Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 31-08-2021, 06:27 PM   #1
Starter Motor

Default MD Mondeo recent purchase - features?

G'day all,

Have recently become a Mondeo wagon Titanium diesel owner, after lurking for some time reading searching etc, trying to educate myself as much as possible to make an 'informed' decision [I'm old bloke in Brisbane], and I took the plunge. First of all what a nice car, peppy diesel and frugal on my around town running.
I do have some questions though ? [a 9/16 build, low kms.. 11,000]
- rear BLISS - cross traffic - its in the manual, anyone experienced it ?
- tyre pressure monitoring - it says it has, in the manual Mondeo (CNG) Australia, enAUS, Edition date: 201605, First Printing [with my car]. but on a recent tyre change x 4, it had 2 original Primacy and 2 Pirelli, I didnt want to run mixed brands of tyres, when I asked I was told the valve stems were 'regular' stems, does the car sense pressure change by other means ..ie, rolling diameter difference. There's no option within the dash like in EU for TPMS, can it be added ie showing PSIs or low pressure

- door pockets, its a great albeit shallow space, but is there a storage organiser solution that someones found to better use this quietly, my metal drink bottle lays flat rollin around, sliding back n forth.
- TSR - would be so good to have, is it possible to unlock? least GPS has speed zones shown, again our friends os have this feature.

- love option of ACC or good old cruise.
- overspeed warning ?

- GPS pipes up and says "caution' love that!, but does she know about red light cameras, or favourite mobile placements.

Other than that a happy camper so far, looking forward to taking her on a good run up or down the coast with a tank full of BP or Mobil, that's what I run in all our other diesels on.

Thanks for listening, any guidance would be appreciated.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2021, 02:03 AM   #2
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: MD Mondeo recent purchase - features?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
- rear BLISS - cross traffic - its in the manual, anyone experienced it ?
- tyre pressure monitoring - it says it has, in the manual Mondeo (CNG) Australia, enAUS, Edition date: 201605, First Printing [with my car]. but on a recent tyre change x 4, it had 2 original Primacy and 2 Pirelli, I didnt want to run mixed brands of tyres, when I asked I was told the valve stems were 'regular' stems, does the car sense pressure change by other means ..ie, rolling diameter difference. There's no option within the dash like in EU for TPMS, can it be added ie showing PSIs or low pressure
I wasn't aware that it has cross traffic alert. It's certainly something that I have not experienced, and I don't recall it being advertised as having cross-traffic alert in the brochure. I'll have to have a look in the manual.

Likewise TPMS.

Quote:
- door pockets, its a great albeit shallow space, but is there a storage organiser solution that someones found to better use this quietly, my metal drink bottle lays flat rollin around, sliding back n forth.
Just a suggestion - perhaps see if an automotive upholsterer can come up with some sort of felt lining for the door pockets? It's annoying, I know, and I try to avoid using it, because while it does appear to have a space for bottles, it's pretty useless as the bottle ends up rolling around the door pocket making a hell of a racket.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2021, 05:22 PM   #3
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Guest,

There is a ford site (EITSS or somesuch) which allows you to enter your VIN and it gives you the build spec for your exact car - perhaps someone can clarify the site for you.

There is also a member who will do this if you provide them with your VIN but I can not remember the username - again perhaps another member can help.

SFAIK the cars of that build period built for Australia did not have TPMS fitted, mine certainly doesn't and it was built in Sept of 2016. But I'm amazed that your car has had a tyre change inside 11,000 km distance - are you sure about the milage? The OE Continentals on our car lasted until 34,000 km.

The GPS has fixed red light camera alerts provided you have the map on the screen as there is not always an audible warning. It shows as a red triangle with an exclamation mark in it at the intersections that are fitted with them - but I'm still running the 2016 maps and later versions may not include the facility. I do not think mobile sites get covered - at least I have not noticed the exclamation mark popping up anywhere other than intersections.

I think speed settings are available, but they are buried in the menu structure. I do not use them so I can't be sure. I find the adaptive cruise is much more useful as it keeps to the speed setting rather well and with the 5kph adjustments for each press of the -ve or +ve buttons allows setting to the speed limit quickly.

I discovered you need to be careful with the manual because it covers all of the equipment that could be fitted and Ford Aus seem to vary the spec level for the cars they order from batch to batch. So some things that one batch has are omitted in the next (more accurately often replaced with something else).

Our drink flasks fit neatly into the cup holders, but we had to search to find some that were appropriate sizes.

If I think of anything else I'll post a follow up.

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2021, 05:43 PM   #4
Starter Motor

Thanks Alan and NX7...

After thumbing thru the manual several times I downloaded a pdf version from Ford AU site linked to my VIN, I found it best word searching the pdf. yes it would seem they reference quite a few things that 'could' be fitted. annoying.

Re tyres, I agree re mileage and being so low, a closer look and chasing tyre rumble it showed 2 were quite feathered, plus being mixed I thought stuff it pull them all off and start again with a fresh set of 4 all matching and new. Well the road noise /rumble was less but still there, its now been identified as a bad front wheel bearing [which i suspected, and I watched the UK guy YouTube with a fleet of these as taxis showed how to troubleshoot] so car is in the shop having that changed. Hopefully get it back early this week with no further rumble or noise.

I updated the Sync and to the new 2020 maps, so I have accurate speed zones shown on the map which is great, it appears the red triangles Alan you spoke of [on my old 2015 maps] have been missed in the map update but I do have a voice saying "caution". [But ive only used the GPS destination mode limited before I handed the car back for the bearing] . Ill do further investigating re VIN check.
Thanks for your info.
Old 08-09-2021, 07:59 PM   #5
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Re tyres, I agree re mileage and being so low, a closer look and chasing tyre rumble it showed 2 were quite feathered, plus being mixed I thought stuff it pull them all off and start again with a fresh set of 4 all matching and new. Well the road noise /rumble was less but still there, its now been identified as a bad front wheel bearing [which i suspected, and I watched the UK guy YouTube with a fleet of these as taxis showed how to troubleshoot] so car is in the shop having that changed. Hopefully get it back early this week with no further rumble or noise.
Can I ask what new tyres you got, just out of interest?

I agree mileage is low, and in my case, the OE Continentals only lasted 25,000km. My second set of Continentals also lasted about 27,000km. So I switched to Michelin Pilot Sport 4 and so far, 34,000kms later, they are still great. So I would definitely recommend them, and would consider buying them again when they are due for replacement.
Old 08-09-2021, 08:12 PM   #6
Starter Motor

I put some Falken Azenis FK510 on, rated as good all rounded tyre, but not particularly known for mileage. I will be getting rotated every 10000kms to watch wear etc.

Front wheel bearing changed out and road noise and rumble sorted, thank goodness.
Old 08-09-2021, 09:33 PM   #7
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I run the Falken 510’s on mine got nearly 50k out of them. Good tyre plus they have the 12 month puncture warranty.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2021, 08:20 PM   #8
thebigd

Quote:
I updated the Sync and to the new 2020 maps
I thought that (OE) map updates were only available from the dealers at a scheduled service. I have an 18.75 Trend that was serviced by Bremer Ford in July, and I still have 2019 maps.
I did point out to the service staff that I needed the maps updated. Was told the only update available was for MY19 on.
thebigd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2021, 08:27 PM   #9
Starter Motor

I did via cyanlabs update to Sync and 2020 Aussie maps update.
Old 18-09-2021, 10:21 PM   #10
Starter Motor

A big shout out and appreciation to -Shellingfox - on this forum who was a great help and enthusiastic about helped to unlock some of the de-activated features on the Oz Mondeo. I can happily say some of my big ticket items on my Mondeo wishlist achieved.
TPMS - with 4 x psi now on drivers display
TSR - 2 circles on RH side of drivers display, utilising the front facing camera to also read speed signs live and present that within the drivers display - brilliant, and
rear cross traffic - just a brilliant extra safety feature to have ...for reversing uphill out of our driveway on to a busy road.

More to come
- still trying to figure out whether we can have an audible alert when you go over a preset speed, like in the old days of the Falcons and so forth, 'overSpeed Alert'.. I discovered under MyKey a Speed "Minder" can be set, so to trial whether a 'beep' can be had [at all], I programed mykey 'minder' to 75kph, and yep got the beep and warning in dash "drive safely', so I now its possible, but still working on how to get it work [not under MyKey setup], this is still a WIP at this point.

Thanks again to everyone for your input and having boards like these and others where owners/ enthusiasts can talk and share.

BTW I havent come up with [yet] a storage - solution to the big front door storage space; but when I do I'll let everyone know.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-09-2021, 03:22 PM   #11
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok, so that's got me curious - how are those features "unlocked"? Cross traffic alert is something that I would love to have.
Old 21-09-2021, 04:23 PM   #12
Lappy
Starter Motor

I too got the Mondeo Titanium Wagon earlier this year MY17, not that I can drive it much at the moment in VIC. Updated from a V8 Fairmont Ghia and it is fantastic to drive.

I am going to try and get the TSR to work as well, and once I get some TPMS sensors I will have a go at that too.

One of the stranger things on my wagon is that there is no slot in the foam under the floor in the back for the rear shade, which the manual says there should be. I found quite a few of those where available statements in the manual which was a bit annoying. I would have bought a higher spec if there was one brought into Aus.
Lappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2021, 06:33 PM   #13
Papug

I would love to know as well how to activate cross traffic alert, if possible.
Also, what is TSR stand for?
Papug is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2021, 06:50 PM   #14
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papug View Post
Also, what is TSR stand for?
Traffic Sign Recognition.
This user likes this post:
Old 24-09-2021, 06:44 AM   #15
Starter Motor

G'day all,

regards Traffic sign recognition and rear cross traffic alert, we went the forscan route referencing the forscan and 2gfusion boards for the the lines of code and modules that need updates or changes.

Some minimums for TSR is at least active cruise control with front facing camera on the back of the rear view front mirror, and for rear X traffic you need to have blind spot mirrors plus the 12 parking sensors. Tpms needs ford TPMS sensors fitted to your tyres and then updates via sites mentioned earlier, you can have 2 levels as in just a general warning of low pressure or as I have 4 wheels x psi/kpa [my initial impressions with them in for a week ..is they're a bit fussy ie I have had at least 6 or more warnings [as systems seems to loose contact with the sensors, but it does correct itself tho, it might be just bedding them in]. The last batch of warnings occurred on the cars first long run on the motorway with TPMS fitted and with sustained 110kph speed for over 45 mins], They did settle down afterward.

All these changes brings the Mondeo up nicely to be a much better spec. vehicle.
We also removed the annoying double horn beep if you hop out of your car temporarily with the key in your pocket [motor running].

Specifically look for a US guy [DanMc85] with the Fusion version of our cars, on the above forums, he has produced a google doc sheet of possible unlock features and their codes.
Lappy I concur regards the rear blind stowage, after tetrising the back foam pieces trying to get the right combination to stow, it became apparent as we have the skinny spare and jack tools, that the underneath stowage of the cover is not possible on the AU Titanium wagon [in my case]...mind you if some one figures out a way I'm open to suggestions.

If I can figure out how to upload some pics I'd be happy show some shots of the dash with TSR, TPMS and rear X traffic alerts and how they look..

Stay Safe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TSR RCTA (2).jpg (137.2 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by Guest; 24-09-2021 at 07:10 AM.
Old 24-09-2021, 07:24 AM   #16
Starter Motor

more pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TPMS.jpg (133.4 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Tsr x 2.jpg (92.5 KB, 48 views)
Old 27-09-2021, 07:50 PM   #17
Lappy
Starter Motor

I just bit the bullet after posting and fired up the laptop. Got the TSR to work although I was unsure if it would work correctly as I got a message saying reduced performance when I went into the menu on the dash for it. However today while I was driving it correctly identified a 40 zone for road works. I do wonder if you get a similar warning as well Guest? I don't think I missed a setting but I may have. I have also seen that a firmware update for the IPMA might be required.

So for TSR I enabled the 6 (I think) options in the IPC for it, some were just duplicates for MyKey settings. Then also in the IPMA as well which I think was just the one setting. Can't get the overspeed chime to work however.

Cross traffic needed the Left and Right SODM activating and as well as the BCM and IPC I think from memory.

Also Guest from your images it looks like both circles had speeds in them, I have only seen the lower one light up so what was going on there? I did wonder if it was possible to use the speed limit function in conjunction with the TSR? Need to be able to leave my house more to test it.

Cheers.
Old 28-09-2021, 08:36 AM   #18
Starter Motor

Nice work Lappy.
TSR yes both Shellingfox and I have the same message but once its on and used everyday, its only triggered if you open the option in the drop options to fettle with TSR.

Overall using TSR for nearly 2 weeks now I've only seen it caught twice [missing a sign], once in low direct sun in the arvo glaring out the front camera, and another turning in to a side street where the street sign on the new street was missed as I was still turning. However if there's no street sign info the system defaults to what is on the GPS maps [grey sign vs coloured].
Twin circles ..I have only seen triggered a handful of times, effectively where there's say a flashing changing speed sign change like a "school zone' within a regular 60 kph area, it 'may' show as a 2nd sign. You can see in my pic, tiny script under the 40kph..lol I can't read what it says..

We don't have any other road symbols that TSR could pickup here in Oz that i'm aware of, not unlike EU or UK, but I'm keen to see. Overall I love how 'good' /effective the system is, to the point I'll rely on it in conjunction with me eyeballing speed zone signs; and of course the GPS map signage as backup.

Re overspeed "shellingfox" has been working on this as we both have been researching how to activate.

It seems our mirrors need to be updated to S Max software, which we hope will unlock. I tested the car under a MyKey scenario of the "speed minder' setting where supposedly a tone and visual warning occurs if the car exceeds a set speed limit. I set my car to 75kph as a test as to whether we even had some sort overspeed audible warning [as well as the current flashing TSR speed sign on the dash]; and yes it worked perfectly and also its a different tone to the typical no seatbelt warning - sounds like a mobile phone tone - just the one].
Will keep you posted on whether the mirror software update works as a solution.
Old 28-09-2021, 08:57 AM   #19
Starter Motor

Further and interestingly

I trialled the Speed Limiter function, now with TSR. [Not Intelligent Speed Limiter..well not yet, nor ACC with Stop n Go..wish list]

Speed Limiter I found if I purposefully [accelerated] exceeded the set zone speed and limit speed, TSR sign would flash - expected.

...but I was able to trigger and "overspeed" audible warning tone, as the car was rolling going downhill and exceeded the speed limited setting, the TSR the speed symbol [RHS] flashed [was faster that road sign speed limit], and the LHS speed limiter set speed flashed, and the car [overspeed] beeped [once]. Very cool

So we know there's an overspeed single tone in there, but how to get it to day to day driving be a settable feature to remind you that your set 'tolerance' over and above speed, can have an audible warning if you want one.

Perhaps the mirror update might achieve this with TSR.

The tech and unlockable tech on these is sooo good.
Old 30-09-2021, 08:12 PM   #20
shellingfox
Starter Motor

After loaded firmware from S-Max mirror. I can confirm that the TSR chime is working.

For my car (Trend badge), no need to recalibrate the camera.

For Guest car (Titanium badge), recalibrate the camera is required.
Old 02-10-2021, 12:59 PM   #21
Lappy
Starter Motor

Hi shellingfox thanks for the info, that is good to know. I am a little hesitant to do a firmware change as the Forscan forums warn of fire and brimstone over this going wrong. I can only assume this went well for you given that you have a working car still.

When you say calibrate the camera is this the process in Forscan where it asks you to drive around for a bit?
Old 07-10-2021, 12:36 PM   #22
shellingfox
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappy View Post
Hi shellingfox thanks for the info, that is good to know. I am a little hesitant to do a firmware change as the Forscan forums warn of fire and brimstone over this going wrong. I can only assume this went well for you given that you have a working car still.

When you say calibrate the camera is this the process in Forscan where it asks you to drive around for a bit?
Yes, FORScan have this procedure function. You will need to start the procedure, wait the initial finish and then drive a car in high way with clear line marker (Prefer speed from 65km/h~100km/h) for about 10 minutes.

You will know the calibrate finish when all the assit features came back like LKA, TSR...