Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 30-11-2022, 07:03 PM   #4741
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Geez! I hate that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Jumped in the car after finishing work today, and the ICC screen stayed blank for about 5 seconds after the engine started. Knew I was in trouble. Then this happened:

Odd thing was that I had no noticeable power issues. Car started fine, no sign of battery dramas.

All buttons seem to work except the on / off so guess I'll have to survive with some form of entertainment going.

Also interesting to note that this display stayed on even after the car was turned off and locked. With nothing to lose, I've now disconnected the battery whilst I go for a run, hoping that, at least, the screen clears so its not draining the battery whilst the cars not running. Might have a trip to melb on Monday to get it swapped over.
Assuming it's the XR8?
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2022, 07:53 PM   #4742
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
That's a bummer, hope you can get it fixed.
There's no probs getting it fixed, it's just the inconvenience of taking the car down to Melb and back and the $695 to swap over screens. I shouldn't complain, at least they're on special atm, at $200 off

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6
Assuming it's the XR8?
No, soz, should have said it's the ute. Classic FGII trait.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-11-2022, 08:00 PM   #4743
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
There's no probs getting it fixed, it's just the inconvenience of taking the car down to Melb and back and the $695 to swap over screens. I shouldn't complain, at least they're on special atm, at $200 off

No, soz, should have said it's the ute. Classic FGII trait.
That makes sense, I was hoping it wasn't the FGX for obvious reasons.
Mustang GT

Old 30-11-2022, 08:23 PM   #4744
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

People who ask a question, are given a reply with EVERYTHING they need to know, twice in fact, then go on to ask the same question again and don't even bother to acknowledge the effort you went into responding to their question.

This happens all the time on a certain American forum, often the person asking the question to respond to another (American) forum member. Australian's must be seen as dumb ***'s or not trustworthy in answering a question. Don't know why I bother sometimes.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2022, 09:28 PM   #4745
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

This is the result after having the battery disconnected for an hour or so:

And it's still staying on when the car's off and locked. So it doesn't flatten the battery, I've resorted to an 'emergency' kit which will allow me to remove the ICC battery fuse whilst the car's parked and then replace it whilst driving.

Seriously thinking about investing the $200 saving of the screen whilst it's on special to buy the 3 year warranty.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2022, 10:06 PM   #4746
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
People who ask a question, are given a reply with EVERYTHING they need to know, twice in fact, then go on to ask the same question again and don't even bother to acknowledge the effort you went into responding to their question.

This happens all the time on a certain American forum, often the person asking the question to respond to another (American) forum member. Australian's must be seen as dumb ***'s or not trustworthy in answering a question. Don't know why I bother sometimes.

YB perchance?
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2022, 10:21 PM   #4747
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

No good deed goes unpunished…

Doing a load to the concrete recycler, asked the putz across the road if he had any brick or concrete to get rid of - knew I’d be on minimum charge and well under tonnage irrespective. So he painfully drags over about one and a half dozen dead bricks/pavers, then asks if he can throw in a bag of cement “It’s rock hard”.

I told him, OK if you peel off the paper before carrying it over to the tray.

Carries it to the tray still in the bag, dumps it down solidly. “Is that OK?”. No, I told you to remove the paper before carrying it over. .

So he immediately peels off half the paper and (or course) it’s not even close to “rock hard”. 15kg of GP cement powder falls through the hundreds of punched holes in my tray mat. It took me about ninety minutes to clean (wash) the tray, the mat and my load cover after I returned from the recyclers, and I still have cement stains on the road outside.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 01-12-2022, 12:40 PM   #4748
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Seriously thinking about investing the $200 saving of the screen whilst it's on special to buy the 3 year warranty.
Its the only way to guarantee it will work faultlessly for a decade
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2022, 03:32 PM   #4749
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
Its the only way to guarantee it will work faultlessly for a decade
Just as a follow up to this and my original post, I contacted ASL for a replacement screen today. Advertised price is $695 on special (normally $895). I told them that they had installed this screen just over two years ago when I upgraded to allow fitment of a reverse camera. Fadi asked me if I wanted the sat/nav to which I said no, as I'm happy without it. Fadi offered to install the replacement screen with sat/nav for the advertised sale price, given the trouble I had been through. That was very generous, so I accepted. I then asked for the additional two year warranty (standard is 12 month) at $200. Fadi offered the replacement screen, sat/nav feature and a 3 year warranty all for $750.

Yes, that's $750 I have to fork out but that price is less that just the standard list price for the replacement screen, so it takes the edge off a bit.

Thanks Fadi.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

6 users like this post:
Old 01-12-2022, 08:15 PM   #4750
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
YB perchance?
I should probably know this, but what is YB?
Mustang GT

Old 02-12-2022, 03:27 AM   #4751
randel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Just as a follow up to this and my original post, I contacted ASL for a replacement screen today. Advertised price is $695 on special (normally $895). I told them that they had installed this screen just over two years ago when I upgraded to allow fitment of a reverse camera. Fadi asked me if I wanted the sat/nav to which I said no, as I'm happy without it. Fadi offered to install the replacement screen with sat/nav for the advertised sale price, given the trouble I had been through. That was very generous, so I accepted. I then asked for the additional two year warranty (standard is 12 month) at $200. Fadi offered the replacement screen, sat/nav feature and a 3 year warranty all for $750.

Yes, that's $750 I have to fork out but that price is less that just the standard list price for the replacement screen, so it takes the edge off a bit.

Thanks Fadi.
Yep, good result

Toys - 351 XY Falcon and FG GT
randel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2022, 07:43 PM   #4752
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Christmas music!

I work in a traditional bricks and mortar style retail business. So of course, the owners subscribe to the antiqued idea that playing Christmas music during December makes people spend more money.

NEWS FLASH: It's not 1987 anymore!

Also, plants as Christmas gifts are not usually bought until the last days before the day, so that people don't have to keep them alive for a month before dumping them on the giftee. So, playing annoying and inappropriate (as in, it's NOT bloody "cold outside" is it!) just ends up driving the staff nuts and pi.sing off the customers.

I would wager that playing this Sh.te just annoys people more than it makes them suddenly decide to spend their life savings on a meaningless, bullsh.t, holiday. I even have customers complain about it, and all I can do is smile and nod in agreement.

Mustang GT

8 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2022, 10:02 PM   #4753
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Now I’ve got a Bobby Helm earworm!
Old 06-12-2022, 11:17 AM   #4754
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Canberra tax, it's out of control and drives me crazy.

The headlining needs to be done in my Territory and it has factory mounted DVD player. Rang 4 places in Canberra, $880, $800, $770, $660. This is to replace the headlining.

Heading home to Melbourne for Christmas, ring the trimmer around the corner from Mrs parents house, $340 and booked it in. Then I rang two other places near them out of interest, $360 and $400.
Old 07-12-2022, 07:55 AM   #4755
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Christmas music!

I keep hoping, in vain, that Australian retailers, advertisers and media people will eventually realise that it doesn't snow here in December. We don't have reindeers and sleighs, or chimneys.
Even Jimmy Barnes has got in on the Christmas music thing.
In 1987, which is not that far in the past for me, those Euro and North American ideas were way outdated.
Unfortunately, these 'traditions' from countries that are not Australia are increasing ......... Halloween, Black Friday sales, Xmas in July ............ aghhh.
What next ......... 4July sales, Thanksgiving turkeys, Chinese Golden Week.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 07-12-2022, 08:57 AM   #4756
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

would you prefer bloody ching ling style music and lifestyle
Old 07-12-2022, 09:43 AM   #4757
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Why can’t we have cricket in the street, footy in the park and people taking the eyes of a cold spread to a beachside picnic for marking “seasonal” recreation? When did these events need replacing, and why?

I would not be surprised if a council (or two) spent millions on a snow maker just to appease newer Australians who think it should be like that everywhere in December.
3 users like this post:
Old 07-12-2022, 10:25 AM   #4758
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Why can’t we have cricket in the street, footy in the park and people taking the eyes of a cold spread to a beachside picnic for marking “seasonal” recreation? When did these events need replacing, and why?

I would not be surprised if a council (or two) spent millions on a snow maker just to appease newer Australians who think it should be like that everywhere in December.
You can if people speak up against the WOKE crowd but unfortunately many people are just like sheep.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2022, 12:39 PM   #4759
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
would you prefer bloody ching ling style music and lifestyle
Don't twist the comment, and put words in my computer. Ching ling music and lifestyle has SFA to do with what I wrote.

At present I am listing to 'The Essential Redgum' CD. Not a Jingle Bell to be heard.
I am wishing for a more Australian orientated Christmas, or Festive Season, or whatever you want to call it, that is more in tune with our climate and country in the middle of December.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2022, 02:22 PM   #4760
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
I keep hoping, in vain, that Australian retailers, advertisers and media people will eventually realise that it doesn't snow here in December. We don't have reindeers and sleighs, or chimneys.
Even Jimmy Barnes has got in on the Christmas music thing.
In 1987, which is not that far in the past for me, those Euro and North American ideas were way outdated.
Unfortunately, these 'traditions' from countries that are not Australia are increasing ......... Halloween, Black Friday sales, Xmas in July ............ aghhh.
What next ......... 4July sales, Thanksgiving turkeys, Chinese Golden Week.
You ought to know the retailers will push onto you all the American crap for the $$$ and the Galah's in this country go along with it by buying the merchandise.

Hey, I don't mind Santa and his reindeers on my roof, I've been doing this for over 40 years and will keep on doing it, bit of tradition handed down to me by my parents, after all Santa is from the North Pole
Cheers
Old 07-12-2022, 02:39 PM   #4761
marty351
Shenanigans..............

My belief in the he miraculous abilities of Santa Claus became very short lived when my mum said he could fit through a gas heater flue.

What about Guy Fawkes/Bonfire night?
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2022, 06:57 PM   #4762
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
My belief in the he miraculous abilities of Santa Claus became very short lived when my mum said he could fit through a gas heater flue.

What about Guy Fawkes/Bonfire night?
Bring it back I was the biggest hoon with fireworks!
Old 10-12-2022, 01:39 PM   #4763
notNA

Quote:
This is the result after having the battery disconnected for an hour or so:

And it's still staying on when the car's off and locked. So it doesn't flatten the battery, I've resorted to an 'emergency' kit which will allow me to remove the ICC battery fuse whilst the car's parked and then replace it whilst driving.

happen to get it fixed?
notNA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2022, 03:06 PM   #4764
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by notNA View Post
happen to get it fixed?
Sure did. Called ASL on the Friday, booked the car in for the following Monday, drove down to their office, and after sitting in their waiting room for about 45 minutes, got my ute back all fixed. And now with sat/nav to boot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3 users like this post:
Old 10-12-2022, 07:33 PM   #4765
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I have a long-term gardening client who has recently taken to calling me several times a week for trivial concerns.

The backstory; I have been mowing his and his daughters' lawns since I left school in 2004. Recently, I picked up another job mowing and maintaining a new commercial property. That's when the calls started to become frequent.

This property is located in a, lets say, a lower socioeconomic area. So, plants have been walking off in the middle of the night. That in itself is a "Geez, I hate that!" sort of thing. I mean, really, what use would a meth head have for several Murraya's, two advanced Magnolia's and a collection of Gardenia's and Rhaphiolepis? More to the point, what am I supposed to do other than replacing them every two weeks?

Anyway, I get phoned at all hours of the day or week about something in regard to this lawn/garden. Yesterday, I was called at 7am and again at 9am wanting to have the sprinklers come on at 6am instead of 4am so that he can see them working. I mean, go back to bed would be my recommendation, but ok, I will change them over at next visit.

Two weeks ago, it was a phone call at 8.55am on a Sunday morning, a week later it was a phone call at 9.30am on Sunday morning. Earlier in the piece, I was also being phoned at 7pm. All for stuff that could have waited or be asked in a text message and replied to at a more appropriate time.

I don't bother answering the calls now. Most of the time I can preempt what he is calling for and send him a text message with my reply.

I think I need to start turning my phone off..........................or throw it in the river and be done with modern societies expectation that everyone should be contactable 24 hours a day.

For those who question the reason why a plumber, builder or any tradesman charges what they do, keep in mind they don't get paid when taking phone calls from customers who think you are their personal slave.
Mustang GT

6 users like this post:
Old 10-12-2022, 09:13 PM   #4766
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my mob switches to answering ph and leave a message, its also on silent so I dont even hear the thing, deal with it tomorrow if its important
Old 11-12-2022, 10:33 AM   #4767
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
I have a long-term gardening client who has recently taken to calling me several times a week for trivial concerns.

The backstory; I have been mowing his and his daughters' lawns since I left school in 2004. Recently, I picked up another job mowing and maintaining a new commercial property. That's when the calls started to become frequent.

This property is located in a, lets say, a lower socioeconomic area. So, plants have been walking off in the middle of the night. That in itself is a "Geez, I hate that!" sort of thing. I mean, really, what use would a meth head have for several Murraya's, two advanced Magnolia's and a collection of Gardenia's and Rhaphiolepis? More to the point, what am I supposed to do other than replacing them every two weeks?

Anyway, I get phoned at all hours of the day or week about something in regard to this lawn/garden. Yesterday, I was called at 7am and again at 9am wanting to have the sprinklers come on at 6am instead of 4am so that he can see them working. I mean, go back to bed would be my recommendation, but ok, I will change them over at next visit.

Two weeks ago, it was a phone call at 8.55am on a Sunday morning, a week later it was a phone call at 9.30am on Sunday morning. Earlier in the piece, I was also being phoned at 7pm. All for stuff that could have waited or be asked in a text message and replied to at a more appropriate time.

I don't bother answering the calls now. Most of the time I can preempt what he is calling for and send him a text message with my reply.

I think I need to start turning my phone off..........................or throw it in the river and be done with modern societies expectation that everyone should be contactable 24 hours a day.

For those who question the reason why a plumber, builder or any tradesman charges what they do, keep in mind they don't get paid when taking phone calls from customers who think you are their personal slave.
Sometimes you have to take firm action to stop this, tell them what is acceptable to you, after all you too have a life and recreational needs for yourself.
3 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2022, 10:48 AM   #4768
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I have someone who similarly makes a pest of themselves - and there is no more accurate word for what is described here. They are impervious to polite suggestions; just a space cadet. At some point it may get rather ugly.
4 users like this post:
Old 15-12-2022, 06:20 PM   #4769
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

A rivnut has just locked onto its bolt and started spinning. I’m fitting side steps to the Territory and totally didn’t need this.
5 users like this post:
Old 19-12-2022, 11:49 AM   #4770
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had the wifes side of the family, 14 people, over for Christmas dinner last night.
A bit warm, turn on the air con, nothing, great.
It working just fine day before.
2 users like this post: