Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 25-06-2012, 09:22 PM   #541
Kevaclone

Default Re: Toyota 86 price $29,990!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
BRZ has already been confirmed and its only a month or so behind the 86.

Nice.
Not seen any at the port yet though
99 5.8M Profish plate alloy carport decoration
Old 25-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #542
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
I drove a manual 86 GT today, whoop-de-doo Good chassis, steering was perfect. It would be a lot of fun on a track. Not so much in the suburbs and the city (where, let's face it, 90% of them will be driven on a daily basis). The motor does not belong in a sports car in my opinion. I already had my doubts about the power plant going into it based on specs alone and driving it has confirmed my suspicions. It is frustratingly slow - some might not say frustrating but I did step out of an FG XR6T which is a missile; merging in the 86 was frustrating at times. First world problems. The sound it makes is also quite uninspiring which is probably more disappointing than the motor's performance - I can forgive it for being slow because it's still a hoot to drive. But the sound is a bit of a disappointment. I've driven slower cars before that have sounded nice which makes up for the lack of ponies, but the 86's motor has no redeeming qualities in my book. I think getting this car to a high speed (as referenced on an earlier page) is an exercise in complete stupidity unless you are on a very, very open road as I'm sure it was. It takes such a long time to accumulate speed, dangerous is the only word I'd use when attempting any kind of high speed run in one of these. Yes, it's not the point of this car. But people will do it.

And disregard the specs, this car will not fit more than 2 human beings (unless the two rear seat occupants are amputees). I guess the rear seats are there for insurance purposes only. The interior felt dated, it could have come out in 2002. Functional, yes. The one I drove had a creak in the dash already. The chassis is really the only reason you would buy one in my book. It's a great thing in the corners, but that's all it's good at. I expect to see a lot of them written off by amateur RWD pilots in the years to come - it actually felt a bit like a CB IRS, when it went, it went quickly! Good on Toyota/Subaru for building an attainable RWD car. I'm sure the price doesn't matter to a lot of people either, a friend's old man (who could afford a lot more) is buying one because it reminds him of his old Cortina. I'm sure Flappist isn't shy of a dollar either. But many people won't find this car exciting, it's not because they aren't true pure authentic classic passionate spirited enthusiasts who miss the point (which I'm sick to death of hearing), it's because it's a great car with an average motor. If I bought one I'd drop past an exhaust shop on the way home for a cat back! Looking forward to a TRD version.
Good review, also sums up my Hyundai Veloster I had for 8 weeks, top car 80% of the time but frustratingly SLOW....

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Old 25-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #543
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Subaru website says late July for the BRZ
Old 25-06-2012, 09:39 PM   #544
nstg8a

so sounds like its a true blank canvas lol, if the power is that bad it will be interesting to see what the most popular conversions will be.

seems like it has the basics squared away, just needs the power to bring it alive.
Old 25-06-2012, 10:39 PM   #545
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
I drove a manual 86 GT today, whoop-de-doo Good chassis, steering was perfect. It would be a lot of fun on a track. Not so much in the suburbs and the city (where, let's face it, 90% of them will be driven on a daily basis). The motor does not belong in a sports car in my opinion. I already had my doubts about the power plant going into it based on specs alone and driving it has confirmed my suspicions. It is frustratingly slow - some might not say frustrating but I did step out of an FG XR6T which is a missile; merging in the 86 was frustrating at times. First world problems. The sound it makes is also quite uninspiring which is probably more disappointing than the motor's performance - I can forgive it for being slow because it's still a hoot to drive. But the sound is a bit of a disappointment. I've driven slower cars before that have sounded nice which makes up for the lack of ponies, but the 86's motor has no redeeming qualities in my book. I think getting this car to a high speed (as referenced on an earlier page) is an exercise in complete stupidity unless you are on a very, very open road as I'm sure it was. It takes such a long time to accumulate speed, dangerous is the only word I'd use when attempting any kind of high speed run in one of these. Yes, it's not the point of this car. But people will do it.

And disregard the specs, this car will not fit more than 2 human beings (unless the two rear seat occupants are amputees). I guess the rear seats are there for insurance purposes only. The interior felt dated, it could have come out in 2002. Functional, yes. The one I drove had a creak in the dash already. The chassis is really the only reason you would buy one in my book. It's a great thing in the corners, but that's all it's good at. I expect to see a lot of them written off by amateur RWD pilots in the years to come - it actually felt a bit like a CB IRS, when it went, it went quickly! Good on Toyota/Subaru for building an attainable RWD car. I'm sure the price doesn't matter to a lot of people either, a friend's old man (who could afford a lot more) is buying one because it reminds him of his old Cortina. I'm sure Flappist isn't shy of a dollar either. But many people won't find this car exciting, it's not because they aren't true pure authentic classic passionate spirited enthusiasts who miss the point (which I'm sick to death of hearing), it's because it's a great car with an average motor. If I bought one I'd drop past an exhaust shop on the way home for a cat back! Looking forward to a TRD version.
In 1979 I owned a Gemini Panelvan which I used to deliver newspapers to Rockhampton from Maryborough (800km round trip) on Saturdays and Sundays. It was small, light, had the amazing new "radial tuned suspension" and although it only did 150km/h flat out this was the era before speed cameras, mobile radar and the "A current affair do gooder and wowser society".
I used to average just over 3 hours each way.

I learned a very interesting lesson in going fast at that time as it was just after I had sold the XC Falcon I had driven on that same road for over 400,000km (6 days a week for a couple of years).

I used to often overtake V8 falcons and monaros which seemed to not go down all that well for some strange reason and often led to them imbibing in "spirited driving".

The lesson was:

It does not matter how fast you can accelerate or how fast you can go in a straight line if you cannot maintain the speed through the windy stuff you will get left behind as many of the above found out to their surprise when they were overtaken on the outside of a corner while they were hanging on for dear life just trying to stay on the road.

I have repeated the lesson on many occasions in the datto, although not at the same speeds as in the current era of cotton wool and nannyistas I would probably be jailed, when superheroes in commodores etc. would try and push me faster to act as a "mine sweeper".
The party trick is to not slow for the corners and to not even flash the brake lights. Overconfidence that if a datto can do it then they can do it has made some VERY interesting out of shape scenes in my rear view mirror.

Unfortunately I almost suffered from the predicament just after I bought my FG2 as I attacked several corners at slightly less that I had done previously in the datto and still got out of shape.

The 86 is really good at one thing, it goes around corners. If you do not like playing in windy stuff or get a bit frightened when you can't see 400m up the road then maybe the 86 is not for you.
Fortunately there are many other options available that will allow you to do what you like doing in a car whether that is 0-400, towing a caravan with 5 POB, commuting from maccas to hungry jacks and back or just driving to work in comfort while listening the the glorious roar of your engine.

Me, I love going fast. I do it whenever I can and will use any legal methodology available to go as fast as I can wherever I go.

That is why I bought my GT-P as all the previous cars I had driven in open zones got a bit skittish at 200km/h (the GT-P was good to about 230 and would actually do 254 although the datto did 267)

So rather than deride those who like and even possibly may buy one of these just be happy that they did not buy the car you like otherwise you might miss out on it........
Old 25-06-2012, 11:13 PM   #546
bingoTE50
Steve

Agree with you totally Flappist. I too had a BF GT and yes 240 was a worry in it and tight corners was its nemesis . My Te50 was superior . My wifes Mazda 3 is better again on the bends. These new 86's are going to be a sensation if not already , a modern classic in its own right . I am constantly amazed by the measurement of a cars greatness in 1/4 mile times and kw " at the wheels " . different strokes I suppose , but not my priority in a performance car.
Old 25-06-2012, 11:41 PM   #547
washoutbeach

I just want to get one so I can drive it to the seaside, floor it all the way up to the lighthouse, judiciously alight from the vehicle....but not without steering it straight over the highest cliff.

86 seconds from the coast road to the sea floor.

86 seconds-the average time of actual thought for the customer who buys one (in their entire life).

86 seconds-the time it takes for the fat, awkward, try-hard aging boy racer who bought one- to realise s/he made a mistake.

FTW Focus.

Last edited by washoutbeach; 25-06-2012 at 11:48 PM.
Old 25-06-2012, 11:47 PM   #548
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by washoutbeach
I just want to get one so I can drive it to the seaside, floor it all the way up to the lighthouse, judiciously alight from the vehicle....but not without steering it straight over the highest cliff.

86 seconds from the coast road to the sea floor.

86 seconds-the average time of actual thought for the customer who buys one (in their entire life).
errrrrrrrr...... ...
Old 25-06-2012, 11:51 PM   #549
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Lol...wow...lights

Come back when you have a general idea about what the point of a car like this is.
What is the point of the car please explain? To be slow?

What person in their "sports car sportivo" wants to be blown away from the lights by a family man fg xt. They cost the same dont they? Im being serious
Old 25-06-2012, 11:55 PM   #550
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevaclone
Do you know anything about Power to weight ratio?
how much did the VT weigh?
the 86 weighs approx 1260Kg

It shares nothing with the Corolla,
Corolla: FWD, inline 4cyl
GT-86: RWD, Subaru Boxer 4cyl

These cars aren't built for traffic light drags
but try and keep up to an 86 in an FG XT or a VT(or even VE) on a tight twisty mountain road
Yes its lighter but also missing 200nm torque from the falcon or commodore.

Where are all these mountains? Its more likely to find itself coming onto an expressway having to merge into one lane. The driver would get tired of the other car forcing its way in.(due to more roll on acceleration). Am i missing something or is this the truth?
Old 25-06-2012, 11:56 PM   #551
washoutbeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotAU

What person in their "sports car sportivo" wants to be blown away from the lights by a family man fg xt. They cost the same dont they? Im being serious
Thats the point son.

86 drivers do want to be blown away by a family man in his Fg Xt.
Old 26-06-2012, 12:20 AM   #552
nstg8a

if you guys dont like it so much do us all a favour and find another thread to infest.
trolling for sake of trolling is boring.
Old 26-06-2012, 02:07 AM   #553
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
In 1979 I owned a Gemini Panelvan which I used to deliver newspapers to Rockhampton from Maryborough (800km round trip) on Saturdays and Sundays. It was small, light, had the amazing new "radial tuned suspension" and although it only did 150km/h flat out this was the era before speed cameras, mobile radar and the "A current affair do gooder and wowser society".
I used to average just over 3 hours each way.

I learned a very interesting lesson in going fast at that time as it was just after I had sold the XC Falcon I had driven on that same road for over 400,000km (6 days a week for a couple of years).

I used to often overtake V8 falcons and monaros which seemed to not go down all that well for some strange reason and often led to them imbibing in "spirited driving".

The lesson was:

It does not matter how fast you can accelerate or how fast you can go in a straight line if you cannot maintain the speed through the windy stuff you will get left behind as many of the above found out to their surprise when they were overtaken on the outside of a corner while they were hanging on for dear life just trying to stay on the road.

I have repeated the lesson on many occasions in the datto, although not at the same speeds as in the current era of cotton wool and nannyistas I would probably be jailed, when superheroes in commodores etc. would try and push me faster to act as a "mine sweeper".
The party trick is to not slow for the corners and to not even flash the brake lights. Overconfidence that if a datto can do it then they can do it has made some VERY interesting out of shape scenes in my rear view mirror.

Unfortunately I almost suffered from the predicament just after I bought my FG2 as I attacked several corners at slightly less that I had done previously in the datto and still got out of shape.

The 86 is really good at one thing, it goes around corners. If you do not like playing in windy stuff or get a bit frightened when you can't see 400m up the road then maybe the 86 is not for you.
Fortunately there are many other options available that will allow you to do what you like doing in a car whether that is 0-400, towing a caravan with 5 POB, commuting from maccas to hungry jacks and back or just driving to work in comfort while listening the the glorious roar of your engine.

Me, I love going fast. I do it whenever I can and will use any legal methodology available to go as fast as I can wherever I go.

That is why I bought my GT-P as all the previous cars I had driven in open zones got a bit skittish at 200km/h (the GT-P was good to about 230 and would actually do 254 although the datto did 267)

So rather than deride those who like and even possibly may buy one of these just be happy that they did not buy the car you like otherwise you might miss out on it........
In today's world of do-gooders it's a somewhat rare admission that you enjoy going fast wherever possible, I like that. A winding road is much more enjoyable than speeding in a straight line, that's nothing new, most of us know that. Most of us. That's why I have purposely avoided putting ridiculous amounts of power through my XR6 Turbo which is almost always the modification of choice, making them undrivable basically everywhere except straight lines. A factory 12 second pass is enough for me, I'm not a 1320 enthusiast. I've instead upgraded the suspension, bushes, brakes, wheels/tyres and moved the battery for better balance - the FGs handle very well if you tickle them the right way, you would be surprised. I have a video recorded just last week of it comprehensively outpacing a current model STI through the national park in Sydney, not something that you would expect from a big RWD Ford. It's a lot of fun. It also tows a 1.8 tonne Sea Ray. Seats 5 people. Does the Maccas runs. Drives to work. Goes quite fast. It's ideal.

I tried out an 86 mainly because of the hype surrounding it, I said to myself if it blew my socks off I'd order one to keep as a second car for a bit of weekend fun in the national park. I doubt they will depreciate much. However, in its current form, the motor did not impress me, I know I wouldn't enjoy driving it as much as I enjoy my XR6T.

The comments comparing it to an XT off the lights are ridiculous. Yes, I think it needs a little more power - particularly if you were to live with it day to day as I'm sure many owners will (not everyone has the means to own a weekend car), things such as merging I found frustrating at its current power level. But drag racing big powerful sedans off the traffic lights is a little bit silly. One thing you do have to give Toyota props for is that they haven't been too concerned with outright pace. In a world where everything sporty needs a dual clutch auto transmission and 500 horsepower to get around the track 2 tenths of a second quicker, Toyota have focused on the driving experience first and foremost. As I've said already, I think the TRD (TMG?) version will be just about perfect as a driver's car.
Old 26-06-2012, 08:23 AM   #554
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:

You can look like a try hard thinking your heaps awesome as you falcon wins a traffic light drag.

But take your self to a race track (i doub you will, because you seem dim witted) and line up against an 86 and see you FG get left behind.

Sports cars are not about traffic light drags...they are about twisty fun stuff.

But, you still wont understand...keep licking windows.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 26-06-2012, 10:12 AM   #555
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe the Mods should just close the thread until some actual factual performance figures start becoming available, such as magazine track tests and such ...

Until then there will be haters (myself included) and Fan boys (lotsa people on this thread) ...
Old 26-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #556
GT 160
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka100
Maybe the Mods should just close the thread until some actual factual performance figures start becoming available, such as magazine track tests and such ...

Until then there will be haters (myself included) and Fan boys (lotsa people on this thread) ...

Why ?

There's plenty of "actual" performance figures available from magazine tests, Wheels and Motor have covered the car extensively.

In fact Wheels rated the 86 higher than the outgoing Porsche Cayman.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...p;postcount=15
Old 26-06-2012, 11:04 AM   #557
bingoTE50
Steve

I like Falcons , FPV's ,HSv's etc . I just think Toyota has a winner on its hands because of the pricing. Honda also had a good car in the Integra Type R , but they charged more than 40k on road for it. If the 86 was more than 40k it would not be quite as appealing to me. They also have the S2000 ,but again it is overpriced . Mazda's MX5 is another, but again its too dear.
Old 26-06-2012, 11:16 AM   #558
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Its got nothing to do with being a fanboi...god I have never owned a Toyota and never thought of doing so..except for old school Corollas and Supras...other than that no love.

This thing comes along at a good price and gives "normal" people the ability to experience pure driving (no passenger based sedan will match it) that typically high end cars can give if you have the $$$

So if you dont like the car dont post...your wasting everyones time. Id wager most of the knockers are auto falcon fans who dont care anyway...perhaps taking your mums advice and if you dont have something nice to say then dont bother would have cut half the trash in this thread.

If it was about a Ford I reckon it would have been monitored rather differently.

Its a fun car that has deliberately not been powered up yet...why would they? Its an affordable sports car..thats it...calling it a performance car might be a stretch bur WGAF.

Id be interested to see how it would perform against say a lotus-toyota powered car...because what other car compares? MX5 I guess but its a convertible so thats different again.

Wasnt their a thread for a new Toyota performance brand...not hard to put two and two together....the price will go up then you can compare it all you like to other performance cars.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 26-06-2012, 11:18 AM   #559
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingoTE50
I like Falcons , FPV's ,HSv's etc . I just think Toyota has a winner on its hands because of the pricing. Honda also had a good car in the Integra Type R , but they charged more than 40k on road for it. If the 86 was more than 40k it would not be quite as appealing to me. They also have the S2000 ,but again it is overpriced . Mazda's MX5 is another, but again its too dear.
I could see myself towing an 86 with a GT/F6 to the track no worries....
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 26-06-2012, 11:42 AM   #560
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
The lesson was:

And there is the whole point right there.
As for "being blown away at the lights by an XT", big deal. The only people who will be upset about that are the type of people who like to drag race away from traffic lights and get bothered when someone beats them. I get it all the time when we go away in the Celica...boy racers young and old will sit there and rev the hell out of whatever crap bucket they're driving, and scream away from the lights...but I know in the back of my mind that my car will be far superior on a nice winding road, or even just taking corners in the town smoothly and crisply.

Fun within the legal limits is what the future is of vehicles given the way enforcement is going...not top end speed or quarter mile times...
Old 26-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #561
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E

Fun within the legal limits is what the future is of vehicles given the way enforcement is going...not top end speed or quarter mile times...
I dont think a Falcon XT will go sliding off the road in the twisty bits if driving within the legal speed limits. But in a straight line it will dominate a Toyota 86.

imagine a mountain climb? 200nm vs 400nm? The Xt would tow a trailer up the mountain whilst the 86 is at 6000rpm trying to keep up.

Let me remind you....at the same price..
Old 26-06-2012, 01:19 PM   #562
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Uh, no, this is where you're wrong.

Re read what flappist said about cornering speed. The 86 would catch it every time once the XT headed into a corner.

Not to mention, you look cool. Face it. The 86 is a good looking sporty car. The XT is a boring old grandpa car. An XR6 or anything above may be better, but not an XT and the 86's packaging is also quite nice in comparison. Not to mention it's fuel costs as well as servicing costs.
Old 26-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #563
EFFalcon
Last warning

my turbo EF couldn't get away from a well setup focus around winton, despite having double the power, sure i rocketed away down the straight, but under brakes and through the corner, the focus was right behind me again.

people really under estimate what a properly setup car is capable of.
superlows don't make a car handle... let alone some 205's and stock grand pa suspension.

the 86 is shaping up to be a brilliant car, show me another recent car thats had so much hype simply based on the public's perception of the car.
its covering so many bases.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
Old 26-06-2012, 01:37 PM   #564
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think Toyota has done a great job, that's a great car for that price. Most people don't buy cars for cornering speeds or 1/4 times, or hill climbs. If that's your main criteria than you buy a car and tune/modify it accordingly. As car enthusiasts we may be the exception to the above. The 86 offers people the chance to drive a RWD sports car, which adequately covers most bases at a reasonable price.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
Old 26-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #565
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I agree with the pro handling comments here. There is more to driving than fast in a straight line. Fine if that's what you are looking for, then the 86 isn't your car as already said.

But if what people are saying is true about the handling prowess this car has in the twisty bits, then the mitsi evo/subby wrx boys better watch out.

That being said, I hear the supercharged version due in a few months is the one to watch out for if improved power is what your after.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 26-06-2012, 02:10 PM   #566
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
I agree with the pro handling comments here. There is more to driving than fast in a straight line. Fine if that's what you are looking for, then the 86 isn't your car as already said.

But if what people are saying is true about the handling prowess this car has in the twisty bits, then the mitsi evo/subby wrx boys better watch out.

That being said, I hear the supercharged version due in a few months is the one to watch out for if improved power is what your after.
Having previously owned a modified Mitsubishi Evo 8 MR, I will simply laugh at this statement. Not only will an Evo outhandle the 86 in the twisty bits, it's actually fitted with a decent engine and will put lenghts on it in the straight bits between the corners.

Let's not start talking this thing up as something it's not, please. Affordable RWD sports car - Yes. Evo/STi beating mountain king - No.
Old 26-06-2012, 02:26 PM   #567
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I dont think a Falcon XT will go sliding off the road in the twisty bits if driving within the legal speed limits. But in a straight line it will dominate a Toyota 86.

imagine a mountain climb? 200nm vs 400nm? The Xt would tow a trailer up the mountain whilst the 86 is at 6000rpm trying to keep up.

Let me remind you....at the same price..
what are you on about? go troll somewhere else
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Old 26-06-2012, 02:37 PM   #568
Poetic Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval

There is no supercharged version due in the near future.
Old 26-06-2012, 02:53 PM   #569
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUD
There is no supercharged version due in the near future.
Exactly. I have no idea where people are getting the idea that there's going to be a supercharged TRD version and a turbocharged STi version. From what I've read from both companies, there are no plans for either. Subaru are planning an STi version of the BRZ, but it will keep the same engine.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/165639/s...he-way-report/

The Toyota 86 TRD version is going to have new rims, a new body kit and some bigger brakes.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/165968/t...its-the-track/

The fact is that the standard engine is tuned right to the edge with its current hardware and other components like gearbox etc would need to be upgraded for power increases.

Subaru have made a DI, turbocharged version of the engine which has 221kW/400Nm, but there's a massive compression drop from 12.5:1 for the NA engine, to 10.6:1 for the FI engine. Whether this engine makes it into the car in a few years remains to be seen.

Last edited by Nic85; 26-06-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 26-06-2012, 02:59 PM   #570
Poetic Justice

Mind you, there won't be TRD anything in Australia. TRD has long since existed in this country and I would bet my bottom dollar that if they were ever to do anything performance orientated again it won't be called TRD at all due to past failures.
Closed Thread