http://carpoint.com.au/news/2009/for...onsumers-15846

Old 15-07-2009, 09:45 PM   #2
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

Quote:
ental companies driven by consumers
words - Ken Gratton
Changing buyer types are keeping Ford on its toes

Ford has discovered the fountain of youth -- and it's powered by the company's product lines. Market research indicates that the average age of Fiesta buyers is now around 18-19 years old.

"When was the last time we saw 18/19-year olds driving Fords?" asked company president Marin Burela during last week's monthly sales briefing to the press.

Similarly, the age of Falcon G6E buyers is coming down -- now somewhere around the 35-40YO bracket.

Over quite a short space of time, the company's clientele seems to be changing significantly. Marin Burela advised that since from about November of last year through to May, a count of Falcons sold shows that the base model XT has fallen from favour drastically, but the more profitable XR and G Series models have taken up the slack.

And in case you're thinking that the diminution of XT buyers is a symptom of private fleets, rental companies and government backing away from the Falcon, Burela has a counterpoint to that view. He cites rental fleet sales, which have been down significantly in recent times, but some of the rental operators are now beating a path to Ford's door -- and it's not necessarily to buy fleet hacks at heavily discounted prices, as happened in the past.

"The level of enquiry that we have had from the major rental companies in Australia has been extremely encouraging for us," he said at last week's monthly sales briefing.

"We have signed up some very significant contracts with some of the rental companies -- and it's been done on the basis of enquiry from their customers for our products.

"It hasn't been because the rental car company said 'we want to go and buy a Ford'. It was through direct enquiry after enquiry and people saying 'I want to drive a Territory', 'I want to drive a Falcon'. 'When are you going to get a Fiesta?'

"We've actually decided we weren't going to put Fiestas into the rental market at all -- and we're getting incredible enquiry, saying 'hey look, when are you going to give us some Fiestas, because we're just getting one enquiry after another on Fiestas?'

"So we've been pushing back on that; one, because of availability and two, we think that it's not the right time to put that vehicle into the rental market at this time."

It's not just the Fiesta that's appealing to rental fleets and their customers, according to Burela.

"A lot of the demand and enquiry from the rental-car companies has been on the higher derivatives -- other than the base model. Traditionally, it's always been 'go out there and get as many XTs as you possibly can into the rental market' -- and now people are booking their holidays and they say 'Can I get an XR6?'

"The greatest disappointment we had was some of the rental companies, we had to say 'sorry, we can't give you any, because they've sold out for a period of time -- so we haven't got any to give you'.

Non-private buyers are beginning to buy non-fleet Falcons in larger numbers than in the past. In many cases, fleets are buying XR Falcons and G Series models for their employees on a salary package incorporating a novated-lease vehicle. Employees effectively funding a 'company car' out of their own pocket don't want an XT. They're after something a little more aspirational. Typically, that's one of the higher-grade Falcons, not the entry-level model.

That's also happening with government sales, says Burela. So, in tailoring a product range to appeal to private buyers, Ford has ironically found a formula to attract more fleet buyers as well -- they're just 'different' fleet buyers these days.
Its interesting that people are asking for them......

Previously:
2009 Ford Focus - "The Bubble Car"
2002 Ford Futura Wagon - "The Big White Wagon"
1996 Ford Falcon - "Ophelia"
1975 Jaguar XJ6 - "The Beast"
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 10:29 PM   #3
mad cow
blue oval addict

i have seen this first hand with my local council, all the new fords are g6 or xr6 falcons, and in a lot of different colors, all the work utes are xlt rangers or falcon 1 tonners. apparently the upgrading, it not only is more worthwhile for the employees, but its a lot better for resale as well.
mad cow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2009, 01:01 AM   #4
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Thumbs up

This is great news for Ford.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2009, 09:57 AM   #5
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's the only way to get people into Fords.
Get the rental companies back on board and what better way then by the request of customers.
This way the customer gets to try the product extensively.
"...remember that, even when those who move you be kings or men of power, your soul is in your keeping alone. When you stand before God you cannot say "but I was told by others to do thus" or that "virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice..."
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2009, 10:01 AM   #6
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Nice, but as mentioned in the article, it is hard enough to get Fiesta stock for the private buyer. Once they can get some decent stock then look into that market.
When is the Thailand supply coming online?
Old 16-07-2009, 07:39 PM   #7
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
Nice, but as mentioned in the article, it is hard enough to get Fiesta stock for the private buyer. Once they can get some decent stock then look into that market.
When is the Thailand supply coming online?
IIRC. About 12 months away.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2009, 07:50 PM   #8
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Box
Its interesting that people are asking for them......
I tried to rent a BF XR6 earlier in the year. Couldn't get one. Tried several places with no luck. I told each and everyone of the companies I wasn't interested in a 380/Aurion/Commodore.

Retrotech thread
Old 16-07-2009, 07:58 PM   #9
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we found this when we needed a rental car a few months back, they had the FG XR6, just came in they only had one, we asked about it and they said you're lucky to get it as its pretty much ALWAYS booked out, we needed it again the next week only to be told sorry it's been booked but here, have an aurion.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2009, 08:46 PM   #10
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

The good news keeps coming for Ford. Brilliant stuff!!!!
Old 16-07-2009, 09:39 PM   #11
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
I tried to rent a BF XR6 earlier in the year. Couldn't get one. Tried several places with no luck. I told each and everyone of the companies I wasn't interested in a 380/Aurion/Commodore.
Hertz have the BF XR6 and the FG XR6 in their fleet and have done so for sometime.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2009, 09:59 PM   #12
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss315
Noticed that it said from November to May. Which is as I understand it, when Ford signed a few big rental fleet contracts and also business fleets taking notice of the 9.9L/100km XT Falcon. Seems that impressive number attracted plenty of interest.

Retrotech thread
Old 16-07-2009, 10:01 PM   #13
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunter
Hertz have the BF XR6 and the FG XR6 in their fleet and have done so for sometime.
Hertz was one of the companies i rung. Only the XR6 was already booked out. Which was a BF. They didn't have any FG's at that time.

Retrotech thread
Old 17-07-2009, 02:10 PM   #14
GTENVY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
Hertz was one of the companies i rung. Only the XR6 was already booked out. Which was a BF. They didn't have any FG's at that time.
Plus one to that. Went back home to tas last year for acouple of weeks and do you think I could get one - not on your life, I had even booked it a month in advance!!

Live, Love, RACE

SOLD: AU III XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
cars are to be driven, ornaments are to be looked at. the two should never be confused.
GTENVY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post