Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-07-2009, 11:16 AM   #1
ianp

Default Buying QLD vehicle, transfer to ACT, seller wants to keep plates

Hi people

Looking at buying a QLD registered vehicle which I will drive back to Canberra and register here in ACT.

The issues are:

A. Seller wants to keep plates to reuse in the future (old black and white plates that include car model).
B. As I will be flying up and driving back, I need the car to be registered.
C. The car and seller are no longer in QLD, they are about 4 hours south of the Border now.

So easy option for me would be for the owner to transfer current rego with nice plates to me and I'll get it re-registered in ACT. Problem is I'm pretty sure ACT motor vehicle registry will take the plates. Alternatively, even if i can get away with keeping the old plates and sending them back to the seller he may not be able to use them in future - they are not personalised plates, so not sure they can be transfered other than on a vehicle.

If the seller were to re-register the vehicle in QLD can he then keep his special plates for another car in the future? Can he re-register with new plates without making am eight hour return trip to QLD?

If the seller were to register the car in NSW can he keep his QLD plates to use on another vehicle in the future?

So much time is wasted with interstate licencing issues. Thanks in advance for input/advice/expericences.

Ian

ianp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2009, 11:20 AM   #2
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

A permit will get you back home, call your states RTA and talk to them about it.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2009, 11:27 AM   #3
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Had the same issue with my SA personal plates that I wanted to keep. In the end I had to transfer the car back to it's original SA rego plates that were on it when I bought it in SA (cost about $25 with SA rego dept.) then hand the originals in to NSW RTA when I transferred to NSW rego. I got to keep my SA personal plates and have 5 years to use them before they go back into the pool, but that's SA, I don't know what the go would be for QLD.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2009, 01:26 PM   #4
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

when i was selling my car, i took the PPQ's off it and put normal QLD plates on it, new seller no matter what state could do what he did with it then, obviously the seller of your car isnt planning this very well...
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2009, 01:43 PM   #5
xygt01
XY GT (ROD)

easest way would be to let him have them now seems you need to re reg it when you get to your state and just get a permit from your rta to drive it home
xygt01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2009, 01:46 PM   #6
Eu-GenixX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if they aren't personalised plates.. i don't think qld transport will let him keep them... he will have to hand them in and purchase them thru ppq i assume... if possible.. but i don't know for sure...
Eu-GenixX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2009, 01:51 PM   #7
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Not sure of his plates and his ability to reuse them, that is for him to find out. For you though, he can remove the plates and apply for a tempory unregistered vehicle permit through Queensland Dept of Transport. This allow you to drive the car back and re register it through ACT, that is what we did when we sold the GT to somone in Vic. Cost was about $60 (I think) and it covers you for CTP. Hope this helps.
Old 28-07-2009, 01:59 PM   #8
XYGTReplica

Have a read through the frequently asked questions here:

http://www.ppq.com.au/thehubfaq.aspx

Cheers
John
XYGTReplica is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2009, 02:19 PM   #9
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

My boss has a XC with Standard QLD paltes that match the car and Engine size (Old school White on Black ones, similar to ones mentioned i think), QT have advised him he is only allowed to put them on that vehicle, unless he wants to hand them in and pay the $415 or whatever it is to get them as a PPQ, so he probably cant sue them again unless he does this.
Old 28-07-2009, 02:27 PM   #10
Eu-GenixX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^ yeah... thats what my thoughts were..
Eu-GenixX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2009, 02:40 PM   #11
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good luck get an unregoed permit to go from QLD, through NSW and into the ACT.
You will need to get three different permits.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2009, 02:53 PM   #12
ianp

Thanks guys.

Not looking forward to the prospect of driving 800k's on permit with no plates, probably get pulled over every hour. Would need ACT permit as well as NSW.

How would M2/7 Sydney Westlink work with no E-pass and no plates?

In 1997 I drove Melbourne to Sth Coast NSW on a VIC RWC with no plates. RWC stated that it was okay to drive from place of purchase to home, didn't mater that home was 700k's away. Cops pulled me over a few times, looked at the RWC and let me continue.

Another option might be for the seller to drive up to Coolangatta and get a new set of plates. I could fly in there more easily than Coffs and give him a lift back as I'd be heading back that way anyway.

As stated keeping the old plates is his problem but you've all given me some more understanding of the possible scenarios.
Old 28-07-2009, 03:07 PM   #13
ianp

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYGTReplica
Have a read through the frequently asked questions here:

http://www.ppq.com.au/thehubfaq.aspx

Cheers
John
thanks. Seems the plates are probably 'retro' plates ...

"What are the terms and conditions for the Retro (Customised) plates?

Retro plates can only be attached to a vehicle registered in the same name as the owner of the plates. If there is a secondary owner, then the names must also be in the same order as those on the vehicle registration. The plates cannot be sold and the ownership of the plates cannot be transferred to another person, however the plates can be transferred to another vehicle registered to the original owner of the plates. If the vehicle is transferred to a new owner, the plates must be retained by the original owner and standard issue plates attached to the vehicle. Retro/Customised plates can also be upgraded to personalised plates, thereby allowing the owner to sell, transfer or colourise them for a fee. "

So it is either seller de-register the car and I drive on permits or seller re-plate the car with standard plates.
Old 28-07-2009, 04:23 PM   #14
BFZ Wagon
Formerly All Wheel Drive

There is a way of being able to keep the standard or black & white plates that are currently on a car and transfer them to another one. The seller needs to go to Qld Transport and get new plates for the vehicle he's selling. Apparently you can keep standard plates (especially the old black & white ones) but they become classified as 'customised/retro' plates.

A friend of mine has had their standard green QLD plates on 3 different cars in the past 8 years. So it can be done.
If you can get plates left on the car when you buy it, it will be easier for you to drive down to ACT. Otherwise you're looking at a permit like the others have said. But you only have to have a QLD unregistered vehicle permit to travel through NSW/ACT (as QLD has reciprocal arrangements with the other states/territories). But, you also have to purchase CTP insurance as well.

Sounds like more of an annoying & more expensive way to do it rather than having plates on the car. As long as the car has current paid rego & plates on it, I think that's all that really matters.

Hope that info helps.
Old 28-07-2009, 04:31 PM   #15
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

If i were you i would jsut ask the seller if you could drive it home and mail back the plates, will make life SO much easier, i had a mate do that with a VS HSV GTS-R that had the QLD PPQ's GTSR 11 on them, and the guy bought the car in QLD drove it back to Perth, and mailed the plates back to him.

Just make sure youve signed a invoice that the sale date was a particular date so that any speed fines etc that you get on his plates can be sent to you jsut so he feels a little better about it
Old 28-07-2009, 06:40 PM   #16
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

I bought a BA ute from a auction house in QLD in April this year.
The auction house kindly left the plates on the ute for me and I posted them back up when I got back to Melbourne.
They made me sign a waiver stating that any infringements incurred would be covered by me, which I thought was fair, and that i would post the plates back as soon as practical.
Old 28-07-2009, 08:04 PM   #17
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Good luck get an unregoed permit to go from QLD, through NSW and into the ACT.
You will need to get three different permits.
No you don't, QLD permit allows you to drive it to a new state and rego there. That was the advice the buyer of my GT got from Vic and I got the same advice from QLD.

This method was the only way advised by QLD Dept of Transport, they advised against allowing the car to cross over on QLD plates.
Old 28-07-2009, 08:12 PM   #18
xr6turbo2005
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eu-GenixX
if they aren't personalised plates.. i don't think qld transport will let him keep them... he will have to hand them in and purchase them thru ppq i assume... if possible.. but i don't know for sure...
thats what i would have thought too. If they were personalised plates, easy fix, apply for replacement plates.

2008 FPV GT - Auto, Seduce Red, Leather Interior, Herrod Performance Air Box with K&N Pod Filter.

2018 4WD Everest Trend - Blue Reflex.
xr6turbo2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2009, 08:26 PM   #19
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Keeping plates

Just another thing the plates sound like "retro" plates either starting with the letter "N","O" or "P" as in the ones I applied for "NCI994 for the old Fairlane
any way you are not alowed to sell a car in QLD with rego unless you have a Safety certificate(RWC) you have to hand the plates in and sell it unregistered
not sure about the ownership of retro plates but personal plates are owned for ever or until sold to someone like the ones I had on my old Valiant 63APS the "S" is supposed to be a five
thanks John

Last edited by last fairlane; 28-07-2009 at 08:28 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2009, 11:35 PM   #20
BlueOvalPrint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianp
Not looking forward to the prospect of driving 800k's on permit with no plates, probably get pulled over every hour. Would need ACT permit as well as NSW.

Drove my new G6Et from Melboring to Canberra a few weeks ago, no plates just a VicRoads permit on the dash, kept around the speed limit (mostly), passed 5 cop cars and God knows how many revenue cameras, no hassles at all.

FAST!!! :
BlueOvalPrint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2009, 11:41 PM   #21
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueOvalPrint
Drove my new G6Et from Melboring to Canberra a few weeks ago, no plates just a VicRoads permit on the dash, kept around the speed limit (mostly), passed 5 cop cars and God knows how many revenue cameras, no hassles at all.

FAST!!! :
Until the road block at the end with lots of red/blue disco lights.
Old 29-07-2009, 12:06 AM   #22
HP-0351
1409hp 1190lb.ft 18psi...

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
No you don't, QLD permit allows you to drive it to a new state and rego there. That was the advice the buyer of my GT got from Vic and I got the same advice from QLD.

This method was the only way advised by QLD Dept of Transport, they advised against allowing the car to cross over on QLD plates.
I recently did the same thing when buying a Falcon in Qld. Filled in the permit form, put greenslip insurance on the car, went to the QLD RTA to hand plates in with seller, got the permit issued then drove the car home from Brisbane to Sydney with any problems at all and we didnt even get pulled over once!

The Daily 2003 BA GT Falcon http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11367185

The Weekender: 1971 Twin Turbo XY Falcon
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....=twin+turbo+xy
HP-0351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2009, 08:07 AM   #23
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP-0351
I recently did the same thing when buying a Falcon in Qld. Filled in the permit form, put greenslip insurance on the car, went to the QLD RTA to hand plates in with seller, got the permit issued then drove the car home from Brisbane to Sydney with any problems at all and we didnt even get pulled over once!

what do you need to get the permit....pink slip?? RWC??
im thinking of buying a car from QLD and driving back on a permit.
Zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2009, 08:55 AM   #24
XRSIKS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what sort of car?
BF MK II XR8 - ToXiC...
Toyota Camry Altise

After a patient 2 years...
Now Driving...

2010 FG XR6 - Sunburst!
XRSIKS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2009, 09:21 AM   #25
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNBXR
what sort of car?
an XF panelvan
Zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2009, 09:23 AM   #26
XRSIKS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was looking at getting a car from qld, the owner wanted his plates back, i was going to drive it down, get new plates, then send off his old ones...

or, if that was not going to work, he was going to get some normal gov. ones for it befor sale... so then it still had plates till time of registration transfer...
BF MK II XR8 - ToXiC...
Toyota Camry Altise

After a patient 2 years...
Now Driving...

2010 FG XR6 - Sunburst!
XRSIKS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post