Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-01-2006, 11:04 AM   #1
347_XR8
Slide Baby Slide

Default Nats Accident

I just read in the Herald Sun that there was an accidetn last night at Summernats. apperantly a 5 year-old boy suffered head injuries when a stunt car crashed into the crowd.
Anyone got anymore details? :

Mr Super Skid-Man
347_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 11:06 AM   #2
LUXO_8
windsor user

damn, that doesnt sound good....
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 11:13 AM   #3
naughts
Hmmmmm Mulberry....

I didn't realize you could read Lukey!!!!!!!!
LOL
Naughts
naughts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 11:18 AM   #4
EB_5.0_WAGON
Formerly known as NUDGE

here is the link to it
http://www.sundaytelegraph.news.com....3-1702,00.html
2004 Toyota Prado GXL
EB_5.0_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 11:27 AM   #5
The Monty
Just slidin'

Well, thats no good is it? Now well get more "Hoon cars shouldnt be alowed on our roads" headlines again.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:30 AM   #6
tickin
FPV-Tickford Club of NSW

yes.. we were there, seen it happen unfortunatly...
It was the CAPA stunt show...
There was 2 CAPA utes and the Drift Monaro doing drifting displays on the dirt area after teh supercruise and they pretty much couldnt do it on the dirt... they lost it a few times and then one just lost it and ploughed straight through the wire fence and into the crowd (not good at all) and at the speed they were going it was always gunna happen... it was really dangerous... dont know how they allowed it in the first place!!!
tickin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 11:32 AM   #7
LUXO_8
windsor user

damn......wonder what the outcome will be then
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 11:47 AM   #8
HOON69
Banned

Default Only A Matter Of Time!

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,17760593-2,00.html

Quote:
Stunt driver crash injures five

January 08, 2006

A FIVE-YEAR-OLD boy received head injuries and four other people were injured when a stunt driver crashed into the crowd at a packed car rally last night.
Organisers of the SummerNats rally in Canberra faced questions about safety when another accident occurred a short time later, trapping a second stunt driver after he lost control of his car.

The injured boy was standing against a metre-high chain-link fence during the Super Cruise event in the main arena at Canberra's SummerNats when the driver lost control about 8.40pm (AEDT).

He received a large cut to his head and was unconscious as he was carried from the crowd to an intensive-care ambulance.

He was taken to Canberra Hospital with two other people, a 30-year-old woman with a broken leg and a man with a minor injury to his right hand.

"It was shocking," one witness said.

The SummerNats organiser made an announcement to the 50,000-strong crowd shortly after the crash, claiming there had been no serious injuries.

"There are some people with bumps, bruises, cuts, and maybe some broken bones," Chic Henry told the rowdy crowd.

"It is very fortunate, and we can be very, very thankful. Let's wish these people well and hope they come back tomorrow."

There was confusion in the crowd after the crash. Many cheered, thinking it was part of the show.

But those near the accident were upset, with some saying it was no surprise there had been an accident.

"They were doing this thing where they were stunt driving, doing burnouts and sliding right up to the fence," one bystander said.

"We were saying: 'God, that looks really dangerous on a dirt, gravel track.'

"Then, after the crash, the ute tried to back out of the fence, but the more he tried to back out, the more bogged he became."

About an hour after the accident, a second crash occurred, trapping a stunt driver whose car had flipped over during a jump.

Firefighters, police, ambulance officers and ground marshals rushed to the scene of the accident.

The driver was trapped for almost an hour before being cut free from the wreck.

As ground announcers tried to calm the crowd by making jokes, thousands of people watched emergency services treat the driver and clear away the debris from the field.
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 11:50 AM   #9
JD86
DELANY

no good at all
Old 08-01-2006, 12:21 PM   #10
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

This event has been getting further and further away from its roots every year! I hear "Death Bells" for all Summernats driving events soon!

A small boy injured, Disgraceful!

Any new news about his condition?
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 01:29 PM   #11
X ORSMXR
missing the panther

Mate l have seen this coming for the past 5 years, This is the main reason why l do not go anymore as they have lost the Roots of the Summernats and have gone crazy over Booze, tits n ИИИИ and not much emphasis on the cars which is what the event was foundered,,,,,l think he is just a bit money hungry now.......
X ORSMXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 01:44 PM   #12
The Monty
Just slidin'

See what happens when you give Greg Murphy a ute to drift?
Old 08-01-2006, 02:07 PM   #13
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
See what happens when you give Greg Murphy a ute to drift?
lol but i do have to agree with ORSM i went 4 years ago even then the show already away from the so-called "roots" its all about as u said tits booze and the effects of booze its is after all a car show i think that they should restructre the show so that it does include wat it was orignally desgined to showcase, CARS
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 02:14 PM   #14
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I hope those injured are ok.
If it's correct, I can't believe that they would hold a display like this on a gravel/dirt track, so close to the crowd, who were only protected by a 1m chain link fence. Then start making joke's after the second incident.
If those opposed to the Nats need anymore amunition to get the event canned, they've got it now.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 02:20 PM   #15
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Lets be honest the drivers are meant to be able to control their cars, more to the point "Drive to the conditions".
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 03:54 PM   #16
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I went last year and never drank any booze,and never saw a naked pair of tits but I did see a football field covered in cars,about 10 pavillions full of cars and car related stuff,no tits there. Saw lots of cars going around the roads can't say I saw anyone drunk driving the cars but I did see a number of idiots walking around ИИИИed. Probably about 1% of those there.Thats on par with any other sporting event including cricket,football and car racing. Bathurst would be the only exception where as the same as Summernats there is a large contingent camping at the event. I'm not saying theres none of that stuff but its not anywhere near as bad as some make it out to be. I can't imagine any of those things being the contributing factor in a stunt crash.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:11 PM   #17
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

why was the little kid so close to the fence, if he wasnt so close to the fence maybe he wouldnt have been injured!
As far as i am concerned: the nats blow, It's full of drunk bogans looking for a girl to harrass!
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 05:13 PM   #18
X ORSMXR
missing the panther

Mate you must have left early and not stuck around for the Saturday night entertainment of bozzed up crowds forcing guys to do burnouts while a crowd of 1 to 2 hundred people watching inches away from the car and then giving death threats to the security if they intervine so much goes on when the sun goes down as guys that have been going for years will agree with me this an event that is getting out of hand evry year it's on...
Old 08-01-2006, 05:17 PM   #19
X ORSMXR
missing the panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfr rob
why was the little kid so close to the fence, if he wasnt so close to the fence maybe he wouldnt have been injured!
As far as i am concerned: the nats blow, It's full of drunk bogans looking for a girl to harrass!

Mate if you have been before l think they came out just after the supercruise sp thats why the kids a so close to the fence and to be honest what they where doind was very unsafe at anytime as the fence is only a little waist high cyclone fence.....

At the end of the day this just gives the Government more ammo to cann the event once and for all as they have been trying to shut it down now for the past 5 years.....
Old 08-01-2006, 05:19 PM   #20
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

yeah, i was bein stupid, i know why the kids were so close, i havebeen once, and i am NEVER going again!!

It will probaly be shut down soon, a few mre little things like this and it will!

( fingers crossed )
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 05:21 PM   #21
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I go usually for a few hours on Saturday to check out the Show N Shine. Too many idiots after Dark. Security are useless. All they care about is their free ticket and getting paid.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 05:42 PM   #22
KOUPE76
OLD SKOOL BABY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORSMXR
Mate l have seen this coming for the past 5 years, This is the main reason why l do not go anymore as they have lost the Roots of the Summernats and have gone crazy over Booze, tits n ИИИИ and not much emphasis on the cars which is what the event was foundered,,,,,l think he is just a bit money hungry now.......

I went to Summernats 3,4,5 & 6 and had the best time of my youth, especially when the supercruise was on Northbourne Ave. As you said ORSMXR, it's all about the Booze, tits n ИИИИ. $$$$$$$$

1976 XB GS COUPE (waiting to start the rebuild)
KOUPE76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 05:53 PM   #23
BJ
Banned

All i can say is this will sound the death knock for theses type of events in the future
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 06:27 PM   #24
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Both the summernats organisers and the Capa ute boys should have known better than to do those sort of stunts without proper safety barriers, especially on a gravel surface.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 06:35 PM   #25
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

The sooner they can this event the better, it's not about the vehicle's anymore, like other's have said this is a slow dying event.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 06:51 PM   #26
MikGan

I was also there, only meters from where it came through the fence. The car didnt really get that far through the fence to tell ya the truth, the front wheels only just got over the gutter under the fence, it was the horizontal pipe elements of the fence that went into the crowd.

There were 3 cars performing the stunts, 1 car seemed VERY in control and aVERY good driver display, while the other 2 didnt seem as confident, infact the accident happened when the capable drive tried to drift under one of the lesser drivers on the last turn before the stadium straight.

I think there might have been something to say for the skills of the driver in question but hypothetically if all 3 drivers displayed the skill of the one good one, there would be very little chance of there being an accident, all be it theres alway a small chance.

Friday and friday night are good still, and sunday is GREAT, its basically the best of the best all day. Saturday during the day is just fine also, saturday night, well... I can see what everyones on about, but its just like a small city, if you walk down dark alleys you might get into touble and thats the same at the nats there are areas that are obviously less safe than others, less lighting, less staff, more hoons, but if u stay clear of those places (if thats not your thing) and stay around the main ground and the pavilions then you'll be right, I always think it gets a bad beat up. Ive only been the last 4 years now but I still think its a good show, and I even take the misses I think its that safe.
MikGan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 06:55 PM   #27
Josh_XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeh they have been trying to close it for ages, this might be the last summernats in canberra anyway. CAPA should have known better, an accident was always going to happen sooner than later, those fenses are worthless down there, its sad though a 5 yr old boy was hurt because of it.

I do like the summernats although i would love to see alcohol banned/not sold at summernats as there are to many ***** drunk there.

Hope the boy is alright.
Josh_XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 07:13 PM   #28
TCK-098

I was there last night but left the event just after the supercruise finished ANd after the last 10 years of myself attending i wonder now if this event will hopefully be canned as all it is now doing is filling up Chic henrys ******* pocket and what would he care.

hope the kid makes a speedy recovery
Old 08-01-2006, 07:16 PM   #29
jcxr
Tribal Elder

I just got back from Phillip islands annual Kustoms Kruse ,at which there was approx 600 cars, not one drunk spotted, no bogans, an absolute pearler of three days enjoying hot rods,customs,bikes,muscle cars etc.This is where its at, not out with the yobboes and the bling bling boys.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 07:22 PM   #30
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_XC
I do like the summernats although i would love to see alcohol banned/

Hope the boy is alright.
Never a true a word spoken.. Willowbank is alcohol free and everyone gets on really well, I think the Nats would benefit from being Booze Free. What they loose in sponsorship dollars they would make at the gate by drawing more show stopping cars and alot of families back to the event.

THey are running out of options, the moved from NY, they canned the SuperCruise, searching for BYO to minise the dunkards didn't work.. Ban it all together, if you a drunk they kick you out FULL STOP THE END!!

I know its not related directly to the tragic accident with the young fella, but from a promoters point of view, they have to appease the crowd and a drunk rowdy crowd can't be allowed to get bored. If you have a civil bunch of car enthusiasts together cancelling or postphoning an event is not the end of the world.

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post