Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-02-2006, 02:36 AM   #1
goldfire

Default Had Single car crash, could use some advice/opinions

Hi all,

My first post here so pls be gentle

I pranged my car last night while taking a corner and was wondering if any of you had some opinions/advice, i'll give you a run down.

AU series 1 1999 Falcon turning RIGHT into street at approx 30-40 kph, I may have accelerated early and/or over steered and came into turn to high, back end slides out to left, I try to compensate by hard turn to the left, tires grip then slip and car kind of 180 degree slides out to the right, then bites throwing me up the kurb and through a fence. Apparantly according to the tow truck driver the worse damage that atleast he could see is something to do with the diff plate?.. apparantly it was designed to break off on impact, otherwise as far as i know it's just cosmetic damage, and a totalled rear driver wheel rim.

road was damp as it had been moderatly drizzling that night, i'm 90% sure of my speed that it didn't exceed 40 and there was no drugs or alcohol involved.

This happened @ about 0115 with near perfect visibility.

I have full comprehensive insurance with SGIO.

When the cops came out, the constable that took my statement asked me twice if my airbags deployed.. I was wondering why would he ask that?. I'm aware only vaugly about airbag technology and that it was meant to take some force to make them deploy

Also according to them the rear tires from what they could see still had ample tread?.

I won't lie and say this doesn't scare me as I don't know if my insurance will cover it, it should I mean, why do we pay them?.

Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciative.

Thankyou for your time.

goldfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2006, 02:53 AM   #2
kustoms*inc
vehicular molester

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfire
I may have accelerated early and/or over steered and came into turn to high, back end slides out to left, I try to compensate by hard turn to the left, tires grip then slip and car kind of 180 degree slides out to the right, then bites throwing me up the kurb and through a fence.
no offence....but thats sounds like what i told my old man when i put my xy into a light pole.

my experience with insurance companys is they'll bend you over and have their way with you, if its only the diff that is damaged and hasnt got an IRS or anything, and your in vic, give me a yell i've got a few laying around.

goodluck with it mate.
kustoms*inc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2006, 02:57 AM   #3
goldfire

cops didn't believe me either,

had i been doing like 80 i wouldn't be so ИИИИed, least then i would know for sure I was being a tool and got what i deserved.

I'm in perth :(

Thanks for the offer tho, the car is completely stock, save for my fluffy steering wheel cover
Old 17-02-2006, 03:04 AM   #4
kustoms*inc
vehicular molester

haha its cool, i've had the same problem with cops on other things....
i had one try to book me for going around a corner at apparently 90k's...now this was a 90degree bend and i was in a 1970 rambler rebel.....very unlikley !! but went to court and all....

them commenting on your tyres, if your a young'n was probably to do with wether you how were 'hooning' or not.

as for the airbag....as far as i know they only deploy at a certain pressure of impact....which if yours didnt, kinda adds as evidence to you that you werent doing 80 around the corner.

goodluck with it mate
Old 17-02-2006, 03:06 AM   #5
goldfire

24 years old with a perfect record.

aint no hooning for me.
Old 17-02-2006, 03:14 AM   #6
kustoms*inc
vehicular molester

ahh same age...wish i could say the same about the 'hooning'

....well if you get stuck give me a yell mate, shipping costs couldnt be that much.

Cheers
Old 17-02-2006, 08:59 AM   #7
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What were the police doing there? They wouldn't attend an incident like that on the Gold Coast.

Check out the cost of repairing it yourself, against paying your excess and loss of no claim bonus
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2006, 09:00 AM   #8
LTDHO
The one and only

Mate don't be concerned. As long as your car is roadworthy you will be fine. The airbag question is so they can estimate your speed. You insurance company will not stuff you around as long as you were not breaking any laws. The only concern is where you were driving too at 0115.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2006, 09:11 AM   #9
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm shocked that the cops turned up too....
it's hard to get them to come out to any accident unless there is a serious injury in Qld.
The tyres comments and the airbags are standard as far as the insurance company will be concerned.
You stated about the cars damage...but what about the fence damage?
Was it a property fence (home) or council?? You may have to pay for any damage done to it, so your insurance company needs to ensure your car was 100% roadworthy beforehand.

If you hit the fence front on, then the airbags should have worked (going by your estimation of speed anyway), but side on they dont always...
Thats simply from personal experience by the way (40klm can be enough).

Good luck, hope you get it all sorted ASAP

Cheers
Kerri
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2006, 09:13 AM   #10
all4ford
XW 351

If you didn't get booked for negligent driving, then you should be fine.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that these days if the air bag(s) deploys then the car is considered a write-off??
all4ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2006, 09:31 AM   #11
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4ford
If you didn't get booked for negligent driving, then you should be fine.
If if you are booked then your insurer will still pay yu out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4ford
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that these days if the air bag(s) deploys then the car is considered a write-off??
You are wrong. They are expensive and do add to the cost of repairs but alone do not write off a car.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2006, 10:53 AM   #12
Penelope Pitstop
Can't get enough of this.

Location: Standing on the driveway sobbing because I don't have a PINK ute anymore :0(

A few years ago I put my Landcruiser ute through a brick wall – slid on an oily road and dived head first into the wall. The wall was a write off but there was no damage to the cruiser only a very small ding to the bull bar. The impact was hard but no airbag went off, I think that was because the old girl didn’t have air bags! : The police came out – one of the neighbours called them, I bet you that it was happened in your case. I was so upset that the copper gave me a big hug and told me not to worry about anything… just ring insurance. It was all sorted out – my ex actually rebuilt the fence for cheaper then paying the excess and the owners were happy with that so that is what we did… Still hate that fence whenever we drive by though.

The Insurance company should be fine with it. Doesn’t sound like anything suss going on so you should have nothing to worry about. Just be honest that is all the Insurance companies want.
Penelope Pitstop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2006, 11:09 AM   #13
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

the police normally attend any car accident scene in WA ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2006, 12:37 PM   #14
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Goldfire, to give you an idea, the airbag will deploy if a 50 km/h or greater head on impact is detected.
Old 17-02-2006, 05:58 PM   #15
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

If I attended that accident and judged you to be a fair and honest person and your vehicle was roadworthy and conditions were terrible as stated I would write the accident off, no offence detected. If I believed in the conditions you were driving carelessly, I would need to prove this, witnesses etc, then I would charge you.

Last edited by Redrum; 17-02-2006 at 05:59 PM. Reason: poor typing skills
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2006, 06:02 PM   #16
XRated
Shoot.

Quote:
cops didn't believe me either,

had i been doing like 80 i wouldn't be so ИИИИed, least then i would know for sure I was being a tool and got what i deserved.

I'm in perth :(

Thanks for the offer tho, the car is completely stock, save for my fluffy steering wheel cover
Had the same thing happen to me recently. I just bit my tongue and agreed.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2006, 06:10 PM   #17
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Mate don't be concerned. As long as your car is roadworthy you will be fine. The airbag question is so they can estimate your speed. You insurance company will not stuff you around as long as you were not breaking any laws. The only concern is where you were driving too at 0115.
Thats pretty well right just ring your insurance company tell them what happened they will give you a claim no take it down to them, they will then access the car. You most likely pay a the hefty excess & become a higher risk cat.

The cops are trying to access if you were being a hoon to try & lay a driving charge against you if thats the case well you MIGHT have a battle with the insurance company
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2006, 06:29 PM   #18
all4ford
XW 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
If you are booked then your insurer will still pay yu out...........................They are expensive and do add to the cost of repairs but alone do not write off a car.
Okay lol, glad someone knows what they're talking about around here. he he.
all4ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2006, 07:07 PM   #19
goldfire

cheers for all the replys guys!.

The cops came out cos i called them, all i was thinking at the time was it's law to call them for an auto accident, didn't realise that this wasn't serious enough.

I was driving home from work.

They didn't charge me then and there, said the report will go to crash investigation and will go from there, insurance is also sending it to their crash investigation ppl.

As for the damage, i don't know yet, haven't seen a report, going to the car today cos i left some stuff in there.

as for the fence was a iron fence at the canning grayhounds, nothing to serious but if i do have to go to court i think i can easily prove i wasn't doing 80 or something, otherwise i woulda wound up head first in a tree that was about 3 metre in front of me, the fence and weight of car arrested 90% of my speed i think.

Thanks again guys, I really do appreciate this.
Old 17-02-2006, 07:32 PM   #20
eb91xr6
V8 Ute V8 Boat

yer did the same thing but only bent the diff on the gutter, told my old man that the motor died for a second and put my food down and it kicked in and out the back went, i just needed a new diff and new rim, took me so long to find just one 12 sloter but i still drove the car home, the brakes were shakey and the car shook like a ИИИИИ got a new diff fitted for $700 including the diff
125 Thumpster 2010
Swag
All set for the weekend
eb91xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2006, 09:34 PM   #21
Doogstar
B-Series Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb91xr6
yer did the same thing but only bent the diff on the gutter, told my old man that the motor died for a second and put my food down...
I am not surprised you crashed, eating while driving can be dangerous, especially eating with two hands. LOL :

380rwkw - 11.68 @ 120.94mph 60ft=1.97
Custom Tune, Exhaust. injectors.1.2K Plazmaman 1.2K Plenum kit

Now with bigger turbo and 426rwkw.

Last edited by Doogstar; 17-02-2006 at 09:47 PM.
Doogstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2006, 12:26 AM   #22
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think calling the cops was a good idea, let the insurance company know you thought it was the "right" thing to do and not that you had to do it. If you were being a hoon then you would not call the cops. Providing your driving history is clean, you should be fine.
Old 18-02-2006, 12:38 AM   #23
Ultimate
Pimp Daddy Pimp Pimp

Location: Queensland Events Assistant Co-Ordinator. Fiery's Little Helper

Yer mate sounds like you gave it a bit to much and lost it. Wait and see what happens. Looks like you be fine. If they charge you take it to court and appeal. With your clean record you be fine
---------------------------------------------------
AFF Merchandise

Excellent Purchases With: AFF Team, Rooster, Russ
Ultimate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2006, 12:40 AM   #24
Aeron
DJR Fan

I know a guy that put his EF XR6 into a pole in the wet yesterday. But he was being silly doing the sideway action!
EC 1:51.283
WP 1:10.190

Me Drifting on the Skid Pan **Video**
Aeron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2006, 01:37 AM   #25
goldfire

cheers again guys.

sigh, just wish i could get it over and done with.

Went and saw her today at the holding yard (left my phone charger in there) i damn near started crying, is different seeing it in the light of day and at 0200 in the morning.

Perfect scenario is i get a call from insurance saying yep all good pay the excess when the cars done in a week, and the cops say yeah we aint gonna charge you.

however knowing my luck :(

One a side note, i wanna trick the hell out of it, and was in the market for a good body kit prior to this happening. I was wondering if anyone could refer me to some after market ppl in perth that are reputable as i have no idea where to start, I wanna get a GT FPV type kit as i utterly love those cars.

Also saw me the meanest set of slotted rotors rear axle mounted today as well.. started drooling, this was on a impreza tho.

How do you guys get insurance with your modded cars?, when i signed on with SGIO i told them i want to get some after market stuff, they said i can do pretty much whatever i want that doesn't go to far beyond the original engineering?. but they'll only insure it to a 1/3 of the cars total value.

So how do you guys do it?, or who do you have that will allow you all this hell AM stuff, yet still have comp insurance?

Thanks again and i'll keep you all posted as this progresses, maybe one day a stick or something can be made as a reference should other people go through the same BS.

On a rather odd side note tho, SGIO told me that it's only going to investigation cos it's a single car crash?, I mean WTF????.. so if i had've plowed into someone, they'd pay it out no questions asked.. how gay is that.. shoulda just said yeah I t-boned someone but they drove off as it was only some scratching and a minor dent... bastards.

oh yeah, anyone know how much it'll be to replace the centre consol lid thingy for a series 1 AU?, i snapped it off while climbing over it cos the door was 2 inches from the fence post and i couldn't open it.. maybe they'll fix it?..
Old 18-02-2006, 02:04 AM   #26
Pol
Polnamos Karnew

The lid hinge is around $15. It should be noted in the damage though and covered by insurance.

There is no FPV GT body kit to suit an AU. You can get the T series kit from AWC though (yes, they will freight to WA).
Pol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2006, 02:34 AM   #27
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Actually yes there is an FPV GT "style" kit to suit AU's. One of the guys here is running around with that on his AUII XR6. Username here is Temujin.
Old 18-02-2006, 10:12 AM   #28
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirtekGirl76
A few years ago I put my Landcruiser ute through a brick wall – I was so upset that the copper gave me a big hug and told me not to worry about anything…
And you girls claim you're disadvantaged in society! I bet I wouldn't get a hug from a copper after a prang - though on second thoughts if she's a female constable I could try bursting into tears.

Losing a Falcon on a bend at 40k? - I thought they'd got better by 1999. I was driving a 1980s one once, slowing down gently for traffic lights at about 30k dry road and the rear brakes locked up, everybody's looking at me like I'm a hoon. Been too scared to drive a Falcon since!
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2006, 12:42 PM   #29
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
Losing a Falcon on a bend at 40k? - I thought they'd got better by 1999. I was driving a 1980s one once, slowing down gently for traffic lights at about 30k dry road and the rear brakes locked up, everybody's looking at me like I'm a hoon. Been too scared to drive a Falcon since!

See that^^^^
hope everyone took notice..
'thought they'd got better by 1999'...
mine is a 1995 model.. thats why she ends up a little sideways and brakes locking up.. its not me after.. its the damn car out:
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2006, 07:01 PM   #30
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Hi all,

My first post here so pls be gentle

I pranged my car last night while taking a corner and was wondering if any of you had some opinions/advice, i'll give you a run down.

AU series 1 1999 Falcon turning RIGHT into street at approx 30-40 kph, I may have accelerated early and/or over steered and came into turn to high, back end slides out to left, I try to compensate by hard turn to the left, tires grip then slip and car kind of 180 degree slides out to the right, then bites throwing me up the kurb and through a fence. Apparantly according to the tow truck driver the worse damage that atleast he could see is something to do with the diff plate?.. apparantly it was designed to break off on impact, otherwise as far as i know it's just cosmetic damage, and a totalled rear driver wheel rim.

road was damp as it had been moderatly drizzling that night, i'm 90% sure of my speed that it didn't exceed 40 and there was no drugs or alcohol involved.

This happened @ about 0115 with near perfect visibility.

I have full comprehensive insurance with SGIO.

When the cops came out, the constable that took my statement asked me twice if my airbags deployed.. I was wondering why would he ask that?. I'm aware only vaugly about airbag technology and that it was meant to take some force to make them deploy

Also according to them the rear tires from what they could see still had ample tread?.

I won't lie and say this doesn't scare me as I don't know if my insurance will cover it, it should I mean, why do we pay them?.

Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciative.

Thankyou for your time.

thats exactly what happened to me at uni when i put my ED into some trees. except it was a chicane, dry, and a little quicker... :