Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-05-2018, 01:13 AM   #1
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Best & Worst Falcons

Yeah, its a Sunday Night thread. Don't like it, don't post.

Please respect others personal opinions, that's all these are. There are no intrinsically right or wrong answers.

So these are my picks, please post your own.
  1. XR
    I'm biased, I grew up riding in the back of an XR wagon.
    This was our first V8, the first GT, and first Bathurst win.
    Also the first high-roof PV.
    Ours was only a "Falcon 500" but it had a heater, push-button radio, and a super-pursuit 200. Compared to the Holdens of the day, it was a starship.
  2. EL
    IMHO this remains one of the best looking Falcons of all time, including the XR6/8.
    Most of the e-series foibles had been ironed out, the engines were strong, including the recently reintroduced Windsor.
    With airbags, abs, etc, etc, they were very well equipped.
  3. BA
    Twin-Cam engines standard across the range, Factory Turbo, IRS, and a spread of OHC V8s available across the whole range. Well equipe and updated interior. No wonder it won COTY in 2002, and for a time reeled in the Commode. My only criticisms are the bland styling, and the delayed 6spd trannies.

And for my not-so favourites:
  1. EA
    The EA26 was behind schedule and still not ready when it went on sale. We finally got the OHC engine due two years previously, and it was a dog. Leaky and prone to head problems. Still had a 3sp, the front-end was atrocious, and the interior defined "cheap'n'nasty." It's only claim to fame was being better than the Frankensteinian Abomination that was the VN
  2. XD
    I liked the XD, but lets be honest, it was an XA/B/C with a new body.
    If Holden hadn't made the monumentally stupid decision to replace the Kingswood with the Torana-sized Opel Commodore, the XD would have flopped badly. It still had leaf springs, 4sp manual, and carburettors. Plus their first attempt at an alloy head proved to be water-soluble.
  3. FG
    Whilst it was of course the best ever Falcon produced to date, it was also a dinosaur. We can debate whether Ford had already made the decision to Kill off the Falcon and Australian Production. At the very least, the lack of a wagon, lack of LWB, lack of V8 options, plus the decision not to update the Territory to the new platform, all pointed to the beginning of the end.
    For 50 years the Falcon grew larger, heavier, more powerful, and thirstier, and with the FG they finally jumped the Shark.
    Then of course there was there was the whole dropping of the iconic Fairmont and Ghia badges. Might as well have been called the FU.
    Who knows if anything could have saved the Falcon or our Industry, but the FG certainly didn't help.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2018, 09:24 AM   #2
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Best & Worst Falcons

Disagree with the FG. It wasn’t a bad piece of kit when launched in 2008 and was no worse tech or asthetically wise than Mondeo or VE and other Jap/Korean cars of the time.
Easy to say in hindsight as to why the Falcon failed but the slide started way before the FG. No matter how good the FG was it was never going to save it. It is a bugger Ford flogged it for nearly ten years as the dinosaur perception is what has stuck in some people’s minds but I struggle to see what constitutes a dinosaur... Mondeo has be going on for just as long with **** poor sales to match.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2018, 09:27 AM   #3
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AU Falcon is both. The best and worst Falcon ever made.
Worst styled falcon ever made, but best in every other way.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2018, 09:29 AM   #4
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

I also disagree with the FG being in the worst category.
The FG ironed out most of the issues of the BA, BF series, and the final FG MKII’s and FG X are fairly solid and very reliable cars.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2018, 09:32 AM   #5
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For me....

The best.
1. FG. Such a graceful design imo. And those engines... Awesome.
2. XW. Ph2 One of my all time faves.
3. XD. Even with leaf springs looks tough as nails with wide rubber.

The worst.
1. XF. Soft front end and no 8
2. EA. little rushed and once again no 8
3. ED. Just never liked the look of it.
Old 28-05-2018, 09:38 AM   #6
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Best was XA coupe
Worst, FGX, was a 2016 car made in 2008.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2018, 09:42 AM   #7
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
Not all of them were ugly, one model the S1 Forte & maybe the Futura shouldnt tar the whole range imo. Even then i would have one of each today np!

You are correct otherwise mike_nofx lol!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2018, 09:59 AM   #8
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
I also disagree with the FG being in the worst category.
The FG ironed out most of the issues of the BA, BF series, and the final FG MKII’s and FG X are fairly solid and very reliable cars.
Yeah- I met a guy who was management for a federal department responsible for automotive recalls. Chewing the fat with him- asked him what would he buy for a well sorted and reliable performance vehicle.

He replied a Turbo FG Mk11, said that by the Mk 11 it was a very good reliable car with most of the bugs and mechanical issues evolved out. Actually turned out he had one- and liked giving it the boot....

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2018, 01:11 PM   #9
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Best -- AUII-III . Nearly everything was right and ahead of it's time.

Worst -- anything and everything from the 80's including the EA. By ED they were on the right track and it was better and better till BA. BA Drive trains were solid but seats were a step back and reliability began to suffer.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-05-2018, 03:48 PM   #10
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Yeah, its a Sunday Night thread. Don't like it, don't post.

Please respect others personal opinions, that's all these are. There are no intrinsically right or wrong answers.

So these are my picks, please post your own.
  1. XR
    I'm biased, I grew up riding in the back of an XR wagon.
    This was our first V8, the first GT, and first Bathurst win.
    Also the first high-roof PV.
    Ours was only a "Falcon 500" but it had a heater, push-button radio, and a super-pursuit 200. Compared to the Holdens of the day, it was a starship.
  2. EL
    IMHO this remains one of the best looking Falcons of all time, including the XR6/8.
    Most of the e-series foibles had been ironed out, the engines were strong, including the recently reintroduced Windsor.
    With airbags, abs, etc, etc, they were very well equipped.
  3. BA
    Twin-Cam engines standard across the range, Factory Turbo, IRS, and a spread of OHC V8s available across the whole range. Well equipe and updated interior. No wonder it won COTY in 2002, and for a time reeled in the Commode. My only criticisms are the bland styling, and the delayed 6spd trannies.

And for my not-so favourites:
  1. EA
    The EA26 was behind schedule and still not ready when it went on sale. We finally got the OHC engine due two years previously, and it was a dog. Leaky and prone to head problems. Still had a 3sp, the front-end was atrocious, and the interior defined "cheap'n'nasty." It's only claim to fame was being better than the Frankensteinian Abomination that was the VN
  2. XD
    I liked the XD, but lets be honest, it was an XA/B/C with a new body.
    If Holden hadn't made the monumentally stupid decision to replace the Kingswood with the Torana-sized Opel Commodore, the XD would have flopped badly. It still had leaf springs, 4sp manual, and carburettors. Plus their first attempt at an alloy head proved to be water-soluble.
  3. FG
    Whilst it was of course the best ever Falcon produced to date, it was also a dinosaur. We can debate whether Ford had already made the decision to Kill off the Falcon and Australian Production. At the very least, the lack of a wagon, lack of LWB, lack of V8 options, plus the decision not to update the Territory to the new platform, all pointed to the beginning of the end.
    For 50 years the Falcon grew larger, heavier, more powerful, and thirstier, and with the FG they finally jumped the Shark.
    Then of course there was there was the whole dropping of the iconic Fairmont and Ghia badges. Might as well have been called the FU.
    Who knows if anything could have saved the Falcon or our Industry, but the FG certainly didn't help.
My mum had both the HR Holden 186 auto and the XR Falcon super pursuit auto. I liked the 3sp auto in the falcon better, but the 186 was quicker but the HR was a rust bucket.

XD Falcon Alloy head was much better than the iron head engine with better performance than they claim on paper, the heads were good but only fools buggered them up by not servicing them correctly as it is with all alloy engines.

I liked the VB Commodore better than the XD any day overall.
The VB was much better car to drive and to sit in and has better boot space.

Nothing wrong with the FG Falcons they are a bloody good car, but one has to service the bloody thing well and don't try to cut corners and do what has to be done, best to of got them rust proofed from new.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2018, 03:54 PM   #11
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Easy....

Best....
Any XK to XC

Worst....
Any XD to FG X

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2018, 04:01 PM   #12
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Best:
1. FG-X
2. FG II
3. FG
4. BF II
5. BF
6. BA II
etc.

Worst:
1. EA
2. EL
3. XF
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2018, 05:20 PM   #13
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

Best: low mileage, one owner, straight, original, scrupulously-maintained logbook cars I can afford and actually want to own.

Worst: anything else.

BA RTV.
anobserver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2018, 05:30 PM   #14
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmmm
hard to answer
as its falcons not fairlanes
and I do like my lux-barge's

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2018, 06:11 PM   #15
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love them all from the moment i saw them from the first to last. My least favorites out of the run would be ED's and AU's and probably because their grill design let them down more than anything else.
Sar4890 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2018, 06:19 PM   #16
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Best:
FG - Any turbo
XW GT - Toughest looker
BA/BF - Any FPV

Worst:
EA to AU - Nothing good came out of the 90s.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2018, 06:34 PM   #17
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Agree BA BF FPV were awesome cars, thats why I own one of each.

I reckon EF was a good car.

Xtreme Ford Tuning

Old 28-05-2018, 08:24 PM   #18
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have different lists for Falcons I have owned Vs Falcons I prefer the looks/performance of, if that makes sense. Regardless, there has always been 'something' about each new model that I have always loved, just some more than others. I think TE50 T3 is one of Ford's finest and when I have a Blueprint sedan in my garage, I can die a happy man.

Last edited by au350hp; 28-05-2018 at 08:33 PM.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2018, 08:51 PM   #19
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The best - XD.....every year for as long I could remember we’d travel 3500km every school holidays at Christmas to visit mums family in Rocky. Awesome holidays but geez it was bloody hot. We did it in a corolla and a carona - one year the old man did it in his cooper S with me and my brother strapped in the back - thank Christ I can’t remember that. No freeways back then either, the trips were huge.
When he bought the XD it was the most awesome car on the planet. Heaps of room for me and the two brothers in the back, heaps of power and AIR-CON!

Next best - FG M11.......Geezuz Christ if only the old man had the F6 back then to overtake with
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2018, 09:09 PM   #20
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought a EA Fairmont ghia brand new in November 1990. It was a great car and very very reliable. I know everybody bags them out but mine was great. I even stuck on a t04 Garrett turbo to smash the HSV boys to pieces. They didn’t like there clubsports being smashed by a 6 cylinder Fairmont ghia I’ll tell you that!!!

Last edited by boss351290; 28-05-2018 at 09:22 PM.
boss351290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2018, 09:16 PM   #21
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

See EA falcons weren’t that bad

Last edited by boss351290; 17-01-2019 at 07:25 PM.
boss351290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2018, 12:00 AM   #22
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Best - BA Series
Why - To me it was the last time Ford AU had a red hot go before the demise.
Return of the GT & Old School Colours and Body Stripes & Bonnet Bulge.
Birth of the Barra Turbo.
The new rivalry not just between V8 Ford and Holdens, but also now the Turbo Six.
An advertising campaign that actually made me buy a car. Can't get enough of this.

Worst XF Series - Dropping of the V8 and leaving the Touring Cars ect. Dark Times.
CyberWasp is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2018, 12:20 AM   #23
JK47

I have been around awhile and had many fords and they improved with every model,i have had most of the performance fords but without a doubt the best is my BF11 TYPHOON with a few mods they tick all the boxes for me for a daily driven car !. J K.
JK47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2018, 12:40 AM   #24
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
Worst, FGX, was a 2016 car made in 2008.
This.
The F series were the best ever Falcons, but they were at least a decade too late.
When the 250 debuted it was needed, with tech of that era, to haul the bigger heavier Falcons, especially with slush-boxes. 40 years later it was a brilliant engine, but not what the market wanted. The FG should have been the size for the Fairlane, and maybe taxis. The Falcon needed to be lighter, and a heck of a lot greener, with maybe a 3.0l all-alloy version of the I6.
Ultimately I don't think anything would have saved the Falcon or our industry, there just wasn't any will. Ford didn't want to, and neither did the government.
Old 29-05-2018, 12:52 AM   #25
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher View Post
Best -- AUII-III . Nearly everything was right and ahead of it's time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
Yeah, that's why it doesn't make it onto either of my lists.
The base-model series one is without doubt the ugliest thing FA ever
produced, and not just butt-ugly, but therefore undeservedly unpopular.
There were a few little niggles in the series one, brakes, and tie-rod ends, but the engine and tranny were bulletproof. By the series 3, they were a seriously good car.
I've still got an AU, precisely because I know it will run forever with minimal fuss, and I can fix anything myself.
Old 29-05-2018, 04:49 AM   #26
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
Best - BA Series
Why - To me it was the last time Ford AU had a red hot go before the demise.
Return of the GT & Old School Colours and Body Stripes & Bonnet Bulge.
Birth of the Barra Turbo.
The new rivalry not just between V8 Ford and Holdens, but also now the Turbo Six.
An advertising campaign that actually made me buy a car. Can't get enough of this.

Worst XF Series - Dropping of the V8 and leaving the Touring Cars ect. Dark Times.
BA falcon brought in a new era for Ford. In my opinion it was the biggest leap of any model.

Xtreme Ford Tuning

2 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2018, 04:51 AM   #27
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss351290 View Post
See EA falcons weren’t that bad
Ask EA 6 cylinders owners about head gaskets.... Disaster...

Xtreme Ford Tuning

Old 29-05-2018, 07:43 AM   #28
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
Ask EA 6 cylinders owners about head gaskets.... Disaster...
Mine did it's first and only head gasket at 220,000kms. That's really not that bad.

Daily 2010 FG XR50T ute - Lightning Strike
6 speed manual, XR8 bonnet, hardlid, Streetfighter airbox

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2018, 07:57 AM   #29
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Luv, 'em all. Even the rubbish served up as the EA.
They all had their issues & problems, the reality with all makes and models of any cars, except Lancias, they were just all crap from the factory.
My BA is close to 350,oookm and pretty well all I do is replace worn out bits and service the remainder.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.

Last edited by Burnout; 29-05-2018 at 08:23 AM.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2018, 09:06 AM   #30
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK47 View Post
I have been around awhile and had many fords and they improved with every model,i have had most of the performance fords but without a doubt the best is my BF11 TYPHOON with a few mods they tick all the boxes for me for a daily driven car !. J K.
Wiped the floor clean with just about anything on wheels - huge respect for what the typhoon did for Ford. No vehicle has ever done what the typhoon did to both camps in its day, will go down as one of the legends
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: