Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-10-2020, 06:50 AM   #271
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Random pics, next

Love that pic of your Dad Charliewool, heres my ol boy at Muriwai Beach races, was timed at 107 mph. Really miss the smell of castor, Solos became a second level sport here in NZ when they replaced the cinders with clay at Western Springs.

Last edited by five 7; 24-10-2020 at 07:03 AM.
five 7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2020, 08:17 AM   #272
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
My old man also rode solos... First at Melbourne exhibition speedway and later at Maribyrnong’s Tracy’s speedway..
I remember a tale he told about a night at Melb. Ex. Speedway when the winners of the heats, then the semis, got to race Lionel Van Praag (the 1st Aussie world champ)
Dad was one of the 3 against Van Pragg.
Dad thought he got a great start, until Van pragg passed him in a shower of cinders on the first corner and disappeared into nowhere.. Lap 3, Van Pragg lapped the 3 of em, and went on to win by a lap and a half.. In a 4 LAP race!
Dad was riding a 4 stud JAP from memory after graduating from Rudges...
Random pic of dear old Dad (RIP mate!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We used to get Ole Olsen and Barry Briggs sometimes Ivan Mauger come to Western Springs in there off season, they used to do much the same as Van Pragg, gap the fast locals by a lap and a half, was cool to watch..
2 users like this post:
Old 25-10-2020, 04:08 PM   #273
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My daughter is a Marine Biologist working in Broome.
Out for a walk along the beach when she saw a couple of "locals" spear this Saw Fish, then left it.
So her and her boyfriend loaded it into the car and took it home, it's going to be frozen and sent to a university in Perth that is studying them.
What a crying shame, these are on the "vulnerable" list.
At least researches will be able to get something out of it, it's death wasn't completely in vain.
Old 29-10-2020, 03:30 PM   #274
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Been a little while since I've been out that way. There's been a heap of water in there for a few months now, but the recent rains have added some more, to the point that it has now covered the path in spots:

Not much change in the water level over the last two and a bit months. Maybe a little higher? Path is holding up pretty well given that it was only resurfaced a couple of weeks before the water came up, and has therefore been under water for at least 3 months now.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 29-10-2020, 05:17 PM   #275
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

A pic of my dad on his bike in Hungary in the late 40's early 50's?

Edit: Found another one

He's 90 now and lives across the road from us...

Last edited by Beastie; 29-10-2020 at 05:30 PM.
Beastie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2020, 07:50 PM   #276
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2020, 11:52 PM   #277
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Keeping in the vein of old bikes, here's my old man on a Harley 1975ish in Perth.
Old 03-11-2020, 02:30 PM   #278
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Stopping for lunch. Nice shady park, clean toilets - been crossing my legs since Juno Pde!

Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2020, 08:14 PM   #279
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Dinner break. Back in Sydney 2AM approx.

Coil pack is definitely flaky, it’s got me there but will it make the return trip?
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2020, 11:02 AM   #280
Electrolyte Burns

Ole Olsen and Barry Briggs sometimes Ivan Mauger
As a young lad I had all their autographs.
Electrolyte Burns is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-11-2020, 08:20 PM   #281
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

A random pic? They come randomly, every day

Old 09-11-2020, 03:05 PM   #282
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Great brekky, nice cars.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2020, 10:37 AM   #283
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

carrying on the bike theme my uncle had a great job in his retirement up in Nelson looking after a collection,bikes are all down in Invercargill these days.

Last edited by 98TLS; 10-11-2020 at 10:44 AM.
98TLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2020, 10:51 AM   #284
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Something a bit more random,parked outside the watering hole the other day had this lovely old Brougham pull up behind me,thing was in fantastic nick.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:04 PM   #285
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
My old man also rode solos... First at Melbourne exhibition speedway and later at Maribyrnong’s Tracy’s speedway..
I remember a tale he told about a night at Melb. Ex. Speedway when the winners of the heats, then the semis, got to race Lionel Van Praag (the 1st Aussie world champ)
Dad was one of the 3 against Van Pragg.
Dad thought he got a great start, until Van pragg passed him in a shower of cinders on the first corner and disappeared into nowhere.. Lap 3, Van Pragg lapped the 3 of em, and went on to win by a lap and a half.. In a 4 LAP race!
Dad was riding a 4 stud JAP from memory after graduating from Rudges...
Random pic of dear old Dad (RIP mate!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just wow you guys with the pics of your good ol Dads, great memories for youse to cherish and of the top Speedway days as mentioned.
My ol man was no rider as such buy an avid goer to the Sydney Showgrounds heydays for the company he worked for sponsered a bit, KLG spark plugs then Bars Leaks brand, he'd be handing over a trophy now and then from the infield.
He would drop us up to the members stand (never thought we were privildged, heck my brother and I were from 7-10yrs those days carrying on til the day it got closed :() but the greats were awesum to see as mentioned.
Ole as mentioned, what a fast rider, Ivan, well we all know what he did brilliant, our local Jim Airey gave the visiting riders a run for their money.
Billy !
The "Tests" back in those days imagine it now here.
Nigel Boocock, Peter Collins, Ove Fundin was another top rider, and Phil Crump from the memory banks.
Great great times when a young bloke, the dirt flying up smacking you in the face and bloody hurt ! the methanol fumes oh please give me more !
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-11-2020, 06:31 PM   #286
Loonar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A coupla of a little cactus that had never flowered in the several years we've had it and a nice bromeliad behind... ]
Loonar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2020, 09:12 PM   #287
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

4 users like this post:
Old 18-11-2020, 10:45 PM   #288
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98TLS View Post
carrying on the bike theme my uncle had a great job in his retirement up in Nelson looking after a collection,bikes are all down in Invercargill these days.
thats john brittens bike , i think about five only made. and its value is very expensive. john britten designed and hand built the entire bike, i have the video, cast his own engine block, heads , everything. made the wheels, fairings ect,ect.

and its was very competitive against the factory ducati team, joey dunlop test rode the bike at one time, it was going to race in the T.T., isles or man race.
then john died of cancer, it was such a tragedy .
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-11-2020, 09:07 AM   #289
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by five 7 View Post
how did my wifes 'friendly toy' end up there.
Old 21-11-2020, 07:41 PM   #290
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

3 users like this post:
Old 10-12-2020, 04:29 PM   #291
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Pilbara Mt Newman in the mid 80's.....actual accident but thankfully non-fatal.

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 10-12-2020, 04:36 PM   #292
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
Pilbara Mt Newman in the mid 80's.....actual accident but thankfully non-fatal.
Hey DJR, out of curiosity, how does an accident like that happen? I'm going to assume that it was the driver of the truck that ran over the car and not the driver of the car running into the path of the truck. f that assumption is reasonable, then would it be safe to say that the dump truck was reversing at the time of the incident? Or was the car parked at the front of the dump truck, and hence obscured vision played a part in it?

Working at a brown coal fired power station with our own open cut mine, I'm well aware of incidents where vehicles have been flattened by the dredgers (and stackers) relocating, but that is primarily because of a significant number of blind spots.

Just curious.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-12-2020, 05:03 PM   #293
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Are those cross-ply tyres?
marty351 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2020, 05:38 PM   #294
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hey DJR, out of curiosity, how does an accident like that happen? I'm going to assume that it was the driver of the truck that ran over the car and not the driver of the car running into the path of the truck. f that assumption is reasonable, then would it be safe to say that the dump truck was reversing at the time of the incident? Or was the car parked at the front of the dump truck, and hence obscured vision played a part in it?

Working at a brown coal fired power station with our own open cut mine, I'm well aware of incidents where vehicles have been flattened by the dredgers (and stackers) relocating, but that is primarily because of a significant number of blind spots.

Just curious.
believe it or not from what i saw back in them days it was usually the situation where the driver of the car/ute whatever has pulled up behind the dumpie where it cant be seen and goes talks to a near by operater ( usually the loader operator) dumpie is filled driver doesnt know car is there and backs up to leave , and there lies a crushed vehicle
they also didnt have the big see me flag antenas then eithet

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-12-2020, 05:48 PM   #295
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-12-2020, 05:50 PM   #296
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:

Just curious.
If i remember correctly the Holden Ute was parked across the front of the Lectra Haul truck with a Trades Assistant sitting in it, the Tradie (AC Mechanic) was up in the cab of the running truck with the operator checking on the AC unit when operator moved the truck forward.

Apparently they didn't know the Ute was parked in front of it as the TA had dropped the Tradie off at the front of the truck by the stairs then took of to fill the water bottles up from the ice machine down at the mess, when he came back he went to park in the shade of the truck, which happened to be in front of it.

When the truck moved forward it rolled the ute over before driving the front wheels on to and over it, they stopped before the rear wheels went all the way over it, if the rear wheels had gone over it the TA would have had more than a broken collarbone and forearm to worry about, they pulled him out of the passenger side of the ute and out under the right side of the truck.

In the picture they had already started to move the Ute around to pull it out, prior to this it was laying at about 45° to the truck with the right hand side of the Ute body just under the right hand rear truck wheels, it's the only photo i can find of it now.

The investigation went on for ages with a lot of conflicting statements that resulted in some serious **** kicking and another book full of procedures implemented lol

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 10-12-2020, 06:27 PM   #297
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

are drivers now required to always carry a change of underwear, but in that case that would have been the least of his worries.

Wonder if he stayed on working or found an easier way to make a living?
Old 10-12-2020, 06:45 PM   #298
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
are drivers now required to always carry a change of underwear, but in that case that would have been the least of his worries.

Wonder if he stayed on working or found an easier way to make a living?
He stayed on but ended up working in the warehouse, he's still there today...

2 users like this post:
Old 12-12-2020, 07:02 PM   #299
Loonar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've whacked this one in here, as well as The Pub section on old matey's voting poll, anyway, came across this today, worthy of a spot here!! ..Brand new, Black and White Cabs, Toowoomba..

Loonar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2020, 08:09 AM   #300
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
If i remember correctly the Holden Ute was parked across the front of the Lectra Haul truck with a Trades Assistant sitting in it, the Tradie (AC Mechanic) was up in the cab of the running truck with the operator checking on the AC unit when operator moved the truck forward.

l
Interesting picture of that crushed ute, I can recognize the shape of the HQ looking bonnet on that Holden but I've never seen a bash guard under the engine before on one. Certainly not a factory option.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post