Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 01:38 PM   #1
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT2 View Post
No matter what our govt does foreign tourists are not going to get on a plane with their fellow countrymen unless they can be confident of not getting infected on the trip. I would be interested in seeing the cost of a current travel insurance policy and what it will cover.
Foreign students are not going to come here either unless their parents feel they can travel and live here safely. Together these two sources of revenue account for a lot of our economy and there will not be a full recovery without them.
I still hold out hope that the rollout of a vaccine will put us into recovery in the latter part of next year. Two things are needed for that to happen; a massive effort to produce and distribute the shot and the scientists to get it right.
To be honest, if a vaccine was to come out any time soon I would be a little hesitant. I hate needles at the best of times, but I'll be thinking twice before allowing someone to jab me with something that has not stood the test of time. Yep, I'm probably being a little selfish there but everyone else can be my guinea pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse
It seems there is some magical thinking going on in this thread.

AKA the government response to the global pandemic is causing a rapid decline in the economy, rather than the pandemic is causing economic decline.

Therefore if we have no government response to the global pandemic there would be no economic decline, or if we have less government response we will have less economic decline.

Some wish it was that simple because it allows them to score political points.

Sweden! What about Sweden? It is true Sweden did not mandate a lock down. Swedish people still stayed home, economic activity declined and the economy still took a big hit. It was the pandemic that trashed Sweden’s economy not the government response.

There is no debating the world economy is in for a very rough time because of the Covid-19 pandemic. Attempting to lay the blame for the economic fall out on this government or that government will distract us from the huge challenge we need to face united. Remember the national cabinet at the start of this thing? That is how governments can work for the people that elected them, when they focus on us and not political point scoring for themselves. As has been said when this pandemic is over we will be feeling the economic repercussions for much longer.
Just to clear something up, I don't think it is all doom and gloom, but I do think that a lot of people are in for a tough time over the next few years, maybe even many more years.

Wait until next year, when people start to struggle. The opposition will be jumping all over what the current Government has done or not done and how their ideas, while not disclosing any of their ideas, would have been so much better.

Wait until Labour get into Government next (I'm not knocking Labour), even if it is in 10 years time. I reckon that I would be at unbackable odds if I was to bet that they will refer to the current Government policies dealing with this situation and that is why they can't keep one, or many, of their election promises.
4 users like this post:
Old 01-10-2020, 06:43 PM   #2
PhilT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
To be honest, if a vaccine was to come out any time soon I would be a little hesitant. I hate needles at the best of times, but I'll be thinking twice before allowing someone to jab me with something that has not stood the test of time.
The good news for those that hate jabs is that there are two alternatives under development; a nasal spray and an oral vaccine.
The bad news is these are in the early stages and are not the proven tech that the Oxford/Astrazeneca vaccine uses. This shot should start its approval process in Europe this week.
3 users like this post:
Old 02-10-2020, 01:48 AM   #3
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT2 View Post
The good news for those that hate jabs is that there are two alternatives under development; a nasal spray and an oral vaccine.
The bad news is these are in the early stages and are not the proven tech that the Oxford/Astrazeneca vaccine uses. This shot should start its approval process in Europe this week.
Hopefully they’ll also have a vaccine in suppository form.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:59 AM   #4
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

A fringe question, I’ve considered it independently and also (subsequently) seen similar in the media.

Will increased rates of “working from home” and other related activities, be likely to raise power demand in Australian capital cities to the point where some load shedding or brown-outs are likely?

I’m considering a small standalone solar power system, and this may be the tipping point.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:22 PM   #5
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
A fringe question, I’ve considered it independently and also (subsequently) seen similar in the media.

Will increased rates of “working from home” and other related activities, be likely to raise power demand in Australian capital cities to the point where some load shedding or brown-outs are likely?

I’m considering a small standalone solar power system, and this may be the tipping point.
Absolutely.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:09 PM   #6
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:

According to this report from AEMO, it won't cause power demand to rise.

https://aemo.com.au/en/newsroom/media-release/qed-q2
Old 02-10-2020, 03:03 PM   #7
Mr_G6ET
Ford G6ET FG MkII

Quote:

Depends on how cheap you can get a battery for I suggest.
There is talk of an overload of solar power due to the success of the rooftop rollout over recent years.
Too much solar, yeah I know right !

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-...rload/12608036

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-...in-sa/12202004
Old 02-10-2020, 10:00 PM   #8
George V
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

Overall power demand in NSW is down by around 5% not up according to reports.

Cheers,
George V
This user likes this post:
Old 01-10-2020, 08:30 PM   #9
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
To be honest, if a vaccine was to come out any time soon I would be a little hesitant. I hate needles at the best of times, but I'll be thinking twice before allowing someone to jab me with something that has not stood the test of time. Yep, I'm probably being a little selfish there but everyone else can be my guinea pig.

This can be said for all current vaccines that can have adverse effects on some people.
I'd take my chance with any vaccine in consultation with my treating physician.
By the way I also hate needles but must put up with them these days with my health issues.
Cheers
2 users like this post:
Closed Thread