Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-02-2005, 05:10 PM   #1
Vision Zetec
Hurry up Germany!!

Question Insurance and exausts!

sup guys,
i was just about to ring up RACV and ask if i can get a 2.5" sports exaust on my EB. but i remembered some tips that i read ages ago about asking insurance compaines about exausts.

someone said that i should say that mine is cracked and that my mechanic said i should get a sports exaust as it will last longer and give me more fuel economy, which isnt really lieing!

what do you guys think?

thanks heaps

-Daniel
Old 07-02-2005, 05:24 PM   #2
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Reframe from using words like sport/sports. Word it like this. My mechanic has advised me that my exhaust manafold is fractured and the rest of the exhaust is in a very bad condition. His advice is to replace the entire system. then IF the insure ask you what type of system you plan to use, tell them that he is organising it and you think he is putting on a set of headers as they are cheaper and gives the car better fuel economy.

Be very carefull what you say, and never mention extra power or better performance.

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid

Last edited by jabba; 07-02-2005 at 05:30 PM.
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2005, 05:36 PM   #3
Pilch
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba
Be very carefull what you say, and never mention extra power or better performance.
I've always considered it to be extremely important to be completely honest with your insurance company! By all means say your exhaust is stuffed and needs replacing, etc., but don't lie yourself into a situation where they will reject your claims 'coz you didn't tell them about a modification.

Being RACV, I'd first ring them and ask what implications would be involved if you fit the 2.5" exhaust, and than inform them later if it ain't gonna effect your policy.
Pilch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2005, 05:40 PM   #4
Vision Zetec
Hurry up Germany!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilch
Being RACV, I'd first ring them and ask what implications would be involved if you fit the 2.5" exhaust, and than inform them later if it ain't gonna effect your policy.
sorry i dont get ya here?
Old 07-02-2005, 05:44 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

Sorry but i disagree - if you say 'your mechanic is doing it' etc, you sound as though you dont really know whats going to happen.

Just be blunt and say straight out - "i want to put a 2.5" exhaust system onto my car as opposed to the standard system". If they have issues with it, find yourself another company. It's really not worth hiding stuff from them because if something happens to the car, you will not have a leg to stand on.
Old 07-02-2005, 05:46 PM   #6
Steve's TS50
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Some Insurance Companies have issues with fitting headers.
They say unless they are factory fitted, they wont cover it.
GIO was one of those.
As you know they will use any excuse to get out of paying a claim so you will have to be up front and honest. Better to do that than cop a 20K repair bill!!!
Steve
Steve's TS50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2005, 05:56 PM   #7
Vision Zetec
Hurry up Germany!!

yer true thanks guys

ill give them a call tomorrow and be straight up
Old 07-02-2005, 05:57 PM   #8
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That was the one good thing about getting XR8 extractors over after market, was under dealership warranty. RACV said as long as they came factory on the same er well not really model cause I said they are off an XR8 and mines a Fairmont so kind of series but again they are off a S3 where mine is an S1, something I explained and they said no worries the 3" catback was a bit different :
Speed cameras have changed the things we pay attention to and the things we regard as important. Instead of focusing on the dangers ahead, motorists feel that they have been relieved of responsibility for managing their own driving, and have ceded it instead to the mechanical intervention of the camera and other traffic signals.
DivHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2005, 06:58 PM   #9
Kryton

i enquired about insurance for the panelvan AFTER i had extractors and a 2.5 inch SS exhaust put on. they didnt have a probelm with it at all.
the only problem they had was that i paid $450 for the whole car so they said in the event of a claim the most they will pay out is $3000 (stolen/write off and the likes).
AAMI didnt have a problem with the exhaust and extractors either but they wouldnt allow ANY other mods after that.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2005, 07:39 PM   #10
Envious
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im with JustCar insurance, they give unlimited modifications. You just have to pay a bit extra...ie it is going to cost about an extra $100 p.a when i get my extractors and new exhaust on......sweet :hihi:
Old 07-02-2005, 08:52 PM   #11
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

weather or not you mechanic says its better or not has no differewnce in the eyes of insurance. Most people think it is a safter factor which could not be futher from the truth. Most policies state "We Will Only use OEM parts to repair your vehicle"
If you have a modified car with a different exhaust that will just **** you off at claim time when you find they repalce it with an original factory part. My Advice Tell them or it won't be covered and may possibly jepordise any claim you may have to make .
From one that works in insurance
Yaw
Yaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post