Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 02-02-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
JUZXR8
Hmmmmm

Default WT Fiesta vs Mazda 2

Hey guys,

As the title suggests I'm looking at new cars for the other half. Have narrowed it down to either the WT Fiesta Auto or a Mazda 2 Genki/Maxx Auto.

I am leaning towards the Fiesta purely because of all the good reports. Just hoping someone on here has had experience with the two and can offer some advice?

Thanks guys

Edit - changed from Mazda 3 (typo) to Mazda 2.

Last edited by JUZXR8; 02-02-2011 at 03:05 PM.
JUZXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 03:03 PM   #2
kocho
The Futuriser

No Genki in the Mazda 3 range, Genki is the Mazda 2. Neo is the base Mazda 3.

Previous 2003 BA Ford Futura.

CKGD - Freelance Graphic Designer
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
JUZXR8
Hmmmmm

ahh yeah typo, sorry i did mean the Mazda 2, did the same thing when i looked them up on Carsales before and couldn't find what i was looking for....haha
Old 02-02-2011, 04:37 PM   #4
Foobar
Irregular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUZXR8
I am leaning towards the Fiesta purely because of all the good reports. Just hoping someone on here has had experience with the two and can offer some advice?
I just (yesterday) got out of a BA MKII XR6 Turbo and into a WT LX Turbo Diesel hatch. Quite the change for me but it's time to be sensible. I was lucky to get 400k's out of a tank in the BA (60 or so Litres) and I'm hoping to get considerably more from the 45L tank in the Fiesta.

I did a lot of reading before making up my mind and after taking one for a test drive, it was clear it was a great little car more than capable of doing what I needed. I couldn't find anyone saying anything bad about the WS/WT Fiestas, just loads of praise. The only possible sticking point was the WT coming out of Thailand but I guess robots don't know or care what country they're in.

Standing outside the vehicle while it's running, it's pretty much impossible to tell it's a diesel, amazingly quiet. The steering is light and precise, clutch is also feather light, that is, compared to the BA. Nothing vague about the gearbox either, very precise. The chassis is astonishingly stable as well, I really chucked the car into some corners and it left me lost for words.

Do yourself a favour and go drive some (petrol, diesel, autos, manuals, the lot). I can't stress this enough - don't overlook the diesel, I reckon anyone comparing flavours will be pleasantly surprised. I was, so much so I bought one.

You get more engine choice in the Fiesta range compared to the Mazda. I knew they came out of the same place so I thought it'd be worth checking the Mazda range out but was seriously disappointed to find my options were so limited.

I knew what the dealer was chasing for the car before I got there but I also knew they would do some good deals to shift the stock, now's the right time to get one of these, new model (WT) at runout prices.

Eesh, I didn't mean to ramble on so long... get while the getting is good.
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 06:04 PM   #5
kocho
The Futuriser

Quote:
ahh yeah typo, sorry i did mean the Mazda 2, did the same thing when i looked them up on Carsales before and couldn't find what i was looking for....haha
No worries. Sister purchased a Mazda 3 today but we didn't look at the 2's much so I can't help you there.

Previous 2003 BA Ford Futura.

CKGD - Freelance Graphic Designer
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 07:11 PM   #6
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's amazing some of the cars new Fiesta buyers are coming from, congrats Foobar! Definitely a step down in size and power, but in terms of kit, safety, reliability, tech and driveability it's no compromise.

While I don't own a WT Fiesta, having driven one, and owning a WS, I can't praise the cars enough. I too looked at the Mazda 2, but I knew the Fiesta was the perfect fit. I found the inside of the Mazda cramped, despite being essentially the same sized car, lacking kit (has been countered with newer models) and lacking the ride, handling and tech the Fiesta offers. I'm biased towards Ford, no doubt about that, but the Fiesta wins reviews worldwide, it's a hat trick of a car.

Add to that what the WT brings, an optional diesel, a duel clutch PowerShift transmission, even more kit, just as good built quality, sharper pricing and still one sexy little car.

Mate, you can't go wrong with it. But at the end of the day it's your choice, do drive it, ask to have it for some time, make sure it fits your needs and has enough power, the air con is good enough (the one of few weak points for the WS Fiesta) and it's comfortable. Good luck!
Old 02-02-2011, 08:14 PM   #7
JUZXR8
Hmmmmm

Thanks alot for the advice guys, and for the anecdotes.

As I mentioned, I am really keen on the Fiesta, and I have my eye on a nice Zetec.

The other half would prefer a Mazda 2 Genki, but we are booked in for some test drives on Saturday, so hopefully I can talk her into another Blue Oval! After selling my XR8, I've really been hanging for a new car to play around with and the Fiesta sounds like a really good base to start with.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:58 PM   #8
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you're in the market for a Zetec you MAY be able to snag a great deal on a run-out WS Zetec? It does miss out on some of the new features, like full side-curtain airbags, but apart from a few other little things is pretty much on par, and has a soft touch dash and bigger rear drum brakes!
Old 03-02-2011, 12:59 AM   #9
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We drove the mazda 2 genki and for my missus, she thought the fiesta interior was like chalk and cheese. digital radio, voice control, the interior at night with all the ambient lighting, deadlocks, awesome stereo, headlights on at night to help while you walk inside after you get out, even the rear wiper automatically coming on when you click reverse in the rain.

But you have to drive them all. Its amazing what things the missus wont like or will like in a car.
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2011, 03:20 AM   #10
morbo

Off memory, the Mazda 2 has just had a minor update. The have minor cosmetic revisions and they are now made back in Japan (not Thailand). The new Genki isn't out yet - just the Neo and Maxx.
morbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2011, 07:53 AM   #11
JUZXR8
Hmmmmm

Yeah the new Mazda 2's are due towards the end of this month. Just visual changes from what i have been told, the only real change according to the dealer is colour coded door handles for the Neos...haha

After looking through the pages here and in the Show and Shine forum, and seeing all of your Fiestas, I am really really craving one now!
Old 03-02-2011, 09:47 PM   #12
morbo

good luck matey. imho, they are both good cars. its just degrees of small goodness.
morbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2011, 12:13 PM   #13
JUZXR8
Hmmmmm

http://www.bayford.com.au/results?Ns...25&loc_index=0

This is one of the cars i am looking at. I know its only a base model not a Zetec, but for the price i can buy it and do what i want with money left over.

Can anybody tell me anything about the powershift transmission?
Old 04-02-2011, 09:32 PM   #14
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Only had one drive of a new WT with powershift, and first impression is that it will take a little getting used to. It was doing a little gear-hunting, and constant shifting. That said, I'm sure it will smooth out as it get used to my style - or, rather, my wife's style. And, to be fair, I was just driving it around local streets, so there was a lot of accelerating and decelerating.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2011, 09:37 PM   #15
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Can anybody tell me anything about the powershift transmission?
A VW sales person told me he would NEVER like to have a DSG transmission out of warranty (DSG is VWs version of PowerShift). While if the transmission died, it would be expensive, I do commonly look over the VW forums and no complaints there.

The Focus has had the PowerShift in diesel form for a little while now, and I don't remember any negative comments regarding reliability. Many reviewers are saying Ford has a smoother, more refined and quicker setup than VW, which blew me away as the DSG is fantastic.

Nothing negative so far, and for the savings in fuel economy over a typical transmission, combined with the quicker action, added refinement, well I would say it definitely has appeal.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:14 PM   #16
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and it is a no brainer when you consider what the WS auto package was like
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2011, 07:28 PM   #17
JUZXR8
Hmmmmm

Well after todays efforts, My partner and I are proud owners of a Metropolitan Grey WT CL Fiesta!

Great little car, and i was amazed at how many features it coems with as standard!

We pick the car up this coming friday.

Now its time to do some upgrades, Been looking at wheels already and we both like a set of King wheels in 16'. We have the option of 17', but i am unsure of how much this would affect the ride? Coming from having 19s on a previous car I am aware of how great an impact iot can have.

Also looking at getting some of the Zetec fog lights for it, does anyone know how much they are through Ford? or if there is anyone doing aftermarket ones?

I will post up some photos as soon as we get it!

Thanks again for all of your advice guys, was very helpfull!
Old 05-02-2011, 11:37 PM   #18
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I didn't notice any major different in ride from the 16" alloys to my 17" rims. I do notice th extra weight in them through corners, but it's nothing horrible, it actually kind of counters the light steering slightly. As far as ride, quietness or handling is concerned, any minor trade off in these is worth the massive improvement in looks! And the trade off is so very tiny, I mean mine rides just about the same, only low speeds do I notice a slight decrease in bump absorbency. Noise is the same, but that's dependent on the tires too. Go for it

And congrats!