Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 18-09-2011, 07:46 PM   #1
XpV8

Default 2009 interior light or lack of?

Howdy

We have a 2009 focus hatch . Just wondering anyone noticed how little light the front interior light pumps out? Is a front only interior light standard these days ? Very annoying trying to strap the little one in at night time!
So thats my whinge, just wondering is it straight forward hooking an after market one in the centre and has anyone done it?

Cheers

XpV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2011, 07:51 PM   #2
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2009 interior light or lack of?

Try a LED replacement for the OEM bulb first, it will make a difference (whether it is enough is another matter).
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2011, 12:07 AM   #3
XpV8

Good idea I'll start with that

Thanks!
Old 19-09-2011, 07:58 AM   #4
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I don't mind the front light, it's the rear that really annoys me actually. No light at all. At night you open the rear doors to get something and it's pitch black.

Cost cutting.... I want to look into getting some LED fittings for each side of the rear wired into the front lights but want it to look neat.

At least you have the option of putting brighter lights in a fitting that's there!
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2011, 01:17 AM   #5
rand0mn00b

yep the front light is next to useless for the front, don't even mention the rear

one of my main gripes with the Focus
rand0mn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2011, 02:32 PM   #6
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XpV8
Howdy

We have a 2009 focus hatch . Just wondering anyone noticed how little light the front interior light pumps out? Is a front only interior light standard these days ? Very annoying trying to strap the little one in at night time!
So thats my whinge, just wondering is it straight forward hooking an after market one in the centre and has anyone done it?

Cheers
I did this to mine:

Bought a secondhand light assembly from the UK (same as the one used in the front) and put a LED globe in there. Works a treat.
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2011, 04:15 PM   #7
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Russ#Es#
I did this to mine:

Bought a secondhand light assembly from the UK (same as the one used in the front) and put a LED globe in there. Works a treat.
Looks tidy mate, where did you source the power from ?
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2011, 04:43 PM   #8
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ
Curious to know that as well. One of the main reasons I haven't bothered doing it as yet.

Does the boot light illuminate with the doors I wonder? Perhaps that's an option?
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2011, 06:05 PM   #9
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Curious to know that as well. One of the main reasons I haven't bothered doing it as yet.

Does the boot light illuminate with the doors I wonder? Perhaps that's an option?
It probably does, I wouldn't particularly want to pull the hood lining down just to wire it up, seen it done before and it never sits the same
Old 20-09-2011, 06:19 PM   #10
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
It probably does, I wouldn't particularly want to pull the hood lining down just to wire it up, seen it done before and it never sits the same
Not to mention, touch it once.

BLACK MARKS, EVERYWHERE!
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2011, 07:17 PM   #11
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Quote:
I did it a while ago, but pretty sure I ran it from the drivers door. Had to run a wire above the roof lining. I didn't actually use the complete surround - see shot below (NB. every time I look at the pic it seems like the fitting isn't installed straight, but it definitely is!):

I have toyed with idea of fitting the surrounding trim but need to look at how to make it work - unfortunately the trim has a slight curve to it that's different to the curve of the roof lining.
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles

Old 20-09-2011, 07:23 PM   #12
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Sorry for the off topic link, but for anyone looking for better light in the boot I can vouch for this: 12VDC Flexible 21 LED Lgihts White

Have used one in my sedan for 4+ years and no problems at all, every LED still works perfectly (despite being on firmer suspension).

Old 20-09-2011, 08:01 PM   #13
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guess another option would be to just stick one of those LED push lights onto an easy to access plastic section somewhere in the back, they last for ages, I have a couple of them stuck outside on my verandah, rather than having to chuck on the big light at night and encourage 20 million moths into the house, I just press on an LED. Just took a quick snap on my phone

Old 20-09-2011, 10:13 PM   #14
casabonka
You can call me Chris

out of 10 whats the degree in difficulty in installing that second light?
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2011, 04:58 PM   #15
XpV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Russ#Es#
I did this to mine:

that looks great, where was your entry point to run the wire inside the hood lining from?

cheers
Old 21-09-2011, 08:20 PM   #16
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by casabonka
out of 10 whats the degree in difficulty in installing that second light?
I would say a 6/10, takes a little patience to run the wire through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XpV8
that looks great, where was your entry point to run the wire inside the hood lining from?

cheers
On second thought, I ran the rear light off the front one - I had to put in a higher amp fuse. Just need to drop the lining on one side to get enough access. I joined a piece of fencing wire to feed the wire from the front to the rear and out the small hole I cut for the new light.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:48 PM   #17
leakey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey guys. I would strongly suggest cruising Ebay UK for oem parts.

You can usually pick up a genuine LR or LS Ghia rear light with a plug (important) and the metal backing (super important) and land it here in OZ, using Royal Mail small packets service for abou AUD$10 all up.

Whilst you are looking for that, also look for the small vanity lights that go under the visors, an additional footwell or boot light, and best of all, an XR5 style front interior light.

I've done all these mods very easily myself, and they look and work a treat.

All run through the front interior light assembly, so they dim at the same time.

My next mod will be using foot well light assemblies in the wing mirrors to use as puddle lights. Also run through the centre interior light.

I did a how to on the rear light and I think also the vanity lights. Have a look for it.

But changing the centre to an XR5 unit is just brilliant. Map lights and super bright OEM lamps too.

You should be able to upgrade all of your lighting for under $50 using Ebay UK.

Have fun!