Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 24-10-2006, 12:32 AM   #1
newfocusman
Starter Motor

Angry Focus Woes

i hope someone can help, but i have an feb06 build Pure Silver LS LX hatch, this last friday, i was cruising along the freeway in the fastlane with cruise on (as you do) but when i came to disengage cruise (b/c of a new speed limit) the little red light came on accompanied with beeping and the imformaton centre readout displayed -engine management fault. WOW i here you say BUT, the car immediatley lost power and i thought it would be in 'limp home mode' allowing me to accelerate, but no- it died. all with a semi just a couple of car lengths behind with no right hand shoulder- so forced and immediate left accross 3 lanes to get to shoulder where it coughed and spluttered and stopped.

Ford cannot find a fault and have 'sent request to HO' is the response. i feel it is unsafe and put me into a clear danger zone.

AS well i am told it is quiet common for this model to be hard to start on occassion, which mine has 4 times. apparently it is on the fix list within FORD. Apparently it already appears in updated manual for the car (pg 114)- so it is a known fault.
i find this unacceptable for a 6 month old car with 10,000klm on the clock.

it has now just started to exibit the creaks as it goes over he driveway, speedhumps. it just the suspension or something else

newfocusman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2006, 04:43 AM   #2
Forest Bear

I had a similar fright once at about 2k on the odo. It was 3 am, cold. I had it on cruise control at 70km/h. Then as it was climbing a hilly section the same thing you described happened.

The engine warning light came on, the revs dropped below 500rpm, the digital read out says "reduce power mode" or something like that. I stopped over the side of the road. Turned everything off, waited for a minute and started it and off I went on my merry way. It has not done it again since. I haven't had any troubles starting my car.

August 2005 build, LS Zetec.
Forest Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2006, 10:24 AM   #3
zetecboy

I hate cruise control that much that I refuse to use it!
zetecboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2006, 12:44 PM   #4
BlackLS

I had the problem a similar problem, but only in slight loss of power, no stalling. See LS Focus Fault Register. It was the electronic throttle. It would do it on mine cruise or no cruise about 10 times a 50km trip.

By the stalling you may have a crook fuel pump which isn't helping.

Perhaps you may need to go to another dealer if your current one isn't helping it too much
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2006, 10:01 PM   #5
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

The creaking is pretty normal going up driveways
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2006, 11:43 PM   #6
Blue_ST170

Well i dont even get cruise control on my car so never had the problem.....did it start ok after that or u had to get towed????

Saving for: cat-back exhaust
Blue_ST170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2006, 02:04 AM   #7
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine doesn't creek going up anything.
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2006, 09:38 AM   #8
photn
AFF Post NAZI

myne is german its good.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2006, 10:57 AM   #9
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
myne is german its good.
Except its a Fiesta..
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2006, 11:10 AM   #10
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
Except its a Fiesta..
opps my bad......is the cruze control thing something to be really concerned about...has it happened to many other drivers/cars. maybee it has to do with the onboard computer.....

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2006, 12:04 PM   #11
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Default Focus Woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieoter
Mine doesn't creek going up anything.
Thats probably because you're car has basically had a firewall foward reconstruction
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
Old 27-10-2006, 12:24 PM   #12
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was talking about focus. This is the focus section
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2006, 01:01 PM   #13
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Default Focus Woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieoter
I was talking about focus. This is the focus section

My sincere apologies Pie,

I had not realised that i was posting in the focus section under the thread named ''focus woes''.

I am very very sorry...

Loads of fun :
Old 27-10-2006, 03:00 PM   #14
amlohac

I remember someone saying a few months ago to keep on topic as not to peeve off other users who ask a genuine question?

It honestly sounds like a computer problem and nothing more. If it runs fine after doing it thats all it would be i think. hopefully theres a new ecu flash out to fix it
amlohac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2006, 08:33 PM   #15
Sov
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfocusman
it has now just started to exibit the creaks as it goes over he driveway, speedhumps. it just the suspension or something else
Mine does that too - mostly when entering/leaving driveways at an angle.

I traced it to the window seals - front and back. So I gave the seals and pillars a clean then waxed the door frames where the seals rub. Fixed it for about a week, then came back:(
Sov is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2006, 11:04 AM   #16
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You could try some silicone spray on the seals. Just be careful not to get overspray on your paintwork (won't hurt it - but won't be easy to get off either!)
Old 28-10-2006, 11:16 AM   #17
newfocusman
Starter Motor

thanks all (so far),
Forestbear - i hope thats all it was, a once off. Ford couldn't find a recorded fault log and submitted a 'EDSR'.
Amlohac - yeah a new/upate to software would be good - a mate has a 2 month old MAZ3 (facelift) and first service it already had a software update, we know both cars are twins under the skin, so why does FORD not share updates. i wish they did
newfocusman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post