Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-03-2022, 08:27 PM   #4351
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Geez! I hate that!

as much as I detest the whole ethos of Bunnings their only competition in town is Mitre 10 nice store but lacks stock and if you thought Bunnie staff were bad they these guys. holy moley jack.
Glad that we have a country/farming trading business in town, quality tools and stuff. i will happily pay extra for decent stuff.
Old 21-03-2022, 11:31 PM   #4352
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When it comes to plants Bunnings controls the supply chain. With regional stores years ago, the suppliers delivered directly to each store (at their cost), the seedling supplier, the general outdoors supplier, the tree supplier etc etc. the benefit of that is they could also deliver to other garden centres along the way, sharing the cost.
Then all plants went via a plant third party with a central delivery place in each state, and suddenly it wasn’t viable for growers to run trucks to the regions, forcing the independents to pay for their own freight. The tragedy is Bunnings prices on anything are a ****take, they are big enough to dictate what the market will pay, and suppliers are held over a barrel with a gun to their head.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 21-03-2022, 11:47 PM   #4353
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

There are some products I’ve seen in there (not nursery items) that baffle me as to how they got on the shelves at all, or in consistent quantity. One that sticks in my mind is washing machine hoses, premade - but the wall end fitting is for a US tap. The threads will never mate well enough to seal!
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-03-2022, 12:20 AM   #4354
ESPJG32

Ah Bunnings.....the Chinese Shop.....the chinese green shed.... their best price guarantee or beat it by 10% claim is useless....most of their stock is special buys from China...no one else has the same item.....a lot of the stuff they have is crap, especially fixings but a lot of other stuff as well....if people knew the mark ups they work on they would be astounded, I know of items that can be bought in China for $8.00 US and they sell it for $150.00 in Bunnings...so when they discount stuff they still make a killing.....good place to stay away from
ESPJG32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-03-2022, 05:53 PM   #4355
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
When it comes to plants Bunnings controls the supply chain. With regional stores years ago, the suppliers delivered directly to each store (at their cost), the seedling supplier, the general outdoors supplier, the tree supplier etc etc. the benefit of that is they could also deliver to other garden centres along the way, sharing the cost.
Then all plants went via a plant third party with a central delivery place in each state, and suddenly it wasn’t viable for growers to run trucks to the regions, forcing the independents to pay for their own freight. The tragedy is Bunnings prices on anything are a ****take, they are big enough to dictate what the market will pay, and suppliers are held over a barrel with a gun to their head.
I live in regional Victoria. The freight costs to have our stock delivered from our Melbourne based suppliers is significant. That cost is then passed onto the customers. It makes it hard to compete but also hard to explain why an identical plant sold in Melbourne (or Bunnings) is considerably more at our nursery.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-03-2022, 08:09 PM   #4356
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPJG32 View Post
Ah Bunnings.....the Chinese Shop.....the chinese green shed.... their best price guarantee or beat it by 10% claim is useless....most of their stock is special buys from China...no one else has the same item.....a lot of the stuff they have is crap, especially fixings but a lot of other stuff as well....if people knew the mark ups they work on they would be astounded, I know of items that can be bought in China for $8.00 US and they sell it for $150.00 in Bunnings...so when they discount stuff they still make a killing.....good place to stay away from
Hmmm this can be said for all the other hardware store brands!
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2022, 06:29 PM   #4357
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Getting towards the end of an epic “whenever” timing belt (etc) replacement that’s taken nearly ten weeks. Just drained and triple rinsed the cooling circuit, added chemical flush and water… Immobiliser fault - car won’t start!
Old 25-03-2022, 01:22 PM   #4358
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Further to my kvetching yesterday, companies who’ve removed the “everyday business” phone contact details from their websites and replaced with a web form and Captcha. Really un-handy when you are wanting to progress a job and there’s zero feedback on how long it may take to get an answer.

I suppose this will eventually creep to services currently rendered by dialling 000, one will have to fill in a web form and then click all the squares with bicycles/boats/wigwams in order to submit your request. Hopefully they will allow people to upload a picture of the emergency situation.
2 users like this post:
Old 26-03-2022, 04:41 PM   #4359
.:4:.
Kicking back

So yesterday. Im still good mates with my old manager. We catch up on a social level every couple of weeks still. I havent worked there for almost 2 years. So my mate calls me up and says 'i hate to ask you, but'. So he had a bloke on site, the building manager was getting annoyed as the bloke had been on site for hours but was asking questions not giving answers.
Anyrate, my old manager is a good personal friend of mine, so when told the issue i gave the answer. He called the bloke on site and then called me back for the social chat.
So im not annoyed about catching up with a good mate, but why is it people cannot do the job their paid for?
The only reason my mate asked me for advice is because the client is a big spender but is cut throat. A nice guy on a personal level, but at work, its more what the **** am i paying you for.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2022, 06:43 PM   #4360
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

At this time of the year, there is a strong, pungent smell outside that had me baffled as to what it was.

Well, I'm told it's a neighbor growing a crop of a certain type of grass that is ready for harvest.

I hate it, it absolutely stinks, tonight especially it has a strong chemical aroma to it, to the point where its stinking out the house too.

I feel like dobbing him in, same thing every year.
Mustang GT

Old 26-03-2022, 07:01 PM   #4361
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
At this time of the year, there is a strong, pungent smell outside that had me baffled as to what it was.

Well, I'm told it's a neighbor growing a crop of a certain type of grass that is ready for harvest.

I hate it, it absolutely stinks, tonight especially it has a strong chemical aroma to it, to the point where its stinking out the house too.

I feel like dobbing him in, same thing every year.
Years ago i lived next door to a pensioner who on the side sold a pungent style off grass. Her and i came to an agreement as i had a young child.
Old 26-03-2022, 09:55 PM   #4362
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Years ago i lived next door to a pensioner who on the side sold a pungent style off grass. Her and i came to an agreement as i had a young child.
Yeah, but what was the agreement?

2019 LDV G10
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 26-03-2022, 09:59 PM   #4363
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
Yeah, but what was the agreement?
Keep me supplied and I won’t tell anyone about your crop.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-03-2022, 12:43 AM   #4364
marty351
Shenanigans..............

She's a pensioner, so a percentage?
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2022, 12:21 PM   #4365
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
She's a pensioner, so a percentage?
Nah, it was just when sampling your stock close the windows that face my house.
That lady passed away about a decade ago. You definitely wouldnt pick an elderly polish lady as a dealer. You know, living in a pubic housing place, old age pension, walked with a cane etc.
2 users like this post:
Old 27-03-2022, 10:15 PM   #4366
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Nah, it was just when sampling your stock close the windows that face my house.
That lady passed away about a decade ago. You definitely wouldnt pick an elderly polish lady as a dealer. You know, living in a pubic housing place, old age pension, walked with a cane etc.
Yes, the little old lady outlaws live in plain sight.

2019 LDV G10
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 28-03-2022, 05:58 AM   #4367
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Not unexpected, still disappointing. Dogs being surrendered to shelters at a significant rate in Victoria, possibly other states as well. Another on-cost of measures enforced in “staying safe”.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/do...7-656113f3debd
Old 28-03-2022, 12:32 PM   #4368
marty351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Not unexpected, still disappointing. Dogs being surrendered to shelters at a significant rate in Victoria, possibly other states as well. Another on-cost of measures enforced in “staying safe”.

I still don't understand why we don't have basic licensing requirements for pet ownership.
Quite a few people I've come across wouldn't even know how to look after a goldfish let alone a cat or dog.
3 users like this post:
Old 28-03-2022, 01:14 PM   #4369
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post

I wish my neighbours would surrender their dogs. New one next door, big American Mastiff or something, 6.30 this morning, big woofs. Neighbour on the side, little black thing, yap yap all afternoon when they go out and lady at the back, some Samoi yapping dog the minute she leaves for work, finally stops about 10 o'clock.
My dog, not a peep out of her unless someone comes to the door. Even when we're out just lays around quietly (have cameras so can see what she gets up to).
2 users like this post:
Old 28-03-2022, 01:54 PM   #4370
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Quote:
I still don't understand why we don't have basic licensing requirements for pet ownership.
Quite a few people I've come across wouldn't even know how to look after a goldfish let alone a cat or dog.
I’d like to see a mandatory database that identified a domestic animal with a person, like car registration and with elements of the tenancy database. So you could track and identify the “offenders”.
Old 28-03-2022, 02:32 PM   #4371
marty351

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
I wish my neighbours would surrender their dogs. New one next door, big American Mastiff or something, 6.30 this morning, big woofs. Neighbour on the side, little black thing, yap yap all afternoon when they go out and lady at the back, some Samoi yapping dog the minute she leaves for work, finally stops about 10 o'clock.
My dog, not a peep out of her unless someone comes to the door. Even when we're out just lays around quietly (have cameras so can see what she gets up to).
More often than not it's pure boredom.

A friend of mine had Kelpie from a puppy and was always pulling clothes of the washing line and many other forms of mischief (especially pizzaring off the neighbours). My suggestion was to get some toys and bones and a decent walk around the river. Problem solved.
It helped that his family owned a property with sheep and chasing postie bikes all day; if only once a fortnight it was doggie heaven for him. But far too many inner city dwellers and suburbanites with little or no backyard insist on owning medium and large working dogs.
4 users like this post:
Old 28-03-2022, 06:17 PM   #4372
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
I would like to see similar licencing for having children.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 28-03-2022, 08:19 PM   #4373
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Since last Wednesday, have been battling a mystery electrical fault in the Italian daily. Today, the mongrel started straight away with no alarms, warnings, nothing. Once it had come to temperature, I shut it down. Would it restart? No - same old failure warnings. I hate that!

The positive takeaway from this, is that it can still run fine - if it wants to.
3 users like this post:
Old 30-03-2022, 06:55 PM   #4374
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

My workplace is not far from bushland, so its not unusual for snakes to appear from time to time.

Saturday, I had a baby tiger snake at my feet as I was going to turn on a tap. And today I also spotted one in the corner of my eye as I walked right past it. That's 5 baby tiger snakes found on the complex in the last couple of weeks, just hoping mother snake is long gone!
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 30-03-2022, 07:16 PM   #4375
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

do they compost well when dead?
Old 30-03-2022, 10:21 PM   #4376
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Ossie Ostrich is dead.
6 users like this post:
Old 31-03-2022, 03:32 PM   #4377
xkxlxm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Among (amongst?) all the rubbish I pick up, in the last two months I have seen a lot more e cigarettes. A few days ago I heard that students are using them at school.
xkxlxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2022, 10:58 AM   #4378
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
More often than not it's pure boredom.

A friend of mine had Kelpie from a puppy and was always pulling clothes of the washing line and many other forms of mischief (especially pizzaring off the neighbours). My suggestion was to get some toys and bones and a decent walk around the river. Problem solved.
It helped that his family owned a property with sheep and chasing postie bikes all day; if only once a fortnight it was doggie heaven for him. But far too many inner city dwellers and suburbanites with little or no backyard insist on owning medium and large working dogs.

I’m in the innerwest and see heaps of kelpies. Poor dogs. They just want to run

Best combo is a kelpie x jrt 6.5kg fully grown

IMG_0689.jpg
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2022, 11:19 PM   #4379
Kicking back

I don't drive my car every day, so the battery gets a bit sad. The battery isnt that old, its 18 months at the best.
Anyhow. Decided to pull it out today and slap it on the charger as cold starts were a bit slow.
Battery brace came off fine. Negative terminal, backed the 10mm bolt off, fine. Positive, tool free. The terminal was snapped. Battery was good reading 12.4v, put it on the charger for a bit anyways. But fiddle me de.
Battery back in, negative on good, positive sitting on there, car started. So a trip to get a new terminal. Long story short i did get something that does work, im not 100% happy about it, but what is the world coming to when parts for a bloody ford falcon are unobtainable. Like the radiatiator i got done a fortnight ago, apparently no one has a stock rad in stock. I got a thicker one put in as it was a quoted job for a stock radiater. Before anyone asks, a quote is for the end result. I gave no craps if the mechanics lost out on that deal.
Old 03-04-2022, 09:32 AM   #4380
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
Just found out there's no coming back from this one...

My mate passed on in his sleep early this morning.
Feeling lost, devastated...
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post