Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-06-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Voucher/discount sites

Does anyone on here ever use or buy anything from site's like groupon catch of the day etc.....

I was thinking of buying a car service voucher from one of those sites but was wondering is it actually value for money or are they just another gimmick

Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: Voucher/discount sites

No, they are value for money. Used them several times without issue.

With car servicing, read the fine print very carefully. You may be paying to the labour only, and they will then add consumables on top (at a price of their choice) etc... you see where this is going.

I had an ex GF who signed up to a similar deal when they came knocking door to door and when she told me about it they charged he a very high amount for 3 different flushes / additives and a waste disposal charge - almost $70 worth.

Buyer beware.....

Also, it is a cash cow the the owners of these sites. From what I understand they only release the money to the business when you redeem the voucher.. and many go missing, expire or are simply never used.

I know of people who get the vouchers emailed to them, then they call the business and ask if they can come in and pay the face value of the voucher, bypassing the voucher company commission... usually with restaurants.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2013, 04:46 PM   #3
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We've gotten a few vouchers from catch of the day (I think is where the mrs gets them) we've done a few touristy things with them, 1 from memory was a cruise around the harbour with lunch on Goat Island over looking the Harbour Bridge, we grabbend them when we found out we had friends coming from Europ and this gave them a tour on the Harbour and a little convict history and lunch for not a lot at all.

we sayed in the city and drank every thing we saved on the cruise at one of the many establishemts between the fortune of war and Jacksons on George but thats another story

all seemed to work well for us

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #4
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

I have no problems with groupon or catch of the day. Picked up some really good deals on restaurants and day outings. As Yellow said read the fine print for T&C's, I've steered off a few because they didn't suit my time of availability.

My only complaint was that I signed up for email alerts - inbox got nuked, especially if you sign up for a few sites. Easy to unsubscribe though.

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #5
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have used a service voucher, was pretty good, I think I got it from groupon. Think it was a labour free one and what I got charged was pretty normal for service charges.
I am joined up to. Groupon, Scoopon, Our Deal, Living Social and Cudo. I mostly use them for eateries etc as we have only recently moved to Gold Coast. There are lots of other offers but you still have to watch out for prices and compare. It is easy to sign up and easy to unsubscribe too. I've never heard of catch of the day but I might add it to my list.