Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18-10-2021, 06:08 PM   #1
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Fuel price scam??

This happened over the weekend.

Drove past an independent that I don't usually frequent and saw 'premium diesel' for 147.9 cpl.

I pulled in, and started pumping from the regular diesel bowser (assuming it would be cheaper than the fancy stuff by a few cents).

Noticed it was actually 2cpl more than premium. I stopped pumping (only put in a few litres) and called over an attendant.

I said, mate, you got your prices on the pump mixed up I think. He went in and spoke to the cashier then came back and said yeah no worries he will charge you the lower price.

Filled her up and went to pay. The cashier insisted I pay the higher price. I said what station charges MORE for regular than premium? It's always the other way around. He said that they were running a promotion and discounting the premium diesel on that day.

I flipped my lid - I already had an argument with an Ebay mongrel the same morning trying to get my to pay delivery for an item that was 'accidently' listed for collection and now this.

He kept arguing that It was my fault for not reading the price on the bowser and that I should have asked for clarification. When I told him I did his response was 'that guy is an idiot, don't worry about what he says'.

Anyway, he kept going on about how I will be charged the full price and I didn't back down. The difference was only around $1 but it was the principal of the matter as I don't believe the 'premium cheaper than regular promotion' BS and I wasn't going to just shrug it off like everyone else did - if they even noticed at all?

He eventually relented and charged me the 'discounted' premium price (it should have been lower but a small win is better than none.

He kept telling me how I was ripping him off and that he made no profit on my purchase. I said you shouldn't be tricking customers into paying more for regular than premium diesel. He also told me not to come back, to which I gladly agreed to as I was walking out.

On the price billboard only 'premium diesel' was being advertised.

What do you guys think? 200 customers a day pumping regular diesel and being charged more than the premium stuff 'by accident' is a tidy little earner.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: