Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-04-2007, 08:03 PM   #1
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default PIP Mobile?

I just got woken from a nice nap by my first call from India. *DELAY* "Hello, my name is Jessica from PIP Mobile"
Anyone else get this call? Anyone heard of them? I can't find anything about them on the NET. I am VERY angry as I pay for a private number and this is the first time I have had such a call. It is bad enough that my local council sells my address to real estate agents. I will be complaining to Telstra tomorrow.

GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2007, 08:07 PM   #2
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Simple process from my part:

If there is a delay when I answer the phone, I hang up.

I don't get as many 'Indian' calls these days.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2007, 08:14 PM   #3
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

I answer back in a foreign language when I get these calls. I LOVE being bilingual. lol.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2007, 08:15 PM   #4
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
I just got woken from a nice nap by my first call from India. *DELAY* "Hello, my name is Jessica from PIP Mobile"
Anyone else get this call? Anyone heard of them? I can't find anything about them on the NET. I am VERY angry as I pay for a private number and this is the first time I have had such a call. It is bad enough that my local council sells my address to real estate agents. I will be complaining to Telstra tomorrow.
Don't worry too much as soon there will be "the list" that you can put yourself on to make sure that you don't get any calls from these people.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2007, 08:23 PM   #5
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought they couldn't get your number if it was private?
Old 18-04-2007, 08:25 PM   #6
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
We wish, they are dodgy. My parents have a private number too and still get the calls.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2007, 08:40 PM   #7
Force6

Confide in them your greatest sins.
Force6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2007, 08:44 PM   #8
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Quote:
I reckon they have one of those sequential dialing machines. ie. It dials 6691.. 6692... 6693... 6694. etc. etc. So it doesn't matter if it was private.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2007, 08:48 PM   #9
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force6
Confide in them your greatest sins.

HAHAHAHA.. thats great . Next time I am going to start talking dirty to her ! What a ****er . I also like the talk in a different language to them !

I'm not arrogent , Just superior
Blue Oval Mopar Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2007, 10:30 PM   #10
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pertuan
I reckon they have one of those sequential dialing machines. ie. It dials 6691.. 6692... 6693... 6694. etc. etc. So it doesn't matter if it was private.

I just say not interested and hang up...
Old 18-04-2007, 11:11 PM   #11
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I had one abuse me at work today. She was calling to "update" the company details in some phone book, which we are not allowed to deal with at store level.
I tell her all that is handled by Head Office, and I'm not allowed to answer her questions.
She starts asking me "Oh you don't want potential clients to know your new details?"
I repeat I cannot help her. That we have people at HQ that do that.
So she asks for the Head Office number, which I don't have. (Cannot give out internal numbers, told her to look it up in the phone book, or directory assistance)
She tells me I'M being difficult, and how do I expect to get customers in if we have no contact details? Then asks "What business is this?" (I stated the company name when I answered), so I tell her it's a Woolworths Supermarket, and she hung up on me!!

I have a feeling it was the second time she called, 'cause the first time when I answered and there was a pause, I hung up.

I've also had a very serious, business-like sounding man ask what kind of underwear I had on. I hung up on him pretty fast.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2007, 11:23 PM   #12
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

i ask them how long they want to spend with one of our lovely ladies ,they normally say what and i say youve rang a brothel the number was sold to us ,so unless you wanna book in for a short stay i must go and they either hang up or say sorry i have the wrong number

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2007, 11:30 PM   #13
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I ask them where they are calling from, they always reply melbourne or what ever city you're in.

Ask them what the weather is like as proof that they're calling from here they'll say somthing like. "It's 24 degrees and cloudy with a possible chance of showers"

Totaly steer away from what ever they're selling and ask for the weather forecast.

E32 740iL Leather, sound system, rollin' on 19's
TEaaron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2007, 12:02 AM   #14
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Do not call register

http://www.dcita.gov.au/communicatio...es/do_not_call

and

http://www.acma.gov.au/WEB/STANDARD//pc=PC_100642
Old 19-04-2007, 12:04 AM   #15
aye you
The Origional, The Best

XCGXL: Mate i work in a call centre fo telstra and deal with problems like yours alot. Mate, if you dont need to make or recieve international calls we can block them, effectivly making it impossible for them to call you. Silent lines only remove your number from the phone book and directories and phones with calling number dispay, which are now both controlled by SENSIS (not the CND), that is also who charges you the $2.93 a month.

I'll shoot you a message on the 1st of May with a website address setup by the government that will make it illegal for Australian telemarketers to call you, we found out about it today, and have been told that we will get the address by then.

They also get you number as Pertuan said, they have auto diallers, you would have at one stage gotten a call where there was nothing on the other side of the line, then it hung up? thats the auto dialler, when you answer the machine records your number for future use, they then can also sell that number to other companies. Sad fact but i can guarentee that telstra didn't give that number to em mate, it's 1 illegal and 2 we would riot if they did that.

If you want anymore info on how we can try and stop them just pm me dude.

Oh, and PIP Mobile probably don't exist. We've found that these consultants usually make up and company and consultant name on each call. Shits us off to no end.

Nick
Lowerage on KingSprings Lows | Engine...Period | Sounds System

I Use And Recommend F1 Tyres And Wheels On The Gold Coast

Proud Supporter of Beat The Heat (NT)
aye you is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2007, 12:17 AM   #16
XRated
Shoot.

I had a rude Indian bloke ring me up yesterday, AND the day before. I played with the guy who called yesterday, he was asking me if I wanted to talk about my mortgage. I told him I didn't want to, but he kept asking me over and over again.

I asked if I could call him back, so he tried giving me a 1300 number:
"No, I want to talk to you again personally, so give me your home number and I will call you later..."
"I'm sorry sir, we cannot give out personal details."
"Well you've got my personal details, so just give me your mobile number and I will call you back..."
"We can't do that, sir. So are you happy with your mortgage?"
"I don't want to talk about mortgages, let's talk about something else!"
"Sir, this is not a personal call. It is being recorded for our business use."
"Okay, give me your phone number so I can call you back because I want to record our conversation."

He started getting agitated, bit by bit. Then I hit a nerve!
"Sir, do you want to talk about mortgages or not?"
"No! I want to talk about other things... So, what are you up to there?"
"Look, if you don't want to talk about mortgages, why the hell are you wasting my time!"
"I'm wasting YOUR time?!"

*beep beep beep...*

That's obviously a shortened-down version - I took close to five minutes of his time.

I figure if everyone can stir them up and make them swear or act rudely on the phone, their supervisors might have no option but to fire them one by one!!

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2007, 12:19 AM   #17
aye you
The Origional, The Best

we can only wish
Lowerage on KingSprings Lows | Engine...Period | Sounds System

I Use And Recommend F1 Tyres And Wheels On The Gold Coast

Proud Supporter of Beat The Heat (NT)
aye you is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2007, 12:30 AM   #18
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRated
I had a rude Indian bloke ring me up yesterday, AND the day before. I played with the guy who called yesterday, he was asking me if I wanted to talk about my mortgage. I told him I didn't want to, but he kept asking me over and over again.

I asked if I could call him back, so he tried giving me a 1300 number:
"No, I want to talk to you again personally, so give me your home number and I will call you later..."
"I'm sorry sir, we cannot give out personal details."
"Well you've got my personal details, so just give me your mobile number and I will call you back..."
"We can't do that, sir. So are you happy with your mortgage?"
"I don't want to talk about mortgages, let's talk about something else!"
"Sir, this is not a personal call. It is being recorded for our business use."
"Okay, give me your phone number so I can call you back because I want to record our conversation."

He started getting agitated, bit by bit. Then I hit a nerve!
"Sir, do you want to talk about mortgages or not?"
"No! I want to talk about other things... So, what are you up to there?"
"Look, if you don't want to talk about mortgages, why the hell are you wasting my time!"
"I'm wasting YOUR time?!"

*beep beep beep...*

That's obviously a shortened-down version - I took close to five minutes of his time.

I figure if everyone can stir them up and make them swear or act rudely on the phone, their supervisors might have no option but to fire them one by one!!
Ahh seinfeld, gotta love it.
Old 19-04-2007, 12:37 AM   #19
cenithx
The world is mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers
I had one abuse me at work today. She was calling to "update" the company details in some phone book, which we are not allowed to deal with at store level.
I tell her all that is handled by Head Office, and I'm not allowed to answer her questions.
She starts asking me "Oh you don't want potential clients to know your new details?"
I repeat I cannot help her. That we have people at HQ that do that.
So she asks for the Head Office number, which I don't have. (Cannot give out internal numbers, told her to look it up in the phone book, or directory assistance)
She tells me I'M being difficult, and how do I expect to get customers in if we have no contact details? Then asks "What business is this?" (I stated the company name when I answered), so I tell her it's a Woolworths Supermarket, and she hung up on me!!

<snip>
I've had that exact same type of call, with them trying to tell me i'm the one in the wrong etc.

Also blocking international calls won't fix it.. yes they call from overseas but they go through local diverters or whatever you want to call them.. just look at the caller ID.. most of them are from Melbourne..

Also I don't see how that new list will help since they're not calling from inside australia and therefore aren't subject to australian laws? Good luck tracking them etc.

Lots now use VOIP as well, you can hear the difference.

I just mess with their heads. Act really really interested so they start giving you the full spiel then just put the phone down and go grab a drink... things like that.. waste their time.. you can't stop them calling, might as well mess up their day a bit ;)
Old 19-04-2007, 12:56 AM   #20
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So the nothingness on the line is actually the auto dialer connecting? My wife thought it was my ex girlfriend trying to find out if I was still married, LOL
I have had a silent number since I got my own place and have not had a single marketing call in over 8 years (until this evening), I got it to avoid prank calls as I am a teacher. They ring my Dad instead as he has the same name as me and IS in the phone book.
Does the register stop them from calling you from overseas? It is no good blocking international calls as I have relatives overseas.
If they ask you about your mortgage tell them you own your house outright. If they try to sell you cladding, tell them your house is made of brick.
Old 19-04-2007, 02:31 AM   #21
Miller
It's Millertime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8

Correct, if it was someone important they would call back.

Or of course just interupt and try and sell them a home loan or something.
Old 19-04-2007, 04:21 AM   #22
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

I once remember a lady calling dad when i worked for him on his mobile, she rambled some giberish and he tried to get a word in but to no avail, he then handed the phone over to me and said "its for you"

I took the phone not knowing what was going on, to have her start rambeling somethig about phone specials "hello who is it?"
"Its @#$%@#%$ from #$%@ international Was wandering if i could speak to the person responsible for finance in your company?"

By now i had cottoned onto what was going on

"Sorry he has just ducked out"

"Sorry then can i speak to the person responsible for the buisness operations, a manager?"

"Sorry he is on holidays" This business was jsut me and dad at the time mind you!

"well is there any one in a responsible position that i can speak to regarding this fantastic saving off you phone bill?"

"Sorry love, there is no responsible people in this buisness... only fools"

*Beep Beep Beep*

-----------------------------------------------------

But you must be carefull, One called mum regarding the advertising they did in the sunshine coast daily 12 months ago and if they wanted to continue, mum not knowing said yes and organised payment and was told it would also be on a CD that would be sent to buisnesses aust wide.

Once the CD (along with the Bill) arrived, dad asked what it was, mum told him and dad said they never advertised in the Sunshine Coast Daily, so mum rang back and abused them saying they tricked her into buying, they claimed that as the CD had already gone out they still owed the money to her and that their "Voice Recording" of the conversation doesnt show such thing (they only started recording half way through)

The oweing amount was something like $600, they proceeded to call once a day, never gettign the name pronunciation right (one would think after 2 months of daily calls they would get it)

This was harrasment and we called the Ombudsmen and the Office of Fair trading, turns out its a known scam and they trick you into paying for something though you never had it before, so next time they rang i was lucky enough to get the call, i told them not so politely to f off, that they are a lieing pack of c's and that we had lodged a complaint with the ombudsmen and dept fair trading.

Never got a call since.

and free advertising :

Last edited by 67-FKD; 19-04-2007 at 04:28 AM.
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2007, 04:26 AM   #23
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Sound interested then ask "mind if i put you on hold for a second" play some music and put the phone next to the speakers and see how long till they hang up.
XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2007, 04:32 AM   #24
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8

I don't get as many 'Indian' calls these days.
Yep thats the best way to go about it.
But lately we've been getting calls from Testra. We were with telstra, then Optus kept calling, Did give us a better deal, so we went with optus, now Telstra call us all the time offering a better deal. But before we went to Optus we called up telstra and said "Can you match it" they said Nup so we buggered off to Optus.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2007, 04:35 AM   #25
BLACKAUXR8
Young !@#$ Head

i did that last time i got stuck with one she was on the phone for nearly 10 min saying 'hello' about every 30 seconds then just hung up.I havnt heard from them since either
BLACKAUXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2007, 08:42 AM   #26
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Does the register stop them from calling you from overseas?
If they are acting on behalf of an Australian Company, then yes, the register still stands.
Old 19-04-2007, 12:32 PM   #27
Gabbs
Curry in a hurry

I had one of these calls at work I just asked if it was a marketing call. They went quiet for about 2 seconds and started talking about giving me a free holiday and I just hung up. Think next time ill say before you start talking I charge 1 million dollars a minute for my time. :
Gabbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2007, 09:51 PM   #28
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just a sidetrack here: I was sleeping off a nightshift at my dad's place one Saturday morning when I get this knock at the door. "Hello is you mum or dad home?" Me (irritated): "I am 33 years old, why do you ask is my mum or dad home?" Shut door in her face. Next time my dad opens the mail box there is a note in there "Why don't you act your f-ing age then you rude p-rick!"
I don't get it, maybe she thought my dad's fibro house that he bought when he was 22 was too good to belong to me. Just because his suburb (working class Botany) has been taken over by wanna be nobs and footballers.