Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 30-10-2013, 05:23 AM   #1
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 
Default 2012 Focus Brake Pad Replacment

On our 2012 Focus Sport 30,000 service it was noticed the pads wouldn’t last another 10,000 klm’s, I wasn’t going for the factory pads as they are very soft and the mess they make on the rims is like nothing I have seen on any car before, cleaning the brake dust of the wheels takes as long as cleaning the rest of the car.
I contacted race brakes Sydney and after a quick discussion with Matt he sent me a set of brembo pads, brembo now make pads for most makes and models.
Pads were fitted after the discs were machined approx 8 weeks ago, pads work well not as soft as factory pads therefore don’t bite as hard; my wife notices no difference in pedal feel and they are quiet, the brake dust is minimal which is a relief.
Next service I will measure the discs see how they are traveling, after 30,000 klm’s and machined they were in spec by only 1mm.
Brembo pads can be purchased through our site sponsor Race Brakes Sydney, offer an excellent overnight postal service, these are a pad worth considering as a replacement.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2013, 07:36 AM   #2
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 
Default Re: 2012 Focus Brake Pad Replacment

Thanks for the tip about the Brembo brakes. I didn't realise that they are now making replacement discs and pads for most cars now.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2013, 08:07 AM   #3
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Must be a similar pad material to the ST. My wheels are filhty after a few days. Be interested in some feed back as time goes by.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #4
rand0mn00b

LT focus was the same - pads and rotors wore out at almost the same rate

have been using QFM HPX pads happily with RDA blank rotors and have been more than happy with the stopping power - better and more progressive - and absence of brake dust. good prices to boot!
rand0mn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #5
Rocksprint
Starter Motor

Hi I have a 2011 tread with worn pads I was just going to put a set of factory pads straight on till next time and then replace all parts. Is this ok with these cars?
Rocksprint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #6
SpoolMan

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocksprint View Post
Hi I have a 2011 tread with worn pads I was just going to put a set of factory pads straight on till next time and then replace all parts. Is this ok with these cars?
Speak Matt race brakes Sydney, he will have all the info required or you can PM user FLOORED.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/forumdi...ysprune=&f=174

Old 20-11-2013, 08:41 PM   #7
Rocksprint
Starter Motor

Thanks I'll give them a call Anyone else around Melbourne that can help
Old 20-11-2013, 08:59 PM   #8
747jet
2 4 turning 2 4 burning

Go the EBC black pads work as well as oem. More brake dust means better braking. Pads the have no dust it's like haveing blocks of wood as brake pads. Car won't pull up.
Old 20-11-2013, 09:42 PM   #9
Rocksprint
Starter Motor

Yeah thanks mate just after replacement pads and want to know if rotors will be ok as money tree isn't growing atm lol
Old 21-11-2013, 08:48 AM   #10
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Factory rotors usually wear out quickly as they are softer than the aftermarket replacements. On European cars you nearly always change pads and rotors at the same time.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2013, 06:23 PM   #11
rand0mn00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747jet View Post
More brake dust means better braking. Pads the have no dust it's like haveing blocks of wood as brake pads. Car won't pull up.
Uh... I think it's a bit more complicated than just more dust = more stopping power.

There are different compounds and technologies that are used by brake pad manufacturers. Not to mention that the type of rotor will also influence how much dust/wear you get.

For example, the stock Focus pads are dusty as all heck but the QFM HPX pads I replaced them with stop better, have less dust and are lasting longer
rand0mn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-11-2013, 07:25 AM   #12
Rocksprint
Starter Motor

Your right mate now a days there's so many technical things that they use to create

I'm steering to oem pads for now (or bendex) and once they wear or into the new yr change rotors/pads then
Old 16-05-2014, 09:38 PM   #13
Nolz

Because I like to dig up old threads....

I too am in the hunt for new pads and rotors for my LW Diesel. Had my 30k service a couple months back and it was noted that rotors and pads would be due in about 5000km's.

I have QFM HPX pads and T2 DBA rotors on my XT forester and they are working very well so I'll probably do the same for my focus. Especially as it was mentioned here that the QFM pads work well with our focii.

...and also because any aftermarket replacement will be cheaper than the $800 or so quoted by ford for the pleasure.
Nolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2014, 11:43 PM   #14
pajoda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was enquiring about ST rotor and pad replacement, alas, nothing in country, DBA might look at making rotors at the end of this year, forced yet again to import
Old 17-05-2014, 08:09 AM   #15
SpoolMan

Give Matt at Race Brakes Sydney a call, they solutions for various budgets and applications.
Send a PM to user Floored.

Old 17-05-2014, 09:54 AM   #16
pajoda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks Spoolman, can't recall if I rang them but know I did look at their website, too late for me as I have ordered but might help others and it might flag some local interest.
Old 19-07-2014, 08:26 PM   #17
Nolz

I ended up with a set of DBA T2's and HPX pads. I highly recommend this combo. I first fitted the same to my 2010 XT Forester and it's been fantastic as a daily.

On my '11 Diesel Sport it's been just as impressive and more than happy to to take a good amount of abuse. oh, the best part. BARELY ANY DUST!!!! Any LW owners will appreciate this to no end!
Old 21-07-2014, 02:00 PM   #18
dan-

i am up to 38,000 on my LW trend and the front pads are done for. what a joke! i got 80,000km out of the last set of pads on my peugeot.
dan- is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2014, 05:04 PM   #19
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

probably find the disc rotators need replacing as well common issue on fords. good midea to use after market ones as they are not as soft
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2014, 09:25 PM   #20
SpoolMan

Ours were in spec and managed to get a machining out of them after 30,000.

Old 22-07-2014, 12:24 PM   #21
Nolz

No warping or any braking issues with mine. Just that both pads and rotors were on their way out. Got 36K Km's out of mind could have pushed a little more but wasn't going to risk it.
Old 22-07-2014, 12:41 PM   #22
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I'm up to nearly 80,000km on the Focus and still have my OEM pads at about 50%?

Mines a manual LV though.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2014, 08:04 PM   #23
pajoda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Still have two sets of Hawk HPS front pads for LW Focus amongst others to give away, been trying to give them away for ages now
Old 09-02-2020, 03:21 PM   #24
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Any recommendations on rear brake pads?
I bought Motorcraft MEAV6J-2M008-AA last time for $30 for the rear.

Are the Bosch DB1763BL a suitable replacement?
I mostly do freeway driving and am the kind of person who usually coasts to a stop.

I have Ford FO-MEAV6J 2K021 AA $35.64 fitted to the front and I get quite a bit of brake dust and wondering what's a good alternative if I want to avoid brake dust.

Given this thread is quite old I'm asking just in case the previously mentioned options are dated.
stefcio007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2020, 09:24 PM   #25
gumby123
LW Focus TDCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefcio007 View Post
Any recommendations on rear brake pads?
I bought Motorcraft MEAV6J-2M008-AA last time for $30 for the rear.

Are the Bosch DB1763BL a suitable replacement?
I mostly do freeway driving and am the kind of person who usually coasts to a stop.

I have Ford FO-MEAV6J 2K021 AA $35.64 fitted to the front and I get quite a bit of brake dust and wondering what's a good alternative if I want to avoid brake dust.

Given this thread is quite old I'm asking just in case the previously mentioned options are dated.

I agree with what you point out about the Ford pads, in that they are dusty.

I previously replaced mine with Bendix General CT (ceramic). These are super clean, long wearing, & easy on the disks. But some of the initial bite, has been lost.
gumby123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2022, 07:36 PM   #26
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I ended up going with Bendix Euro+ for both the front and rear.
The front pads are very thick, will probably last longer than the car, lol.
They were quite difficult to install compared to the OEM, the metal looking fins that stick out are wider.

Much less brake dust than before and it's not red and looking like I drove through the outback. Generally happy and price seemed reasonable.

I went with Bosch rotors for the front and Repco for the rear as it was a 9 month wait for the rear Bosch rotors...original OEM rotors lasted more than 100k.
stefcio007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2022, 08:03 PM   #27
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I'm up to nearly 80,000km on the Focus and still have my OEM pads at about 50%?

Mines a manual LV though.
I replaced the original OEM pads and rotors last year at 223,000km lol
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post