Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-10-2010, 09:18 PM   #31
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did you actually park in a spot or behind someone? Looks to me like you parked on no-mans land and this dude did not see you in his mirrors because his car is high yours is a ute which would be much lower than his canopy.

Considering he had to go backwards and forwards a few times, I'd say you did not leave enough room.

No excuse for driving off but I think you may need to take some responsibility for this.

If you parked in a legitimate spot then ignore what I wrote.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 09:21 PM   #32
wesomc

V6 MK Triton ('98- '06), can't see badges so is hard to tell if early or late build.

Wes

Marine Blue EBII XR8 - GT40p's, Paceys, 3in mandrel bent exhaust, Explorer Manifold, YT 1.72 RR's, 65mm TB, 75mm MAF, Thermo's...now manual

1967 Ford Futura coupe 289 C4 stock cruiser
wesomc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 09:25 PM   #33
Pearly
Lowriding

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the time spent at most functions taking photos free for us 

I'll be going back tomorrow to look for the owner. I believe it's a regular car there as I think I have seen it before.

I already checked with the school about any footage. As soon as I walked up to the car and saw the damage I walked back and asked about surveillance. I didn't think my camera would have caught it. I only realised it was on the recording when I got home.

I won't be a ***** about it at first, but if I get nowhere with the owner then I might not be so nice. You wouldn't have wanted to be around me when I first saw it. I drove around the school grounds like a hungry lion in case they had parked it elsewhere. Then I calmed down a bit. Then I felt a tiny bit better when I saw it on video.
Pearly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 09:26 PM   #34
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that sucks mate

I would go and have a chat with the principle and see what he/she says

You might find they know the vehicle and they will have insurance to pay for it (unless they have signs up saying park at own risk )

worth a try

if i can i will have a chat with the head of my kids school and see what he says you should do

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 09:28 PM   #35
Mad Maxine

This is the sort of thing that really leaves a bad taste in your mouth and makes you distrust your fellow man. I have taken FIVE hits to my 1962 Compact Fairlane since 2007, and not one of them bothered leaving a note. Just spent loads of money getting rust removed and a total respray, and not one month later, someone rammed the back tailfin on the driver's side. Shits me to tears.

And when I had the F350, some dim-witted cloth-headed moron managed to drive a shopping trolly into the front guard by trapping it between her front left guard and mine, and then reversing out anyway. I know this, because someone told me, but they failed to get her license plate, so I had to suck it up and pay for that too.

*blood boiling already again, better stop now before I bust a blood vessel*

Hope you find the scumbag who did it, and yeah, let your insurance get them if you can return to the scene of the crime and get footage of the same vehicle from all angles. That midnight tint should give it away - plus I bet it's too dark to be legal

1977 XC GS Coupe
Mad Maxine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 09:31 PM   #36
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

The biggest problem you have is the fact you cant see the plates. They can deny it was they car. But they cant deny "oh look, Silver Mitsubishi Triton, these wheels, those roof racks, & OOOOHHHHH your number plates match the same ones as on this recording, unless someone has stolen your car".

I think you may have a hard time in this one. Unless you do something a little devious & write down the plates (both of that Knob, & the others that were there at the time) & say that: "I routinely write down the plates of the cars parked close to my car for these sorts of incidents & this is your numberplate isnt it??"

Because no doubt that the only Silver Mitsubishi Triton in that carpark....
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 09:33 PM   #37
Pearly
Lowriding

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the time spent at most functions taking photos free for us 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
Did you actually park in a spot or behind someone?
It's a dirt car park there are no marked spots. I was behind it, but there was plenty of room behind it to get out, all you had to do was turn as soon as you started to back out and you would have made it in one go. I actually drove further forward, up onto a garden so that they would have more room than required.

I find it hard to believe that my ute was invisible behind this vehicle. To me it seems they didn't even look in their rear view mirrors, as evident by the fact they just backed straight out, without turning until they hit something.
Old 13-10-2010, 09:42 PM   #38
Pearly
Lowriding

In the full video there is a glimpse of the number plate. I can see a small portion of it when I open the door and step out, but all I can see is the 3rd character. The letter 'P', and possibly the letter 'L' as the second character.
Old 13-10-2010, 09:44 PM   #39
pod66

if it was a tradie they should have signed in before starting work, i know i have to when ever i do any work at a school, it might be worth a look anyway
pod66 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 09:44 PM   #40
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearly
It's a dirt car park there are no marked spots. I was behind it, but there was plenty of room behind it to get out, all you had to do was turn as soon as you started to back out and you would have made it in one go. I actually drove further forward, up onto a garden so that they would have more room than required.

I find it hard to believe that my ute was invisible behind this vehicle. To me it seems they didn't even look in their rear view mirrors, as evident by the fact they just backed straight out, without turning until they hit something.
Appears that it was pretty easy. They backed straight out(apparently without looking) then when they hit, drove directly back to where they started and went again, this time avoiding you with a very standard 2 point manoeuvre. Looks like driving lights on the front,too.
edit... maybe not on 2nd view, nudge bar though.
Old 13-10-2010, 09:49 PM   #41
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you will find they did not see you car, have you tried reversing out of a dual cab 4x4 with a canopy lately?

That being said and although that does NOT look like a good place to park in any circumstances the driver is defiantly a ***** for driving off!
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 09:50 PM   #42
Pearly
Lowriding

Quote:
Originally Posted by pod66
if it was a tradie they should have signed in before starting work, i know i have to when ever i do any work at a school, it might be worth a look anyway
That's a good point. As my video is time stamped, it might help if they signed out just before that.
Old 13-10-2010, 09:52 PM   #43
Kev_BLNXR8_Ute
Hmm Project XW VAN !!!!

Good luck dude...

I have a nice Bullbar on my work ute if you prefer payback..lol
Kev_BLNXR8_Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 10:12 PM   #44
MRFGXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Definitely hope you catch the driver and they own up to it. Seems a real shame that the driver didn't even have the curtsy to leave a note, people now day. Christ that ticks me off. Oh well at least if you can get their particulars then you can put in a insurance claim.
Hope it all works out for you Pearly.

Keith

6/6/16 build 2017 plate Race red mustang gt with white solid stripes, tint, x-force exhaust, rear spoiler, 35mm lowered Votgland springs

MRFGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 10:13 PM   #45
FPVSutto
Finally got it......

Thats shithouse mate..... good luck.
09 F6 #679 - Viper
FPVSutto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 10:13 PM   #46
Mad Maxine

Claiming he 'didn't see' your car is no defense. It is his obligation as the licensed operator of a vehicle to ensure he has full vision while seated, or he should get out to check his surroundings. Looks like inattention or laziness to me. What's to bet he/she was on the phone or faffing about with his phone or stereo, or doing something at the same time while reversing? I would mention about the blackout tint probably having something to do with it if you think it might help.

1977 XC GS Coupe
Mad Maxine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 10:21 PM   #47
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Amazed that the fool didn't even bother to get out and take a look.......
I'm stunned....

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 10:32 PM   #48
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
Did you actually park in a spot or behind someone? Looks to me like you parked on no-mans land and this dude did not see you in his mirrors because his car is high yours is a ute which would be much lower than his canopy.
Even so, who doesn't look to see what is behind you even when walking to your car? No excuse really.

Hope it gets sorted quickly Pearly

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 10:40 PM   #49
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

This is sickening. No respect for anybody elses property, I seriously hate the world we live in.
Those 2 sticky out things on the front doors are there for a reason, I believe they are called mirrors.

Mate if you can find out who owns the vehicle and their name you wont have a problem with your insurance. A picture of their vehicle and rego with any damage will be icing on the cake though.
I had a similar occurrence whilst at work. I used to run a Hardly Normal warehouse and noticed a ding in the tub of the ute. I watched the parking cameras back till i saw something suspicious. A woman opened her back door to squeeze a box into the rear seat caused the damage. I went back through my computer pickups to match a time on the camera and got a name. The video is nowhere near as clear as yours, infact you cant really tell the model or colour of the car and definitely no plates, hell it is not even 100% clear that was the offender. (it was as it was the only car to park next to me all day)
All I had was the camera footage, her name and the computers pickup time of her invoice. AAMI took the 3 and i got a call 2 days later confirming all was well. No excess and kept my no claims bonus.
The video footage clearly shows you are not at fault so your insurance cannot hold you accountable and if they cannot recover costs from the other party that is their problem, thats what you pay them for.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 10:44 PM   #50
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZA-289
I think you will find they did not see you car, have you tried reversing out of a dual cab 4x4 with a canopy lately?

That being said and although that does NOT look like a good place to park in any circumstances the driver is defiantly a ***** for driving off!
Surely the driver would have seen the ute before he even got in his car, so the "I couldn't see the almost 5 metre long vehicle behind me" excuse doesn't wash
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 11:06 PM   #51
fmc351
let it burn

Apparently even if you were parked illegally it doesnt matter (not saying you were), the car is stationary and solely the other drivers fault. I could be wrong, but that is my understanding of it.

You'd like to think it was an accident, Im not so sure. Looks like they saw your car, and misjudged at best. Look at the way they come out, the last bits are tentative.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 11:27 PM   #52
bluovl

Geez that is absolutely pathetic on the drivers behalf and I guess a sign of the times. When he stopped at the sound of the thud he obviously knew he had hit something.
I genuinely hope you get justice and can sort it out.
I feel for you.

Dale
69 Mustang Convertible
XA 351 Coupe
1965 Galaxie Convertible
2005 GT-P
AU XR6 Ute
bluovl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 11:56 PM   #53
mrfordfairmont
351 clevo

looking at the video he has a dent in the back on that side before he hit you (just see it in the video)

2004 territory ghia
click here for pics
work daily ke laser ghia RIP
click here for pics
Daily EF II fairmont wagon RIP
click here for pics
XD 351 clevo lowered
click here for pics

thanks to
p.e.a.c.h performance at stafford
http://www.peachperformance.com
mrfordfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2010, 01:17 AM   #54
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmon
I witnesses a bloke reverse into my car and it still didn't get me anywhere, he just flat out denied it, police were of no help
I had a cop (on duty) reverse into me car, and he tried to leave the scene (no note) when he thought i wasnt around.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2010, 01:41 AM   #55
samftr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

oh now see that is just plain rude, hope you got his details etc...

Felcen!
samftr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2010, 03:56 AM   #56
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Even so, who doesn't look to see what is behind you even when walking to your car? No excuse really.

Or continue to check for children or other pedestrians while reversing.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2010, 04:12 AM   #57
MexicanBatman
Banned

Dude also has a once dint in the left hand rear corner of his ute another identifying mark...

Visible at 12 and 27 seconds

Edit already mentioned above...
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2010, 04:54 AM   #58
Eleanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZA-289
I do it every day, often with the trailer attached too and it's seriously not that hard.

Hope you get it sorted Warren. As others have said, if it was a tradie or visitor to the school there will be a sign-in and sign-out book generally with times too so it shouldn't be difficult to establish who it was. Just hope they're decent about it, apologise and pay-up.

My AU2
Eleanor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2010, 07:56 AM   #59
dave289
Banned

yeh tell the headmaster ,he should get at least 2 weeks detention for that I reckon.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2010, 11:38 AM   #60
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyson_8238
Mate if you catch them let the cops know because a hit and run is quite a big offence especially in QLD
Knowing you did a hit and run is an offence. All this guy has to say when caught is 'woopsy, didn't know I hit him, had music blaring and my diesel truck idles like all buggery and shakes to hell when cold, very sorry, here's my insurance details.'

Would have been great if got out and walked around to have a closer look, or even wound down his window.

The driver knows they made contact. They will probably avoid taking the same car in for a while if they are a regular, or they may remove the canopy, racks etc to make their truck look different.

If you have a good relationship with the principal and it was a teachers car you will have the matter sorted. All teachers generally know each others cars.

Having said that, a Triton ute is generally not the weapon of choice for a chalky, and the fact they are leaving during school times (I'm assuming) means it's a visitor.

Could be a trades person (they would then need to sign in) or a rep / courier just dropping something off (no signing in, may never seen the ute again).

This happens all the time, especially when teachers need to park on the street. Several teachers I work with all have had their cars reversed / driven into by parents dropping off / picking up their kids.. The Festiva was driven into so hard the door and guard were mashed together and I needed to get in from the passenger side.

May cost you more in time chasing the person who did it. Let us know how it pans out.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post