
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

Maybe turn a Ferrari into a Hyundai Excel . they do that kinda thing in Indonesia all the time !

I'm not arrogent , Just superior
Blue Oval Mopar Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #17
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Throw his X box in bin and make him mow old people's lawns and tidy up yards for $5 a pop...

you supply the $5...
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2013, 05:16 PM   #18
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My 12 Sons the same, my 10yo daughter will happly, sink her self in to all manner of projects and see them through, be it painting, cooking, building things in the shed with me. but my son computer games and TV, when we first moved to land he was great but now, he has his vegge garden with his pop and his chooks but give him the option and hes back on his i somthing or gameing.

Last weekend it was wet and I have been wanting to do somthing for a while to have the amp and speakers fit better on the Chev truck.

I said over cornflakes I want to tidy the amp and speakers on the truck up so it doesnt look so just thrown in on the floor.

He came up with the idea of an old fruit box and to cover the speakers so they look old.

this is what we came up with

that IMHO will look right at home on the trucknrolla

Its made out of some light weight pallets we get in at work and some old ply we had in the shed he worked side by side with me pulling the pallets apart and building the "fruit crate" and top he glued and screwed the ply to the Council clean up speakers and put the fronts on them (they looked very 2000 build cheap markets quality so we made them look oldskool) and I taught him to wire and solder it all up, to the point where he was doing most of it.

yea its simple yea it looks rough as guts, but it suits the truck and besides I though the challange out to find me a more period correct ipod dock

that was only a 1 day wonder, but my point is it doesnt need to be expencive or long term (infact I think its best to start short with kids with sort term attention spans) he had a ball and is telling any one who will listen (and some that wont) that he built a ipod dock for the truck so it worked well for us

its really a simple thing a $15 ebay amp a battery off the scrap pile at work a charger I found under my father in laws house and a few plugs conectors and cables from Jay car, grand total out lay under $30

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)

Last edited by The Yeti; 25-06-2013 at 05:22 PM.
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #19
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a custom push bike? something he can show off to his mates?
how about an older 80cc dirt bike?
at 13 i had a boat and i helped my dad build up an old outboard for it (i painted it)
i had my own boat since i was 12 and got my first speeding fine at 12 years old
or you could buy something from the year he was born and do it up so he can keep it and hand down to his kids
i'm 33y/o now and last year my dad gave me a bike that was named after the guy i was named after, needs restoration but its something i will never sell.
i suppose it has to be something cool or he might lose interest
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2013, 06:20 PM   #20
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

+1 for the Jaycar mention, they sell these little kits you put together, solder stuff etc.

It would be worth a shot.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2013, 09:42 PM   #21
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Haaa I still have those Dick Smith books running around.. What were they called?? "Funway into Electronics" or something?? Orange book was project 1-10 and then you needed to buy a different book for 11-20...

I can still see his face on the cover saying how you could build a beer powered radio!... Mmmm Beer...
Glad I'm not the only fan of Funway into Electronics. Bought both volumes and built and rebuilt them so many times that eventually the transistors ended up with two legs and capacitors with one.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2013, 10:59 PM   #22
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks, some great ideas here.
I liked “electronics” when I was a little kid, in the days when you could solder a bunch of things on a circuit board and it would do something interesting. Sadly that has long since been surpassed by the chips.
I'm still a bit annoyed at my Dad. He lived an incredible life, and was such a hoarder that he had an incredible array of stuff, but he got rid of all of it before he died. Reason I mention that is that I reckon showing my son that you could build a basic digital computer from old vacuum valves would be a hoot. Dad started out as a radio tech with the RAAF, and used to have crates of old stuff, but sadly it’s all gone.

I'm liking the idea of some kind of off-road go-cart/ buggy. I'm thinking something small enough to fit in the wagon, that he could have design, build, then have some fun with, and yet be reasonably safe.
I wonder how feasible a dc electric buggy would be? How much speed and range could we get from some modern AGM batteries?
Old 26-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #23
MarkAW

Buy him a small lathe and a pedestal drill then lock him up in the garage for a year until he builds one of these:

http://www.wimp.com/tiniestengine/
MarkAW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #24
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another vote for the go cart idea, doesn't have to be a proper track go cart(they are expensive) , just fun cart that once built you can take him out to a paddock/vacant block somewhere and have a blast, teach him to weld/fabricate, he will have a ball.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #25
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post

I'm liking the idea of some kind of off-road go-cart/ buggy. I'm thinking something small enough to fit in the wagon, that he could have design, build, then have some fun with, and yet be reasonably safe.
The problem is unless they have an interest ,its a hard ask to get them involved
Before shelling out any sorta bucks on such an adventure take him, perhaps the family to the local cart track ,get a few laps under his belt , if theres a smiile and he is hooked , look in that direction
If theres just nothing there, anything down that path is a waste
Want something cheap to build,look at a VW beetle turned into a buggy
Buy something cheap running with a sad body,unbolt anything not required,pan, suspension ,running gear stay as one unit, cage up ,coupla weekends work, theres your cheap fun buggy
Wont fit in a wagon,or a box trailer, but probably cost less than a grand , which is a bout what a half decent size quad would cost
Heaps more fun,more stable and learn how to drive at the same time
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2013, 08:57 PM   #26
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Thanks, some great ideas here.
I liked “electronics” when I was a little kid, in the days when you could solder a bunch of things on a circuit board and it would do something interesting. Sadly that has long since been surpassed by the chips.
I'm still a bit annoyed at my Dad. He lived an incredible life, and was such a hoarder that he had an incredible array of stuff, but he got rid of all of it before he died. Reason I mention that is that I reckon showing my son that you could build a basic digital computer from old vacuum valves would be a hoot. Dad started out as a radio tech with the RAAF, and used to have crates of old stuff, but sadly it’s all gone.
Go build a valve amp with your kid then. Everyone loves looking at glowing valves!!!!
Old 26-06-2013, 09:52 PM   #27
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So this project needs to be something that will keep his interest because you said he loses interest quickly. If he isn't interested in cars, he might not be that interested in any kind of gocart/buggy project either.

What's he been interested in, in the past? Maybe he'd rather pick up a sport with you, something like golf or maybe tennis? I'm wondering if he wants a longterm project, you know?
Old 27-06-2013, 07:21 PM   #28
obsessed
Starter Motor

Your son sound like a lot 13 yr olds how about trying something he'likes then something you both like, my 34yr old never did anything practical as a kid, but now rings me up to tell me about some small mecanical job which as a very successful profesional he could easy afford to pay a garage to do go figger
obsessed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2013, 10:08 PM   #29
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyN View Post
So this project needs to be something that will keep his interest because you said he loses interest quickly. If he isn't interested in cars, he might not be that interested in any kind of gocart/buggy project either.

What's he been interested in, in the past? Maybe he'd rather pick up a sport with you, something like golf or maybe tennis? I'm wondering if he wants a longterm project, you know?
Nah, he’s easily bored with stuff he doesn’t find interesting, but once interested he’s like a dog with a bone. Any project will have to get his interest, that’s a given, I just need ideas to run past him.
A “go-cart” would need to be something he could have fun with in the pines, rather than actual racing. That’s always an option later if that’s the road his interests go.

Sport is also something we’re “pursuing”.
Old 28-06-2013, 05:28 AM   #30
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Has he looked at all of these ideas yet? Did any of these pique his interest?

Maybe there's something he's been thinking of and hasn't told you of it yet?