Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-10-2009, 12:16 PM   #1
dan76n

Default Duty Free, Who knows the deal?

Guys,
If I purchase say a Video camera in Aus for $10,000 would I be able to take a flight to NZ and claim the GST back which would be around $1000.
Basically giving me a free flight to NZ?
Im hoping this would come under the Tourist Refund Scheme.
If I can do this would I be required to pay a duty on my return?

dan76n is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2009, 05:08 PM   #2
Lightning Strike XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dunno about getting the tax back.

But just get a old camera case or whatever and then they can't really prove its new

www.bseries.com.au/04xr6

Buying or Selling property in Melbourne PM me!
Lightning Strike XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2009, 07:16 PM   #3
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

If you have the receipt you can claim the GST at the airport. But there will be a certain amount of days that you need to be out of the country for it to be legit duty free. I know in Singapore it had to be 2 days(did a bit of travelling in and out).
Old 03-10-2009, 10:30 PM   #4
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

There is a $$ limit on whats duty free and I'm way sure it's under $10k..
$10k would be deemed a professional / business camera ??
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2009, 01:20 AM   #5
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I went OS a few months ago, and the chap in front of me in the claims line was doing a claim on a 5 grand laptop and other equipment. Nowhere can I find any reference to a limit.

You may be hit with GST on your return. These sites will answer some of your questions, and provide you contact info:

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4366

http://www.sydneyontheweb.com/essential_info/trs.shtml

http://www.pluscorp.com.au/Document.asp?PageID=38
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2009, 08:58 AM   #6
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Might have to pay duty on your return:
Quote:
Bringing the goods back into Australia

If the goods are to be brought back into Australia, please be aware that they may be subject to GST. Normal passenger concessions apply and include any items for which a TRS claim has been approved (excluding most personal items such as new clothing, footwear and articles for personal hygiene and grooming). If the value of those goods together with overseas purchases exceeds the passenger concession, the goods must be declared to Customs on your return to Australia. Penalties apply to undeclared taxable goods.

If in doubt you should declare the goods to Customs on your return.

More information is contained in the brochure 'Know Before You Go' which is available from Customs.
http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4366#e1164
Old 04-10-2009, 09:07 AM   #7
Mark s
1.3 Litre Suzuki power

Yeah I got slugged years ago. I got a canon camera duty free (around $1700) + I bought a new set of Taylor Made golf clubs, bag, etc in the US. I even went and played a few games as they would be then second hand.

Customs hit me big time and I was up for around $400 bucks duty when I came back into Australia.

EF 4lt 1995 in Green on LPG. To and from work hack.

XY Fairmont 1971 in Bronze Wine, 302, Top Loader, 9" Still trying to find out if she is a GS or plain jane Monty.

Mustang 1966 coupe, Silver frost, A code, C4, factory bench seat, A/C, P/S rally pac, AM radio with 8 track. Awaiting funds for resto.

K6 Hayabusa....Dead Stock and why would one need to spend thousands on mods.................
Mark s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2009, 11:33 AM   #8
woodsy109

Generally unless you can get the camera cheaper where you are going (singapore maybe?), the duty you save on it is not worth the hassle. There are forms that you fill out when you purchase the item and then you have to claim it back at the airport before you fly out of the country. When you get back to Australia you will either have to prove that it wasn't bought abroad (which might be easier if you class it as a business trip and have camera gear with you), or pay duty if it is over $1000.
woodsy109 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2009, 09:31 AM   #9
LTDHO
The one and only

I just came back from NZ and you can not claim for the GST between the two countries (you can with others though). I had over $3000 in receipts..
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2009, 11:33 AM   #10
iCat
doof doof doof doof

customs information centre - 1300 363 263
iCat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2009, 12:15 AM   #11
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

as far as i know the time limit is 28days

the minimum amount that can be claimed is approx $300, all items must be brand new, and have an invoice that has your name on it, or name as per passport

ive never heard of anyone buying a camera (in aus) then going on a holiday (overseas) and having to pay a tax again to bring it back... if you buy something there and bring it here you have to pay tax on it

and again as far as i know, you dont have to have the packaging of the item (according to customers of mine)

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2009, 09:39 AM   #12
dan76n

Ive Done some research and you can claim the "tourist refund scheme" on anything over $300 that you buy in Aus 30 days prior to the flight and take with you as hand luggage so I would be able to claim $1000. But upon return to Australia you must declare anything that is over the $900 duty free concession and then pay the duty which would be $1000 so its pretty pointless really.
Unless I take a gamble on not declaring it on return but I have a feeling customs would be monitoring my return for that kind of money.
I guess the other option is to post the item back to Aus while Im over there so I have nothing to declare at the airport.

My main reason for this was I was looking at getting a free holiday from the Duty I claimed back but It might have a few issues.
dan76n is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2009, 01:29 PM   #13
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan76n
I guess the other option is to post the item back to Aus while Im over there so I have nothing to declare at the airport.
Won't work. Customs are at the international mail centre too. They'll assess the duty & gst and send a bill. Or they'll hold on to it and you'll have to front up and produce receipts etc.

Forget the freebie holiday. Sorry.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2009, 02:20 PM   #14
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan76n
Guys,
If I purchase say a Video camera in Aus for $10,000 would I be able to take a flight to NZ and claim the GST back which would be around $1000.
Basically giving me a free flight to NZ?
Im hoping this would come under the Tourist Refund Scheme.
If I can do this would I be required to pay a duty on my return?
Ring and ask them. I did some time ago and saved myself a small fortune.

If you buy it in Aus at a duty free shop the odds are it will still be more expensive than at the good guys/HN etc. THEN you will get hit with duty and GST when you come back (and they know you bought it because it is tagged to your passporte).

If you buy it retail and try to claim back the GST you will need a mountain of paperwork and probably an ABN and even then you will get hit when it comes back in unless you don't declare it in which case they will just confiscate it if they find it (and they know you have it because you declared you were taking it out of the country with details of your passporte and travel when you claimed back the GST).

Remember, in Australia the only crime greater than murder is attempting to defraud the government of money.

Nice try....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post