Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 16-07-2020, 10:01 PM   #1
Renz
Starter Motor

Default Which MD to get?

Hi all.

Been lurking for a little while, soaking up as much info as I can in the hunt for an MD. I have to say, this is one of the better forums that I've joined, and that is many. I've decided to keep it in the Ford family, as I've previously owned an MY14 LW MKII Focus Sport, and currently driving an MY16 Volvo V40 T5-R with the 180kw 2.0T. Looking to get something larger, now that the kids are getting bigger and bikes seem to be a staple item to carry around.

I'm still on the fence, re Diesel or Petrol, but am more confused about which model year to get.

I test drove a low km example today of an 11/15 (MY16) Titanium at a really good price and saw a comparable MY17 for $3k more. BTW, was very impressed with the way that drove/handled. From my understanding, it sounds like the main difference between these 2 model years is the Sync 3.

Is having Sync 3 and Android Auto really worth paying an extra $3k for the car? Is there anything else major that was changed that could help justify the extra cost?

Cheers.
Renz.
Renz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2020, 10:32 PM   #2
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Which MD to get?

Hi,

As you can see from the sig we have an MD Titanium wagon. It was first registered in Jan 2017 (makes it a MY16.75) and we acquired if in early 2018 after a year being used by a Ford Executive.

If you are looking for a Titanium Wagon of that vintage then you will be driving a diesel, as it was the only engine option in the wagon, but I'm not sure about the Hatch.

If you will be doing most of the distance in the city then I'd probably opt for the petrol engine. This is because the diesel needs a longish run, at highish speeds, periodically to regenerate the DPF. We have now owned mondeo diesels for 11 years and have never noticed a DPF regeneration, but we live in regional Victoria and ordinarily (read prior to Covid 19) do a run into the Melbourne suburbs once a week.

There is one bit of kit I would not do without, and that is the blind spot monitoring in the exterior rear vision mirrors. This is only fitted to the Titanium spec vehicles so far as I know. As an older p[erson, I like not having to twist my kneck too much (crepitous - if you know what that is).

Sync 3, yes it present in our car, but after two years now the bells and whistles of the systems are no longer a novelty.

The model years later than 17 or 17.5 rearraged the switches either side of the gear shift so that the parking brake (electric) is located on the driver's side to make it a little more convenient for the driver.

What I'm really P*ssed off about is Ford's decision to cease importing the car, so I will have to look for something else than another Mondeo in a couple of years when my extended warranty runs out.

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2020, 11:19 PM   #3
Renz
Starter Motor

Hi AlanD.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, it is sad that Ford has decided to discontinue it locally. I should've mentioned it's a Titanium hatch that I'm after, hence why I do have an engine choice to make. I'll be doing mostly city commuting, with the odd holiday trip, up or down the coast from Sydney. It will also have to do double duty on the occasional Uber shift. Not sure if that changes whether the choice should be diesel or petrol. I'm leaning towards the diesel for the better fuel economy, but the petrol feels more exciting to drive. Especially since I'm coming from a cousin of the 2.0T EcoBoost that I now have in my V40.

Still trying to figure out the main differences between the MY16 and the MY17, besides the Sync 3.

Cheers.
Renz.
Old 17-07-2020, 04:00 AM   #4
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renz View Post

Still trying to figure out the main differences between the MY16 and the MY17, besides the Sync 3.

Cheers.
Renz.
Whether Sync 3 with CarPlay/Android Auto is worth it or not will depend on whether you use it. I have Sync 2 in my car, and although I think Android Auto would be very useful, I don't use it enough to warrant spending extra on it.

So then it'll come down to other factors like mileage, condition, and colour.

From memory, there are very minor differences - centre console changed to matte black rather than gloss black, and I think they moved the park brake to the driver's side of the centre console rather than on the passenger's side. Front headrests were no longer 4 way adjustable (up, down and tilt) but only 2 way (up/down).

Titanium got 19" 5 twin-spoke rims with MY17 update. MY16s still had the ugly (IMO) 18" 20-spoke rims as standard.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2020, 04:07 AM   #5
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

accidental double post - please delete
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)

Last edited by NX74205; 17-07-2020 at 04:10 AM. Reason: Please delete
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2020, 07:30 AM   #6
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For a lot of short trips / city driving, I’d agree with the others, go petrol.
The diesel is a great engine, though, love the torque.
The other issue I’d transmission. Don’t know if the MD has better shift calibration, but driving mine in the city would drive me spare!
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2020, 05:57 PM   #7
Renz
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
(1) Whether Sync 3 with CarPlay/Android Auto is worth it or not will depend on whether you use it.
(2) From memory, there are very minor differences - centre console changed to matte black rather than gloss black, and I think they moved the park brake to the driver's side of the centre console rather than on the passenger's side. Front headrests were no longer 4 way adjustable (up, down and tilt) but only 2 way (up/down).
(3) Titanium got 19" 5 twin-spoke rims with MY17 update. MY16s still had the ugly (IMO) 18" 20-spoke rims as standard.
(1) Hmmm, I don't know much about Android Auto. It's annoying at the moment having to use the Uber maps app on my phone instead of my touchscreen. I was hopeful that Android Auto would allow me to display the Uber map app this way. Maybe some people with Android Auto experience could advise if this would work?
(2) None of these things would matter to me.
(3) Each to their own, but I like the 20 spoke wheels, especially in black.

Ultimately, most of my trips are to and from work - 10km each way. Plus the multitude of Uber trips, that could be anything up to 50-60km one way. I suppose that's probably not great for a diesel, but then most users on here don't seem to have any issues with their DPF, even with a similar driving style. It's such a tough choice, as they both have their own benefits.

Cheers
Renz.

Last edited by Renz; 17-07-2020 at 06:06 PM.
Old 30-07-2020, 05:50 PM   #8
thebigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renz View Post
I'm leaning towards the diesel for the better fuel economy...
An example of the economy attached. I just drove Brisbane to Roma and back.
Didn't need to stop for fuel. This is about the same distance as Brisbane to Sydney.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_46361.JPG (39.0 KB, 36 views)
thebigd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2020, 08:11 AM   #9
BLACKVE

Have both a ecoboost and diesel MDs petrol at 8.2L and diesel at 5.8L. Both drive great but prefer the Diesel seems to have more grunt for overtaking
Old 14-09-2020, 07:12 PM   #10
thebigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKVE View Post
Have both a ecoboost and diesel MDs petrol at 8.2L and diesel at 5.8L. Both drive great but prefer the Diesel seems to have more grunt for overtaking
You got both ? Wow you are hard core.
Mine is now at 5.9L overall. Agree the diesel has plenty of overtaking grunt. Was hard to get used to initially, as it was pulling hard, but not revving like the Falcons I was used to driving.
thebigd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: