Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Cougar and Probe

Old 15-04-2007, 01:13 PM   #31
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UIDB0118
I would like to replace the stereo with a 2din LCD unit, but cannot workout how to remove the centre facia with the controls. Can anyone assist please....
To take out the stock headunit, u need the 2 ford keys (they go into the holes on either side of the front facia). Try online or Autobarn for them (or even Ford :S, should be around 5-10 bucks) That will unlock the unit from the mounting bracket. Just put the keys in the little holes on either side of the deck and push them in until you hear it click. Then pull them outwards (away from each other) and you should feel the deck kind of loosen and start to come out. Just wiggle it back and forth till it comes out, unplug the harness and antenna, and you're done.

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2007, 01:47 PM   #32
pcperfection
Cougar

Quote:
I would like to replace the stereo with a 2din LCD unit, but cannot workout how to remove the centre facia with the controls. Can anyone assist please....
Or you can use 2 thin bladed screwdrivers (like I did) instead of the keys, but if I were to do it all again I would get a single Din with pop out LCD and mount it in the upper slot, from the USA you can get a single Din plate like a storage compartment to fill the lower slot, the trouble with the double Din is it's in the way of the gear shift and ash tray, while the single Din with a pop out & up screen will get in the way of some of the dash control pannel etc these are things that don't need to be accessed all the time.

Cheers
Mark
pcperfection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2007, 03:38 PM   #33
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

What they Said! haha...

But, on a serious note, Welcome to the Forums, and hope you're enjoying your Cougar!

Dan
Old 15-04-2007, 04:56 PM   #34
UIDB0118
UIDB0118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar-Boy
To take out the stock headunit, u need the 2 ford keys (they go into the holes on either side of the front facia). Try online or Autobarn for them (or even Ford :S, should be around 5-10 bucks) That will unlock the unit from the mounting bracket. Just put the keys in the little holes on either side of the deck and push them in until you hear it click. Then pull them outwards (away from each other) and you should feel the deck kind of loosen and start to come out. Just wiggle it back and forth till it comes out, unplug the harness and antenna, and you're done.
Hi George, my question was how to remove the facia not the radio. I have 2din lcd screen head unit but it needs to be install behind the facia

Regards

Harry
Old 15-04-2007, 05:04 PM   #35
UIDB0118
UIDB0118

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcperfection
Or you can use 2 thin bladed screwdrivers (like I did) instead of the keys, but if I were to do it all again I would get a single Din with pop out LCD and mount it in the upper slot, from the USA you can get a single Din plate like a storage compartment to fill the lower slot, the trouble with the double Din is it's in the way of the gear shift and ash tray, while the single Din with a pop out & up screen will get in the way of some of the dash control pannel etc these are things that don't need to be accessed all the time.

Cheers
Mark
Thank for the info Mark, I have tried a 1din slide/tilt screen but it cannot tilt back far enough to view properly. The heater controls are too far forward for the screen to tilt.

Harry
Old 15-04-2007, 05:43 PM   #36
pcperfection
Cougar

Quote:
Thank for the info Mark, I have tried a 1din slide/tilt screen but it cannot tilt back far enough to view properly. The heater controls are too far forward for the screen to tilt.

Harry
Not sure on how deep your head unit is, but mine will not go behind the fascia, it hits a bracing rib in the back, seems like the whole thing was a custom fit for the stock Ford radio, anyway here is a link on the fascia removal, on the same site they also have a wiring diagram if your not using the special ford adapter.
http://www.cougardb.com/howtoshow.php?howtoid=2

Cheers
Mark
Old 15-04-2007, 05:45 PM   #37
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

I think you're right Mark, my double din LCD is slightly forward of the fascia... has a spacer thing around it to hide it a little. I'm not sure, but I think ProfessorSabre got around this problem?

I want to get behind there and have a look myself one of these days!

Dan
Old 15-04-2007, 09:19 PM   #38
UIDB0118
UIDB0118

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcperfection
Not sure on how deep your head unit is, but mine will not go behind the fascia, it hits a bracing rib in the back, seems like the whole thing was a custom fit for the stock Ford radio, anyway here is a link on the fascia removal, on the same site they also have a wiring diagram if your not using the special ford adapter.
http://www.cougardb.com/howtoshow.php?howtoid=2

Cheers
Mark
Thanks Mark, this is the info I was after very helpful.

Harry
Old 01-05-2007, 01:21 AM   #39
STANG_V6
Formerly FTE666

been looking at the single 2.5in systems from www.trubendz.com in the USA. any idea if there would be any fitting problems due to our cougars being RHD etc....i don't think there would be any difference in the hanging points and such?

Hers - 2002 Ford Explorer XLT, 4.0L V6, 5-speed man, Blue, all options
STANG_V6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2008, 11:25 AM   #40
beaphy
Starter Motor

Hi All,

It has been a while! Been in PNG fixing hospitals, and moved from Capalaba to the GC... SO, catch up time... It's good to be back

ABRAXAS, ya drive is looking nicer than ever!

Anyways....

Got the "moosing" when I started her about two weeks back (missus hadn't driven it for a while, later explained in this post), IACV is definitely the cause and a clean didn't fix him. Trying to source one from the states.

A day after that a dead battery causing an awful noise (clunk clunk) on ignition attempt. Stuck with an RACQ battery now.

Noticed when opening the bonnet for RACQ the heating switch on the passenger side was stuck on. Not that it caused the flat battery, so that's disconnected.

The missus has broken the drivers side fog lamp (ford want $540 for it, pffftttt), thus the missus had no intention to drive it in fear of breaking something else, wise, but I take things like this very well, she's a darl!

So, has anyone got a source in the states to get me back on track w\ driving lights, seat heater switch and an IACV?

Oh, and the spoiler nuts had come off on side... hrm!

Oh, and the trubendz works without a problem, the structure of our chassis and everything else bar the steering column is the same. Highly recommend the 2.5SS borla exhaust. Had it 'clipped' together, but later welded it, the appeal of welding is more comforting. All up, $750 including shipping... but now with the AUD = US (close enough) you may get it cheaper!!!!!
beaphy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2008, 02:48 PM   #41
TheCougar
Lovin Life

hey guys i need HELP! my cougar is in bad shape i took it to a mechanic who has been recomended by heaps of people i know, took it in on wednesday after my car has been missfireing bad i found a split in a vacuum so i got him to make me up a new one and my leads looked abit worn so i got a new set of them, and still it didnt fix it he called me on friday and told me he dosnt know what to do hes tryed asking everyone he knows to get info and just cant so know im back to square one hes got the engin light to stay off and its runnig abit better, i also got some injector cleaner to see if that helps so ill know after this tank of fuel, anyone ever had a problem like this? any ideas on what i should do, id rather not go to ford but i think im out of options, i might just have to trade her in :togo: :(
Old 23-08-2008, 06:19 PM   #42
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

Ummm... though you said you'd rather not go to Ford - I do think they'll be the ones to give you the answer to your problem. At the very least, they can plug in their computer diagnoser and tell you what the problem is even if you don't want them to conduct the repair.

Sinclair Ford have dealt with mine and never been a problem (okay, they've had the car for a number of weeks on occassion but the problem has always been resolved), so that would be my advice.

Dan
Old 23-08-2008, 06:49 PM   #43
TheCougar
Lovin Life

yeah i just dont want them fixing things that dont need fixing they wanted to replace my rocket cover gasket and the 2 mechanics (one a friend) and the other one in penrith both said thats fine if u change it you'll have more problems then you started with, the guy at nepean truck and car, has the tool and he said the comp said cylinders 1 and 3 were miss firing, i replaced my plugs like 3 weeks ago im thinkin maybe somethen was wrong with the plugs i might try changing them again then take it to ford. Also on another note do i remeber you saying king springs wont fit?? cause i have a quote from them saying they can do it??

Jesse
Old 23-08-2008, 06:59 PM   #44
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

Kings springs off the shelf won't fit as they don't specify a different spring set for the 01 models. Unless that has changed... I had a set of King Springs and it was only when we pulled the rear suspension apart we found they wouldn't go in. Fronts were fine.

This was a few years ago though so maybe they've got a set for the 01 model by now. But, if they're quoting the same part number for all year models, the rears won't go in.

Dan
Old 23-08-2008, 07:14 PM   #45
TheCougar
Lovin Life

ah ok cheers dan yeah they are fitting them aswell im not jsut buying from them, so ill ask them if they are specific for the 01. how much lower do you rekon the pedders drop you?
Old 24-08-2008, 02:22 AM   #46
pcperfection
Cougar

The max you can drop the Cougars with out camber kits is 1-1/2in rear and 1-1/4in front, king springs as far as
I know won't fit the rears unless they are cut, as for your misfiring when does it happen - under load - at or
around 3500rpm - at idol- of it's around the 3500rpm mark it may be the (can't think of the name of it now) but
it controls the D.I.S (dual ignition system) it's located under the manifold cover lower front just behind the
radiator, small box with aluminum top cover, to check if it's functioning properly rev the engine ( head under bonnet)
and just below the throttle cable there is another similar cable, watch and see if it moves when you hit 3500rpm if it
doesn't it may be stuck open/closed either way it throws the timing out.

Cheers
Mark
Old 24-08-2008, 10:55 AM   #47
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

With the drop, I can't remember the measurements, but I'm pretty sure the Kings, Pedders and Eibach's all drop the Cougar about the same height. I can't say for sure because I've never parked mine alongside another with an equivalent spring set. Mark's car sits a bit lower (at least visually, and even though mine has a bodykit!)

Suffice to say, the Pedders springs provided an adequate drop for the Cougar. It could be maybe a little bit lower for visual purposes, but for practicality it's pretty spot-on.

Mark, is what you're describing the 'moosing' problem?

Dan
Old 24-08-2008, 11:23 AM   #48
pcperfection
Cougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraxas

Mark, is what you're describing the 'moosing' problem?

Dan
No, the moosing comes from the ICAV thingy ( inlet control air valve) that's located near
the firewall and from memory doesn't really cause any misfire, just a loud noise and small power loss if any.

Mark
Old 26-08-2008, 04:34 PM   #49
TheCougar
Lovin Life

Hey it happens from 1000 to bout 3500 but after that it seams to calm down and also once im in 4th gear it gets better to, ill have a look and see if its the throttle cable thing
Old 26-08-2008, 07:19 PM   #50
bunter
F.T.F Member

hi my wife just got a black v6 couger today nice car has everything but the sunroof, drives like a dream, found a small problem with the warning lights on the roof the one for doors open stays an all the time is this a common problem ?, also how do you replace the lights in the driverside mirror on the viser.

love the car ride smooth as and has some power over our old 3.8 dunnydore.

wife needs to get used to the high beam and blinkers on the left side of the colom.

Old Rides
White V8 EB Mont
Ebony Black 2000 V6 Ford Cougar
bunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2008, 07:43 PM   #51
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

Welcome Bunter (or Bunter's wife). The issues you've raised are the first I've heard of them, and I don't know how to replace the lights in the sun visors, or what bulbs you might need to do it either.

Glad you like the car though!

Dan
Old 26-08-2008, 08:37 PM   #52
bunter
F.T.F Member

wife loves the car she is now MIA with it hahaha, its an auto, only just been told they have problems with the autos after 150,000 ks but this has 180 on it and drives like a new car, good thing is most of the paged for the servises have been done at brad garlick ford, is the couger smartlock or smart sheild, as we need to get a 2nd key cut that has the buttons on it.

Old Rides
White V8 EB Mont
Old 29-08-2008, 04:06 PM   #53
thearrow

Welcome aboard bunter & wife glad you like the car.

They are good car for the money as you get plenty of value traction control, abs etc.

Mine is an auto and haven't had any real problems yet (touch wood).

Are you going to "MOD" it for her as there is a lot of unused horsepower that can be liberated for very little money.
thearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2008, 08:58 PM   #54
bunter
F.T.F Member

yes i hope to d a few mods i am looking into the body kit they use over in the UK with the bonet vent, this has the Xpack less the sun roof, has alot for a car made in 2000.

i also seen a mod they do in the uk were they used the jag 4 button transponder and add the ford key to it and its a flip key, nice mod.

also looking into doing a CAI and duel pipes at a later stage.

Old Rides
White V8 EB Mont
Old 29-08-2008, 10:22 PM   #55
professorsabre
NECO

You know the flip key idea, would the flip key FTG is offering work? Would the Focus or Mondeo flip key work on our Cougars? Anyone know?
professorsabre is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2008, 12:29 PM   #56
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Hi bunter,

Few points about the car and some solutions. Auto will keep on going as long as it's serviced regularly. They're a strong box and will hold up. As for the door ajar light, check the Centeral Timer Unit. (as labeled) It is under your dash...just above the fuse box. It may have a loose connection. It should just snap into place. Maybe it's come loose?

In terms of smartlock etc, the aussie cougar's come standard with alarm. You need to 'double' lock using the remote to activate it. I'm not sure if this can be done with the key in the lock (anyone confirm this?)

Performance exhaust will free up a few bit of horsies. Professorsabre should be able to confirm this as his beast is an auto too (btw Ang, i was in Adelaide last week! Didn't have ur number so i couldn't catch up!)

Cheers

George

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 05:31 PM   #57
Petal

Quote:
In terms of smartlock etc, the aussie cougar's come standard with alarm. You need to 'double' lock using the remote to activate it. I'm not sure if this can be done with the key in the lock (anyone confirm this?)
To double lock using the key only turn the key in the lock as far as it will go towards the front of the car & then towards the back until you hear it lock. The indicators will flash twice to confirm that the car is double locked and the alarm is activated. This can be done in either the driver's or passenger's door but make sure that the first turn is always to the front of the car (irrespective of which side it is).

BTW Welcome Bunter & Bunter's Wife - it's about time we had another female Cougar owner around here!

Roush Performance Body Kit (pics coming soon!)
Petal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2008, 12:16 AM   #58
professorsabre
NECO

Quote:
(btw Ang, i was in Adelaide last week! Didn't have ur number so i couldn't catch up!)

Cheers

George
Next time drop me a PM and so we can catch up!
Old 17-09-2008, 12:27 AM   #59
bunter
F.T.F Member

Quote:
Hi bunter,

Few points about the car and some solutions. Auto will keep on going as long as it's serviced regularly. They're a strong box and will hold up. As for the door ajar light, check the Centeral Timer Unit. (as labeled) It is under your dash...just above the fuse box. It may have a loose connection. It should just snap into place. Maybe it's come loose?

Performance exhaust will free up a few bit of horsies. Professorsabre should be able to confirm this as his beast is an auto too (btw Ang, i was in Adelaide last week! Didn't have ur number so i couldn't catch up!)

Cheers

George

i have been tracing its services here and so far its mist a few not many, it also seems we might be its 2nd owners, i would like to get my hands on a pair of the tail light covers and the scoop for the bonet.

Old Rides
White V8 EB Mont
Old 17-09-2008, 01:16 AM   #60
professorsabre
NECO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunter
i have been tracing its services here and so far its mist a few not many, it also seems we might be its 2nd owners, i would like to get my hands on a pair of the tail light covers and the scoop for the bonet.
You can get the V-Tech tail light covers from Andy's Auto Sport in the US. Andy's Auto Sport Website I use them quite a lot and have never had any issues with them. Good thing is you get the shipping cost at the checkout stage prior to finalising your order. Below are the covers I'm referring to.

The bonnet scoop, you're going to have trouble finding one as I don't think any Ford dealers have any left and I think Dan (Abraxas) bought the last one.

The body kit that uses that scoop was on our Eibach Cougar. The kit was produced by Visteon in the USA which now no longer exist.

Cheers
Angelo