Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 18-01-2022, 07:08 PM   #18031
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Elective surgeries in the public system are always performed long after the patient wishes to have them done. What are the consequences of that?

Reality is, we don't bat an eyelid during flu season, but that's about where we are in terms of hospitalisations, though the death rate seems to be about 50% higher so far. The main issue seems to be the infection control measures and the inefficiencies they create, not so much the absolute number of cases. There's something to be said for letting it rip and getting it over with, rather than hard restrictions and a long drawn out wave of infections.
Well whatever the normal waiting period is, they can add whatever the delay is now on top due to the surge. Heard that this includes people on IVF, so for some, there is no second chance if they miss the schedule. Maybe those are the sacrifices needed for extra freedom.

The health system is already struggling to cope with the current settings, which IMHO is a reasonable balance. So what would treating it like the flu do? Those advocating to treat it like the flu now are essentially saying no more tests at hospitals or aged care settings, because we don't do that for the flu.

Turning the computer off may make the news go away, but not the reality.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
This user likes this post:
Old 18-01-2022, 11:18 PM   #18032
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

3m RATs arrived for Vic yesterday, and distribution has started. Check with your local authorities on where you can pick them up. My folks picked up a few tests from Deaken Uni out in Burwood this afternoon. Not sure how it works, but they were also able to pick up my "share" even though I was not there.

https://www.premier.vic.gov.au/milli...oria-more-come

Quote:
More than 400,000 RATs were distributed at more than 60 Victorian PCR testing centres last week.

The number of free RATs distributed via PCR testing sites has increased daily, with 91,000 distributed yesterday compared with 1,900 on day one of the program.

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

Old 19-01-2022, 07:12 AM   #18033
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The USA can do it, but not Australia

https://www.covidtests.gov/
Old 19-01-2022, 10:19 AM   #18034
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
Think of the teens at the moment and how their life will play out. Covid has affected their schooling, it will have an effect on getting a job and starting a career. They still have to pay considerably more for housing than you guys probably did, they’ll get told repeatedly by older generations that they have to work hard for a good retirement and can’t have everything now.. but when they finally get to that age there will still be a disease around that kills the elderly in greater numbers than the flu… as well as the flu still being around too. Then there’s having to live with the climate change consequences that prior generations caused, what a life to look forward to.

yeah...I think of teens all the time....

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
5 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2022, 11:34 AM   #18035
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Australia
NSW records 32,297 cases in the current period and the 10-day average growth rate increases to 1.0435 (from 1.0019) while the actual line remains below the predictive trend line. Both State based predictive trend charts have been amended to 3rd order polynomials from today.

VIC records 20,769 cases in the current period and the 10-day average growth rate decreases to 0.9360 (from 0.9775) while the actual line remains below the predictive trend.

The Northern Territory (625) and ACT (1,860) set new daily highs yesterday (18/1).

Here is the predictive trend graph for three States based on cases since Omicron was identified which, for our purposes, will be taken as December 1st. Note that Queensland numbers are a day behind the other two States.

As it was the end of our week on Monday, here are the weekly case numbers with NSW having slightly more cases then Victoria last week although Victoria recorded 15,883 less cases than the previous week while NSW recorded 52,078 more.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2022, 11:59 AM   #18036
slowsnake
Banned

Code Brown...........

That's racist isn't it?

Makes me laugh, just too funny....
Old 19-01-2022, 12:09 PM   #18037
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
The USA can do it, but not Australia

https://www.covidtests.gov/
Tell you what Trev, the death toll to get to that point of free tests is shocking really, but we have only 10% approximately of America's population and the USA were smart enough to buy the Qld company that started the "home" tests and the factory was built there and that is where this Government failed its people

PS- a terrible lack of forsight on ScuMo's part!

Last edited by slowsnake; 19-01-2022 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Add PS.
Old 19-01-2022, 12:48 PM   #18038
leesa

Scomo is religious, he’ll never be able to separate his religious beliefs from his political duties. One seeps into the other. He believes in a god and that influences his decisions, why is anyone surprised that his actions have largely been “what happens, happens”?

Old 19-01-2022, 01:26 PM   #18039
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Scomo is religious, he’ll never be able to separate his religious beliefs from his political duties. One seeps into the other. He believes in a god and that influences his decisions, why is anyone surprised that his actions have largely been “what happens, happens”?
Belief in God and religion are two VERY different things. The rest, people can judge for themselves.

Rides (past and present)

6 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2022, 01:40 PM   #18040
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT January 18th 2022.

74,934 new cases for Australia and 77 deaths so the CMR is 0.148%. That’s the highest single day death tally thus far.

NZ recorded 43 cases and 0 deaths for a CMR of 0.343%.

The UK recorded 93,890 cases and 438 deaths for a CMR of 0.994%.

981,352 new cases in the USA yesterday and 1,824 deaths sees CMR at 1.286%.

Other notable points:
Global cases pass 334M;
Europe sets a new daily record with 1,374,599 cases;
Europe passes 106M cases;
Asia passes 91M cases;
North America passes 80M cases;
Oceania passes 2M cases;
Italy passes 9M cases;
The USA passes 68M cases;

Suriname (1,404);
North Macedonia (2,265);
Moldova (2,681) – the previous high (2,273) on 24/3/21;
Albania (2,832);
Bosnia (3,342);
Latvia (3,706);
Costa Rica (5,365);
Paraguay (5,415);
Saudi Arabia (5,873);
Slovenia (8,681);
Bulgaria (11,181);
Panama (11,519);
Martinique (11,610);
Norway (15,367);
Serbia (18,006);
Réunion (31,401);
Denmark (31,941);
Portugal (43,729);
Germany (95,098);
Brazil (132,254) – the previous high (114,139) on 23/6/21;
Italy (228,179); and
France (464,769)

... all recorded new highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Poland, Oman, Algeria and Slovakia move above the 90th percentile for the 10 day period and Namibia drops below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 02-02-2022 at 12:50 AM.
Old 19-01-2022, 01:41 PM   #18041
hayseed

Quote:
Scomo is religious, ?

He may well be religious..!! But He's No Christian...
3 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2022, 01:44 PM   #18042
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
Why? NSW has essentially peaked, hospitalisations will peak today or tomorrow in all likelihood. As that number begins to fall, the interest in buying RATs will wane as rapidly as it did for sanitisers. Any supplier still placing bulk orders today is probably throwing money away.
Old 19-01-2022, 01:49 PM   #18043
hayseed

Quote:
Why? NSW has essentially peaked, hospitalisations will peak today or tomorrow in all likelihood. As that number begins to fall, the interest in buying RATs will wane as rapidly as it did for sanitisers. Any supplier still placing bulk orders today is probably throwing money away.
Here's a very interesting perspective in this..

https://thenewdaily.com.au/opinion/2...onal-scenario/
Old 19-01-2022, 02:00 PM   #18044
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
3m RATs arrived for Vic yesterday, and distribution has started. Check with your local authorities on where you can pick them up. My folks picked up a few tests from Deaken Uni out in Burwood this afternoon. Not sure how it works, but they were also able to pick up my "share" even though I was not there.

https://www.premier.vic.gov.au/milli...oria-more-come
When you say your "share" was the reason you are a carer for your parents or because you live at the same address?
Old 19-01-2022, 02:06 PM   #18045
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
You may well be very correct with this comment as I was purely looking for RAT test kits for my impending visit to Tasmania. Now that they have dropped the PCR/Rat tests & permit requirements for fully vaccinated people entering the state demand must surely diminish for travelers.
It will soon only be a requirement if you display symptoms or companies policies of testing.
Old 19-01-2022, 02:23 PM   #18046
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
When you say your "share" was the reason you are a carer for your parents or because you live at the same address?
I'm not a registered "carer" as such. I don't really know how they did it. I was surprised they could pick up a kit for me. Apparently my dad just asked. Maybe the guy giving it out wasnt following procedure. Who knows. Tbh I have not gone looking for RATs. Just the folks get anxious so they have been actively seeking it out.

Rides (past and present)

Old 19-01-2022, 02:30 PM   #18047
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
Here's a very interesting perspective in this..
Hrmmmm.... shows you how politicised this has all become. The TGA dont require the minister's approval to grant regulatory approval for diagnostic kits. Just goes to show how beholden to business the government are - the private pathologists (PCR testing labs) lobbied the government hard to restrict RAT kit access to protect their profits.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2022, 04:31 PM   #18048
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Everybody on this planet will be buying RAT test kits for years to come, every time they feel off colour, sick, under the weather, runny nose, get the sniffles, they immediately think " Covid " not cold or flu or a reaction to pollen, but " Covid "........
Old 19-01-2022, 04:36 PM   #18049
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
https://www.innovationaus.com/extrem...imported-rats/
Old 19-01-2022, 04:37 PM   #18050
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
why is anyone surprised that his actions have largely been “what happens, happens”?
When you have a virus that is mutating ot its own time, behaving and changing direction under it own steam as it sees fit, how doesn't one broadly say "whatever happens, happens" and then react to it in the best way possible.

The things he and other leaders do have control over, laws, restrictions, etc, etc, people largely don't want and aren't respected by all.

The only way to try turn a "whatever happens, happens" scenario into a "this is what we are doing and how its going to end" scenario is exhibit a high level of control that no one wants or will respect.

One of my uncles lives in Melbourne. He is 76 and is the very definition of a mobility scooter riding list of comorbidities. Cardiac issues, gastric issues, diabetes and is morbidly obese. 2 weeks ago we went to hospital because he was vomiting. While there he was diagnosed with covid and put into an isolation area. He was released 5 days later when he was 80% recovered after experiencing strong symptoms for about 18 hours just over a day in.

A very old family friend I grew up with is a nurse who runs wards at a hospital. She is in her late 30's. She'd had covid 3 times since the the start of the pandemic, the 3rd diagnosis only a few days ago. Each time she recovered within 7 to 8 days and was back at work. But, she never gave it to her husband or kids. Never to friends and family she interacted with before knowing the diagnosis.

How does one plan for all these weird and wide variables? Apart from basically saying "we're doing our best, but at some stage whatever happens, happens".

Take a leaf out of Doris Day's playbook

Quote:
Que Sera Sera
Whatever will be will be
The future's not ours to see
Que Sera Sera
What will be will be
3 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2022, 04:49 PM   #18051
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm not a registered "carer" as such. I don't really know how they did it. I was surprised they could pick up a kit for me. Apparently my dad just asked. Maybe the guy giving it out wasnt following procedure. Who knows. Tbh I have not gone looking for RATs. Just the folks get anxious so they have been actively seeking it out.
It might be that when you say the right magic words you're rewarded with a kit.

Dad was at his local Chemist Warehouse yesterday when a lady walked in and said to the person at the script desk "I'm a nurse at the hospital (she apparently had the right uniform on) and I think my kids have covid, they are showing symptoms. Can I get some tests kits to check if I can go to work tomorrow" to which she was handed 2 boxes of 2, paid and left.

Dad said they had a sign at the front saying "No RAT tests available" and when he asked the same person for a box he was told "Sorry, no stock."

Pi$$ed me off to know that a nurse who had suspicions of being in contact with positive people went in to the store in the first place. Could have at least called and said the same story but "can you bring them to my car" or something. But magic words worked magic it seems.

Also just read this on the Hervey Bay Covid Community Page

Quote:
It has come to our attention that as stock moves into stores on the Fraser Coast, people who are eligible for FREE RAT TESTS, are going to stores, grabbing the RATS and walking out of the store assuming they are FREE.

RATS IN STORES ARE NOT FREE.
THESE MUST BE PAID FOR.

Those people eligible for the FREE RAT TESTS can only acquire them at specified distribution centres and at testing clinics.

AGAIN:

STORES SELLING RATS ON THE FRASER COAST DO NOT SUPPLY ‘FREE’ RATS, THESE MUST BE PAID FOR.

Thank you
Bl00dy nutters around here.
4 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2022, 10:24 PM   #18052
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

WTF is going on?! The US has slapped a Level 4 "Do Not Travel" on us. Not only does that mean don't travel to Aus, but it also means, get the heck out of there as soon as you can for their citizens.

This, on the same day we're enticing students and backpackers to come back

https://www.9news.com.au/national/co...3-07dcc2e64f89

Quote:
According to the US Department of State, a Level 4 travel warning is the "highest advisory level due to greater likelihood of life-threatening risks".

"The Department of State advises that US citizens not travel to the country or to leave as soon as it is safe to do so."
Should also add...

Quote:
However, much of the world is under the same advisory, including Canada, most of Europe, much of Africa and parts of South America.

Rides (past and present)

Old 19-01-2022, 10:24 PM   #18053
George V
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
Tell you what Trev, the death toll to get to that point of free tests is shocking really, but we have only 10% approximately of America's population and the USA were smart enough to buy the Qld company that started the "home" tests and the factory was built there and that is where this Government failed its people

USA - The land of the free...(rats?)
AUS - doesn't give (free) rats???

Just kidding, please do not take it seriously.

Cheers,
George V
3 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2022, 05:35 AM   #18054
slowsnake
Banned

And all this time I thought the vector was ozone
Old 20-01-2022, 07:20 AM   #18055
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Im sure it has nothing to do with with easing restrictions for travel.

Must be the wind I guess.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by russellw; 20-01-2022 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Removed quote
Old 20-01-2022, 10:21 AM   #18056
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Djokovic has 80% stake in biotech firm developing Covid drug
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ntbiores-covid

Quote:
Novak Djokovic is the controlling shareholder in a Danish biotech firm aiming to develop a treatment for Covid-19 that does not involve vaccination, it has emerged.

The world No 1, who was deported from Australia this week after the government cancelled his visa in a dispute over a medical exemption relating to his unvaccinated status, bought an 80% stake in QuantBioRes in 2020.

Ivan Loncarevic, the company’s chief executive, confirmed the investment to Reuters. He subsequently told the Financial Times that he had not spoken to Djokovic, who has won more than $150m in prize money, since November and that the tennis star was “not anti-vax”.

QuantBioRes has about 11 researchers working in Denmark, Australia and Slovenia, according to Loncarevic, who stressed the company was working on a treatment, not a vaccine. The company’s website says it started developing a “deactivation mechanism” for Covid-19 in July 2020.

Rides (past and present)

2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2022, 10:47 AM   #18057
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Australia
NSW records 30,825 cases in the current period and the 10-day average growth rate increases to 1.0715 (from 1.0435) while the actual line remains below the predictive trend line.

VIC records 21,966 cases in the current period and the 10-day average growth rate increases to 0.9630 (from 0.9360) while the actual line remains below the predictive trend.

No States set new daily highs yesterday (19/1).

Here is the predictive trend graph for three States based on cases since Omicron was identified which, for our purposes, will be taken as December 1st. Note that Queensland numbers are a day behind the other two States.

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2022, 11:55 AM   #18058
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:

Djokovic has 80% stake in biotech firm developing Covid drug
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ntbiores-covid
Then if so he should be banned from Australia for life, he has obviously used us as a crash test dummy for his own company!
Old 20-01-2022, 11:56 AM   #18059
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

NSW hospitalisations (and ICU admissions) went down for the first time, So here at least, it looks like we've peaked and we're finally on the downward slope.
Old 20-01-2022, 12:50 PM   #18060
slowsnake
Banned

Just had my Pfizer booster shot, it was recommended by the Government Health Service, its early according to their regimen, asked for a printout showing I am now triple vaxxed, Mygov would not allow the nurse to add the booster to the My Health page, reason, booster given too early?.......they told me to do it?

Strange stuff really
Closed Thread