Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 01-08-2015, 06:20 PM   #1
da20valve
Starter Motor

Default Ecoboost dumping/leaking petrol

Hi

I have a 2011 Mondeo EcoBoost and the other day I got petrol, the next day I was driving home and I noticed it said 111km to empty, then I noticed the gauge going down, it was dropping 1km every 2 seconds, when I got home about 7 km away it was at 40km till empty, I am wondering if its actually leaking or its a mis reading, I can smell petrol but I can see any leaking (had it running on the driveway for 5 minutes and nothing was coming out) the problem is I am scared to drive it (encase it catches fire)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS Also what oil does it take, I cant seem to find what viscosity would be acceptable. ie 10-40 etc.

Thanks for taking the time.
da20valve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2015, 08:14 PM   #2
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Default Re: Ecoboost dumping/leaking petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by da20valve View Post
Hi

I have a 2011 Mondeo EcoBoost and the other day I got petrol
<snip>
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS Also what oil does it take, I cant seem to find what viscosity would be acceptable. ie 10-40 etc.

Thanks for taking the time.
open the fuel cover and look/smell for any fuel spilling signs.

get underneath the rear and with a torch smell/look for signs of leakage (tank/fuel lines ect..), wouldn't hurt to remove the rear seat or carpet in the boot to inspect the tank/pump area access cover. (where ever it is)

Lift the Bonnet and do the same. smells/visual along the fuel system and surrounding areas.

Last check is a simply one, because you've just filled up go to a servo and fill up again. If it takes bugger all fuel then there's a problem with what's being displayed obviously, if it takes near a full tank (or not what you'd expect after recently filling) then there is a problem perhaps internal use.

Could be as simple as a leak, or fuel pump float having a hole and not floating, worse still electrical issues. In any case do what you can and if no good seek a workshop if you can't do anything else. Just be careful/sensible with fuel vapors is all.

and Engine oil will be 5W30 but check your Owners Manual for specifics, there's also Nulon & Penrite to find the right oil product.

Last edited by cobrin; 01-08-2015 at 08:31 PM.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post