Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-05-2015, 10:07 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default A man in Canada has been fined for using his Apple Watch while driving

"A man in Canada has been fined for using his Apple Watch while driving, with police saying that using the device is no different to using a mobile phone.

Jeffery Macesin was using his new smartwatch, which was released to the public in the UK on 24 April, to change the music he was listening to while driving in Quebec.

Quebec Police pulled him over, and he was given four points on his licence and a fine of $120 (~$126AUD).

The Quebec Highway Safety Code prohibits drivers from using a hand-held device that includes a telephone function while on the move - since it's possible to telephone people with the Apple Watch, it falls under this law.

However, Macesin says that he hasn't broken any law - speaking to CTV News Montreal, he said: "It's not so much hand-held, it's a watch."

"It's on my wrist - and that's where it gets controversial. Is it, or is it not [hand-held]? I think this needs to be talked about."

The watch seems to be in a grey area in Quebec, and in other jurisdictions too - including the UK.

The watch connects to a user's iPhone via bluetooth, with calls being made via loudspeaker. In this respect, it functions like a bluetooth headset, which are legal to use while driving.

Since the watch was only released recently and no similar cases have occurred before, the legal decision on the watch's status is unknown.

However, as smartwatches become more popular, numbers of similar cases are likely to increase.

Macesin is contesting the ticket, and is considering talking to a lawyer to fight his case. "
My Comment : this is a grey area..Its not hand held..its wrist held ?? it will be interesting to see what the plods do here, fine you!!!! Canada's fine is $126 in Q its $351!!! revenue raising under the guise of road safety...
Old 31-05-2015, 10:37 AM   #2
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: A man in Canada has been fined for using his Apple Watch while driving

The laws will quickly be changed here to include any media/phone device.
You will have to place the watch in a cradle whilst driving!
Just glad we don't have cassettes anymore. Just imagine the distraction fast forwarding to find that favourite track....
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 31-05-2015, 11:21 AM   #3
zilo
BANNED

Default Re: A man in Canada has been fined for using his Apple Watch while driving

I'll have to watch out when i'm eating my Big Mac after exitting the drive through...and holding the steering wheel with my knees...

Oh wait...that's legal.....
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 31-05-2015, 12:12 PM   #4
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
I'll have to watch out when i'm eating my Big Mac after exitting the drive through...and holding the steering wheel with my knees...

I'm not sure that it is actually.

When I got my license in 1970 there were no such thing as mobile phones, but there were very strict laws regarding eating or drinking while driving. Maybe things have changed or have they just been relegated as being not important with the advent of mobile devices.

Strangely it was OK to use a microphone back then. Things like 2-way radios & CB radios were commonplace & the coppers weren't worried.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2015, 12:20 PM   #5
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

$330 fine in Queensland! Inattention when driving. That would cover the iwatch too.

Pretty sure you you'd get another fine for not having hands on the wheel. If i recall correctly from my learners days you have to have a hand on the wheel even when stopped at an intersection.

Suspect these are rarely enforced.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2015, 01:33 PM   #6
Rockape
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whats next? Getting fined for looking at your normal watch

Kawasaki ZZR1100
Rockape is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2015, 01:38 PM   #7
malazn mafia
Boss 335

So we arent the only nanny state in the world.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-05-2015, 02:07 PM   #8
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
...Things like 2-way radios & CB radios were commonplace & the coppers weren't worried.
Are you still allowed to use 2-way and CB radio while driving these days or is that now outlawed too (with exception of emergency services)?
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2015, 02:14 PM   #9
Itsme
Experienced Member

Someone better warn Dick Tracy of this!
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-05-2015, 02:32 PM   #10
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

It's not:

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/foo...-1226384136647

I remember not long ago witnessing an accident where a woman rolled her car about 6 times, flipping it end to end. Why?? Because she was having a drink of water, while drinking she hit the gravel on the side of the road, over corrected, lost control and at 110km/hr hit a culvert that flipped her car.

Very lucky to be alive. especially since a road train was coming the other way only just missing her as she was out of control.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2015, 02:45 PM   #11
Craig@AUDI
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Someone better warn Dick Tracy of this!
That's gold!!!
Craig@AUDI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2015, 03:13 PM   #12
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Should be fined for owning one
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2015, 08:34 PM   #13
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mmmmm
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2015, 10:23 PM   #14
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
I wouldn't have let that one go easily.

I would have loved hearing a magistrate's opinion.

Oops..it's a Rupert Murdoch newspaper, must be a true story...
Old 01-06-2015, 12:02 PM   #15
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

won be long and people will be queuing up to get the rfid implant and then you can just think about changing songs and hey presto...track 3
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2015, 10:59 PM   #16
Itsme
Experienced Member

Been reported today in the Melbourne Herald & Sun newspaper victoria police will prosecute anyone caught using an apple watch phone.

Cheers.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2015, 12:11 AM   #17
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From Vic roads, its not that hard.....google search result number 1.
Smart Watches

Smart Watches linked to phones or other devices may be configured in many ways. Many Smart Watch functions may be illegal if used whilst driving because they are included in the rules for using mobile phones or visual display units while driving.

Therefore drivers should refrain from using Smart Watches whilst driving a motor vehicle. In some limited circumstances, drivers may use them as long as they obey the normal restrictions in the Road Rules that apply to the use of mobile phones or visual display units. That is:

• The Smart Watch needs to be secured in a commercially designed mounting affixed to the vehicle (this may be unavailable) and used only as a drivers’ aid (for example, as a navigation device)
    AND

• If being used to make or receive phone calls:
    • does not require the driver to touch anything on the body of the Smart Watch (for example, making and receiving calls needs to be hands-free via Bluetooth or similar means)OR

• is secured in a commercially designed mounting affixed to the vehicle (this may be unavailable).
If a Smart Watch has a phone function this may only be used by fully licensed drivers, as set out in the mobile phone road rules.

VicRoads recommends that drivers not use a Smart Watch whilst driving because they can be distracting; particularly if they take the driver’s eyes off the road, involve touching the device or require thinking about how to make the device functions work.

Plus all of the anecdotal stories of distracted drivers eating or drinking or doing their makeup, these people are breaking the law, if that action causes you to loose control completely or momentarily, in SA its called "driving without due care" and the fine will cost you your left nut, on top of the fine for the device you were using.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 02-06-2015, 03:15 AM   #18
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Been reported today in the Melbourne Herald & Sun newspaper victoria police will prosecute anyone caught using an apple watch phone.

Cheers.
"victoria police will prosecute anyone caught using an apple watch phone". That makes Apple watch phones totally illegal then?
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2015, 07:45 AM   #19
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
"victoria police will prosecute anyone caught using an apple watch phone". That makes Apple watch phones totally illegal then?
Maybe he meant to add "while driving"

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2015, 08:00 AM   #20
LTDHO
The one and only

Sadly road users are getting dumber and pay less attention everyday.

Add a distraction and it's an accident waiting to happen.

People need to take the road a little more serious and have more respect.

On a side note: Ever walked behind someone on their phone?
They can't walk straight. It's scary that they do the same thing when in control of over 1 tonne of metal and plastic!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2015, 03:41 PM   #21
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
Plus all of the anecdotal stories of distracted drivers eating or drinking or doing their makeup, these people are breaking the law, if that action causes you to loose control completely or momentarily, in SA its called "driving without due care" and the fine will cost you your left nut, on top of the fine for the device you were using.

It's only an offence if it caused the collision.

I'll keep eating my Grand Angus, in fact I'm doing it right now.

I was chewing gum and walking down the street earlier too....
Old 02-06-2015, 09:06 PM   #22
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Im sure if an officer witnessed you swerving 10cm out of your lane without causing an accident, your still done. Without.Due.Care.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 02-06-2015, 09:18 PM   #23
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

steer with my knees, shift gears with my elbows whilst pulling billies and necking down an oporto bondi chilli chook burger

no time for a watch
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2015, 10:00 PM   #24
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
Im sure if an officer witnessed you swerving 10cm out of your lane without causing an accident, your still done. Without.Due.Care.
Been driving 40 years, never caused an accident, got 12 demerit points left.

The coppers come in for their free maccas locally and I see them eating on the run as they drive off.

I guess some drivers can't drive, luckily your rules aren't in the reality that I roll around in....
Old 03-06-2015, 11:10 AM   #25
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
steer with my knees, shift gears with my elbows whilst pulling billies and necking down an oporto bondi chilli chook burger

no time for a watch
I'm sure you have it all under control but I personally feel one hand on the shotty and the other on the lighter then pulling the drop cone is not the way to go about things.

In the interests of my own safety and the safety of those around me I only every blaze a joint while driving, which once lit leaves the other hand free to hold my beer, but I also appreciate not everyone is as concerned about road safety as myself.
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: