Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-12-2014, 10:44 PM   #1
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Odd sticker...anyone seen anything like this?

Unfortunately no photo accompanies this little tale...I was on my bike.

So, I was riding back home from Bundy. Apart from the thunderous torrential downpour and near constant rain for the first half of the trip, it was great.

Anyway, north of Miriam Vale, I found was stuck behind a long line of cars following someone in a little white hatchback. They were wavering between 80 and 90, but when an overtaking lane came up, the hatchback magically (of course) sped up to 100. Then back to 80 to 90 once the overtaking lane finished.
When I finally moved up as people overtook as chances arose, or (as I eventually did) obviously took a chance and just gunned it and went over the limit in an overtaking zone to get past the car, I got behind it on the bike.
As I waited for a chance to overtake this mobile roadblock, I noticed a largish vinyl sticker on the back window which said "100 - It's the LIMIT, not a REQUIREMENT".
Obviously a home made or online ordered sticker you can get made up to say anything, but the way she was carefully watching her mirrors to see who was behind her made me think she was on some sort of holy mission to hold up people who ACTUALLY HAD LIVES TO GO ON WITH AND PLACES TO DAMN WELL BE...

Anyone else seen this car or a sticker like it? Hope it's not a campaign some pack of idiots are starting...there's enough delays on the highways as it is...

2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-12-2014, 11:15 PM   #2
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 
Default Re: Odd sticker...anyone seen anything like this?

Seen similar on the back of every semi that blurs past me...

"100 SPEED LIMITED"
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2014, 11:44 PM   #3
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastel View Post
Seen similar on the back of every semi that blurs past me...

"100 SPEED LIMITED"
Is this an old thread ?

No one uses that that sticker anymore.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:05 AM   #4
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

lol the good old 100 speed limited... There's a few that still use the 90. For obvious reasons.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2014, 12:18 AM   #5
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Is this an old thread ?

No one uses that that sticker anymore.
Yeah I noticed trucks don't seem to have these anymore. What's the reason? Aren't they still limited to 100km/h?
Old 08-12-2014, 12:22 AM   #6
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple6 View Post
Yeah I noticed trucks don't seem to have these anymore. What's the reason? Aren't they still limited to 100km/h?
Yeah,but now it's from the factory.

Back when speed limiters first came out you could put that sticker on the back and be allowed to do 100kmh.

If you never had the sticker you were only allowed to do 90kmh.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:12 PM   #7
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

we were behind an old 4wd ages ago and the sticker on the back window said
"im speeding because i need a poo"

havent seen the OP sticker before
but if someone wants to do 80kmh in a 100kmh zone then they should pull over when safe to do so and not dictate what speed everyone else does on the road (within the speed limit of course)
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-12-2014, 01:53 PM   #8
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I seen one a while back on the back of an old camper.......

"think this is slow, wait til we go uphill"

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 08-12-2014, 02:01 PM   #9
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Every time I see a rolling road block I think of this late show sketch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTywJ1qmAMI

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 08-12-2014, 02:14 PM   #10
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple6 View Post
Back when they were needed, I had this made up for an old V12 Jag I once had

Old 08-12-2014, 02:59 PM   #11
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

So the silly cow saw fit to use the 100km/h speed when it suited her (speeding up for overtaking lanes so other people couldn't pass) but then resume her self-appointed road safety nanny programming once she left the overtaking lane.

There is some anecdotal internet evidence that some years ago similar signs were used on Tasmanian highways but who knows.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-12-2014, 03:34 PM   #12
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Stupid, just stupid!

I'll allow a slower speed to some degree, and depending on how much time or what distance I'm doing, I'll either overtake or leave it.

But if someone's going REALLY slow (for example, 75 in a 100 zone) for a distance and there is no opportunity for anyone to overtake, I see it as common courtesy that they pull to the side and allow others to pass if they want to, especially if there are several vehicles waiting to pass. Other drivers appreciate it, and so you avoid road rage incidents. I have done it too, i.e. when towing.

If I come across a vehicle that will not let others pass, and there's no safe overtaking chances, and they hold up a long line of vehicles for a long distance, I will give them a small toot as I finally get to pass.
OffRoadFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 08-12-2014, 03:55 PM   #13
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Years ago I had a Mini Cooper, had a secret switch that activated 4 extra driving lights (as per Mini rally cars) and set of air truck horns at once.
Was fun at times to see car in front go all different ways at once, these days their road rage would get me killed.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:08 AM   #14
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

What are you doing stuck in a line of traffic on a bike?
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-12-2014, 01:22 PM   #15
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

^^^ shoulda lane split them at $1.60 on the back wheel, that would have sorted the problem

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2014, 04:31 PM   #16
LyleXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Years ago in Geelong was a dual cab hilux with a big white sticker on the front window that said "BIG WHITE STICKER"
LyleXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-12-2014, 09:38 PM   #17
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO View Post
What are you doing stuck in a line of traffic on a bike?
Rain, plenty of traffic coming the other way, not in a hurry...several reasons.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2014, 11:08 AM   #18
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Rain, plenty of traffic coming the other way, not in a hurry...several reasons.
Should of open the widow maker up, and left them in a cloud of 2 stroke smoke.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2014, 05:56 PM   #19
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Anyway, north of Miriam Vale, I found was stuck behind a long line of cars following someone in a little white hatchback. They were wavering between 80 and 90, but when an overtaking lane came up, the hatchback magically (of course) sped up to 100. Then back to 80 to 90 once the overtaking lane finished.
When I finally moved up as people overtook as chances arose, or (as I eventually did) obviously took a chance and just gunned it and went over the limit in an overtaking zone to get past the car, I got behind it on the bike.
As I waited for a chance to overtake this mobile roadblock, I noticed a largish vinyl sticker on the back window which said "100 - It's the LIMIT, not a REQUIREMENT".
Obviously a home made or online ordered sticker you can get made up to say anything, but the way she was carefully watching her mirrors to see who was behind her made me think she was on some sort of holy mission to hold up people who ACTUALLY HAD LIVES TO GO ON WITH AND PLACES TO DAMN WELL BE...

Anyone else seen this car or a sticker like it? Hope it's not a campaign some pack of idiots are starting...there's enough delays on the highways as it is...
Nothing to do with the sticker, it happens along the Lancefield Rd between Sunbury and Lancefield all the time since they put overtaking lanes in a year or so ago.

Follow along behind a car doing 85, 90 or 95 and when we reach a divided overtaking section, they accelerate to 100kmh. Then they go back to 85, 90 or whatever they were doing before, once the overtaking section ends.

The same thing happens when going along a freeway and when about to pass a slower car, they suddenly speed up to the limit or beyond.

I have come to the conclusion that many drivers don't like to be overtaken.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-12-2014, 09:08 PM   #20
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Back when they were needed, I had this made up for an old V12 Jag I once had

Underneath you should have added:

"Honk If I'm In The Way"
LoudPipes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 13-12-2014, 10:28 PM   #21
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
Follow along behind a car doing 85, 90 or 95 and when we reach a divided overtaking section, they accelerate to 100kmh. Then they go back to 85, 90 or whatever they were doing before, once the overtaking section ends.

The same thing happens when going along a freeway and when about to pass a slower car, they suddenly speed up to the limit or beyond.

Ha, I know exactly where you're coming from, I live up in the Macedon Ranges.

I've come to the conclusion that people just don't like to be overtaken by a little silver hatchback driven by a 50yo grandfather. Alas (for them) the TDCi Focus I drive accelerates pretty quickly for an oil burner.

The speed people do depends on their age, what they're wearing and what they drive.

You start with the speed limit, then:
  • Guy wearing a hat driving a white farmers' ute of indeterminate age, minus 20km/h.
  • Little old lady in an immaculate 10yo Corolla, minus 15km/h (minus another 5km/h if she's wearing a bowling hat).
  • Anyone in a nice clean car out for a Sunday drive in the country, minus 20km/h.
  • People in 5 or 7-Series BMWs or E-Class Mercs in the left lane on the Calder during daylight, minus 5km/h until they see you in the RH wing mirror, then it's plus 10km/h.
  • Anyone in front of you when you're in a hurry, minus 30km/h.
  • A guy that lives up the road from me that drives an old cream Datsun ute with a blown RH tail-light that keeps pulling out in front of me when we're both on to the Railway station, minus 25km/h.
  • Anyone driving a new Ford or Holden ute under the age of 60, plus 20km/h.
Mick

Last edited by Ratmick; 13-12-2014 at 10:38 PM.
Ratmick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-12-2014, 09:52 PM   #22
Lunch
Wait, what?

I had a sign writer make me up a sticker when i was about 23, it was red, about 200mm high and the full width of the rear window of my car, it was only on the car for 10 days, which was longer than most people thought it would last, it drew a fair amount of attention both positive and negative but at the time i felt i needed to voice my opinion..
The sticker was F*#K I HATE COPS! I was pulled over by a motorcycle cop in the pouring rain, he gave my car an unroadworthy for things like washer bottle being empty, the wingnut on the battery mount was about 3 rotations from tight and tyre tread patterns didnt match..... He gave me 5 minutes to get my car home or to a mechanic and get the issues sorted, now any1 thats been given an unroadworthy knows you usually get a minimum 7 days to sort the things out...... Was is something i said officer?

Ps. The views of myself at 23 are no longer the views of my current self..
Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2014, 01:29 AM   #23
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have been thinking about one of these stickers (obviously with the arrow the other way for Australia)

Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2014, 07:21 AM   #24
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Back in the 80s there was a tough looking 70s Holden panel van getting around my area with the plates "TI3VOM"

Didn't look like much, until you saw it behind you in the mirror.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2014, 01:12 PM   #25
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anthony Hopkins would never have to worry about someone blocking his path.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2014, 01:33 PM   #26
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
Nothing to do with the sticker, it happens along the Lancefield Rd between Sunbury and Lancefield all the time since they put overtaking lanes in a year or so ago.

Couple years ago I was getting a lift with a guy who was traveling on a single lane road doing 85 kph but when he got to overtaking lanes he sped up to speed limit then back off when on single lane, after a while I asked why was he doing this & his comment was it was safer to do speed limit on double lanes.....
I never got back in a car with him since but shows you the mentality of some road users.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2014, 02:36 PM   #27
zilo
BANNED

There are laws for going too slow, just rarely enforced.

I would have passed her then slowed down to 50km/h in front of her allowing everyone to pass....except her, cause she's not in any hurry...
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: