Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-06-2006, 12:35 PM   #1
Spotty

Default What should I tell this guy????

As reported a a week or so I offloaded (traded in )my 03 BA XR8 for a new accord. Its my wifes ride and I am still a ford man....but only just after my poor expereince with the BA's quality and dealer service etc. My BA ( Mar 03 build) expereinced nearly every typical fault reported in the forums and whilst it looked the goods the truth was otherwise.

Anyway a prospective buyer has left me a message on my voicemail and asked me to call him back to answer some quesions he has about the car. Assuming he asks about history/mechanical problems etc I feel I should tell him the absolute truth about the cars problem history. What I'm wondering though is that he tells the dealer that the cars a crock then I could be in a bind. I'm from a medium sized country town...word gets around etc. My feeling is stuff the dealer...their the experts..... they take the risks of the trade at that the consumer comes first.

Spotty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2006, 12:39 PM   #2
gtfpv
GT

if hes buying it from a dealer after you traded it . keep out of it it's the dealers sale not yours . . mind you if you think the car is a lemom . tell him . its not your problem. i wouldnt praise the car and help the dealer out . stay out of it . or tell the truth .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2006, 01:24 PM   #3
rst2000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotty
As reported a a week or so I offloaded (traded in )my 03 BA XR8 for a new accord. Its my wifes ride and I am still a ford man....but only just after my poor expereince with the BA's quality and dealer service etc. My BA ( Mar 03 build) expereinced nearly every typical fault reported in the forums and whilst it looked the goods the truth was otherwise.

Anyway a prospective buyer has left me a message on my voicemail and asked me to call him back to answer some quesions he has about the car. Assuming he asks about history/mechanical problems etc I feel I should tell him the absolute truth about the cars problem history. What I'm wondering though is that he tells the dealer that the cars a crock then I could be in a bind. I'm from a medium sized country town...word gets around etc. My feeling is stuff the dealer...their the experts..... they take the risks of the trade at that the consumer comes first.
it comes down to what type of bloke & morals you have..if the shoe was on the other foot and it was you ringing a previous owner on a traded car would you not hope that the owner was upfront & honest about it's condition.
imo it's a no brainer..tell him of your experience whilst owning the vehicle.
:thebirds:

cheers andrew
rst2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2006, 01:34 PM   #4
GTCAM
LV XR5

It also depends on whether the car still has all these faults. If they have been attended to and the car is in reasonable condition for its age, then tell him it had warrenty issues but they are all OK expept for some minor ones that are still present.

The dealer still has some responsibility to fix known problems at the time of sale, so maybe alert this prospect to these so he can raise them before he signs...

Or, ask him to view the service history, this should also give him an idea about the problems you have had.
Old 23-06-2006, 01:40 PM   #5
pks54
Ford Power To The People

tell him the truth.
he can easily back out of the deal and have no reason to tell the dealer why. He can easily move on to the next car and all will be well.
pks54 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2006, 01:42 PM   #6
Jet-Star

Tell him the truth..... If it doesn't work out try the other way with the next buyer ;)... Just kidding Honesty is the best policy.
Jet-Star is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2006, 01:44 PM   #7
NA XR6
!!

Easy
Tell him the truth isnt that what you would want if the shoe was on the other foot
Then he can walk away or buy it
NA XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2006, 01:51 PM   #8
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I don't see a problem telling him the truth... think of it as doing someone a favour. Would you want to put someone else through what you went though if you could help it? Dealer will sell the car eventually...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2006, 02:09 PM   #9
EFIwindsor
Haltech 302w XW

Why did the dealer give the guy your phone number? what happened to confidentiality
Fuel/intake -XR6T injectors, 255 LPH intank pump, 4" intake, HaltechE11v2 Exhaust-custom Tri-Y headers, Twin 2.5" HiFlo Cats, duel 2.5" exh Driveline-close ratio 4spd, 9" LSD, 300mm AU XR8 fr, XC rear, ZH Fairlane Mas/Cyl & Booster

Project car: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=21641
EFIwindsor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2006, 02:21 PM   #10
G6ET8U
GTX Turbo & KB Blown

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: ALWAYS goes out of his way to help others in need, never posts rubbish only facts he has learnt the hard way or with success in his personal experiance. Takes the time to aid more junior members and overall is a solid contributor to AFF. 

Quote:
Why did the dealer give the guy your phone number? what happened to confidentiality
It's listed on the For Sale ticket on every car that is sold 2nd hand through a dealer, they all have the previous owners name and address...

My car was owned by Helen Costanzo of Bundoora Ford... I believe she is the wife of the dealer principal.

Jack

SNOW WHITE 2004 BA FPV PURSUIT
2.6L Kenne Bell
Brembos all round
Twin Screw Awesomeness

Supported, serviced and tuned by
BLUEPOWER RACING DEVELOPMENTS

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11354744
G6ET8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2006, 02:26 PM   #11
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tell him the truth. Does the dealer know about all these problems? Are they in the service manual?
Old 23-06-2006, 02:30 PM   #12
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

If your car was taken back to the dealer on "several" occasions, then you must have some paperwork for it? Right?

So simply show him what warranty work was done (thats the facts) and how they were repaired.

Honesty IS the best policy, but do it in a manner that is fair for all. If the prospective buyer asks for all the records on this car from the dealer, would he get it? or should he get that?

Be fair. Your in a position to help someone, do it because it wont hurt you. :newangel:
Old 23-06-2006, 02:48 PM   #13
PH47
Ford Power, in a Merc?

Yeh tell the truth but JUST the truth.. don't give personal opinions etc about whether it's a lemon just explain the issues, what was done to resolve them, and leave it at that.
PH47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2006, 02:51 PM   #14
pks54
Ford Power To The People

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFIwindsor
this has happenned to me. well really my brother. he had his name on the log books etc. the next person to buy his car at the dealer saw this and looked our name up in the telephone book. you see i have the same last name as my brother ironically, but no one else is listed with this last name in the white pages except for us. he rang me.
anyway i told him the truth what this car and what I thought of it.
great car actually, he sold it to get a 4 wheeler and this new buyer was concerned why he traded such a brand newy.
pks54 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 11:21 AM   #15
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just tell him the condition it was in leading up to the trade. Warranty items fixed 2 years ago that never reared its again would be irrelevent now.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 09:25 PM   #16
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
As reported a a week or so I offloaded (traded in) my 03 BA XR8 for a new accord. Its my wifes ride and I am still a ford man....but only just after my poor expereince with the BA's quality and dealer service etc. My BA ( Mar 03 build) expereinced nearly every typical fault reported in the forums and whilst it looked the goods the truth was otherwise.
I really hope someone in an influential position at Ford is listening because this will be an increasing trend if they don't get their backsides into gear and rectify these problems. The Australian large car segment is struggling in the current economic climate and it will only get worse in 2010 with a further reduction in tariffs - people (myself included) will simply buy European and Japanese vehicles as they are reliable, better engineered, offer better value for money and better resale just to name a few. The fleets (which account for 70% of Falcon & Commo sales) will be pretty p!!ssed off when their cars start loosing 60% of their original value in 3 years simply because no-one wants them.
chich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 09:36 PM   #17
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I proberbly wouldn't come straight out and tell the prospective buyer all the prob's with the car.
As you said in a close knit community the dealer knows who you are too and you wouldn't want them making accusations about you either.
I would tell the buyer to seriously consider a full independant inspection.
If the inspector finds any faults its up to the buyer to decide if he wants to buy and if the buyer goes ahead and buys without a report he gets what he deserves.
Perhaps if you make a point of telling him he really should get an inspection, he might get the drift and avoid it altogether.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 10:37 PM   #18
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Just tell him what him the details about the car, but also inform him it has gone in for warrenty work before, but the dealer has all the information on this, and he should talk to them about it.

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 10:49 PM   #19
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

In all honesty mate, you didn't make the car, so it's not your fault it is the way it is. Personally i had a similar car. Not sure if you've read my posts in the BA Problem thread, but i owned a 2005 BA XR6 which was a pile of crap from new. It went back and forth from the service centre constantly. I sold it after 6000km, but i traded it back to a dealer, who didn't even drive it before offering me a price.. traded it on the BF. I've since seen it driving around my area, so someone bought my problems.

If you feel better about doing what i did, do that.. but as i said, it's not your fault it's not what it was sold to you as being.. People will say differently, (and i have strong morals) but i wouldn't feel obliged to tell the next buyer... Ford CRC is there for a reason, and assuming it still has warranty on it, that's for the new owner to deal with. The service is there for that reason. If there's no warranty on it, well - you're just going to have to make a decision. If they test drive it thoroughly, they should be able to tell if it seems to be the goods (for a lot of probs anyway).

Good luck.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 10:50 PM   #20
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Say this to him "my mum tought me if I have nothing good to say, then don't say anything at all". Then say to him "good luck".... end of conversation

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 10:53 PM   #21
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba
Say this to him "my mum tought me if I have nothing good to say, then don't say anything at all". Then say to him "good luck".... end of conversation
ok mine's the long version, jabba's is the short version.
Old 24-06-2006, 10:54 PM   #22
Group C

Quote:
Anyway a prospective buyer has left me a message on my voicemail and asked me to call him back to answer some quesions he has about the car. Assuming he asks about history/mechanical problems etc I feel I should tell him the absolute truth about the cars problem history.
Tell him the truth.
Put the shoe on the other foot for a minute.
How would you feel if the person who owned your Honda (assuming it's 2nd hand) told you it was a ripper, you bought it, and it was really a lemon.
Wouldn't be very happy, would you??
Quote:
What I'm wondering though is that he tells the dealer that the cars a crock then I could be in a bind.
Why?? The truth might hurt them??
If THEY had fixed the problems you had with it, why would you: a- bag the car, b- bag them, and most important, c- have gotten rid of it if it was as good as it was supposed to be??
Quote:
I'm from a medium sized country town...word gets around etc.
EXACTLY!! O.K., so the dealer might gets the poo-poos on if your comments get back, but just imagine how telling a B.S. story to a prospective buyer might come back on you if they hand over their cash on YOUR recommendation over a car that you KNOW is a heap...

Basicly mate, if i was the "buyer" ringing you, and you told me the REAL story about it, i'd thank you very much and shout you a beer when i see you next for saving me my money, and sanity, from buying a problem case.

Hope this all helps.
Group C is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 10:57 PM   #23
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

I have been honest with all buyers of my previous car, even pointed them in the right direction to get the price down, preferred service departments and these forums.
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 10:58 PM   #24
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group C
Tell him the truth.
Put the shoe on the other foot for a minute.
yes you can toy with your morals for days on end, but you have to think realistically.. how the hell is it ever going to be sold with the line "hey mate, yeah take her for a spin, just watch the front right doesn't fall off, also the brake pedal cover tends to fall off mid corner.... and ohh, don't brake too hard (presuming the master cylinder isn't bone dry from the leak) as the windshield tends to fall out, especially when going downhill"

you have to think realistically, it sounds harsh but otherwise it will never sell.

buyer beware, it's their responsibility to do their homework.
Old 24-06-2006, 11:03 PM   #25
nobbystang

I'd return his call and answer Q's truthfully, he contacted you in good faith

Previous:
2011 SZ Territory Titanium
2008 Ford Edge AWD Limited
Silhouette BF XR6, ZF Auto
White EF GLi, XR look alike
VH Commodore
nobbystang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 11:06 PM   #26
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

also you'll find peoples' answers to this question will vary depending on whether they themself have actually experienced the pain of owning something worth so much which was a lemon, and had to try and get rid of it..

anyway i'm pulling out of this one now, said my piece.
Old 24-06-2006, 11:14 PM   #27
pennybrain
Heart of Blue

It shouldn't be your problem if the dealer sold it onto someone after you sold it to the dealer. Surely the dealer would have a 2nd hand warranty on the car. Well you'd hope so anyway. I know the nissan pulsar lemon I traded in for my ute had a 2nd hand warranty on it when it was re-sold and it has been off the road getting fixed under warranty more times than it has been on the road.
Old 24-06-2006, 11:24 PM   #28
Group C

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantz
yes you can toy with your morals for days on end, but you have to think realistically.. how the hell is it ever going to be sold with the line "hey mate, yeah take her for a spin, just watch the front right doesn't fall off, also the brake pedal cover tends to fall off mid corner.... and ohh, don't brake too hard (presuming the master cylinder isn't bone dry from the leak) as the windshield tends to fall out, especially when going downhill"

you have to think realistically, it sounds harsh but otherwise it will never sell.

buyer beware, it's their responsibility to do their homework.
1st off, who's problem is it if it doesn't sell??
... that's right, the dealer's.
after all, it sounds like Spotty has been to hell and back with it (like both you and i have with our BA's), so maybe they just should fix it so it can be sold with any further problems.
i thought the dealer had a responsiblity to look after it's customers, and i could lay money on it that they will talk the car up, just to sell it, even with a list of prior issues.

my morals would lie with the prospective buyer, as the dealer should simply know better than stuff people around, who have spent a fair bit of money with them on the car's purchase to begin with, on something that isn't what it should be.
i would feel terrible knowing that someone had used their hard earned cash to buy a car, on my recommendation, when i knew that it's been having dramas all along.
also, if the dealer had been not doing their part by fixing the dramas with it, then why would you HELP them in selling it to someone else??

i agree that it is buyer beware, but my morals simply couldn't make me LIE to someone about the car, whether that be through saying it's a 'wonderful car, never a problem', or 'no comment, for fear of reprizal (sp??)'.

PLEASE don't think that i'm having a go here, i'm just putting forward my opinion on what I'D do.

Cheers.
Old 24-06-2006, 11:27 PM   #29
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group C
1st off, who's problem is it if it doesn't sell??
... that's right, the dealer's.
after all, it sounds like Spotty has been to hell and back with it (like both you and i have with our BA's), so maybe they just should fix it so it can be sold with any further problems.
i thought the dealer had a responsiblity to look after it's customers, and i could lay money on it that they will talk the car up, just to sell it, even with a list of prior issues.

my morals would lie with the prospective buyer, as the dealer should simply know better than stuff people around, who have spent a fair bit of money with them on the car's purchase to begin with, on something that isn't what it should be.
i would feel terrible knowing that someone had used their hard earned cash to buy a car, on my recommendation, when i knew that it's been having dramas all along.
also, if the dealer had been not doing their part by fixing the dramas with it, then why would you HELP them in selling it to someone else??

i agree that it is buyer beware, but my morals simply couldn't make me LIE to someone about the car, whether that be through saying it's a 'wonderful car, never a problem', or 'no comment, for fear of reprizal (sp??)'.

PLEASE don't think that i'm having a go here, i'm just putting forward my opinion on what I'D do.

Cheers.
that's primarily why i sold it to the dealer. and i honestly wouldn't be surprised if they HADN'T actually fixed it finally, before selling it again, since it was suddenly in their best interests to do so.. Whereas when i owned it, they couldn't give a crap..
Old 24-06-2006, 11:32 PM   #30
Group C

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantz
that's primarily why i sold it to the dealer. and i honestly wouldn't be surprised if they HADN'T actually fixed it finally, before selling it again, since it was suddenly in their best interests to do so.. Whereas when i owned it, they couldn't give a crap..
mate, NEVER a truer word spoken!!
sounds i should get rid of my 'headache' in the same way!!

BTW, is the new BF behaving itself??
bl00dy hope so, after all the BA hassles.

sorry, off-topic...