Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 15-07-2005, 11:32 PM   #1
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

Default Wheel Sizes

Im looking at upgrading the factory 15" alloys very soon, and im looking to really fill up the guards nicely. With lowering up and coming soon, 18's would be the way to go for me, in particular the OZ superturismo, but other similar styles will suffice if the budget blows right out of the water.

But im conflicting at whether i should go 18's or drop back 1 size to 17's. Im big on performance, not just straightline, id much prefer to have fun around corners and having great handling. After reading several topics, many seem to be against getting 18's for performance AND handling and 17's would be a much better option.

Im confused at how some claim that for performnce and handling applications, you wouldnt fit 18's, but in actual fact, the WRC cars all run 18's on tarmac events, even the focus RS comes out with 18's, and i think even the v8 supercars run 18's as well.

Now, i do have a good grasp of physics, and how mechanical things work (engineering), but i just dont see and cant comprehend how 18's can be such a bad thing on a road car. I can only imagine fitting 18's with low profile tyres would give less bounce, less sidewall flexing when cornering, thus better handling.

Enough of my ramble, i just wana hear from you guys out there that can give me an explanantion why fitting 18's wouldnt be suitable for my car, because i wana get rims, but not throw my handling out the window.

Tom
(PS: sorry bout the long post)

chevaps is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2005, 11:42 PM   #2
Mikey B
Frozen White Focus RS

Tom,

If you want handling improvements, then add 17's to your car. The ST170 has 17's. Yes, the FRS does have 18's but also has a wider track, and different suspension set-up.
Or, you could opt in buying the new focus with either 17's/18's as this has a quicker lap time than the old FRS round the proving ground in Belgium.

Just remember, as long as you keep your overall rolling circ. the same as your std set-up, then you wont need your speedo re-calibrated.

Cheers,
Mike
Mikey B is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2005, 11:47 PM   #3
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Which C307 has a quicker time, the ST??? Surely not the Zetec Duratec HD...
Old 16-07-2005, 12:31 AM   #4
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

I reckon my 17s look too small, and have been in a hatch with 18s and the ride is fine.

I might go larger next time I need rubber. It is more costly though.

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2005, 01:22 AM   #5
RiC
Starter Motor

I think 17s look a tad small on five door foci (depends on bodykit)... i would go for 18s purely for looks
RiC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2005, 02:22 PM   #6
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey B
Tom,

Just remember, as long as you keep your overall rolling circ. the same as your std set-up, then you wont need your speedo re-calibrated.

Cheers,
Mike
Ive worked out that 18s with 225/35/18 tyres will have the exact same rolling diameter as my current setup with 15's. No need for speedo recalibration.
Old 16-07-2005, 02:28 PM   #7
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

The reasons i wana go for 18's is the fact that the car would look unreal with 18's. Money isnt really a problem, because i can always save up some dosh, i mean im not in ay big hurry to get the wheels because ive not had the car long and the tyres are still practically new.

What i want and whats best may be conflicting with each other. I simply dont wana through away my handling if i fit bigger rims. If it means i have to fit 17s, then so be it....

But im still tryin to research it more deeply

Tom
Old 16-07-2005, 11:37 PM   #8
b2tf
not here much anymore

let your insurance company be the deciding factor. There are plenty of good looking designs in both sizes. Im more than happy with my factory 17's and I wont change them, but thats just me.
Old 17-07-2005, 01:29 PM   #9
WRC1AB
WRC1AB

Go 17" if you want handling you have to compromise looks.
Oh and if you want OZ racing the best place in Perth is Wheels World Osborne Park Call John Fowler on (08) 9244 2277 or
e-mail:john@wheelsworld.com.au

He is the only official OZ racing supllier in Perth there shop is right next to
Speedworks.

I did my whiteline suspension kit through them, and I'm going to order a set of
17 x 7 team dynamics pro race 2 through them.
These wheels are cheaper and lighter then OZ racing , they weigh 7.3 kg for
17".
Just what I need for Autokhanas.

Oh Chivaps don't forget to come down at Belmont race course Carpark on the 31st of July between 8 am and 12 pm.
You get to see my focus in action, its the best fun you can have with a good handling car.
Stuff the drags, who couldn't go in a streight line hehehe.
Old 17-07-2005, 11:48 PM   #10
OZXR4
formally ozmondeo

I priced the same wheel only 17, it was going to set me back $700 just for the rim. At that price the wheels would be more than the car.