Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 24-04-2008, 01:58 PM   #1
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default global warming myth or fact ? the new ice age

just cam accross this http://www.bigpond.com/news/technolo...24/2225980.asp and it raises some questions about global warming. will driving our cars more protect against an ice age if so bring on the 7 litre super cars like the Boss 777 engine in the FG ( http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182...+they+say+2009...!)? lets face it scientists have been wron before and I have always felt global warming was a largly natural event. the earth goes through cycles of temperature extremes. now I don't want to see this become a rant but inteligent input is welcome. also please keep your replys non political or this thread will end up like many others, closed

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
Old 24-04-2008, 05:14 PM   #2
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

While it does appear to be a cyclical event, going by statistics of greenhouse gasses in our atmosphere and the current trend, I certainly think we're helping the cycle along more than just a tad.

I'm not quite convinced of the doom and gloom ramifications in the long term by the extra pollutants in our atmosphere but it certainly can't be helping. Just like a smoker will tell you there's no definitive proof that smoking kills.
Old 24-04-2008, 05:15 PM   #3
mikestp
EF Ghia

Global warming doesnt exist, it was invented by toyota so that people would buy the prius
Old 24-04-2008, 05:19 PM   #4
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Global Warming has happened on a large scale before so I don't see the need for all the current scare campaigns. I mean really if the Earth had never warmed before what ended the last Ice Age?
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 24-04-2008, 05:19 PM   #5
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Double post
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 24-04-2008, 07:15 PM   #6
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Global Warming has happened on a large scale before so I don't see the need for all the current scare campaigns. I mean really if the Earth had never warmed before what ended the last Ice Age?
Exactly. Doesn't matter whether the world warms or not, the whole human race is doomed anyway, whether that be by asteroid, ice age or catastrophic natural disaster. Its just a matter of when, could be tomorrow, could be in 10,000 years time. Just look at the dinosaurs.

Can't help but think of the Tool song Anaema. "Mums gunna fix it all soon, put it back the way it outta be", referring to Mother Nature.
Old 24-04-2008, 07:18 PM   #7
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

This is why i didn't by in to the 'Almist' or 'trendy' Global warming fad, because there is no definant proof that we are causing harm to the earths temperature (for sustable human life) We whould be concentrating more on helping hungry people for example, rather then spending millons on "cooling the globe" because its the latest, coolest thing to do.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 24-04-2008, 08:31 PM   #8
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Pretty sure that over the last few years the earths average temperatures have actually dropped slightly anyway, this whole global warming thing is a crock. Ice levels in Antartica have been reported as actually being bigger too.
Old 24-04-2008, 08:47 PM   #9
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Global warming, i wish i come up with that idea and marketed it, id be a multi billionaire......

Biggest con job, and best way for the spin doctors to make plenty!!

Also plenty idiots to help feed them..
Old 24-04-2008, 08:52 PM   #10
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by philstoj
Global warming, i wish i come up with that idea and marketed it, id be a multi billionaire......

Biggest con job, and best way for the spin doctors to make plenty!!

Also plenty idiots to help feed them..
yup I agree Phil

Sure I do believe pollution has contributed to our environment, but the amount of stories and theries that get bandied about it seems like the scientific geeks are have a contest with one another about the latest "in" theory

It's like listening to the boy who cried bloody wolf!
Old 24-04-2008, 08:59 PM   #11
tufLTD
tufLTD

They say that global warming will caused the polar ice caps to melt & sea levels to rise.
But here's my question. Doesn't water expand when frozen? Therefore, if the ice caps melt, wouldn't the sea levels drop?
Old 24-04-2008, 09:00 PM   #12
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
yup I agree Phil

Sure I do believe pollution has contributed to our environment, but the amount of stories and theries that get bandied about it seems like the scientific geeks are have a contest with one another about the latest "in" theory

It's like listening to the boy who cried bloody wolf!
Its all in the funding for them mate, and the lack of it, but if they scare the pants off everyone with all these scary stories, they certainly will get the extra funding, by the barrow load...

I wonder how the govt pays for it.
Old 24-04-2008, 09:07 PM   #13
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by philstoj
Its all in the funding for them mate, and the lack of it, but if they scare the pants off everyone with all these scary stories, they certainly will get the extra funding, by the barrow load...

I wonder how the govt pays for it.
With our tax money?

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 24-04-2008, 09:08 PM   #14
burnz
VFII SS UTE

i think g/warming is fact, their is evidence co2 is a lot higher from man.
that said the same nerd's allso said that car's produce lessthan 3% total.
Old 24-04-2008, 09:10 PM   #15
PHATXR8
PHATXR8

A drop in temperature for 2007 by 0.7 degrees isn't a trend........ the trend over the past 35 years has been a substantial increase in temperatures.

Anyone who thinks that global warming is a crock is certainly living with their head stuck firmly where the sun doesn't shine!
Old 24-04-2008, 09:14 PM   #16
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufLTD
They say that global warming will caused the polar ice caps to melt & sea levels to rise.
But here's my question. Doesn't water expand when frozen? Therefore, if the ice caps melt, wouldn't the sea levels drop?
no ice float's and most of it is on land.
Old 24-04-2008, 09:23 PM   #17
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHATXR8

Anyone who thinks that global warming is a crock is certainly living with their head stuck firmly where the sun doesn't shine!
I think its the other way around, 70% of people who are concerned about "Global warming" are so because they have heard its "bad" and "true" buy the media, they have little knowledge, other then what the see from the papers and from the politicians spin speeches. While there is a degree of truth about mans impact on the earth’s temperature via CO2, i think the greatest harm is the globalisation, the way urban sprawl is continuing, deforestation. Etc, if we concentrate purely on the trend of "Global warming" and "climate change" we won't address the real issues.

People are so confused they think that we need desal and what not because of the global warming? What about population increases an inefficient water use.

It (the temperature rise) can't be attributed to "global warming" alone (the earth's orbit also causes temperature fluctuations) and there have been higher temperatures recorded since records have been kept. And that’s just from kept records...

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 24-04-2008, 09:23 PM   #18
tufLTD
tufLTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
no ice float's and most of it is on land.
It floats because it expands when frozen, weighing less than liquid water but occupying more area. Less than 10% of an iceberg is above water.
As for ice on land, it accounts for way less than 1% of the total water volume on earth. If it all melted, most would be captured in lakes & inland seas and that which made it to the ocean would account for 3/5ths of FA of the total water volume. Would this really raise the sea levels by metres?
Old 24-04-2008, 09:27 PM   #19
3vXT

Not sure about the rest of the planet but Newcastle, NSW could benefit with a bit of global warming right now. I am freezing.
Old 24-04-2008, 09:27 PM   #20
RATT
In a Pug..

Global warming is fact, the reasons why are a myth.

It is a natural event that has occured for millions of years. Any one who thinks that our existance has, or is causing it needs to see the facts.

There is a great doco on the who thing called "The great global warming swindle". Most DVD shops have it. It actually has a scientific point of view on the whole topic, rather than having an also ran ex-politician talking about it. It is worth the effort finding it as it shows how there are many factors that influence rises and falls in temperature, not what we have been mislead to think.
http://www.greatglobalwarmingswindle.com/
Old 24-04-2008, 09:30 PM   #21
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT

It is a natural event that has occured for millions of years. Any one who thinks that our existance has, or is causing it needs to see the facts.
well said!

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 24-04-2008, 09:33 PM   #22
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT

There is a great doco on the who thing called "The great global warming swindle". Most DVD shops have it. It actually has a scientific point of view on the whole topic, rather than having an also ran ex-politician talking about it. It is worth the effort finding it as it shows how there are many factors that influence rises and falls in temperature, not what we have been mislead to think.
http://www.greatglobalwarmingswindle.com/
yeah iv'e seen that but their studdy's stoped at 1982 and not showing present trend.
Old 24-04-2008, 09:38 PM   #23
KenLee
supercarclub.com.au

I think it's bollocks.
Old 24-04-2008, 09:42 PM   #24
Bobman
Regulator

Without going into the debate of global warming, fact or fiction.

Has anyone looked outside their narrow view that the impact of pollution is NOT just climate change? Eh?

Ever considered the disgusting particles that clog our air, the air we breath. No wonder so many people suffer from asthma and other breathing related illnesses.

Fumes, oil, petrol, smoke. It's all disgusting. It's a GOOD thing that Governments are trying to reduce this.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Old 24-04-2008, 09:49 PM   #25
RATT
In a Pug..

Quote:
yeah iv'e seen that but their studdy's stoped at 1982 and not showing present trend
But scientific facts don't have a time limit!
Old 24-04-2008, 10:02 PM   #26
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
this is what friends and i have been saying for a couple of years,
if ice all melts then sea should drop by a few inch's, the really amazing thing is we were told sea levals could rise by a foot or so and this would effect quite a lots of places that are only a foot or so above sea,yet in last few months this has turned into a few meters,come on media and self interested scientists how has itgone from a foot or two to a couple of meters in the last year.
what we really have to worry about is the sea temp and flow directions of thermal currents,that are affected greatly by huge forests of trees being mowed down by the week which results in huge storms
Old 24-04-2008, 10:13 PM   #27
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

The ice is floating on the water or in the case of much of Antartica a land mass.
Old 24-04-2008, 10:32 PM   #28
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Global Warming's a Myth ... Chuck Norris got cold, so he turned the Sun up!
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
Old 24-04-2008, 10:49 PM   #29
gz1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Quite right, however as Ice floats, the expanded part stays above the water.
Try this experiment: Get a bowl filled with water and ice. Mark the level of the water. Wait for the ice to melt. See the level has not changed one bit.
Old 24-04-2008, 11:42 PM   #30
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by gz1
Quite right, however as Ice floats, the expanded part stays above the water.
Try this experiment: Get a bowl filled with water and ice. Mark the level of the water. Wait for the ice to melt. See the level has not changed one bit.
next time you pour a drink put some ice cube's in and see how much displacement their is.
Closed Thread