Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 06-07-2005, 05:41 PM   #1
WASP
Whipple Induced

Default CDAA Review- New Focus Zetec

That’s right folks, I finally managed to obtain a 2 hour drive of a brand new silver Focus Zetec, fully equipped with bull dust and mud from it’s last caining on a dirt road my the media. I gather they were seeing if it still had its rally heritage of the past model…lol

I was apparently the first customer in SA to drive one of these things which in one way was nice, but in another made me feel that I was part of some experimental process that would hopefully go well. Hopefully.

First impressions
When I arrived to the dealership fresh out of my beautiful RZTT, their was a new red LX Focus sedan parked there which I thought was mine for the test drive. As you can imagine I was little disappointed with it not being a Zetec and not being a hatch. I was actually imagining my partner giving me heaps about it and asking why I bothered at all.

The LX model at first sight looked a little nose heavy and stunted at the front. The 16” wheels appeared too small for the car which actually has quite a bit of body mass to it. Fortunately for me the LX was not mine and a Zetec was on it’s way. Frank, my dealer had gone to great lengths to secure this car but was quite embarrassed when he saw how dirty it was. A quick run through the car wash and she was looking as good as new.

What a different the Zetec enhancements make for starters. Bigger 17” alloys, deeper body kit and those big headlights with black bezel in them rather than silver really transformed the car. It almost looked muscular and made me wonder how good it would look with some bigger 18” wheels and being lowered (yes, I’m a hoon)!

The body styling is very modern and smart, quite contemporary. Whether this will prolong the cars time as being fashionable or shorten it, I’m not too sure as although quite contemporary in design, theirs nothing over the top about it.

Interior
So much space for starters. The interior however was most likely to be the blandest area of the Zetec. Everything was nicely presented with the exception of two things, the steering wheel stereo controls which go up and down on the indicator stalk rather than being neatly presented as part of the steering wheel. The other item is the blank buttons underneath the central control centre. There are 4 buttons in total but only one is used for something (window demister). Having blank buttons just looks like a ‘I couldn’t afford this feature’ type of thing. You get the same thing in the Ghia so I gather this is an oversea model provision. These things are both only little gripes however.

As a sports model I was expecting a little bit more than the LX had to offer on the inside, but struggled to see anything of real value if you don’t count the cheap looking carbon fiber print around the stereo. In direct contrast, the classy satin steel door handles look and feel the business.

Seat material was quite pleasant and non offensive, but didn’t exactly get the heart pumping if you know what I mean. Support was good in general but it would have been nice to have some back lumber control which wasn’t available.

The boot is huge on the hatchback, a feature which appeared to delight both my partner and our dog. We were initially concerned that the rear seat would not fit three bums comfortably. We have 2 girls ( 5 &7) and plan another in a few years, so the old booster seat test was implemented and passed well (or reasonably so). Another plus was the air-conditioning vents available in the back seat which were not apparent on the Mazda 6 we drove. Kids are much happier when their comfortable!

The drive
***Now before you read on, you need to take into account that I’ve just hoped out my RZ Twin turbo 6 speed, 260kw+ Sports car and into the Zetec.***

May as well been a Falcon from a driver point of view. It was not until we started moving and changing gears that it became obvious that you were in a small ‘Laser’ like car. First thing I notice was how quite this baby was. The engine just purred like a kitten, only quieter and the gear box was quite notchy. The clutch was so light that I almost found it hard to use. The Supra clutch is quite heavy so jumping from one car to another was always going to be challenging. The Zetecs gear stick was much further back than I’m used to, but the gear throws were reasonably short for this type of vehicle.

Acceleration was a little disappointing at first. Around town or in the lower rev range she was a little lifeless and needed a few revs to really benefit from the new engines power. Up higher in the rev range the performance was much better and very deceptive. The car literally rides so well for a small hatch that you don’t feel or notice the speed until it’s too late. Brakes were absolutely superb and both my partner and I felt very confident with them. A 60km/h hard brake test ‘seemed’ like it pulled us up without a shudder or waver within 20 meters or less. Bloody impressive!

Handling and ride
Who ever selected the tyres for this car should be shot. Despite the cars refined attributes, mechanical quietness and padding, the road noise from the tyres is very noticeable, particularly on many Adelaide roads which are average at best. On top of this initially the steering felt deadened somewhat so you never felt totally convinced that they (the tyres) were connected well to the road. However after driving for a while I think this is something that owners will need to get used to. The more we drove it, the more confident we felt with its handling capabilities. After 2 hours of driving it I was wondering to myself what all the initial fuss was about. “She steers great” I said to my partner while I charged down the Adelaide hills at a great, but legal rate or knots! ….I do have a sore left ear lobe now but..;):

Summary
Ok, well over the 2 hrs I had the Zetec, I had my lows and my highs with this car. For me it was not the type of vehicle that I could instantly love and get emotional about, but in the end I was not buying it for me anyway. My partner sure became to like it much quicker than I did, but in the end we both agreed it was an excellent car for the money. For those that are considering one, option up the sports gear knob and the door scuff plates. They simply look superb on this car!

Colville

Last edited by WASP; 06-07-2005 at 07:16 PM.
WASP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2005, 05:54 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

A Nice review there, I take it you havent driven an LR (outgoing model) before? Having not driven the LS yet (but been for a drive ine one) its very hard to gauge the differences in driving etc.

Ive managed to pull some strings and score one for a full day so I will be able to review too hopefully.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:59 PM   #3
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Yep a few rolled off a Toll truck down here...

I am very impressed by the new one.. The LX sedan would probarly be my pick, but the Zetec was also nice (not sure abotu the rear window slope on the hatch).. Huge improvement over the old model and looks like it may be a winner.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2005, 06:51 PM   #4
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

I saw my first one in sydney today at the local ford dealership. They really look good, even in base form. Ill pass this link onto a family friend who is getting either a mazda3 or Focus... cheers for the review!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2005, 07:05 PM   #5
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Good summary mate but where's the pic's, I'm dying to see a Silver Zetec.
galaxy xr8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2005, 11:37 PM   #6
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
A Nice review there, I take it you havent driven an LR (outgoing model) before? Having not driven the LS yet (but been for a drive ine one) its very hard to gauge the differences in driving etc.

Ive managed to pull some strings and score one for a full day so I will be able to review too hopefully.
Hi back2thefutura,

I've driven a CL of the last model as a loan car while my XR8 was being serviced. It was some time ago now so it's hard to draw a comparison other than visually. Things I remember however would b engine performance and interior finish which in both cases, the new model appears to have made great gains. As far as built quality goes however the LR appears to be quite solid like the LS.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:39 PM   #7
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
Sorry mate, I didn't have the opportunity, but I can tell you that in silver, the lines and shapes of the car are really highlighted.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:55 PM   #8
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
Try this comparing the old vs new
http://www.eurofordclub.com/gallery/newfocuszetec

Or this for some other angles...
http://www.eurofordclub.com/gallery/mayvic

Then there's this - scroll down to the Zetec named pics from Melb Motorshow
http://members.iinet.com.au/~fordboys/Matt/MMS2005/

Silver enough for you? Hope it helps :ymca:
Old 07-07-2005, 12:09 AM   #9
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
but in the end I was not buying it for me anyway. My partner sure became to like it much quicker than I did, but in the end we both agreed it was an excellent car for the money. For those that are considering one, option up the sports gear knob and the door scuff plates. They simply look superb on this car!
thx for the good write up Colville, where to now for your Partner are you going to look for another new car?

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2005, 12:28 AM   #10
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRFPV8
thx for the good write up Colville, where to now for your Partner are you going to look for another new car?
Hi Mark, yes mate, I just ordered my wife a Titanium Grey Zetec with a few extras for her Birthday (August). After that it's my turn.....:Up_to_som ..again!
Old 07-07-2005, 12:42 AM   #11
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Hi Mark, yes mate, I just ordered my wife a Titanium Grey Zetec with a few extras for her Birthday (August). After that it's my turn.....:Up_to_som ..again!
Very nice, should have ordered yours while you were there..lol.. :

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2005, 12:47 AM   #12
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Titanium Grey Zetec!!! : : : : : : :
Old 07-07-2005, 08:22 AM   #13
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Sorry mate, I didn't have the opportunity, but I can tell you that in silver, the lines and shapes of the car are really highlighted.
I think I will go and check one out in silver.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:22 AM   #14
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
Try this comparing the old vs new
http://www.eurofordclub.com/gallery/newfocuszetec

Or this for some other angles...
http://www.eurofordclub.com/gallery/mayvic

Then there's this - scroll down to the Zetec named pics from Melb Motorshow
http://members.iinet.com.au/~fordboys/Matt/MMS2005/

Silver enough for you? Hope it helps :ymca:
Thank's mate.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:36 AM   #15
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRFPV8
Very nice, should have ordered yours while you were there..lol.. :
lol, I agree and could of if I ordered a Territory (wife wants me to gave one). Problem is couldn't bring myself to do it.......yet.: They had a rapid GT with black stripes in the showroom which distracted me..lol
Old 07-07-2005, 09:38 AM   #16
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
Titanium Grey Zetec!!! : : : : : : :
Yeap, you won! She saw a Mazda 3 in the same (similar) colour on the road and that was the end of it. Sould look nice with the windows tinted (and lowered suspension) if that's available yet.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:08 AM   #17
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

what Extras did you get...

They sure are a nice car...
Old 07-07-2005, 11:42 AM   #18
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockWaveXR6na
what Extras did you get...

They sure are a nice car...
There's not that many options available to be honest. I've gone the sports gear knob, Ford mats (focus ones are thin and cheap looking), alloy cover pedals (if we can get the them), window tint, alloy Focus scuff plates and paint protection.

Aftermarket depending on availablity we may have the seats done in leather and low the suspension, however these are big 'IF' items. My parnter is worried about having to be too careful about knocking the front spoiler off etc..lol
Old 07-07-2005, 12:23 PM   #19
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes well theres always that issue...

I wish someone had pics of a CL with the smooth pack... grr
Old 07-07-2005, 02:39 PM   #20
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Fair enough write up. I completely agree with regards to the tyre/road noise; its appauling for such a new car and really detracts from the overall ride.

But you could get over it; find some different tyres when you get some after market rims
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2005, 08:44 PM   #21
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Shockwave I have posted pics in other threads, but try here anyway...

It's those alloys, a leather wheel and power mirrors from memory, with the cruise control and leather wheel in this photo...