Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-12-2010, 06:47 PM   #1
GT 160
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default O/S Vehicle Import Companies

Due to the somewhat unrealistic prices asked in Aus for most american and classic vehicles in general, i've decided to go down the US import route.

Can anyone recommend businesses either through personal experience or word of mouth ??

GT 160 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2010, 12:01 AM   #2
ThaFlash
Trusted Seller

i was on the look out for us muscle particularly chevs, and you are right some nobs just are stupid or retarted and ask way too much.

i have seen ads lasting 2-3 years for absolute rubbish over 40K for a 64 impala, just becasue some dead gangster drove it in south central la or whatever other crap they spin.

i haven't come accross many importers only 2 I know, bayswater carsales, bought 2 off Andrew (the owner) twice upon a time. There is one on cochranes rd moorabbin, but don't know much about them other than they do have a nice display but again ultra expensive.

good luck man...
ThaFlash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2010, 12:46 PM   #3
GT 160
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP4ME
i was on the look out for us muscle particularly chevs, and you are right some nobs just are stupid or retarted and ask way too much.

i have seen ads lasting 2-3 years for absolute rubbish over 40K for a 64 impala, just becasue some dead gangster drove it in south central la or whatever other crap they spin.

i haven't come accross many importers only 2 I know, bayswater carsales, bought 2 off Andrew (the owner) twice upon a time. There is one on cochranes rd moorabbin, but don't know much about them other than they do have a nice display but again ultra expensive.

good luck man...

Thanks mate, much appreciated.

Yeah your right, going off current US prices i can almost import 3 quality vehicles for less than some blokes want for 1 here.

A mate at work a few months back imported an absolutely mint 79 Plymouth Cuda for $21k Aus from a dealer. This thing is immaculate has no rust, dead straight and interior is spotless. Try getting one for that here.
Old 16-12-2010, 01:07 PM   #4
Boosh Brus

http://www.prestigemotorsport.com.au is now importing US cars. I have no experience with them but they have been around for a while importing from Japan.
Boosh Brus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2010, 02:13 PM   #5
NeillNZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has contributed a number of great technical articles for people with X Series cars. 

In issue 51 of Australian Muscle Car there is "US Muscle Imports - Buyer's Guide Part II". It has info on 10 importers. Issue 51 has an orange HG GTS 350 on the cover.

I guess part one of the article is in issue 50.
NeillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2010, 03:32 PM   #6
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a google search will turn up a page full of listings, http://www.autosource.com.au/american-imports.php
surely someone will have used one of them.
Old 16-12-2010, 03:42 PM   #7
ThaFlash
Trusted Seller

fitz where you located, qld seems the be the first port of call for usa imports, prices up there aint too bad either....
Old 16-12-2010, 04:05 PM   #8
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Try http://www.americanmusclecars.com.au/transport.htm
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2010, 09:42 PM   #9
v gate

Just be carefull what you bring in. Plenty of stories of bog filled cars arriving here on personel imports.
It was only a couple of years back that yanks were buying our cars and taking them back because our workmanship is better.
Plus with the rules that are in place now unless its as factory your gunna get a new ****.
v gate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2010, 11:44 PM   #10
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Importing a muscle car

I have checked a few prices and $3k seems to be the go LA to Brisbane or Melbourne
theres a guy on EBay AU that sells Mustangs and he quotes free delivery
to Australia I wrote to him and he tells me its $3k Ive also been told that
GST is applied to the total cost ie $20k plus $3k is $23k plus GST of $2300
which gives you a total of $25300 assuming you pay $20k for your sixty six Mustang
if you are looking for a late model one ie 1999 model then its a whole new ball game
you have import duty and RHD conversion and ADR compliance to worry about
thanks John
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2010, 01:49 PM   #11
ThaFlash
Trusted Seller

doesn't the guy to restoed auslandau's landau import them too?
Old 17-12-2010, 09:18 PM   #12
GT 160
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by v gate
Just be carefull what you bring in. Plenty of stories of bog filled cars arriving here on personel imports.
It was only a couple of years back that yanks were buying our cars and taking them back because our workmanship is better.
Plus with the rules that are in place now unless its as factory your gunna get a new ****.

Didn't everyone jump the gun with the whole "unless it's factory you can't import it" story ??

I was told it was heavly aimed at the hotrod and kit car scene importing new bodies etc as original.
Old 17-12-2010, 11:27 PM   #13
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP4ME
doesn't the guy to restoed auslandau's landau import them too?
Yes he did but hasn't for quite some time. Another mate does it very regularly but has the huge advantage of having a mate living in the states who inspects them before buying. In the past 12 months he has bought over 3 Mustangs and a Trans Am. Shipping isnt a problem ... its getting the right one as pictures do not tell the story most of the time.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2010, 05:55 AM   #14
v gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzwa
Didn't everyone jump the gun with the whole "unless it's factory you can't import it" story ??

I was told it was heavly aimed at the hotrod and kit car scene importing new bodies etc as original.
Thats what i thought to but the guy that bought in my engine flew over to the ACT to talk to the powers that be and the feel he got was they want us all in shiny new cars not gas guzzling monsters with no air bags.
Next time i see him i,ll ask how its all working for him.
v gate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2010, 06:02 PM   #15
ThaFlash
Trusted Seller

thanks for clarifying auslandau...

still your best bet is locally, about 5 years ago i picked up an xb coupe for 10K, it was in storage for ages the older gentleman advertised in a local paper, no one came, he had it for 12K and was happy for the beast to go to a good home.

had rust in all the usual spots, needed about 10K for full resto according to auslandau's mate and that was that.

the advantages of locally sourced muscle, is you can negotiate a good price and see it for yourself and above all, get aussie muscle or at least australian delivered muscle with the conversions in place from 40 years ago.

patience will be the go.