Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-03-2005, 12:17 PM   #1
Mr Cube
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Leaky Boot

Any one else with a S1 with the Bi-Spoiler got a leaky boot? If so do you know where it leaks from?

I originally thought from the legs, but investigation proved that not to be the case, as the holes go into the sill and not into the boot itself. Then I tought underneath the LED brake light, but that doesn't have a hole any where..

Got me stumped, what Im finding is after a bit of rain when I open the boot the water rushes in and goes into the boot.

Mine has been stuffed for awhile but the car being always garaged I didn't worry too much about it, but now living on the coast starting to get a bit worried about the salt air and rust..

AUI VCT:
To date - Big brake upgrade, Koni and Kings all round, 2.5 cat back ready for replacing, 19" again ready for replacing.

Planned - Too much now I got the baby back.
Mr Cube is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2005, 01:39 AM   #2
bomber
Banned

Ive got single spoiler on a S1 mine was leaking through the bolts that hold spoiler to boot lid. undone them and put some silicone - no more gaps in there do them up no more leaks. :voldar02:
bomber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2005, 02:57 PM   #3
Mr Cube
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

after taking another more detailed look at it that would make sence, as the boot isn't a solid piece of steel is it...

thanks

AUI VCT:
To date - Big brake upgrade, Koni and Kings all round, 2.5 cat back ready for replacing, 19" again ready for replacing.

Last edited by Mr Cube; 18-03-2005 at 03:03 PM.
Old 31-03-2005, 11:58 PM   #4
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber
Ive got single spoiler on a S1 mine was leaking through the bolts that hold spoiler to boot lid. undone them and put some silicone - no more gaps in there do them up no more leaks. :voldar02:
Have just bought 99 VCT a few weeks ago. Same problem. Had thought that silicon - no more gaps would work best. Wasnt sure about the effect on paint. If any. Off to the shop i go, i'll fix that tomorrow, weather permitting!
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2005, 02:30 AM   #5
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Cubey - we had that problem with the XR6. It's probably the hole that the electrical wiring goes through. Easiest fix is to go to an autoparts store an buy a 7/8" (I think) solid grommet. Make a smallish X in it with a stanley knife and run the wiring through this. Or just silicon it up. It is a bad design, and probably why ford changed it for AU2 onwards.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2005, 03:13 AM   #6
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My Series 3 does the exact same thing. Might be the the bolt holes. Maybe at the jc house of repair today we can look at it :hihi:
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2005, 03:34 AM   #7
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Maybe. You just getting up? Or just going to bed after that bombers debacle? When will they learn to play all 4 quarters of footy?

Bucky - I think Adam is dropping a couple of things off to you, for me.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 02-04-2005, 07:35 AM   #8
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was happily asleep until my mobile rang at 1.20. On Call, the extra cash is good, until someone calls you when ya should be sleeping.

I didn't know that. I'll give Adam a call this arvo and tee something up

I turned fox footy on and see those knuckleheads playing.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:26 PM   #9
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
My Series 3 does the exact same thing. Might be the the bolt holes. Maybe at the jc house of repair today we can look at it :hihi:
What's the jc house of repair?
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2005, 01:03 PM   #10
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Futura Wagon
What's the jc house of repair?
Thats when Bucky turns up to JC's house and says "can you please fix this?"

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2005, 03:43 PM   #11
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
That's a handy place to go by the sounds of things!

Looks like everyone needs JC! :hihi:
Old 02-04-2005, 05:04 PM   #12
Mr Cube
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah ya can't go past a JC..

I took off my spoiler today, only to find a couple of different problems..

1) The adhesive that is used to hold the spoiler pretty much had eroded to nothing..

2) One of the screws that holds the spolier to the base, screws into a round knobby thing that seems to be moulded into the spoiler well mine had just about broken away so when I took off the spoiler and a breeze went past it came out.. So a bit of Araldite later, it should be right.

Next is to get the grommets plugged in and we should be right... Oh the dramas.

Will keep ya posted of the progress for others that may have a similar prob..

Was considering keeping the spoiler off, but from different angles the car just looks weird..

AUI VCT:

Last edited by Mr Cube; 02-04-2005 at 05:12 PM.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:47 PM   #13
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

JC is now on the Bucknaked Employment Books. I gave him a trial run today, he worked out ok, so I am going to emply him long term. Pity the pay is crap :

I've done that a few times now casper. "JC, what the .... is this thing?"

"In the car business Buckie, we call dem car keys"
Old 02-04-2005, 09:00 PM   #14
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

lol, if I lived in the ACT there would probably be another black AU XR6 VCT there as well begging for some work to be done.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2005, 09:01 PM   #15
GK
Walking with God

[QUOTE=Mr Cube]

Oh the dramas.

Hope you get it sorted ok.

Cheers
Old 03-04-2005, 12:04 PM   #16
Mr Cube
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=99 Futura Wagon]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cube

Oh the dramas.

Hope you get it sorted ok.

Cheers
should be OK the spoiler goes back on today...The araldite seems to have held it well..

Quote:
lol, if I lived in the ACT there would probably be another black AU XR6 VCT there as well begging for some work to be done.
I owe my slotted rotors to JC and his school of car mods.. Went over in the morning thinking it would be a 2hr job max (that is of course including chat time) back home at lunch I nearly ended up having to sleep over.. The damn back left rotor, just wouldn't budge... Ah good times.

AUI VCT:

Last edited by Mr Cube; 03-04-2005 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:53 PM   #17
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

And no warranties offered from the JC house of repair - except on Blue LED dash mods. You get 2 years, or 3 turns of the headlight switch warrranty! lol.

Bucky - we didn't quite get to your spoiler. Just let me know when you want to come on over and we'll have a look.

Cubie - yeh, that back left rotor. What a mess. Oh well, you live and learn, and we both learnt heaps that day! (I learnt to adjust handbrake shoes before fitting the new rotor, you learnt to move to BB to get away from my dodgy mechanical skills!).
Keep us updated on the leaky boot - that way I won't have to learn the hard way again. Even though the grommet fixed mine, yours may be a different problem, so it will be interesting to see what's fixed it. Oh - I had the same issue with the nobbly things holding the spoiler bolts in. All fixed now though.

Old 05-04-2005, 08:55 PM   #18
falcon01
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have AUII futura with spoiler all the way across the boot it leaked after taking it to the local ford dealer the tightened it and said it was fixed but it was'nt. After trying to fix it myself only to snap the spoiler was'nt happy. Purchased a new one from my father in law how is spare parts manager, luckly he find one of last that was my colour and not just primed had it fitted and glue still leaked. Took it to another panel beater closer to home how said there is enough glu under there to discover it was the bolts that hold the number plate on. Sprayed with fish oil and rust preventer as there was a small amount of surface rust all good now

AU2 Futura Sedan Pacemker Headers, red back exhaust cat back, ss cold air induction, k&n air filter, Top gun ingtion leads, Blue leds in dash and console
falcon01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2005, 09:08 PM   #19
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting. I might check that one out. Maybe water does catch there and go in though the plate holes.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:31 PM   #20
Sylox
Uterus M.I.A.

I know on the AU wagons they are prone to leak from around the shroud that covers the fuel filler. Easiest way to fix that is to drop the tank pull the shroud out and put a big thick bead of silicone around it and place it back, smooth the excess off and clean it up.

Sylox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2005, 08:42 AM   #21
Mr Cube
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The test of my handy work starts today.. Looks like we are going to have a bit of rain... Willl keep you guys tuned in..

Ended up using Windscreen sealant and putting it around the inside base,

fingers crossed

AUI VCT: