Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-06-2014, 11:40 AM   #31
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: I wish I'd been born 30 years earlier

Has anyone actually looked at the science...and the facts?? Carry on believing scare-mongering Today Tonight-style rubbish if you want.... but the future isn't as bleak as it seems. Some of you really need to read some reputable scientific and medical literature!!

-Research suggests that the global population will continue to rise and increase to over 11 billion by the end of the century. After this it will stabilise. People all over the world, including in developing countries, are having on average 2 children per 2 adults and it will take several generations for this to be reflected in the population.

-Despite this massive population increase people are actually healthier and living longer than they have ever been. In the early years of the 20th century (before "dangerous" food preservatives, pesticides and GMOs) most people died before their 60th birthday. Infant and child mortality was sadly very common (1 in 5 children died before their 5th birthday).

-People have been genetically modifying food for thousands of years...through careful cultivation and cross-pollination. The CSIRO have been doing it in their greenhouses for decades. Most of the vegetables we have been eating for centuries (broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, cabbages etc) wouldn't exist if it wasn't for genetic modification. GMOs will allow us to more easily feed those 11 billion people looming ahead in the years to come.

We live in an open society now where all people are free to be who and what they want to be. We know more than we have ever known about our world and our bodies. We have a better quality of life than any of our ancestors could have ever comprehended. Sorry but I don't wish for the "good" old days.
Old 13-06-2014, 12:54 AM   #32
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmmm i dunno Ford-The-Win, i really liked the 60s and 70s, as for living longer because we have it so good, that is subjective imo,
but i will concede the drugs and hospitals are better these days, without which i suspect we would be dropping like flys probably faster than the old days................

in any event, if and when we do hit the magic over populated number, i think the earths population will self regulate, we will run short of food and die off or have a world war over food or resources, religion, or real estate or some old codger geriatric country leader/dictator will hit a red button and say "what does this button do" the population counter will be reset somewhat.
If nothing else Humans in their traits are fairly predictable, we call ourselves civilized in the computer age, with probably millions of homeless/starving in various parts of the globe, yet lots of country's still spending millions, billions, even trillions on militaria,
the gadgets change , but humans are really still the same, and that imo is just the way it is and we might as well just make the best of it.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2014, 01:39 AM   #33
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Umm no, "Living Longer" is a COMPLETELY misunderstood concept.

Somebody born in 1940 who dies this year aged 74, HAS lived longer than somebody who has born in 1920 and died in 1993.

That tells you NOTHING about somebody born in 1950 or later. So to infer that somebody who is born today will "live longer" is just plain stupid.

The only thing you can look at is general adult health.
With the advent of antibiotics, other medications, improvements in industrial HSE, smaller wars, there's no doubt adult male health improved over the last century. What direction is it going now?
Cancer, and auto-immune diseases are on the rise, dietary related problems are going to get worse with the garbage we're eating. Our air and water are becoming more and more contaminated, we're exposed to increasing levels and new types of radiation.
30 years ago my job would have seen me spend 50% of my time in the field, and the rest working with pencils, and at worst a telephone. Now I spend 90% of my time sitting on my **** staring at a commuter screen.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-06-2014, 01:17 PM   #34
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Umm no, "Living Longer" is a COMPLETELY misunderstood concept.

Somebody born in 1940 who dies this year aged 74, HAS lived longer than somebody who has born in 1920 and died in 1993.
That would be because they would only be 72, maybe 73?
ford71V8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2014, 02:00 PM   #35
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

30 years earlier for me would be before penicillin !
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-06-2014, 07:25 PM   #36
Nova 8

There is no point pining for the past or lusting for the future, enjoy the present as its a wonderful time.

Beside I couldn't go without the brilliance of the internet, so much knowledge and entertainment literally in my pocket.
Old 15-06-2014, 07:34 PM   #37
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Move south of the river then,i own a house with a big yard and a great shed(well the bank owns alot of it lol),im glad i wasnt born 30 years ago because id most likely be dead now
If you want to live in gated communities then expect to live in your neighbours pocket and not have a shed or a yard, haha sucker!
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post