Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 17-04-2013, 09:53 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Post New Hoon Laws in QLD

Serial hoons in Queensland will have their cars crushed or sold after new laws passed in state parliament.

Police Minister Jack Dempsey says the laws are the toughest in the country and will stop people driving recklessly and street racing.

Officers from the Logan, Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast police districts can lay claim to having seized the highest number of vehicles under existing anti-hooning laws in the past year.

Police responded to 83 incidents of hooning in Logan in the past 12 months, confiscating 70 vehicles.
Advertisement

More than 50 vehicles were impounded on the Gold and Sunshine coasts.

Across Brisbane, 63 vehicles were seized from hoons in the same period.

Under the new laws, a first offence will result in a hoon’s car being taken off the roads, while a second offence within five years will see the car either sold or crushed.

‘‘We are telling the people of Queensland that the police now have the legislative tools to truly put the brakes on hoons,’’ Mr Dempsey said in a statement.

“In the past we have even seen hoons lose control of their vehicles before ploughing into yards and houses injuring and, in some cases, taking the lives of innocent people.’’

The two strikes approach will apply to those committing Type 1 offences which include:

Dangerous operation of a motor vehicle
Racing and speed trials on roads
Wilfully starting a motor vehicle or driving a motor vehicle in a way that makes unnecessary noise or smoke
Evade police

The laws will come into effect in six months time.

The minister urges people who have a local hooning issue to contact their nearest police station or the Hoon Hotline: 13HOON (13 4666).
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/quee...417-2hz10.html

Last edited by csv8; 17-04-2013 at 09:54 AM. Reason: add link
Old 17-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: New Hoon Laws in QLD

aghh, just when I wanted to set the fastest time from the NSW/QLD border to the cape ever!!

Oh, and I wanted to start my vehicle before that!!!
This user likes this post:
Old 17-04-2013, 10:19 AM   #3
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Of course the nett effect of this is that as the penalties are so high many who once would have been found guilty of these offenses with be found not guilty.

e.g. Evade Police could mean racing away like "Fast and Furious" but could also mean turning off the road without even being aware that Police were chasing you.
N.B. Before the holy word wafts down from the altitudinal equestrians the more "undercover" the "Traffic SS" make their vehicles to more unlikely they are to be spotted after the Magnum PI style U turn and burnout as they try to catch up.......
2 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2013, 10:23 AM   #4
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Really? Is this even necessary? 83 incidents in 12 months is not even a ripple in the pond compared to drink driving offences, minor accidents due to people not paying attention. Hell, I bet there are more people that get booked for running a stop sign.
Old 17-04-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

drink drivers often try to avoid police RBT too

all good news, bring the laws on and help get the serial crazies off the road
Old 17-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #6
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post

Yeh we could have stopped all the terrorism by nuking the entire middle east and other "hot spots".
Collateral damage is not important is it?

In the "avoiding RBT" offence which of these is legal.

1) Doing a u turn to go back home to turn off the oven just before the "hidden" RBT (do not say they are not hidden as this is a standard practice in QLD).
2) Turning into a driveway/shopping centre car park before the RBT.
3) Just pulling up on the side of the road for whatever reason.
4) Being a P plater and realising that your license is in the other pants/bag and going back to get it.
5) squillions of other scenarios

The most worrying thing about this trend is the growing mentality that there are two types of drivers, criminals who have been caught and criminals who have yet to be caught and all actions are illegal until proven otherwise with the onus of proof on the victim.......
5 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #7
EVLKNEVL

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
...toughest in the country and will stop people driving recklessly and street racing.
And what happens when this regime (inevitably) fails to stop people driving recklessly and street racing? A new set of even harsher laws, and when they also fail, even harsher still?

I thought the last round of toughened-up anti-hoon legislation was supposed to have fixed the problem?
Old 17-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #8
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

There's enough police power and practicality in the existing laws to not need this latest political statement.

I agree with Flappist, if these laws are incorrectly framed and too draconian, charges could be thrown out.

When police hit the sirens, failure to stop when directed now takes on any metric the police like to apply,
The new legislation needs to spell out anti-social behaviors as distinct from undue care and attention.
That way, antisocial behavior could be classed as dangerous driving and fall under the criminal code...
That's a whole different kettle of fish...
2 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #9
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

http://www.dailymercury.com.au/news/...uHwMo.facebook

As much as I share Mr. Soper's concerns about such legislation, his comment quoted (probably out of context) is an invalid point and a poor argument. If someone is found driving without a license it is on them.

There is an onus of responsibility upon all enthusiasts, in fact all drivers, to obey the road rules. Whether it be speed limits, red lights, or common sense when in control of a motor vehicle.

At the same time, ANY law being enforced in relation to street machines and hot rods is wide open to interpretation by the police officer involved. Being realistic, there are officers that would simply like to be seen to be doing thier job by getting as many modified cars, as well as restos and muscle cars, off the street as possible regardless of the age or IQ level of the driver.

In all fairness to the police however, there are a lot of officers who do enjoy looking at well cared for and maintained street machines, hot rods, and muscle cars, but an unfortunate fact of life is that true enthusiasts are greatly outnumbered by ********* who do stupid things, and the ******* who encourage them.
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Old 17-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #10
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
In the "avoiding RBT" offence which of these is legal.

1) Doing a u turn to go back home to turn off the oven just before the "hidden" RBT (do not say they are not hidden as this is a standard practice in QLD).
2) Turning into a driveway/shopping centre car park before the RBT.
3) Just pulling up on the side of the road for whatever reason.
4) Being a P plater and realising that your license is in the other pants/bag and going back to get it.
5) squillions of other scenarios
I have a friend who did (2) because he lived up a side street situated around 50m prior to where the police had a RBT set-up. He claims the police officer chased him (on foot) and verbally abused then breathalysed him in his driveway.

Last edited by Alan D Segal; 17-04-2013 at 12:35 PM. Reason: had to add that this is alleged
Old 17-04-2013, 12:41 PM   #11
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVLKNEVL View Post
And what happens when this regime (inevitably) fails to stop people driving recklessly and street racing? A new set of even harsher laws, and when they also fail, even harsher still?

I thought the last round of toughened-up anti-hoon legislation was supposed to have fixed the problem?
well to me it's obvious that "HOONS" arent such a big problem.
And now instead of people pulling up and copping a fine they will run from the cops to try and avoid their cars being taken
Old 17-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #12
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasi View Post
http://www.dailymercury.com.au/news/...uHwMo.facebook

As much as I share Mr. Soper's concerns about such legislation, his comment quoted (probably out of context) is an invalid point and a poor argument. If someone is found driving without a license it is on them.

There is an onus of responsibility upon all enthusiasts, in fact all drivers, to obey the road rules. Whether it be speed limits, red lights, or common sense when in control of a motor vehicle.

At the same time, ANY law being enforced in relation to street machines and hot rods is wide open to interpretation by the police officer involved. Being realistic, there are officers that would simply like to be seen to be doing thier job by getting as many modified cars, as well as restos and muscle cars, off the street as possible regardless of the age or IQ level of the driver.

In all fairness to the police however, there are a lot of officers who do enjoy looking at well cared for and maintained street machines, hot rods, and muscle cars, but an unfortunate fact of life is that true enthusiasts are greatly outnumbered by ********* who do stupid things, and the ******* who encourage them.
Seriously?

Driving without a license is in all cases a crime against humanity?

Yes driving while under disqualification or having never held a license in normal situations i.e. not emergency situations should be strictly enforced but just not paying the license fee for a few days because:

1) You had more important things on your mind like family, health or personal issues and just forgot about it as not everyone is an obsessive compulsive paper shuffler.
2) You had a choice between buying food or medicine for your kids or paying the now quite expensive license fee as not everyone is doing all that well financially and you can afford it next week maybe.
3) Any other reason that come form people living their lives.

If you don't pay the license fee do you immediately forget how to drive?

How will huge fines and confiscation of vehicles from the above benefit anyone or anything in society?

Drivers license fees are just yet another tax and it seems more and more that the greatest crime you can commit in this country is interfere with government revenue.

I have never paid one cent in renewals for my pilot's license which I have held for decades.
Of course state governments have nothing to do with aviation......

Why is it so many are prepared to hurt the innocent just to push an agenda that may slightly reduce the number of people who are actually not causing much of a problem anyway.

I would like to see a law where everytime a public servant or politician stuffed something up they were fined personally and if they did it 3 times in 5 years they went to jail. Stuffing up would include taking too long to do anything.

Now wouldn't THAT change our society for the better.......
5 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2013, 01:10 PM   #13
K93George

In a sense the offences are broad; however, I couldn't imagine someone with merely a "loud" exhaust being done for unnecessary noise for just driving about casually. It would appear to apply to an engine that is screaming off the limiter or tyres screeching.

Dangerous driving seems straight forward, can't see how it would be misinterpreted honestly. Evading police doesn't mean driving into your drive way just before an RBT, or continuing to drive 50m with lights/ sirens in the mirror, it would mean driving through multiple intersection most likely above the limit with the intention of getting away from the police (for example).

Street racing is another no brainer, its obvious what racing on the street is, it can't be honestly misinterpreted. I'd imagine, quick take off by both participants or a line of them with or without tyre screeching.

I'm confident these laws would have no effect on me if they be introduced in Vic. It'll cause some of my friends to require a lift to work though! The issue I see here is, these laws require the person be caught, you'll never catch them all or have eyes on every street corner, till you do that you will never remove every hoon off the road. The things I've seen people my age do...
Old 17-04-2013, 01:53 PM   #14
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:

Yeah, those people who "Wilfully starting a motor vehicle or driving a motor vehicle in a way that makes unnecessary noise or smoke"

We need to take their cars off them if this happens twice in 5 years. So starting your car and givng the throttle a stab is now that bad.

What a joke, it is not hard to write good laws. We just have to hope now no traffic copper gets up on the wrong side of bed.

Old 17-04-2013, 02:07 PM   #15
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

VN Commo population in QLD will be culled with these laws..
5 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2013, 02:22 PM   #16
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
Yeah, those people who "Wilfully starting a motor vehicle or driving a motor vehicle in a way that makes unnecessary noise or smoke"

We need to take their cars off them if this happens twice in 5 years. So starting your car and givng the throttle a stab is now that bad.

What a joke, it is not hard to write good laws. We just have to hope now no traffic copper gets up on the wrong side of bed.
What a joke!

Are they going to take my mad two stroke 70hp yamaha boat motor away when I give it a Rev on the trailer to make sure it starts before fishing or after for a water flush? ?
Old 17-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #17
Eldubayu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kable72 View Post
Really? Is this even necessary? 83 incidents in 12 months is not even a ripple in the pond compared to drink driving offences, minor accidents due to people not paying attention. Hell, I bet there are more people that get booked for running a stop sign.
Yes, it is necessary. 83 incidents with convictions doesn't include the thousands who don't get caught. I encourage all people affected by late night hoons (or any hoons) to video the cretins and hand the footage into the police.
Old 17-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #18
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

And the many thousands more that don't get caught to the already thousands that do without roadworthy cars, DUI and generally have no clue how to drive at all. Yeah sounds about right. Take theirs cars and licences and make them lose their jobs just as much as losing your car for good will with this new legislation that is purely aimed at securing votes rather than looking at the bigger problem.

Hoons are a minority of a minority and quite often one who feels the need will go out to an industrial area or an otherwise deserted area where no one but themselves will get injured and yet Police still willingly single out these people who feel the need. In all honesty this is getting beyond a joke. Anything these days is classed as a hoon offence, foot slipping of the clutch and a little bit of tyre noise. Hoon. Driving a ute in the wet with no weight in the back and it steps out a little. Hoon. Having a vehicle that is too loud. Hoon. This is nothing but an utter joke that is not looking at the big picture rather than blowing up a small portion of said picture.
Old 17-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #19
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldubayu View Post
Yes, it is necessary. 83 incidents with convictions doesn't include the thousands who don't get caught. I encourage all people affected by late night hoons (or any hoons) to video the cretins and hand the footage into the police.
Quote:

Not sure if trolls...

As some of the others have pointed out, "laws" such as these set an extremely dangerous precedent. It will give the cops a legal carte blanche to essentially do whatever they want.
Old 17-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #20
Angeldust

Grabage... won't stop the fatalities like the one on the story bridge in front of a speed camera thats just happened here last week. (there's been two fatalities in as much as the last 3 years on this bridge. There's a speed camera for revenue rasing purposes so all is fine i guess)

im beggining to think people had/have more freedom in eastern europe than we do here.

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Old 17-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #21
Eldubayu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
Not sure if trolls...

As some of the others have pointed out, "laws" such as these set an extremely dangerous precedent. It will give the cops a legal carte blanche to essentially do whatever they want.
Not trolls. Just ordinary people getting sick of immature cretins putting innocent people's lives at risk and waking me up on a Sunday morning at 4:00 am.

Cops don't have carte blanche. We don't live in totalitarian society mate. They enforce the law. You want the law changed, lobby the transport minister.

And to all the loud whiners out there. If you don't want your car crushed, don't break the road rules ................ Is that simple enough for the morons out there ?
Old 17-04-2013, 02:59 PM   #22
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Not trolls. Just ordinary people getting sick of immature cretins putting innocent people's lives at risk and waking me up on a Sunday morning at 4:00 am.

Cops don't have carte blanche. We don't live in totalitarian society mate. They enforce the law. You want the law changed, lobby the transport minister.

And to all the loud whiners out there. If you don't want your car crushed, don't break the road rules ................ Is that simple enough for the morons out there ?
You do realise that the wording of these legal instruments you are applauding is such that it leaves it up to the discretion of plod whether a "hoon" offence has occured AND the legal system backs him no matter what he says. Again as the others have said, losing traction for a second on a wet road in an unladen ute is a hoon offence as per this new "law". Officer Plod could legally charge the driver with a hoon offence, confiscate said ute for god knows how long all whilst having the full support and backing of the entire legislative system. So yes, such a legal instrument will give them carte blanche.

The most important part however, is that confiscation by the authorities of a car is nothing but legalised theft. Where is the outcry about this??? If I were in this position, I would be reporting a carjacking and lodging an insurance claim...

Last edited by Trump; 17-04-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 17-04-2013, 03:06 PM   #23
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

It's all well and good to say "Don't break the law and you'll be sweet". You can't tell me that you've never, ever broken a road law ever made ever. You cannot. And if you have, you're a liar. Anything can be labelled as hoon behaviour now as there is no clear cut line as to what a hoon is and you can thank the media for that as they call everything on the road hoon behaviour.
Old 17-04-2013, 03:11 PM   #24
Eldubayu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
You do realise that the wording of these legal instruments you are applauding is such that it leaves it up to the discretion of plod whether a "hoon" offence has occured AND the legal system backs him no matter what he says. Again as the others have said, losing traction for a second on a wet road in an unladen ute is a hoon offence as per this new "law". Officer Plod could legally charge the driver with a hoon offence, confiscate said ute for god knows how long all whilst having the full support and backing of the entire legislative system. So yes, such a legal instrument will give them carte blanche.

The most important part however, is that confiscation by the authorities of a car is nothing but legalised theft. Where is the outcry about this??? If I were in this position, I would be reporting a carjacking and lodging an insurance claim...
Not a good metaphor. The police are not idiots. They are looking for cretins in imported buzz boxes and old V8 bangers.

In a functional society, I will gladly take the word of a police officer over the rantings of an immature hoon with a wrap sheet as long as his arm, any day.

Your ill mannered references to the police shows where you lie on this issue quite clearly. And if I catch you in my street hooning (as defined by the law), then be assured the police will know about it.

Cheers
Old 17-04-2013, 03:19 PM   #25
Eldubayu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kable72 View Post
It's all well and good to say "Don't break the law and you'll be sweet". You can't tell me that you've never, ever broken a road law ever made ever. You cannot. And if you have, you're a liar. Anything can be labelled as hoon behaviour now as there is no clear cut line as to what a hoon is and you can thank the media for that as they call everything on the road hoon behaviour.
No one is saying that they have never broken the law. But if you break the law, you will pay the consequences. As most of us have.

Hoon, and have your car confiscated/crushed ..... Simple.
Import drugs into Indonesia, and you get the death penalty ..... Simple

It's pretty clear cut to me.

Introduce new laws and it is usually the criminals that complain the loudest.
Old 17-04-2013, 03:31 PM   #26
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not a good metaphor. The police are not idiots. They are looking for cretins in imported buzz boxes and old V8 bangers.

In a functional society, I will gladly take the word of a police officer over the rantings of an immature hoon with a wrap sheet as long as his arm, any day.

Your ill mannered references to the police shows where you lie on this issue quite clearly. And if I catch you in my street hooning (as defined by the law), then be assured the police will know about it.

Cheers
YOUR street?

You own a street?

Maybe you should remember you are part of a society and you have the privilage of having a street in front of your house that is owned and payed for by all the people not just you.......

And only criminals complain the loudest about new laws?

Seriously?

You are calling Martin Luthur King, Nelson Mandella, Mahatma Ghandi et al criminals?
5 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2013, 04:02 PM   #27
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I'd have thought that existing laws would have catered adequately for anti-social morons who are too selfish or too stupid to realise that they never were and never will be the centre of the universe.

Old 17-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #28
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Wasn't a statistic released some time last year that at time of post that only 12 people had been killed since the hoon legislation was introduced? Don't know if it was 12 people exactly or not but it was a rediculously small number compared to other offences.
Old 17-04-2013, 04:12 PM   #29
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

Yep, along with everything else that's happened over the last 2 years, this just expresses that this country is going down the pipe.

No surprises there though.
Old 17-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #30
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Honestly some of you are carrying on like they are going to give you life in front of a firing squad. Drive sensibly , don't break the law and you have nothing to fear. Far too many out there couldn't give a ****** about other road users and if this is what it takes to make our roads safer then so be it.
If you are all as good a driver as you think you are you will be fine , otherwise you now know the penalties , can't say they didn't warn you.
GT450
2 users like this post:
Closed Thread