Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-12-2007, 10:27 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default Door Wiring

Im after a bit of info on how to run new wiring from the inside of the car to the doors, anybody done this and if so can you help me out a bit?

I need to run 2 new wires to each door to power the doortrim lights Ive just put in, I can see where they go through the grommet to get to the door, but how do I get to that area of the car to put the wires in ie what bits of the dash are going to have to come out.

Any ideas on how to make this a painless experience?

Old 06-12-2007, 10:40 PM   #2
WoodysXR6
Wanting a sprint!

i'd say remove kicker panels and undo the plastic to move the carpet back for the back doors, coz i would think itll run through the seal panels and will have gromments on the inside.

If thats the sortta information your after , Good Luck

regards Craig
Old 06-12-2007, 11:04 PM   #3
chief
FTF Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xr220Au3
i'd say remove kicker panels and undo the plastic to move the carpet back for the back doors, coz i would think itll run through the seal panels and will have gromments on the inside.

If thats the sortta information your after , Good Luck

regards Craig
Austin owns a ute.

I have had to do this. Or should I say Stav did this for me. Run a power wire from the light that shines on the ignition barrel. You only want the door lights on when that light is on anyway. You can just earth the other wire some where convenient for you.You will need about 2 meters of wire. To go down the steering column, behind the dash, kick panel out the grommet and through to the door.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2007, 11:18 PM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief
Austin owns a ute.

I have had to do this. Or should I say Stav did this for me. Run a power wire from the light that shines on the ignition barrel. You only want the door lights on when that light is on anyway. You can just earth the other wire some where convenient for you.You will need about 2 meters of wire. To go down the steering column, behind the dash, kick panel out the grommet and through to the door.
Yeup, thats where my courtesy ones are wired up now. Im just going to tap into em at each side of the car.

So the grommet I need to get to is behind the kick panel by the soubds of it.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:00 AM   #5
chief
FTF Club Moderator

IIRC yes. I can have a look in the morning to check. There is a flexible rubber hose that has the wires in it for the power mirrors and power windows. Just use that grommet to get from in the cabin to behind the door trim.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2007, 12:00 AM   #6
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

The area you need to get to is up under the dash a bit. No parts of the dash have to come off but you will need to pull back the carpet to get to the other side of the grommet.
As for getting wires through, use a piece of wire (my choice was coat hanger) smother it in Vaseline then poke it through the grommet. This will take some playing around. Once through, tape the wires to the coat hanger, cover them in Vaseline as well and pull it all back through.
Sounds easy huh? trust me it's not. Plenty of swearing will be done. At least it will probably be easier than mine

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2007, 09:31 PM   #7
b2tf
not here much anymore

Found them tonight, well the driver's side one anyway, I think the passenger side is going to be the worst with the ECU wiring everywhere. Its going to be a right bugger of a job methinks.......doh..........
Old 07-12-2007, 09:34 PM   #8
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its a sh%t of a job to get wiring through to passagers side. When i ran my new speaker wire i went from the door into the car and managed to fish them down and out past the ECU

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2007, 09:41 PM   #9
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Ah crap... looks like i'm going to be for some fun too... as i want heavier speaker wire and wouldnt mind the door lights in future (when i get matching trims)... so i might run ome extra wires while im at for the future. :P
Old 07-12-2007, 09:52 PM   #10
WoodysXR6
Wanting a sprint!

Yeah sweet it would save alotta fustration down the track what a pain in the a@# lol.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:43 PM   #11
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

You guys could try external door lights on your mirrors instead of inside. Why would I suggest that ? Because that's what our Explorer has. Don't ask, 'cos I don't know!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2007, 11:21 PM   #12
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEPRINT
Ah crap... looks like i'm going to be for some fun too... as i want heavier speaker wire and wouldnt mind the door lights in future (when i get matching trims)... so i might run ome extra wires while im at for the future. :P
Very possible, just a bit frustrating. I went big thick wire when i did my speakers (shielded stuff - Around 6mm round per single wire), and then recently put power windows in, which i used 15amp wire with 2/3 wires per gromet. Not fun, but the way i posted before certainly made it a lot easier

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post