Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-05-2010, 03:15 PM   #1
Den76
Phantom cruiser

Default Employment with AQIS ????

Does anyone here work within the AQIS?
How hard is it to get into?
Do they prefer any qualifications or experience?

Looking for a career change

Any info would be helpful

Den

Den76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2010, 08:50 PM   #2
deanp100

Hey mate, I worked for AQIS in QLD for 16 years with a lot of secondments to Canberra. It was a great life for the first decade but the face of AQIS changed from a big family to just another govt dept. I did a lot of hiring and in the 90's agricultural qualifications were essential. That produced some really great inspectors. This slowly drifted to desirable but not essential, then on to no quals needed but it would help. It is probably down to completely un-related qualifications desirable but not essential. However with any govt interview session, there will be thousands of applicants, hundreds of interviews for several positions. You have to stand out from the crowd so knowledge and experience may just do it. When I interviewed I put a lot of weight on an attempt to find out about the service before the interview and I loved agricultural qualifications and country boys and girls. We used to employ in packs rather than occasional single vacancies. You would be starting on the bottom but it is still a great life. Lots of overseas travel opportunities to work up to. I went OS a lot. I continually compare it to when it was run by the state ag depts and those were the days. Please don't put too much weight on what you see on TV. Only the ********* get filmed for Border Patrol. The airport baggage is a tiny portion of the job.
Let me know of you need anything else.
cheers
deanp100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2010, 09:54 PM   #3
EBII Ghia

My brother works for AQIS, time split between the airport and the wharves.
He worked in a International hotel chain for many years before moving to AQIS, so no formal quals there, except customer service.
EBII Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post