Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 29-08-2007, 03:12 PM   #1
Duke
The Duke

Default Father's Day

Or in my case, Step-Fathers day...

Howdy all, I was asked what I wanted for Fathers Day and my answer was no surprise... stuff for the ute (of course : ).

I thought a Karcher or Gerni might be good for washing the ute as they can be run from a bucket of water. 1750 PSI for about $400...

Firstly, anyone got one or used one that can offer an opinion?

Secondly, what other gift suggestions do you have?

Old 29-08-2007, 03:18 PM   #2
Duke
The Duke

I heard about this on TV, (so it has to be true of course), you can buy Australian newspapers from almost any day in the past 80 years or so.

I bought my Dad a Sydney newspaper that was published the day he was born in 1937. It comes in a presentation folder and is the ACTUAL newspaper, not a reprint.

I thought that was pretty cool. I can never find the ol' boy anything good and it beats the hell outta socks and jocks. Only cost about $100 or something.
Old 29-08-2007, 06:02 PM   #3
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I have NO idea what to get my Dad!

He doesn't like sport, doesn't play cards or gamble, doesn't read books.
I got him plenty of clothes already since he's lost about 26kg in the last few years and his old clothes were looking a bit silly.
He doesn't really drink, being a professional driver he can't really anyway.
He has no hobbies outside of work.

So far I have given him a card, and I took him out to dinner a few weeks ago for his birthday, so that has been done as well.

A couple of friends got their Dad a Navman, or else he wanted a BBQ which he would have never used.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2007, 07:28 PM   #4
J_Tank
Bring on the Boss

pro driver then maybe things to make driving more comfortable? travel coffee mug, thermos, neck pillow... plenty of options right there.
J_Tank is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2007, 07:35 PM   #5
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Maybe a couple of laps driving a V8 SuperCar. SuperCheap Auto have them i think. $200-$300 or something. Depends on how many laps. Different packages etc etc. Anyone have more info on these ?
Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2007, 07:40 PM   #6
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAadam
Maybe a couple of laps driving a V8 SuperCar. SuperCheap Auto have them i think. $200-$300 or something. Depends on how many laps. Different packages etc etc. Anyone have more info on these ?
This the one
http://www.hot-laps.com.au/index.php...8%20experience

Or this one
http://www.v8race.com.au/index0.html
Old 29-08-2007, 07:48 PM   #7
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darran
Yep. Spot on. Thanks Darran. I hope this helps OpTrader.
Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2007, 07:51 PM   #8
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that you drive rally thing looks good, might get my old man that, $215 for 6 laps around a 1.5k circuit.
he'd love it
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2007, 08:00 PM   #9
conordec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

when is it??? lol
conordec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2007, 11:25 PM   #10
Duke
The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAadam
Yep. Spot on. Thanks Darran. I hope this helps OpTrader.
Yeah, all good thoughts. My Dad's 70 though.... a few laps around a track might be too much for his ticker.... neck pillow is more his style

Conordec.... Don't miss fathers day man, as Bill Cosby said.... "son, I brought you into this world, and I can take you out"
You may not be a popular boy :
Old 30-08-2007, 07:43 AM   #11
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

Mines hard, as Fathers day here was celebrated in May, and I will be in Vegas on Saturday (Sunday in Australia), so we are going to have to call the old man from Vegas which will him off anyway, but we sent some stuff from the little fella last week in the hope it arrives in time for there....

Craig
MYVYSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2007, 10:03 AM   #12
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

i was just asking my wife, do they have fathers/mothers day in USA, so its earlier over there MYVYSS???
Old 30-08-2007, 05:02 PM   #13
Duke
The Duke

I'm going for the Gerni I think...
Old 30-08-2007, 05:16 PM   #14
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

OT where did you get the newspaper deal from?
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2007, 09:28 PM   #15
Serial_Fool
Whipper Snappa

Yeah i wouldnt mind one of the copies of the newspaper that started the supercar scare.
Old 30-08-2007, 09:47 PM   #16
XRchic
Hello

I got my Dad a "portable office" which is a fancy name for a really nice trolley case thing, which is cabin luggage sized, and also specially designed to hold a laptop and associated bits, all kinds of pens, folders, and other office-like equipment. Super lightweight, wheels which roll properly, nice zippers which dont get jammed and rather large all up... I got him this because he has a stupid small briefcase which he carts around everywhere, and then he has files under each arm and his medication bag (he is a diabetic and takes his insulin everywhere, and other stuff he has to take), and all the stuff that wont fit in his briefcase.. he usually ends up dropping it everywhere...

He travels a lot - day to day, around the metro area, around town and interstate so it will be very useful I think. It even has a special pouch area for his medication.

In the past I have gotten him various models of Fords - GT was the last one (Phantom) and a few others... he loves them. I have also gotten the regular stuff like ties and shirts, but I get him really nice stuff which is cooler than what Mum gets him and he likes it.

He loves gadgets, so he has a whole lot of electronic things Ive bought for him too. Gadgets and cars (Fords). I have also gotten him the full Ford Racing gear, like mugs, glasses, clocks, shirts (a few FPR shirts from Clipsal)..

I reckon he would love the V8 SC drive though... he is 66 soon, but he is still fit and would do that in a heartbeat. He was eyeing off the track at Mallala on the weekend and reckons next track day he will go out there (he used to race there a lot).

I was born on Father's Day too, which is kinda cool because me and my Dad are really close. My birthday is this Sunday so we are having a big birthday/Father's Day dinner for us, and Eamon too... Im not sure where, its a surprise.

Anyways, Happy Father's Day to all the Dads out there, this weekend!!!

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2007, 09:54 PM   #17
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84RGE
OT where did you get the newspaper deal from?
i'd like to know this as well
Old 30-08-2007, 09:56 PM   #18
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Hey, this is a good thread..... Made me think of my father... Born 1903 died 5 weeks short of his 100th birthday, a few years ago now.
Thanks OT. Brought back a few excellent memories....

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2007, 10:03 PM   #19
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I lost my father to Liver cancer just over two years ago, so this year, like last year, we'll more than likely be visiting his grave with Mum and my brothers.
We have all come to terms with what has occurred, but still will be taking the time to visit his grave.

Please spare a thought for the people who didn't make it as well. One day, unfortunately, it'll be you.

I also believe that we are doing breakfast for my Father-In-Law as well. Not sure what the wife has in store for him.

If Dad was still around, then I'm sure that we'd be buying him some tool or some other gadget as that was what he liked most. Either tools for the shed or things for the computer.
Old 30-08-2007, 11:49 PM   #20
Duke
The Duke

Hey guys, the newspaper turned up today, in a presentation folder and enscripted with message to my Dad, the paper is inside the folder and comes wrapped in plastic.

It's the real deal, the genuine article from 70 years ago. Me and my stepson sat down and read it, it's bloody fantastic and very interesting... things like an ad for a "Glorious 16 day cruise around the Fijian islands for 24pounds", Old cars for sale, blocks of land for sale in the heart of Sydney for 300 pounds.... fascinating.

If you're interested, (great present at any time for any one I reckon) go to paperworld.com.au, tell them I sent you.... nah they wouldn't give a crap, don't do that... Honestly, it's real blast and very unique and interesting.

Jac, that suitcase thing sounds great, my dad does developing and always has a bunch of paperwork etc and he also does ballroom dancing (poof ) so he has a lot of bits and pieces that he travels around with too. I wouldn't mind some more details if you care to fill me in. Happy birthday for this Sunday dear girl, I'm sure you were a lovely present for your dad, shall we say, 21 years ago couldn't be more than that, surely.

Doofey, your right mate, for those of us who've lost a parent, special occasions can bring pain too, but we should remember them with smiles in hearts as well as the tears in our eyes.

ooo I feel all warm and fuzzy now.... GROUP HUG !!! (no groping)
Old 31-08-2007, 12:37 AM   #21
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Thanks op, although i think it will be late, im going to put an order in for dad for his birthdate paper, which in a coincidence (like Jac and her dad) was born on his mothers birthday.
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2007, 12:54 AM   #22
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpTrader
Hey guys, the newspaper turned up today, in a presentation folder and enscripted with message to my Dad, the paper is inside the folder and comes wrapped in plastic.

It's the real deal, the genuine article from 70 years ago. Me and my stepson sat down and read it, it's bloody fantastic and very interesting... things like an ad for a "Glorious 16 day cruise around the Fijian islands for 24pounds", Old cars for sale, blocks of land for sale in the heart of Sydney for 300 pounds.... fascinating.

If you're interested, (great present at any time for any one I reckon) go to paperworld.com.au, tell them I sent you.... nah they wouldn't give a crap, don't do that... Honestly, it's real blast and very unique and interesting.

Jac, that suitcase thing sounds great, my dad does developing and always has a bunch of paperwork etc and he also does ballroom dancing (poof ) so he has a lot of bits and pieces that he travels around with too. I wouldn't mind some more details if you care to fill me in. Happy birthday for this Sunday dear girl, I'm sure you were a lovely present for your dad, shall we say, 21 years ago couldn't be more than that, surely.

Doofey, your right mate, for those of us who've lost a parent, special occasions can bring pain too, but we should remember them with smiles in hearts as well as the tears in our eyes.

ooo I feel all warm and fuzzy now.... GROUP HUG !!! (no groping)
Hey Jeff

The case/wheelie thing I got for Dad is a Samsonite one, got it from Strand Bags in their trolley case/luggage section. It wasnt cheap, but its nice. I reckon Myers and places like that would have them too, they wouldnt be hard to find.

Hmmmm yeah.... 21 sounds good....

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2007, 03:07 AM   #23
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8fella
i was just asking my wife, do they have fathers/mothers day in USA, so its earlier over there MYVYSS???
Yeah it was in May sometime, only a couple of weeks after we arrived, it sort of caught us off guard a little....

Craig
MYVYSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2007, 03:12 AM   #24
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
I lost my father to Liver cancer just over two years ago, so this year, like last year, we'll more than likely be visiting his grave with Mum and my brothers.
We have all come to terms with what has occurred, but still will be taking the time to visit his grave.
Yep, lost my dad to cancer 6 years ago last month. Do you ever really come to terms with it though? Sometimes I look at the photo I have of him in a frame and I think "oh that's right, you're not here". For some of us, it takes quite a while I guess to really come to terms with it.

Very difficult when occassions like this approach. I'll be at the cemetary with my mum & sister, as usual. Then back to mum's place for lunch. Have a good chat with a few tears, go home and get on with life. What more can you do aye.
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2007, 02:45 PM   #25
X000BOSS
I12 GO FASTER

[QUOTE=XRchic]IIn the past I have gotten him various Fords - GT was the last one QUOTE]

you must be doing really well for yourself. i wish i could get a gt for myself, let alone buy one for my old man....
Old 31-08-2007, 02:48 PM   #26
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My parents are anti-parent days.

Seeing that Mum's birthday is always at the same time as Father's Day, we go out for dinner, without my twin of course. We just give him a bucket of fish heads and chain him up in the attic.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2007, 03:51 PM   #27
Duke
The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
My parents are anti-parent days.

Seeing that Mum's birthday is always at the same time as Father's Day, we go out for dinner, without my twin of course. We just give him a bucket of fish heads and chain him up in the attic.
Are they the fresh heads or the older smellier type?
Old 31-08-2007, 04:35 PM   #28
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

yeah im stuck on what to buy my dad also ... he is 43 and, i just dont know what to get him ...

he's not into doing up or spending money on his car ... so a mod or accesory is out of the question ... he doesn't sit down and listen to music or watch Movies, so im not getting him a CD or DVD ... and he's not a heavy fan of any car make ...

what do you dad's want???

i was thinking of getting him a model of one of his favourite cars that he owned as a teenager, as he was really into his cars when he was young!!??
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia

Last edited by nversace; 31-08-2007 at 04:36 PM. Reason: clicked wrong button
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2007, 04:48 PM   #29
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Parents are 65 and 60 (tomorrow!).

Older people. Especially Dad. He is suffering from a combination of old-fart syndrome as well as post-employment stress.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2007, 06:29 PM   #30
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Went to BUNNINGS and got mine the Twist- Lok Drill and driver system, its all over the telly at the moment , Bloody top tool , Imho drill a hole, snap on the head and screw in the Whatever? Cant believe this wasn,t thought of earlier ...... :
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post