Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 03-10-2019, 10:18 AM   #1
navman
Camry Hybrid

Default MD Mondeo Titanium - Bluefin tune

Has anyone with the petrol or diesel engine performed this tune? Ecoboost models promise up to 200kw and Duratorqs go up to 179kw. Just wondering the effect on performance and fuel consumption. Especially the petrol, does it improve it any? What's the 0-100 like?

Haven't got a Mondeo myself yet but seriously considering it over the equivalent Skodas and VWs given the price of second hand models.
navman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2019, 06:01 PM   #2
thebigd

Default Re: MD Mondeo Titanium - Bluefin tune

Hey navman.
I have considered purchasing the (Diesel) Bluefin product for a while. Have been reading various forums in the UK regarding this tune, as there's been plenty more done over there.
All reports on the 132 kW upgrade appear positive. Around half report better fuel economy, with the other half saying no change. All report more power, especially from third gear. With comments like "a completely different car to drive" common in the threads.
I believe you can achieve 224BHP (167kW) & 477Nm, which is similar to what the EU's twin turbo version makes. Consequently you dont exceed the DMF & DCT limitations.
At $625, I'm still on the fence. The diesel goes pretty good out of the box... but I know it can go better with this device.

Last edited by thebigd; 04-10-2019 at 06:25 PM.
thebigd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2019, 06:42 PM   #3
navman
Camry Hybrid

I am strongly leaning towards the diesel because it's literally half the running costs of the petrol. But I'm worried about performance and that DCT gearbox. I'd be upgrading from an EcoLPI Falcon which has 198kw/400Nm so it pulls right from down low all the way through the rev range. I don't want to lose that feeling, so that's why I'd consider the diesel only with the tune.

Another issue is, is 450+ Nm a good idea on a FWD car? How would the torque steer be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigd View Post
Have been reading various forums in the UK regarding this tune, as there's been plenty more done over there.

Can you link to a few as I'm having trouble finding any forums.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:47 PM   #4
thebigd

Don't worry about the DCT on the Mk5 / MD diesels. I haven't read of any problems with this set up. The Focus got some bad press with their DCT, but ran a dry system. The diesel is wet.
Small world. I made the transition from an FG2 XR6 EcoLPI to Mondeo Trend diesel. Yes they're different, but for a fleet / company car as I have, the Mondeo is the closest match IMO. My H/O reported that running costs are similar.
Torque steer is is minimal thanks to the electric steering, and torque limiting in first and second gear (I think ?).
I'll send you a PM on the weekend re the forums I have been reading.

Last edited by thebigd; 04-10-2019 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:13 PM   #5
thebigd

... and just to add. Yes the LPi engine was a weapon. Put 250,000k's on my last one. 15,000k oil changes, and the oil still looked like new. A bit thirsty at mid 14's per 100, but the LPG pricing offset that.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:21 PM   #6
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by navman View Post
I am strongly leaning towards the diesel because it's literally half the running costs of the petrol. But I'm worried about performance and that DCT gearbox. I'd be upgrading from an EcoLPI Falcon which has 198kw/400Nm so it pulls right from down low all the way through the rev range. I don't want to lose that feeling, so that's why I'd consider the diesel only with the tune.

Another issue is, is 450+ Nm a good idea on a FWD car? How would the torque steer be?

Can you link to a few as I'm having trouble finding any forums.
I have the tune in my TDCi Kuga.
It transforms the way the car drives. You lose the, hit the pedal and wait moments, it just goes. My econ around town was 7.1-7.3L/100 before the tune and now 7.3-7.4L/100 after. I'm heading on a road trip so it's going to be interesting to see what i can get.

Re the gearbox, just have them serviced.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2019, 01:01 PM   #7
navman
Camry Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorya View Post
I have the tune in my TDCi Kuga.
It transforms the way the car drives.

What would the 0-100 sprint be like after the tune?
Old 07-10-2019, 07:41 PM   #8
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by navman View Post
What would the 0-100 sprint be like after the tune?
Hi mate,
I'm not much into times but as a driving experience,
Un-tuned, you hit the accelerator, wait 1-3 counts then bag, torque hit!
Tuned, hit the accelerator, torque hit straight away. Shoves you into the chair. Alot stronger than a non-tuned one.

I've just done 1030km and used 69L fuel. ie/ 6.7L/100km in my tuned TDCi Kuga.
When overtaking, it just takes off, no wait time, just acceleration. I have alot more confidence pulling out to make overtaking moves now.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-11-2019, 08:06 PM   #9
thebigd

I finally took the plunge and ordered mine today !
Looking forward to the improvement on an "already great" car.
3 users like this post:
Old 25-11-2019, 06:34 PM   #10
thebigd

Received my Bluefin today.
Have downloaded the original map onto the device, and uploaded it to Superchips UK via their PC desktop app.
Hopefully an email back tomorrow with the new tune !
Old 26-11-2019, 07:20 AM   #11
thebigd

Quote:
Received my Bluefin today.
Have downloaded the original map onto the device, and uploaded it to Superchips UK via their PC desktop app.
Hopefully an email back tomorrow with the new tune !
Received notification overnight that the tune was ready for download.
Downloaded onto the device this morning, and uploaded successfully to the car just now. The whole process took around 20 minutes.
I note that my Mondeo currently has 13200 k's on the clock, with overall fuel economy sitting at 5.9L per 100. I will reset Trip B and monitor the economy.
Look forward to jumping in and driving her down the coast today.
Will report back this afternoon with my findings.
Old 26-11-2019, 07:31 PM   #12
thebigd

Quote:
Received notification overnight that the tune was ready for download.
Downloaded onto the device this morning, and uploaded successfully to the car just now. The whole process took around 20 minutes.
I note that my Mondeo currently has 13200 k's on the clock, with overall fuel economy sitting at 5.9L per 100. I will reset Trip B and monitor the economy.
Look forward to jumping in and driving her down the coast today.
Will report back this afternoon with my findings.
Ok, so first day experience.
After the first gentle press of the accelerator, I knew things were different, not in a huge way, but different.
After a few starts from red lights, it was clear that the car had cut the (minimal) lag off the mark in half.
Was on the M1 cruising at 100 (110 zone). Decided to go 50% of throttle. She held 6th and just pulled away, like never before.
Shifted to S mode a couple of times around town. MD diesel owners know that you don't need to rev these things to drive around comfortably. If you want to experience something like (I assume) our Ecoboost Mondeo family enjoy, change to sport mode. It was fun. She wanted to rev and break traction a couple of times, but honestly, no need for that.
This appears to be more of a torque tune IMO. But then torque is power.
I can now hear the turbo. Seems to spool more at low revs if you push it. Sweet sound. I believe the tune increases the boost from 25 to 28 psi.
240 k's traveled today. Got home with 5.1 / per 100.
4 users like this post:
Old 29-11-2019, 09:03 PM   #13
thebigd

Quote:
Ok, so first day experience.
After the first gentle press of the accelerator, I knew things were different, not in a huge way, but different.
After a few starts from red lights, it was clear that the car had cut the (minimal) lag off the mark in half.
Was on the M1 cruising at 100 (110 zone). Decided to go 50% of throttle. She held 6th and just pulled away, like never before.
Shifted to S mode a couple of times around town. MD diesel owners know that you don't need to rev these things to drive around comfortably. If you want to experience something like (I assume) our Ecoboost Mondeo family enjoy, change to sport mode. It was fun. She wanted to rev and break traction a couple of times, but honestly, no need for that.
This appears to be more of a torque tune IMO. But then torque is power.
I can now hear the turbo. Seems to spool more at low revs if you push it. Sweet sound. I believe the tune increases the boost from 25 to 28 psi.
240 k's traveled today. Got home with 5.1 / per 100.
Just got home from a three day trip into northern NSW.
700k's up since the tune. Post tune economy is now at 5.9, same as pre tune.
I have to add that in the last few days, I have been driving it a bit harder than normal. Hey, you got to enjoy your investment right ? This was done responsibly, without breaking any road rules.
The drive through the Burringbar Range in S mode with paddle shift help was a highlight. Climbing out of Lismore to Goonellabah, the car held 5th at 1300 RPM, which is just 500 over idle speed. It used to change down to 4th for this climb.
Whilst this tune didn't turn the car into a race car, it did transform the diving experience, so I would totally recommend.
I have a fuel card, so economy isn't an issue for me. Considering I've driven
hard and maintained the same economy this week, this tune represents good value. I'm sure the long term gains will be profitable.
2 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2020, 04:41 PM   #14
lotusproject

I had the Bluefin tune on the 177Kw motor and it was very easy to install/uninstall.
I did not have it dynoed so can't confirm actual power increase, but it was definitely there. Mid-range with highway overtaking etc. was impressive, not that that motor lacked in that area. But, it was super quick.
If you use the extra power, fuel consumption does not improve, but driven normally, that is with light throttle, both for city and country driving, I estimate a 6% improvement in fuel consumption.
The whole process is well sorted and I can recommend the product and they are good people to deal with.
lotusproject is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2020, 06:55 PM   #15
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Is there normal remapping available for these cars rather than the plug in generic flash type map?

Heavily considering Mondeo for my next daily, keen on wagon but only comes in 149KW spec Ecoboost, is there mechanical differences or just tuning differences between 177KW variant and 149KW one?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2020, 07:41 AM   #16
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unfortunately, I would be mindful of Superchips UK / Bluefin current situation; https://www.superchips.co.uk/
Old 09-05-2020, 05:06 PM   #17
thebigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Is there normal remapping available for these cars rather than the plug in generic flash type map?
The Bluefin device is far from generic. It's a tailored tune, completely focused on the engine spec you have.
You buy the device with no tune, just a preloaded application that will connect to your ECU, and allow the OE map to be copied onto it. You then email that file to Superchips UK, via a desktop shortcut. They identify what you've got under the bonnet, and supply the applicable remap from their database. I had the new map emailed back within the hour.
Totally recommend.
Old 09-05-2020, 05:46 PM   #18
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The Bluefin device is far from generic. It's a tailored tune, completely focused on the engine spec you have.
You buy the device with no tune, just a preloaded application that will connect to your ECU, and allow the OE map to be copied onto it. You then email that file to Superchips UK, via a desktop shortcut. They identify what you've got under the bonnet, and supply the applicable remap from their database. I had the new map emailed back within the hour.
Totally recommend.

They are not operating mate. Unfortunately, I would be mindful of Superchips UK / Bluefin current situation; https://www.superchips.co.uk/
Old 20-05-2020, 12:46 PM   #19
lotusproject

Bluefin Superchips tuning is available in Australia:
https://www.superchips.com.au/

They do have "tunes" available fpr both petrol and diesel.
lotusproject is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2020, 12:49 PM   #20
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusproject View Post
bluefin superchips tuning is available in australia:
https://www.superchips.com.au/

they do have "tunes" available fpr both petrol and diesel.

Not accepting orders due to COVID-19
superchips uk under new ownership - local & global trading will resume shortly
Old 22-05-2020, 06:42 PM   #21
thebigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ope126 View Post
Superchips uk under new ownership - local & global trading will resume shortly
This is great news. Trust they will honor the new car tune discount for those that have already purchased the Bluefin device.
Old 16-07-2020, 08:45 PM   #22
Renz
Starter Motor

Cool Re: MD Mondeo Titanium - Bluefin tune

For anyone interested in the above-mentioned Bluefin tune from Superchips, they are operating again and have stock.

Petrol tune: https://www.superchips.com.au/vehicl...une-remap.html

Diesel tune: https://www.superchips.com.au/vehicl...une-remap.html

No affiliation, btw

Cheers.
Renz.
Renz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2020, 04:37 PM   #23
AussieG62013

Does this improve the way the gear box changes gears in an auto ?
AussieG62013 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2020, 10:15 PM   #24
Renz
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieG62013 View Post
Does this improve the way the gear box changes gears in an auto ?
I don't recall reading anything about that on the UK Forums. I believe it's just an engine remap/tune. Can't see how that would affect the box.

Cheers.
Renz.
Old 18-07-2020, 08:04 AM   #25
thebigd

The tune does three main things. Changes the length of the injector pulse, adjusts the cam timing, increases turbo boost to 28PSI.
I haven't noticed any change to the gearbox, other than it will grab the next gear quicker due to the increased torque.
Old 18-07-2020, 12:36 PM   #26
Renz
Starter Motor

You, thebigd, probably know better since you've already had this done, but does this tune essentially take the output to match the higher output diesel engine, that exists in the UK?

Cheers.
Renz.
Old 18-07-2020, 05:39 PM   #27
thebigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renz View Post
You, thebigd, probably know better since you've already had this done, but does this tune essentially take the output to match the higher output diesel engine, that exists in the UK?
Cheers.
Renz.
The UK had a twin turbo diesel. From memory, they produced 207HP & 450NM.
The Superchips tune for the AU Mondeo diesel takes it to 224HP & 477NM, and yer, I'm still loving it !
Old 20-08-2020, 11:33 AM   #28
Womble99

Quote:
The UK had a twin turbo diesel. From memory, they produced 207HP & 450NM.

The Superchips tune for the AU Mondeo diesel takes it to 224HP & 477NM, and yer, I'm still loving it !
How do you find the advertised economy benefits? It looks good for the increase in performance but if it does live up to the economy savings then it probably isn't a bad deal for $700

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Womble99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2020, 07:17 AM   #29
thebigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Womble99 View Post
How do you find the advertised economy benefits? It looks good for the increase in performance but if it does live up to the economy savings then it probably isn't a bad deal for $700
Keep an eye on their website for specials. I got mine for $625.
Have found no change to the fuel economy, despite Superchips claiming you'll save up to 10%.
Still a great investment though, as I've got the gains without using extra fuel. My overall economy after 34,000 k's is sitting at a flat 6.0L per 100.
Have to admit I am driving it a bit harder these days.
Had to drive my state managers (untuned Titanium) hatch recently. My Trend would blow his away.

Last edited by thebigd; 22-08-2020 at 07:35 AM.
Old 22-08-2020, 12:04 PM   #30
AussieG62013

Add a K&N air filter I have noticed better fuel economy in my MD petrol eco boost.
AussieG62013 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post