Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-10-2011, 07:18 PM   #451
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibe_xr6
Still trying, Have been hassling them heaps to. Outa ideas and starting to get annoyed
****** me off to think they wont even give me a try, i just wanna get outer this town and make some $$$ and get onto some real equipment.
Its been 12 months since i drove a machine, missing it
are you lying on your resume???.. if not i encourage it..

make NO mentions you havent driven plant in 12 months..

YOU ARE A GUN OPERATOR.. and could drive a dead cat with three legs..

if youre not lying.. youre not trying..
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2011, 03:02 AM   #452
nasss92

I'm also looking to get into the mining game, but slightly different approach than being a rig operator.. Im looking at getting into the planning side of things, dealing with mine expansion, environmentally sustainable development, infrastructure etc

Could any of those in the industry assist in directing me? What are some promising mining sites ? somewhere near a major city or the water would be good
nasss92 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2011, 08:53 PM   #453
vibe_xr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
are you lying on your resume???.. if not i encourage it..

make NO mentions you havent driven plant in 12 months..

YOU ARE A GUN OPERATOR.. and could drive a dead cat with three legs..

if youre not lying.. youre not trying..
lieings bad mmkkkaayy, ill have a think of what other crap i can put in there
Old 23-10-2011, 09:08 PM   #454
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
lieings bad mmkkkaayy, ill have a think of what other crap i can put in there
just load it up bro.. be in it to win it.. your little white lies are nothing on what i've seen...
Old 23-10-2011, 09:19 PM   #455
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my day job.. fixing this stuffs...

heavy fixed plant.. pays the bills..
Old 23-10-2011, 09:25 PM   #456
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasss92
I'm also looking to get into the mining game, but slightly different approach than being a rig operator.. Im looking at getting into the planning side of things, dealing with mine expansion, environmentally sustainable development, infrastructure etc

Could any of those in the industry assist in directing me? What are some promising mining sites ? somewhere near a major city or the water would be good
not sure of your background.. a lot of the residential mining towns have local councils..
planning and liasing with the local mines.. maybe start with those guys..
Old 24-10-2011, 02:11 AM   #457
HenryFordJr

Spent 4 years in an underground coal mine near Emerald, was an underground driller on 120k a year plus bonuses.

Great money and work but an absolute crap lifestyle, living in the middle of nowhere in accommodation that's not fit for an animal..

And the only thing to do is drink and spend all your money at the pub. If you can handle the isolation, and can be sensible with your money go right ahead..

First Car: 1972 ZF Fairlane - 351 Cleveland, FMX Auto, 9"LSD 2:92
HenryFordJr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2011, 03:27 AM   #458
nasss92

Pottery beige - I will be coming from a town planning background. im currently studying, but We have to do one whole years worth of work experience for the course next year and iv been looking into going into the mining sector. High pressure, high returns and very interesting, is right up my alley

my understanding is alot of the mining firms have their own planners dealing with their production, maintenance and management, construction, enviro sustain development, dealing with councils LEPs DCPs SEPPs etc .. so looking to get in on that
nasss92 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2011, 08:17 AM   #459
druxr6t

I have been thinking hard about going and working in the mines! My partner and I are thinking about a lifestyle change, currently we live in Outer Sydney but both of us work in the city, were travel daily is ridiculous and you can really feel that your in the 'rat race'!

So the plan at the moment is to get a job in the mines but like alot of people, no experience and in NSW makes it hard. I've got Excavator/Bobcat/4T Dump Truck Experience (Tickets for the first two) plus have worked on large building sites since I have started working! I would love to land FIFO work in WA, maybe we take a gamble and move over to WA?
druxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2011, 09:43 AM   #460
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryFordJr
Spent 4 years in an underground coal mine near Emerald, was an underground driller on 120k a year plus bonuses.

Great money and work but an absolute crap lifestyle, living in the middle of nowhere in accommodation that's not fit for an animal..

And the only thing to do is drink and spend all your money at the pub. If you can handle the isolation, and can be sensible with your money go right ahead..

there in lies the problem for us residents in "the middle of nowhere". the more FIFO or DIDO the less the government/councils invest in the regional towns hence basic infrastructure fails.
everyone wants the money the unions have fought for over the years but few want to live locally to support the towns/unions to improve on what we've already got. the big 3 miners are loving it.
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2011, 09:59 AM   #461
vibe_xr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im off to wollongong guys, Not quiet a mine, But $1800 a week for a 20 year old, Free accommodation, And the coast, Pretty excited.

Annnnnd plant operating of course
Old 26-10-2011, 12:10 PM   #462
wicksy
Just a bogan VF SS driver

im off to Burton Coal now, $55.73ph lifestyle roster, beats the 7 n 7 with a young family,
Old 26-10-2011, 12:20 PM   #463
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Im off to wollongong guys, Not quiet a mine, But $1800 a week for a 20 year old, Free accommodation, And the coast, Pretty excited.

Annnnnd plant operating of course
Nice! What trade is that?

I had an screening phone interview with Vale yesterday...hopefully will get a call back.
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2011, 01:16 PM   #464
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Oil n gas... $5200 p/week more if im on the rigs. 2wks on 2 off. Just got transfered to Devils Creek, 3wks on 1 off, commissioning
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2011, 01:22 PM   #465
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo347
Oil n gas... $5200 p/week more if im on the rigs. 2wks on 2 off. Just got transfered to Devils Creek, 3wks on 1 off, commissioning
That is mental! With which company?
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2011, 01:30 PM   #466
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Global Resources mate $84+ offshore allowance. Mechy Fitter
Quote:
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
Old 26-10-2011, 03:00 PM   #467
vibe_xr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Nice! What trade is that?

I had an screening phone interview with Vale yesterday...hopefully will get a call back.
Civil construction mate, Which is great money for that ! Cant wait to get outa here, Bring on 2012 !!!
Old 26-10-2011, 06:49 PM   #468
gtfpv
GT

Quote:

2 weeks on /and 2 weeks off . do you get $20800 for that ?
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2011, 07:18 PM   #469
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

probs no working/no payment??

i was once offered a position like that in Sth Africa. month on, month off but no pay on the off month...

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2011, 07:49 PM   #470
HenryFordJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-0733
there in lies the problem for us residents in "the middle of nowhere". the more FIFO or DIDO the less the government/councils invest in the regional towns hence basic infrastructure fails.
everyone wants the money the unions have fought for over the years but few want to live locally to support the towns/unions to improve on what we've already got. the big 3 miners are loving it.
Sorry if I offended by the "middle of nowhere" comment, I have always been a city boy so living in a mining town was rather difficult for me.

The town I lived in was Tieri which is known for it's poor conditions. And the problem with people living locally and supporting the mining towns is the cost of living,

I was disgusted at the land values and general living expenses in some of these towns, I can really understand why no one wants to live there..

First Car: 1972 ZF Fairlane - 351 Cleveland, FMX Auto, 9"LSD 2:92
HenryFordJr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2011, 08:14 PM   #471
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sorry if I offended by the "middle of nowhere" comment, I have always been a city boy so living in a mining town was rather difficult for me.

The town I lived in was Tieri which is known for it's poor conditions. And the problem with people living locally and supporting the mining towns is the cost of living,

I was disgusted at the land values and general living expenses in some of these towns, I can really understand why no one wants to live there..
If it was a nice place and people wanted to live there they would not have to pay such high wages.

There are mines opening here at the moment but the wages are nothing like those paid in the middle of nowhere yet there are many many job applicants.

On the other hand not everyone likes big cities, the term "capital punishment" always come to mind........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2011, 08:33 PM   #472
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
2 weeks on /and 2 weeks off . do you get $20800 for that ?
No mate I get paid $1100 on my weeks off. 13k p/mth excluding a/l and sickies etc. gas turbines n compressors, power generation
Quote:
Old 26-10-2011, 08:34 PM   #473
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

no worries man, Tieri is about an hour south of here and are part of the same council since the government forced the "amalgamation" on us.
the high costs of land and housing is actually a result from major mining companies possessing most of the land around the regional towns. they don't release this land for infrastructure as they want it for, obviously, mining and the more there is to mine then the government gets more revenue, which unfortunetaly is not put back into the areas which most need it. the flip side to that is if the local towns are crap then no-one wants to live there, basically a catch 22. something that wasn't a problem 10 years or so ago when companies employed to retain rather than fly by nighters.
Old 26-10-2011, 08:36 PM   #474
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
If it was a nice place and people wanted to live there they would not have to pay such high wages.

There are mines opening here at the moment but the wages are nothing like those paid in the middle of nowhere yet there are many many job applicants.

On the other hand not everyone likes big cities, the term "capital punishment" always come to mind........
i'd suggest the generous wages have been fought and won by the unions over the last century or so, or at least in the coal industry anyway.
Old 26-10-2011, 08:47 PM   #475
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-0733
i'd suggest the generous wages have been fought and won by the unions over the last century or so, or at least in the coal industry anyway.
Spot on join up n pay your dues, they are there to help. CFMEU FTW
Quote:
Old 26-10-2011, 08:52 PM   #476
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No mate I get paid $1100 on my weeks off. 13k p/mth excluding a/l and sickies etc. gas turbines n compressors, power generation
oil n gas is where the kanga is.. next on my list when i've finished playing big dirty stuffs....
Old 26-10-2011, 09:08 PM   #477
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Yeah I haven't looked back since I got out of the iron ore game. Gotta love boat/chopper transfers tho hahahah
Quote:
Old 26-10-2011, 10:31 PM   #478
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Underground tomorrow. Start middle of november.
ZF - Optioned interior - Hardlid - Rapidsystems V4.5 kit - GTX3576R - Crow Cams Valve springs - 1000cc KPM injectors - 20" MC Racing Wheels - DashDaq/Cobalt Gauges - 4in dump/3.5in exhaust system - Shockworks Coilovers - 30mm Swaybar - Shockworks 4pot 355mm front brakes - GT R-spec rear brakes
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
Stazza_Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2011, 10:44 PM   #479
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stazza_Brendan
Underground tomorrow. Start middle of november.
Good Luck mate
Quote:
Old 26-10-2011, 10:49 PM   #480
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

What are the requirements to get into Oil/Gas?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post