Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 03-07-2005, 10:18 AM   #1
BlackLS

Default Is it worth it

Im planning to get the new focus. I'm looking at a CL with the Smooth pack or LX. I'm booked in for a test drive at our local dealer. Is it worth it spending the money on on a new car? at around 25k, should i get something second hand instead? Whats resale like on the outgoing Focus?

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2005, 10:59 AM   #2
Mick K.

Buying a new model is a good idea as far as resale is concerned but the downsides are that you might not get any discount on the buying price and their may be a quality niggle or two with an early production run.

The LR Focus arrived in Europe in 1998 and lasted till 2004. So if the new model gets another 6 year run - maybe with a series 2 revamp an 3 years or so, it will still look like a current model car beyond 2010.

Buying a runout model means you will get a good price, maybe get some extras thrown in, and drive away in a car that is tried and tested with all of the bugs ironed out, but it already looks like an old car and in a few years time will look even older - affecting your resale etc.

You'll also have to put up with reading all of the good reviews on the new Focus - saying how much better it is than the old model

Good luck - I'd go for the new one personally. Go the LX rather than the base model with the pack, but it will be more like $27K on the road (manual).

MK
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2005, 11:54 AM   #3
BlackLS

I was thinking the LX as well, and when I can get enuff dosh saved, some 18s and lowered. Thats all the treatment it *should* get until it goes in a few years. I'm looking at it as a long term thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick K.
Buying a new model is a good idea as far as resale is concerned but the downsides are that you might not get any discount on the buying price and their may be a quality niggle or two with an early production run.

The LR Focus arrived in Europe in 1998 and lasted till 2004. So if the new model gets another 6 year run - maybe with a series 2 revamp an 3 years or so, it will still look like a current model car beyond 2010.

Buying a runout model means you will get a good price, maybe get some extras thrown in, and drive away in a car that is tried and tested with all of the bugs ironed out, but it already looks like an old car and in a few years time will look even older - affecting your resale etc.

You'll also have to put up with reading all of the good reviews on the new Focus - saying how much better it is than the old model

Good luck - I'd go for the new one personally. Go the LX rather than the base model with the pack, but it will be more like $27K on the road (manual).

MK
Old 03-07-2005, 11:56 AM   #4
BlackLS

Have any mags done a comparo between focus, rolla and astra yet?
Old 03-07-2005, 12:29 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

The new Focus is on my shopping list, will at this stage be my next car after reading, seeing and experiencing what I have about it.

However seeing as Ive only just got my current one (LR), it wont be for at least 18 months. Gotta have time to enjoy this one and get used to driving a smaller car than a Falcon - I keep looking for the **** end of the car and all I find is a hatchback! :hihi:.

Seriously though, dont write off the LR (outgoing) model. You'd stand a very good chance of being able to get into one of the high end models, like a Zetec, now that dealers want to move them, and theyre still a new car! No kms, brand new. If you can live with the shape (and personally I think LR is better looking than LS), it's a no brainer.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:55 PM   #6
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
If you can live with the shape (and personally I think LR is better looking than LS), it's a no brainer.
I agree. I reckon the current shape model looks good !

Has Fez and XB.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2005, 07:03 PM   #7
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Buy new and you'll tear up lots of $$$ as soon as you drive out the showroom. I just sold my five year old MondeoST24 with only 15700km on it and lots of extras, as new condition. Basically I paid around $40000 and got just under $19000.

The Focus appears to be a slow seller and this will affect resale. Try and either get a good deal on the runout model or pick up a second hand one using the runout deals to knock the used price down even more. If you get something a year old you'll still have plenty of factory warranty too. ;)

That's what makes the most sense financially IMHO anyway. But what your heart wants may be a totally different matter.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:45 PM   #8
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

I think you should get the new LX. In my opinion, it will look good for many years to come, you have full warranty, a new car (not buying someone elses problems like some 2nd hand cars)... It is safer, has more power (then old model Zetec as well), and is of course new.

If you must go to the outgoing model, go for the ZetecR... looks good, handles well... and of course there is the heavy discounting on the outgoing model as well!

IMO though, new is the way to go!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2005, 08:59 PM   #9
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
I think you should get the new LX. In my opinion, it will look good for many years to come, you have full warranty, a new car (not buying someone elses problems like some 2nd hand cars)...
That's why buying a used one a year or so old is a good option - you've still got plenty of factory warranty to fix any problems you find.

It's never worth borrowing heaps of extra $$$ just to get the latest model. Not only are you losing value as soon as you take delivery, the bank is also making money from the interest.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:42 PM   #10
b2tf
not here much anymore

Another thing to consider - these new models are just that - NEW. So the potential problems or issues with them havent even been found out yet. The chance of buying a bad egg increases when you buy the very first of a model IMHO. Hence another reason to go with the already evolved outgoing model.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:17 PM   #11
zetec
Zoom Zoom

If you can live with the shape.... I can't live without it!! Washed her tonight, she still looks as hot as the day I picked her up. Nothing like a bit of soap and water...
Old 03-07-2005, 11:30 PM   #12
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
If you can live with the shape.... I can't live without it!! Washed her tonight, she still looks as hot as the day I picked her up. Nothing like a bit of soap and water...
Ink Blue looks better.............. :voldar02:
Old 06-07-2005, 11:57 PM   #13
zetec
Zoom Zoom

than dirt?