Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 12-04-2011, 02:18 PM   #151
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Default Re: TDCI Focus

To change the subject, I emailed European Parts to find out if they had an aluminium gear knob for the TDCi with lift up reverse and this is the response I got:

Hi

please see here:

http://www.european-parts.net/catalo...roducts_id=367

choose your correct version.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Best regards

Sascha Mayer

Extremely unhelpful I might add, the option I'm thinking it may be is the "6 speed with actuator". But what the heck is an actuator? I've tried googling and found zero. The knob would have to be a shorter version I image to leave room for the reverse lever, they are nowhere so I also think it may not exist..

Am thinking about the LED tailights as well, but not sure about what they actually look like.

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Bluefin Remap - K&N Apollo CAI - 2.5" Turbo-back Straight Pipe - 24mm Rear Sway bar - LT Zetec Bodykit - Black Projector Head Lights - LED Tail lights - DMB Overlays - Alloy Pedals - Scuff Plates - Sports Gear Knob - LV XR5 Springs - LV XR5 Wheels - Pirelli P-Zero Nero
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2011, 07:12 PM   #152
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

They werent too helpful when I asked about the Code:RED stuff, they have two things there for sale, the unit that plugs in through the OBDII port and flashes it, then some other one which plugs to the ECU i think.

Code:RED themselves didnt ecen reply to my email.

Also we did the bonnet latch yesterday, what a total bastard that was.

Has anyone here got a KN Panel filter on their TDCI? I'd like to do that for our next step to try compliment our makeshift cold air induction, lol.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 12-04-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2011, 09:43 PM   #153
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Is our filter the circular one? I might order it from EP depending on shipping costs, also anyone know of a workshop in Victoria who fits and stocks diesel power moduals? They're remappable right? Not just a plug-in reflash like Bluefin and Code:RED?

I'm also interested in getting my hands on another airbox for some testing without butchering mine
Old 17-04-2011, 05:48 PM   #154
Chicka

Smile Re: TDCI Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Is our filter the circular one? I might order it from EP depending on shipping costs, also anyone know of a workshop in Victoria who fits and stocks diesel power moduals? They're remappable right? Not just a plug-in reflash like Bluefin and Code:RED?

I'm also interested in getting my hands on another airbox for some testing without butchering mine
Hey Big Damo...Old Chicka here from Cairns. I have the KN Panel Filter fitted to my TDCI. It is the large cylinder style filter.KN Part # E-2993. At the time, I was unable to locate one easily in Australia,so I got mine on Ebay ex the UK.It was about $ 140.00 from memory, and here within a week.Cheers mate
Chicka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2011, 08:41 PM   #155
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is the cheapest I could find after a quick search.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/K-N-H...#ht_4080wt_952

I'm also interested in what people think of the Pipercross filter (this is the cheapest for this one after a quick search).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PIPERcgi.CROSS...#ht_1235wt_905

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.

Last edited by In Focus; 17-04-2011 at 08:46 PM.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2011, 09:02 PM   #156
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicka
Hey Big Damo...Old Chicka here from Cairns. I have the KN Panel Filter fitted to my TDCI. It is the large cylinder style filter.KN Part # E-2993. At the time, I was unable to locate one easily in Australia,so I got mine on Ebay ex the UK.It was about $ 140.00 from memory, and here within a week.Cheers mate
Haha Chicka, hadn't heard back from you since just before the cyclone in Cairns the news played up as the equivilent to a nuclear attack.

Thought you died ... only jk.

Chicka, you also have the diesel power chip right? Hows that going for you? Also how much did it cost? Is that remappable as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus
This is the cheapest I could find after a quick search.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/K-N-H...#ht_4080wt_952

I'm also interested in what people think of the Pipercross filter (this is the cheapest for this one after a quick search).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PIPERcgi.CROSS...#ht_1235wt_905
Thanks for that mate

Anyone here see any performance benefits from it or a better induction noise?

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 17-04-2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old 18-04-2011, 05:21 PM   #157
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Damo, with an exposed pod filter the intake sound is very loud and before the bluefin made about a 10% increase in performance as an estimate with a few other airflow adjustments. I think just changing the filter in the stock airbox will make little to no difference as it is extremely restrictive.

I've just ordered a Code:Red filter system, as my current setup is not actually 'Allowed'.

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Bluefin Remap - K&N Apollo CAI - 2.5" Turbo-back Straight Pipe - 24mm Rear Sway bar - LT Zetec Bodykit - Black Projector Head Lights - LED Tail lights - DMB Overlays - Alloy Pedals - Scuff Plates - Sports Gear Knob - LV XR5 Springs - LV XR5 Wheels - Pirelli P-Zero Nero
Old 18-04-2011, 06:11 PM   #158
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel
Damo, with an exposed pod filter the intake sound is very loud and before the bluefin made about a 10% increase in performance as an estimate with a few other airflow adjustments. I think just changing the filter in the stock airbox will make little to no difference as it is extremely restrictive.

I've just ordered a Code:Red filter system, as my current setup is not actually 'Allowed'.
Oh ok, yeah I was looking at that Code:RED filter system, keep us up to date on that and how hard it is to install, I wanted to keep the KN Filter in the stock airbox, but if thats too restrictive (I noticed the intake pipe hole is like 3cm wide by about 2cm tall?) like you say it is, same filter system it is for me.
Old 25-04-2011, 09:25 PM   #159
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Was talking to a workmate today, we're thinking of trying to make our own airbox out of aluminium, anyone have rough dimensions of the factory airbox?

Also does anyone know how the factory airbox comes out of the car?

Thanks much.
Old 25-04-2011, 09:48 PM   #160
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Was talking to a workmate today, we're thinking of trying to make our own airbox out of aluminium, anyone have rough dimensions of the factory airbox?

Also does anyone know how the factory airbox comes out of the car?

Thanks much.
Beyond my pitiful capabilities, unfortunately.

But I came across an idea somewhere on the Interweb of getting reflective tape or something similar to attach to the surface of the airbox facing the filter. The idea being that it will reflect heat away that would otherwise be absorbed by the plastic. Worth a thought?

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 10:38 PM   #161
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus
Beyond my pitiful capabilities, unfortunately.

But I came across an idea somewhere on the Interweb of getting reflective tape or something similar to attach to the surface of the airbox facing the filter. The idea being that it will reflect heat away that would otherwise be absorbed by the plastic. Worth a thought?
Hehe, it shouldn't be too hard just to make up an aluminium box, using my highly awesome skills, I have made a very detailed diagram of what we plan on doing:

Obviously there is going to be somewhere for the air to get into the airbox (oops left that out) and the filter will be closer towards the pipe that goes to the turbo, baffles are going to be in there so that the air just goes from the intake tube right to the filter, rather than hit the edges of the box and eventually find its way there, it might only be a little bit, but every little bit helps

I just hope without the factory airbox in there, it frees up enough space to do something like this. I might have to get a smaller pod filter to enclose in there rather than the big cylinder KN filter.
Old 25-04-2011, 11:07 PM   #162
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

big Damo
I think you are a mechanic.
My TDCI at 50km/hr has steering wheel moving off centre an inch or so each way same around 70-80 yet at 110 km/hr its steady.
I do have a couple of out of round tyres on it and balancing does not stop this steering play.
Is the play a steering issue or is it just the out of round tyres causing this flutter?
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2011, 10:57 AM   #163
Turbodiesel
Torquer

I pulled out the factory airbox among other bits. It's quite simple, it's just screwed onto some mounting points around the edges. Take the cover off first and then go from there, my original filter was so dodgy I was surprised it was getting any air at all.

This is a pic with the cover off, I've since removed the whole box and the intake pipe.

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Old 26-04-2011, 05:13 PM   #164
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino
big Damo
I think you are a mechanic.
My TDCI at 50km/hr has steering wheel moving off centre an inch or so each way same around 70-80 yet at 110 km/hr its steady.
I do have a couple of out of round tyres on it and balancing does not stop this steering play.
Is the play a steering issue or is it just the out of round tyres causing this flutter?
Used to be an apprentice mechanic, got out while the getting was good

As in steering to centre position but the car pulls towards left or right?

Turbo Diesel, not much room to play with there, so there is no airbox there at all anymore?

This is going to be challenging, tiny amount of room.
Old 26-04-2011, 06:42 PM   #165
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Nope, took it all out along with that restrictive intake rubbish behind the grill. The filter actually gets air directly from the front of the car now, not through a thin pipe from the engine bay.

There is actually a lot of space below the airbox, heaps in fact. That's why you'd mount a CAI vertically instead of horizontally. Don't know why you'd want to go through all that effort when there are plenty of good ones out there damo!

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Old 26-04-2011, 07:22 PM   #166
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Damo
car doesnt pull either way just the steering plays/flutters an inch or two off centre- must be the out of round tyres?
Old 26-04-2011, 07:51 PM   #167
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Damo
car doesnt pull either way just the steering plays/flutters an inch or two off centre- must be the out of round tyres?
At 100km/h on my first LV Focus (R.I.P) the steering wheel would "wobble" left/right on harsh surfaces, but the current one doesn't.

I guess it might be tyres as I have the exact same car now and it doesn't do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel
Nope, took it all out along with that restrictive intake rubbish behind the grill. The filter actually gets air directly from the front of the car now, not through a thin pipe from the engine bay.

There is actually a lot of space below the airbox, heaps in fact. That's why you'd mount a CAI vertically instead of horizontally. Don't know why you'd want to go through all that effort when there are plenty of good ones out there damo!
Interesting, the plan would be a aluminium box with an intake pipe going to the upper front grille to the filter, it looks like its going to have to be a rectangle though.

Mainly just to be a bit different, plus we haven't seen anyone with the off the shelf items in their car yet (curious as to if LHD/RHD cars are different) and ease of installation.
Old 27-04-2011, 06:03 PM   #168
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Bit of a setback today, replaced all my headlights and highbeams with Phillips Xtremevision +80s, except that the main beams seem to suck *** compared to the stock lights, I'll have to check if they're sitting in the housing properly and i didnt accidentally touch the globe.

There seemed to be dark spots and the lights would only illuminate about 20m in front of the car.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:19 AM   #169
rustyo2000
Starter Motor

I've had my TDCi for a few weeks now and I have to say I am very impressed with the way it drives and the economy is fantastic. I am getting from 5.5 to 5.7 average depending on where I go. I live in the country so about 95% is highway driving but when I'm in the suburbs I don't exactly take it easy on the pedals. I would recommend the Focus TDCi to anybody. Also my other cars have always been Falcons. And I still prefer to drive my Focus for economy and it's zippy in traffic too. The torque is brilliant when you hit about 1800 rpm.I got 850klms out of the last tank so it saves me about 40 dollars a week in fuel so it's definatly fuel efficient.
rustyo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2011, 12:56 AM   #170
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Thats good to hear, Kilmore ey, a local near me I also live in the Macedon Ranges.

I fixed my light issues, the globes werent sitting properly in the housings.... Oops!
Old 01-05-2011, 10:32 AM   #171
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Shame about the log book 60000km service -$530!!!
Currently using the petrol focus on the 750km/week commute and tossed the TDCI at the wife who only does 400km a week round the suburbs.(to hold off paying the $530)
TDCI doing 6.2 round town air con on a lot stop start very good, petrol focus did 8.8 on same work.
However the petrol focus is doing 6.3 on the long commute not bad at all running on 95.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:56 AM   #172
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Mines going in for its complimentary service tomorrow, lets see what they have to say about warranty and my driving lights. Or if they smash them off parking the car. If they do, I'm going to smash $600 worth of teeth out of their mouths.

I don't plan on servicing my car through Ford dealerships, I'm going to use my local mechanics who do log book servicing What I'll do is buy genuine Ford parts though.

Whats involved in the 60,000km service? Look on the bright side, lucky you don't own a Honda, $700 services come every 40,000km
Old 01-05-2011, 03:16 PM   #173
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont use Ford dealers-apart from the 3000km.
The 60000 service is a B service which occurs each 60000kms.
extras over A service
-Renew induction air filter element
-Renew diesel fuel filter
-Brakes-thorough check
-ECU self test...? How does the independent non Ford guy do this?

I use that fixedpriceservice.com.au website to check the guy I use is price competitive, I trust him so if he is within $60 I,m not fussed. I would rather have the car done right than have it done by teh cheapest and fail on the side of the road.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:02 PM   #174
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
I dont use Ford dealers-apart from the 3000km.
The 60000 service is a B service which occurs each 60000kms.
extras over A service
-Renew induction air filter element
-Renew diesel fuel filter
-Brakes-thorough check
-ECU self test...? How does the independent non Ford guy do this?

I use that fixedpriceservice.com.au website to check the guy I use is price competitive, I trust him so if he is within $60 I,m not fussed. I would rather have the car done right than have it done by teh cheapest and fail on the side of the road.
The only difficult thing there would be the fuel filter as you need to bleed out the air of the fuel lines when you replace it.

ECU self test, if they have a scan tool, they just hook it up to the OBDII port and get it to check for any error codes and check that all systems fucntion correctly.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:05 PM   #175
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Are the XR5T and TDCI intercoolers the same item?
Old 14-05-2011, 10:02 PM   #176
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Also noticed my window lock switch doesn't work, it won't light up or lock the windows when you press it.
Old 19-05-2011, 07:25 PM   #177
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Whats the go with the steering settings in the menu? I noticed it was set to comfort, does changing it really affect anything?
Old 21-05-2011, 01:38 AM   #178
pugdriver
Starter Motor

Hey Big Damo, which menu are you talking about? The menu you access with the left hand stalk, or some service techs menu?
pugdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2011, 09:46 PM   #179
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugdriver
Hey Big Damo, which menu are you talking about? The menu you access with the left hand stalk, or some service techs menu?
left hand stalk, menu in there.
Old 22-05-2011, 02:04 PM   #180
timace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicka
As for performance, I fitted a DP ( Diesel Power) chip, available from Berrima Diesel in NSW.( and a K&N Air Filter) Goes bloody hard mate !!!
Chicka, I know I'm quoting a rather old post, but how much did the DP chip set you back? I'm interested in getting more power out of my LV MkI TDCi... and Berrima is only an hour or so away from me.