Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 21-09-2011, 04:36 PM   #1
Mad_Pom

Default What do people thick of "Active Park Assist?"

Been trying to choose which model to buy.
What do people think of "active park assist"?
Is it a reason to buy?
Are there any problems?

Mad_Pom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2011, 04:50 PM   #2
Stanko
Lurker

Default Re: What do people thick of "Active Park Assist?"

I think it's just an expensive option, it's really not that hard to do a reverse park and from what I can say that was a part of getting my license.

Unless you live in the city and reverse parking is annoying for you I don't see a reason to get it.

The more advanced something is, the more that can go wrong with it.
Old 21-09-2011, 04:53 PM   #3
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guess the question needs to be asked.. Can you reverse park?? If the answer is NO, then active park is good, if it's YES, then active park is useless..
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2011, 04:57 PM   #4
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Hmm I can see how its useful for some, but as a whole I dont agree with it. If you can get the park then keep on driving.
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2011, 04:59 PM   #5
qdda5

I wouldnt mind park assist at all. If I new I could let go of the wheel and the car would do the rest is fine by me. Thats old age for you. Wonder who wears the liability if the park assist isnt correct and it hits the other car?? I understand the more the car can do the more that can go wrong with it. but in my years of owning cars I dont hang onto them more than when the warranty runs out anyway.
qdda5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2011, 05:22 PM   #6
DeKa

Quote:
Originally Posted by qdda5
I wouldnt mind park assist at all. If I new I could let go of the wheel and the car would do the rest is fine by me. Thats old age for you. Wonder who wears the liability if the park assist isnt correct and it hits the other car?? I understand the more the car can do the more that can go wrong with it. but in my years of owning cars I dont hang onto them more than when the warranty runs out anyway.
You do. You're still operating the throttle and brake. It's your responsibility as the driver to stop before hitting the car in front/behind.
DeKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2011, 06:09 PM   #7
ConradP

Quote:
Originally Posted by qdda5
As DeKa said, also it's Active park "assist" not an automated system, so you're still "in control" and I really don't see a reason why you would hit someone seeing as you control how fast you're going by holding your foot on the break.
Old 21-09-2011, 06:13 PM   #8
qdda5

Smile Re: What do people thick of "Active Park Assist?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradP
As DeKa said, also it's Active park "assist" not an automated system, so you're still "in control" and I really don't see a reason why you would hit someone seeing as you control how fast you're going by holding your foot on the break.

Wasnt sure how it all worked but thanks for the heads up.
qdda5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2011, 06:25 PM   #9
ptwhite2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
I guess the question needs to be asked.. Can you reverse park?? If the answer is NO, then active park is good, if it's YES, then active park is useless..
The question that needs to be asked is: Can you reverse park? If the answer is NO, then what the heck are you doing with a licence?? That's assuming you have one, of course.
ptwhite2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2011, 06:28 PM   #10
ptwhite2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptwhite2003
The question that needs to be asked is: Can you reverse park? If the answer is NO, then what the heck are you doing with a licence?? That's assuming you have one, of course.
I just realised, Joe5619, that my comment sounds as if I am questioning your personal driving skills. I apologise. I was thinking in general terms.
ptwhite2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2011, 06:44 PM   #11
MexicanBatman
Banned

I personally wouldn't use it, but it is handy for times in total darkness into tight spots where there are no visual clues and you can see nothing out the rear and side of the car, I tested a new golf in complete darkness into a small space that I'd have not bothered with, but I was testing the parking assist system and it worked perfectly... Now for those who can't park it's got to be a big help there, and sure I'm all for people actually learning how to drive, but in this day and age that will never happen, just like the amount of young people at work who can not drive manual etc...
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2011, 06:56 PM   #12
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

any clown that cant reverse park a car.. should be baby seal style clubbed on the back of the head.. donk....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2011, 07:05 PM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
any clown that cant reverse park a car.. should be baby seal style clubbed on the back of the head.. donk....
I lol'd, so random.

I struggle to reverse park a car, why reverse it in when you can drive through one?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2011, 07:13 PM   #14
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I lol'd, so random.

I struggle to reverse park a car, why reverse it in when you can drive through one?
donk... donk..... one for goodluck......
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2011, 07:45 PM   #15
Aussie XB12SS
Buell Man

Got it but haven't used it yet.
By the time it takes to pull up to the car prior to the available spot, switch on park assist, drive past the empty bay &alongsidee the next car so a measurement can be taken, I will be already parked the old fashioned way.

I do see plenty of people though who need as much assistance as possible trying to park.
Harley Fat Bob
Aussie XB12SS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2011, 08:20 PM   #16
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

IMHO people who can't reverse park a car should send their licence back to Kellogg's and ask for a refund
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2011, 08:31 PM   #17
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's not fool proof either. If the car can't register the curb, that is, the curb isn't high enough, it'll direct the cars rim right into it. Yeah. That's test driving on the edge...
Old 22-09-2011, 09:35 PM   #18
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What is really useful is the Mercedes and Subarau safety feature on cruise control where it slows you down if you get too close to the car in front. That is it maintains a safe distance behind without you needing to brake and thus stop using cruise.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2011, 09:46 PM   #19
ConradP

Quote:
Originally Posted by marg99
What is really useful is the Mercedes and Subarau safety feature on cruise control where it slows you down if you get too close to the car in front. That is it maintains a safe distance behind without you needing to brake and thus stop using cruise.

The new Titanium's do this as well, also the steering wheel vibrates if you veer out of your lane while going at 60 or higher.
Old 22-09-2011, 09:48 PM   #20
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Personally don't like it. Like others have said if you can't reverse park hand your licence back in.
Old 22-09-2011, 09:51 PM   #21
a-total-tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by marg99
Random post that has nothing to do with the topic at hand. The titanium comes with this feature when optioned up with the sports executive pack. Ford calls it 'Adaptive Cruise Control'

As for the park assist. I have test driven a titanium, I have tried the feature. I feel that I am putting a lot of trust into the car for in order to use the feature. but it is always good to know that the feature can easily be over-ridden. These sorts of features will become more common place. The design/safety aspects of a lot of new cars are that they have high window lines and low seats. The by product of this is that you can see bugger all out the back (especially when you are a shortass like me). These cars really benefit from sensors and cameras but I don't think that the self parking is necessary.
a-total-tool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2011, 10:02 PM   #22
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ
IMHO people who can't reverse park a car should send their licence back to Kellogg's and ask for a refund
Its a random chance of getting a reverse park in the Vic license test, I got the three point turn instead.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2011, 10:05 PM   #23
ConradP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Its a random chance of getting a reverse park in the Vic license test, I got the three point turn instead.
I had both I guess my instructor hated me.
Old 22-09-2011, 10:08 PM   #24
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

We looked at the new Focus last weekend, I have no doubt that my wife will be purchasing one inside the next 3 months, lovely car and really have moved up a class from prevoius models in specs, options and finish.
How much does Active Park Assist cost as an option and is it standard on any of the models?

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2011, 10:39 PM   #25
blatchie

Park assist is only on the Titanium model .Titanium is only Auto sorry Powershift.as well as bum warming seats
blatchie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2011, 10:41 PM   #26
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
We looked at the new Focus last weekend, I have no doubt that my wife will be purchasing one inside the next 3 months, lovely car and really have moved up a class from prevoius models in specs, options and finish.
How much does Active Park Assist cost as an option and is it standard on any of the models?
It's standard on the Titanium, but I don't think it's an option on the "lesser" models.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2011, 11:35 PM   #27
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blatchie
.Titanium is only Auto sorry Powershift.as well as bum warming seats
Auto is the only way she will drive..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2011, 12:34 PM   #28
leakey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, my take is that it's for those who cant reverse park confidently.

I reckon them ticking the option box will save MY CAR from a bump or scrape when these RP-challenged drivers try to get in a space between mine and another car.

Bloody expensive I hear. Mind you they said that about air-conditioning back in the day.... "why pay for that when you can just wind the window down!" Now it's pretty much standard equipment.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:04 PM   #29
20focus05
I wanna XR5

So on the add it says it virtually parks itself!

Therefore when you think you have parked, you haven't!! LOL

I did see, I think it was a volvo do it quite a few years ago.

Ex Ford owner and member of this great site for ages.

South Australia, where the RIGHT hand lane is the NEW LEFT lane??????!!! %&#@*
20focus05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2011, 11:26 PM   #30
Pete A
Boss 260

Might sound stupid, but we bought the Titanium for:
Leather
Better 18" wheels
Good sound system
parking sensors
Just looked nice.

Don't care about
Parking assist
Bum warmers in Sydney? -come on!

Probably haven't even found some of the gadgets yet.

Thought the missus was a dead certainty to buy the Golf. Wrong! She preferred the Focus. Just when you think you know them they go and do something you don't expect.
Pete A is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post