Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 18-09-2007, 10:29 PM   #1
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

Default Quick engine question

Nice simple one for you...

What does this bit do??

I'm talking about the little silver plate that sits more or less over the bottom right hand corner of the valve cover.

Since this photo was taken I've had a complete exhaust installed including extractors so the tin plate covering the shorty and the cat are gone and that little plate was all that was left.

I took it off when i changed the valve cover gasket a few weeks ago and as i was putting it back together i realised it served no apparent purpose.
I thought it looked pretty ugly so i left it off. everything else went back on including the lug that the throttle cable is clipped onto.

I'm just wondering if it does anything incredibly important and if i should have left it on. I still have it... somewhere.

Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2007, 10:37 PM   #2
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Hey mate. not sure.. but be sure to put up a file/vid of your car with its exhaust. would really love to hear as im looking at getting mine done..

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2007, 10:56 PM   #3
Tj-zetec

Mine's pretty quiet. At idle it's only fractionally louder than stock, just a deeper more resonant tone. Give it a kick in the guts tho and it gets noticed, but still not obnoxiously loud.
Good tone too. Not rice, like a hyundai excel with a coffee can.. uhh, i mean cannon muffler.

Got it through HiTech mufflers in darlinghurst here in sydney. Recomended to me by some one on here.
Old 18-09-2007, 11:20 PM   #4
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

TJ, I think it was only there for heat protection. In fact, if you search the net for pictures of Focus engine bays, you'll be hard pressed to find engines with it in place
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2007, 07:57 PM   #5
Tj-zetec

I figured as much. If i remember rightly tho, that photo you sent me of yours had it in there still *tee-hee*

I'll keep an eye on my throttle cable and if it starts to melt i'll then know what it was there for.
Old 19-09-2007, 08:22 PM   #6
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Almost keep it for sentimental reasons!! It was the first "bling" mod I did in the engine bay. Took it off, polished it with a green scourer and some metal polish and it came up a treat. Encoraged me to do the same to the exhaust cover, and it just gets tragic from there!!
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2007, 09:24 PM   #7
photn
AFF Post NAZI

thats cool TJ... ill need to hear it some day....

and i think i recomended you LOL....

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2007, 06:40 PM   #8
Tj-zetec

probably photn, my memory is impressively bad.

I would like to come to that cruise you're getting together but as i discussed in another thread I'm going to be majorly hungover as it's the day after i go see motorhead. Next time maybe.