Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 17-12-2006, 08:47 PM   #1
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 
Talking Winton Fun Day Feedback

Well just got home about an hour ago from one awesome day!! i must say it felt weird when i first drove out onto the race track, i was pretty nervous as i've never done this before but let me tell you, it was so fun! :

my top speed was about 150km/h done the main straight and i was one of the slower cars on the track! there were some really fast cars out there. i really need to save my dollars and get extractors, cam ........ turbo!!!!

bit dissapointing that only 3 e-series members turned up, myself, malta and markTD. so what happened to everyone? well all's i can say is that you've missed out majorly!! :

there were also some nice cars there, an ED XR6 in Cobalt which was turbo'd and had modification plates in the engine bay so it's all legal! a damn fast BA GT racecar, man that was quick! also some nice mustangs and plenty of nissan skylines and silvias!

heres Myself and John by our cars!

so i'm proberly in need of some new rear tyres, most likely new brake pads, top up of coolent etc etc! oh an dont let me forget, EL Thermo Fans!!! nearly cooked it after giving it hell, lucky i checked the temp to find it just under the hot line!! so straight of the track for a while to let it cool down! must say tho first time i've come that close! i think thermos might work better and also take some strian of the motor as well as getting rid of that damn roar!

all in all a great day and defintly on my calendar for next time! :

Old 17-12-2006, 08:55 PM   #2
zebu

i was there in my white EL

it was the one with the lows, window tint and fairmont garnish on the back

was an awesome day
zebu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2006, 08:57 PM   #3
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

oh ok, did you see us with the club stickers? shoulda come said hi!
Old 17-12-2006, 08:59 PM   #4
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

You may find that next time the engine is getting rather hot, it's best to cruise around for a bit before pulling over and stopping ;)

Sounds like you guys had a great time, it's something I'd look forward to doing in the future.

Cheers
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2006, 08:59 PM   #5
EFFalcon
Last warning

Top stuff guys, i'm sorry i couldn't me it up in the end, i wasnt willing to risk taking my car so far from melbourne with the bottom end rattling away.
Glad you guys got to appreciate the day, i can't recommend it more.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2006, 09:00 PM   #6
EFFalcon
Last warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
You may find that next time the engine is getting rather hot, it's best to cruise around for a bit before pulling over and stopping ;)
You'd wanna get off the track though :P
Old 17-12-2006, 09:04 PM   #7
zebu

im pretty sure i saw you but didnt notice the stickers. actually i think i heard you comment loudly about the thermo fans when you came off :p

I was there with some guys from work as well

the pics i took are here http://www.k6plus.com/relay/winton/

i put in about 15 laps then got some shocking brake fade so figured it was time. The pedal is still all spongy so i probably boiled my brake fluid trying not to go tooooo fast into those damn corners up the back :evil3:
zebu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2006, 09:08 PM   #8
eb91xr6
V8 Ute V8 Boat

set your camber out further it will corner faster
125 Thumpster 2010
Swag
All set for the weekend
eb91xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2006, 09:14 PM   #9
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

thanks for the advice Ghia5L! i did a slow lap and came off, after i bit i turned the car on and let it rev at about 3 grand to blow some cool air into it, brought the temp straight down very quickly! as i said i've never done this before so i'm still learning the ropes!

thats too bad john! woulda been great to see your car there.

hahaha yeah that was me yelling out about the thermo fans, i couldnt beleive how quickly the temp rose! i had only done maybe 6-7 laps! but boy where they some hard laps!

my girlfriend was a bit scary and very nervous when she first came out!! as you would but by the second time she came out, which just so happened to be the laps i almost cooked it!, she was having a ball!! she was actually telling me to go faster and i replied with, "i cant, it's at max already!"
Old 17-12-2006, 09:16 PM   #10
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb91xr6
set your camber out further it will corner faster
yeah handling was a massive problem for me! my car is pretty much stock everything under the shell so corners were very hard! i wouldnt have a clue how to change the camber, its all stock remember exept the rear springs are pedders lows.
Old 17-12-2006, 09:25 PM   #11
malta123

just went and had a quick once over my car actually pulled up ok didn't use a drop of oil rear tyers are probably still road worthy brake peddels gone a bit spongee but hey who cares i had a ball the watched back the video your girlfriend wasnt ****ed when she filmed it was she got a heap grass and sky footage
malta123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2006, 09:30 PM   #12
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by malta123
just went and had a quick once over my car actually pulled up ok didn't use a drop of oil rear tyers are probably still road worthy brake peddels gone a bit spongee but hey who cares i had a ball the watched back the video your girlfriend wasnt ****ed when she filmed it was she got a heap grass and sky footage
hahaha yeah she said she was having trouble working out the zoom!hahaha! you'll have to get the video of it up mate, cant wait to see it on a full screen! havent gone over my car yet. the rear tyres still have plenty of tred left for a while yet, no idea about the brake pads!

how can i tell how much they've worn? is there a standard measurement i can take from the rotor or something?

hey john it was great to catch up with ya today, i had a ball!
Old 17-12-2006, 09:32 PM   #13
EFFalcon
Last warning

Bwhahahahahaha... sounds pretty much like mine, brakes copped it most, but they recovered after a few days.

how hot was it up there today?
Old 17-12-2006, 09:37 PM   #14
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

not sure of an actual temp but it was warm enough, we were in singlets as soon as we fell out of the car after a run! i'd say at least 30ish degrees.
Old 17-12-2006, 09:48 PM   #15
malta123

about 30 odd i think killer with a race suit and helmet almost turned on ac
Old 17-12-2006, 09:51 PM   #16
malta123

theres not really much video to post its pritty bad atleast she tried if more people turned up then maybe they would been able to film
Old 17-12-2006, 09:54 PM   #17
malta123

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradensEBxr6
hahaha yeah she said she was having trouble working out the zoom!hahaha! you'll have to get the video of it up mate, cant wait to see it on a full screen! havent gone over my car yet. the rear tyres still have plenty of tred left for a while yet, no idea about the brake pads!

how can i tell how much they've worn? is there a standard measurement i can take from the rotor or something?

hey john it was great to catch up with ya today, i had a ball!
just pull em off and have a look if they look stuffed they most likly are or just change em there cheap iv got ultimets in mine they seem ok but work alot better when there hot
Old 18-12-2006, 08:03 AM   #18
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Glad you guys had a great day, we enjoy putting it on. I was really pleased that nearly everybody behaved themseleves, it appears the late comers are the one to mis-behave a little.

Tch, tch, no video cameras you lot, but I glad have you got some reasonable footage, if you want better footage you are better off the fix the camera in the car somehow rather than having it hand held.

Oh and by the way the way, the E series looked great guys (coming from the owner of a EL Fairmont Ghia)

Big Trev (in the orange shirt)
Old 18-12-2006, 09:28 AM   #19
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Quote:
bit dissapointing that only 3 e-series members turned up, myself, malta and markTD.
PLUS kyro_02

^^^^^^^^^^ I went to winton with mark, I got sun burnt bad

big trev, where were you.. I couldn't see you anywhere? were you in any safety cars ?

I though the ford falcon rc was awsome... had so much power...!.... and the mustang's were hot as, a few skylines went on the track looking half decent , but coming off looking like a paddock basher :P
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2006, 10:54 AM   #20
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
You'd wanna get off the track though :P
Yeah, wouldn't want any Rick Kellys giving a love tap from behind!

Then again rear bars are pretty tuff... :monkes:
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2006, 11:19 AM   #21
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

thanks Trev about the e-series cars! also a BIG BIG thanks for organizing the day and running everything, along with everyone else who helped checked cars, run the kiosk, people in the office etc, absolute awesome day!

also Trev we didnt have the camera in the car, my girlfriend was standing on the grassy section with the camera but she hasnt done ANY video recording before so she was a bit wobbly and got confused with the zoom!

john was gonna tape the camera to the headrest but i think we forgot about it! DAMN!!
Old 18-12-2006, 10:50 PM   #22
mark_TD
XR6 Turbo FTW

Well what a dissapointing turn out this event was. What happened to the eseries spirit? Anyway I had a great time running the EB on the track. My top speed was also 150km down the straight, was a top day this time despite getting sun burnt. Thanks to John (Malta123), and Braden (BradensEBxr6) for their attendance, it was great to meet others from country Vic. Just like you guys I was a little nervous and it was only with ur support that i decided to go out because those cars were very quik and i had only had the car for just over a week and was not sure how she would handle, but she was good out there i am rather happy with the performance as a workhorse. Bring on January. Hope to see MORE attendees next time as it was a fun exciting day

Mark
Blueprint, 19" FG2 XR6 Luxo Rims, Momo Steering Wheel, XR8 Bonnet Buldge, Full Leather, 3.7 Typhoon Diff Gears, Force Lip Spoiler, De-badged, Ghia Boot Garnish, Pedders Adjustable Coil- Overs And Camber Kit

96 EL XR6 - (Daily)
Gunmetal Grey, 19" Typhoon Copies, Tickford Body Kit, Pedders Sports Ryders With Shortened Shocks And Camber Kit, Full S/S Difilipo Exhaust With Matching Extractors

mark_TD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2006, 10:54 PM   #23
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
big trev, where were you.. I couldn't see you anywhere? were you in any safety cars ?
How could you miss me? I was the one in the ORANGE hi-vis shirt letting the cars onto the track, waving all the flags and generally running everything. :
Old 18-12-2006, 10:58 PM   #24
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
also Trev we didnt have the camera in the car, my girlfriend was standing on the grassy section with the camera but she hasnt done ANY video recording before so she was a bit wobbly and got confused with the zoom!

john was gonna tape the camera to the headrest but i think we forgot about it! DAMN!!
No worries, glad you guys had a great time, it was a bit hot though, particularly standing where I was, no rest for the wicked though. :
Old 19-12-2006, 10:54 AM   #25
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

nah you did great trev!

hey mark i bet your glad you gave it a shot! we told ya you'd be fine! wow cant beleive you hit 150km/h too!! my car was only just getting there! maybe theres something wrong with my engine! :( well as you said BRING ON JANUARY!
Old 19-12-2006, 06:48 PM   #26
malta123

if you had enough time to look at the speedo then you wernt going hard enough its about lap times not top speed
Old 19-12-2006, 06:50 PM   #27
EFFalcon
Last warning

Hahahah, i noticed the same thing, i wasnt paying attention to top speed so didnt really notice what i was doing down the straights.
Hopefully the next one in january will get a few more eseries to it, i'll deffinately be lookin to get to it.
Old 19-12-2006, 07:40 PM   #28
malta123

well have to get out together braden couldn't keep up with a automatic fairmont in his manual xr his words not mine" you would have lapped me"
Old 20-12-2006, 09:34 PM   #29
mark_TD
XR6 Turbo FTW

Quote:
nah you did great trev!

hey mark i bet your glad you gave it a shot! we told ya you'd be fine! wow cant beleive you hit 150km/h too!! my car was only just getting there! maybe theres something wrong with my engine! :( well as you said BRING ON JANUARY!

Braden,
I was glad that i gave it a shot and i am thankful that you guys were there otherwise I don't think I would have done it alone. It was so much fun but harsh on the 4 speed. My EB is still new with only 120k on it and it is a freak, but I don't think ur car is sick. It looked and did great. We all did.
Blueprint, 19" FG2 XR6 Luxo Rims, Momo Steering Wheel, XR8 Bonnet Buldge, Full Leather, 3.7 Typhoon Diff Gears, Force Lip Spoiler, De-badged, Ghia Boot Garnish, Pedders Adjustable Coil- Overs And Camber Kit

96 EL XR6 - (Daily)
Gunmetal Grey, 19" Typhoon Copies, Tickford Body Kit, Pedders Sports Ryders With Shortened Shocks And Camber Kit, Full S/S Difilipo Exhaust With Matching Extractors

mark_TD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2006, 10:47 PM   #30
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Trev
How could you miss me? I was the one in the ORANGE hi-vis shirt letting the cars onto the track, waving all the flags and generally running everything. :
... ahh I seen you then.. I wasn't sure on faces cause all officials were a fair distance from the canteen area,, but I did see you then
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post