Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-10-2020, 10:53 AM   #181
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 
Default Re: NBN so far, whats your experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Not sure if I read that right, but we've got FTTC and a 50Mb plan.
I haven't followed along too closely with the new improved NBN but I think what they are proposing is to extend the FTTN network from the node to the curb. If you want better performance then you will need to pay for the fibre from the curb to a NTD in your house. And that is only suitable for > 100mbs plans.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:45 AM   #182
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not sure if I read that right, but we've got FTTC and a 50Mb plan.
NBNco are going to be offering FTTC upgrades to existing FTTN users, but only if they will sign up to a top-tier plan.

If you're currently one of the many <25Mb users and you want 50Mb, no dice.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-10-2020, 12:00 PM   #183
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

One thing I did find strange was a friend who lives about 2km from me, has both in his street.

His side of the road is FTTN, the other side of the road is FTTC
Old 01-10-2020, 12:40 PM   #184
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
One thing I did find strange was a friend who lives about 2km from me, has both in his street.

im 19k from perth cbd
i have fibre at my curb
across the road is fttc and most of my suburb is to
but i have to have fttn and im in the middle of 3 nodes all which travel my copper past other fttc premises , go figure
and us on the fttn is at max a 1k x 1/2k block all surrounded by fttc
we were also informed at its installation that we all would get the fttc but our section got reeled back just prier to completion and they wanted us to pay the 300 consult fee each just to see if it was worth proceeding at our cost
good ol malcom

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!

Last edited by wodahs; 01-10-2020 at 12:57 PM.
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2020, 01:06 PM   #185
Mr_G6ET
Ford G6ET FG MkII

Quote:

That is strange, more dollars wasted. The Lib's should never have introduced the lower speed (FTTN/FTTC) connections.

We had a storm here a few months ago and an electrical interference fried the 'box' at the curb.
Complained to iiNet, they in error thought I was talking about the modem, they sent me a new one. The tech they sent around gave me a new NBN modem as a first troubleshooting move, then when that didnt work, he went to the curb.. that was the issue.
Free modem

In the ~ 6 + years I have had NBN, it has been reliable
Mr_G6ET is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2020, 01:23 PM   #186
Mr_G6ET
Ford G6ET FG MkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
im 19k from perth cbd
i have fibre at my curb
across the road is fttc and most of my suburb is to
but i have to have fttn and im in the middle of 3 nodes all which travel my copper past other fttc premises , go figure
and us on the fttn is at max a 1k x 1/2k block all surrounded by fttc
we were also informed at its installation that we all would get the fttc but our section got reeled back just prier to completion and they wanted us to pay the 300 consult fee each just to see if it was worth proceeding at our cost
good ol malcom
That is unreal, what a waste of money. I did think they were done with FTTN.
More complaints required, maybe a flyer drop in the area.

Maybe because the techs don't feel safe working near Thornlie ?
Old 01-10-2020, 04:55 PM   #187
shobotan
Starter Motor

Another here who would be happy to go back to the cable broadband instead of the NBN. HFC connection, speed about the same as the cable but a lot more dropouts since connection to the NBN for the last 18 months.
Hopefully 5G will be the saving grace but that looks to be years off in my area.
shobotan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2020, 10:22 PM   #188
FORTY

Still waiting for the NBN. Next year they reckon. It’s the wireless sort, you know - no trees in the direct line of sight, best not to have a tin roof. Just what we need for rural areas.
LPG 325K written off
FORTY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2020, 11:54 PM   #189
Mr_G6ET
Ford G6ET FG MkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTY View Post
Still waiting for the NBN. Next year they reckon. It’s the wireless sort, you know - no trees in the direct line of sight, best not to have a tin roof. Just what we need for rural areas.
if Cranbourne is your real position, I am ****ing amazed to be blunt. How do those idiots design this, how so close to main city and no go . wtf

Last edited by Mr_G6ET; 11-10-2020 at 11:56 PM. Reason: g, h , h
Old 12-10-2020, 12:07 AM   #190
Mr_G6ET
Ford G6ET FG MkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by shobotan View Post
Another here who would be happy to go back to the cable broadband instead of the NBN. HFC connection, speed about the same as the cable but a lot more dropouts since connection to the NBN for the last 18 months.
Hopefully 5G will be the saving grace but that looks to be years off in my area.
I don't think wireless will replace fibre, cable etc. in the next (2-5) years, if ever. Suggest get the fibre and then let the politics catch up.
The telcos have a high price on wireless data, physical connections allow streaming, endless data.
Think about 20 devices in the house having connectivity, a few only years from now
Old 12-10-2020, 09:33 AM   #191
FORTY

7kms from Cranbourne in a green wedge. The ADSL dribbles out of the pipe.
LPG 325K written off
Old 15-02-2021, 08:30 PM   #192
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Just received today an email from the Big T; copper service and ADSL prolonged indefinitely due to “equipment supply” problems. I suspect simply HFC infrastructure is not up to the exploding demand in my area and the input of some local people well versed in what is actually possible (telling them it can’t fly).
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2021, 10:08 PM   #193
FORTY

Well its Devon Meadows and finally they are erecting a wireless tower at the local footy ground for the NBN. On the roll out map this is the only spot left blank.
The NBN experts have stated that metal roofs are not good for the wireless signal, also they need a direct line of sight so no trees.
I have a colour bond roof and trees that the local council defends with their life.
This build was promised years ago. So I'm excited
LPG 325K written off
Old 15-02-2021, 10:25 PM   #194
FORTY

Just for the record - Ping 22ms, 12MPS download, 0.72MPS upload on a Telstra $105 plan. NBN has to be better.
LPG 325K written off
Old 16-02-2021, 01:41 AM   #195
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Had our work lines switched over last week. They turned up when neither of the managers were there, and the secretary had no idea what they were talking about, so they went ahead and disconnected our phones. Only to find that the phones on our incoming line will not work on NBN.

So our main advertised business number was just left with no phones connected, and they shrugged and walked away.
Every night the numbers get diverted to the managers' mobiles, but the secretary didn't think of doing that while the lines were being changed over.

I called at 12.30pm to get the number diverted, was told it would take between 15 mins and 5 hours to work. When I tried our number at 6pm, it just rang out, not to my mobile. So I had to call and complain again to get it done.

Already had customers tell us they were calling to book and no one answered. Plus, until the phones arrive that can connect, the number has to stay diverted to my mobile, and I'm getting all the stupid scam calls too.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2021, 09:52 AM   #196
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Who needs nbn. We're still on adsl. How much better could nbn be? Sometimes we get speeds of 0.1mps. Yes thats right. My emails come in in "b". Sometimes you can't even do a speed test.
ute83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2021, 06:52 PM   #197
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

my nbn in haberfield sydney, 110mbps down load and 20 upload, tpg 100 plan

our old adsl ran at 2mbps
Giant Cranium is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2021, 11:06 PM   #198
zilo
BANNED

NBN fixed wireless with Telstra on 50mbps plan.
Been installed for 18 months.

Initially great 52mbps downloads and 24 mbps uploads.

THEN....December 2020...they reduced the upload speeds to......5mbps !!!

That is crap...I am on a 2yr contract I said.

No amount of complaining...even an Ombudsman intervention...nope...more space needed to sign up more people and downloads for netflix etc are priority.

End result...I get a $30 a month credit...forever...or until uploads are back to as before.

At the end of the day someone has to upload...its not all about downloads.

Having said all that even after re-transmitting my service on a private 5gz link to an offshore island I still get 18ms ping to Telstra Hobart, if only they fixed the upload speeds....
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2021, 11:52 PM   #199
.:4:.
Kicking back

I get better results on 5g on my phone.
The nbn is a good idea, it should work. But its a poorly executed project. Its all independent contractors and a lot are inexperienced so there are more mistakes made then there should be.
A few years back when i eventually went for a telco ticket. At the start of the course everyone had to stand up, say their name, experience, and why they were there. Out of 18 people, 1 bloke said he works in back to base security systems. I said ive been doing it for a decade. The rest said no prior experience but wanted to work on the nbn (a few said bro after that statement). And the course itself excluded old school 200 pairs which you do come across, pin strips and a lot of un fibre related stuff you probably should know. Me and security guy had our own tools, and we both aced the prac and knowledge tests. But the final exam was in groups of 3. I said to security guy, we aren't teaming up. It was a simple 200 pair on a profile rack of disconnect modules. 2 of the non english speaking good blokes asked if I'd team up with them. I did. I supervised. We were the only team to get 100%. And come tear down time, we were told to leave it as an example for the next lot doing the course. It wasnt myself kicking back, it was nah nah nah, watch me then you try. Then it was do it again, do it again, do a backflip.. So it was 10% me, 90% those guys. And honestly i think that was probably the most they learnt in that course. Its like having a drivers licence, that doesnt mean you are any good at driving. But if dick johnson gave you driving lessons, you'd probably be a bit better at it.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-02-2021, 08:38 AM   #200
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i cant get a good stable nbn service and am still on copper to the node in a perth verb
and telstra hand out 77 mil bonuses for a job we done , gotta love the cash splash mentality

job well done fellers ya save money cutting corners to be able to give ya selfs more cash

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
Old 18-02-2021, 09:03 AM   #201
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

seems fairly good here,but far from perfect.Copper to the node (300mtrs).Today Down 48.Up 13.Ping is higher than most times at 22,usually around 10-12
Tassie f100 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2021, 09:17 AM   #202
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers View Post
Had our work lines switched over last week. …Already had customers tell us they were calling to book and no one answered. Plus, until the phones arrive that can connect, the number has to stay diverted to my mobile, and I'm getting all the stupid scam calls too.
Appalling but not surprising. The way all the changeover tasks have been pigeonholed and broken down, it’s likely a common tale.
Old 18-02-2021, 09:47 AM   #203
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
i cant get a good stable nbn service and am still on copper to the node in a perth verb
and telstra hand out 77 mil bonuses for a job we done , gotta love the cash splash mentality

job well done fellers ya save money cutting corners to be able to give ya selfs more cash
The problem is probably in your NBN service, not necessarily the provider like Telstra. However you need to report issues though your service provider and it looks like this is where you are having issues.

With that being said, I think you have two options
1: Raise a complaint with the TIO. That will get you more attention
2: Switch to a smaller, more agile provider like TPG or Aussie BB. They will probably do a lot better with handling your complaints.

Just my 2 cents
Old 18-02-2021, 10:28 AM   #204
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We are using Telstra provider.Service is very good,rang to report a problem Sat morning a few months ago,4pm Sat Telstra van stops at front gate and proceeds to fix the problem in 15 mins.Most problems around here are caused by NBN “technicians” who don’t seem to care whose line they cut to get service to a new customer.
Tassie f100 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2021, 12:32 PM   #205
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
The problem is probably in your NBN service, not necessarily the provider like Telstra. However you need to report issues though your service provider and it looks like this is where you are having issues.

With that being said, I think you have two options
1: Raise a complaint with the TIO. That will get you more attention
2: Switch to a smaller, more agile provider like TPG or Aussie BB. They will probably do a lot better with handling your complaints.

Just my 2 cents
i am with aussie , nbn state the isues arnt enough and in their justifable range
i have fiber at my curb im not allowed , instead i have to utilise the node set up at which im in the middle of three all about 1.5 k from me , and past housing that utilise fiber to their curb set ups
nbnco will look in to the posibility of upgrading me at my expence if i pay the 300 compatability cost for them to look in to it , and i was originally slated (at roll out) for min fiber to the curb tech but was rolled back due to turnbuls "its enough cant justify the extra expence" program

now waitng for 5g internet to arive in my area hoping to inprove things
g
my good speeds vary from 14 to 25 down 1 to 4 up and ping is always bad
have had the node chaged twice and the line conected to also changed twice (at different times)

Old 21-02-2021, 04:07 PM   #206
MercuryT
Banned

Would you believe out of all places my little outskirts Hobart suburb was first to get NBN in ALL OF AUSTRALIA!!

Sure it was a complete nightmare as no-one installing had a clue what they were doing, but still......ha
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2021, 10:10 AM   #207
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Does anyone else keep having issues with their NBN box? We've been connected to the NBN for about 6 months and every 2 months or so the NBN box dies. We haven't had any storms or anything but it is just sitting there clicking away and not connecting.

Any ideas? It's FTTC.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2021, 12:22 PM   #208
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
Does anyone else keep having issues with their NBN box? We've been connected to the NBN for about 6 months and every 2 months or so the NBN box dies. We haven't had any storms or anything but it is just sitting there clicking away and not connecting.

Any ideas? It's FTTC.
What Box? We're FTTC as well and all we have is the usual (original) phone line to the power pole and modem inside.
Old 14-03-2021, 12:32 PM   #209
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Isn’t that HFC?
Old 14-03-2021, 12:39 PM   #210
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Isn’t that HFC?
As Manuel would say, Qué ?