Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 16-08-2006, 07:03 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default Idiot Neighbours

My parents live in a quiet street, my grandmother lives in the same street a few houses down, and 2 houses down from my parents is a family that have two daughters. Reasonable enough people but they can be a bit ridiculous.

I've found out that the eldest daughter is having her 21st birthday at their place in about 2 weeks time. Now this in itself wouldnt be a problem, except for the fact that I know exactly how the party will turn out.

To give you an idea - at her 18th birthday, approximately 50 were invited, about 400 turned up, police were called 3 times by us and at least once more by others in the street, they started at 7pm Friday night and didnt stop until 6am Saturday morning, and the street was basically trashed. Not exactly something we want to happen again.

I'm pretty damn annoyed about the fact that they are basically going to do it all over again without giving a damn - my nan is the best part of 80 years old, and there are numerous othe residents of the street who are sick/getting on a bit/have young kids etc, all of whom will basically get no sleep for the entire night and a yard full of crap for the privelige. I don't see why we should have to put up with this.

I'm wondering now what can be done about it - Im not talking pranks or damage to property etc, Im talking leigitmate action that can be taken to make sure these morons give us a bit of peace. I know for a fact that there will be a lot of underage drinking going on at the party - in fact, the reason they are having it at their house instead of a licensed venue is so they can do it and get away with it. Im sure there will be a bloody loud stereo, and the worst bit - plenty of moron teenage girls screaming their heads off at 1am.

So, does anybody have any suggestions about what we can do? I do intend to "tip off" the police and tell them there will be grog and underage kids there, but I don't really think that will have much of an effect. And trying to reason with the parents of the family is not an option - they're brainless and will probably end up just as drunk as everybody else there.

Be grateful for any help with this one! :

Old 16-08-2006, 07:09 PM   #2
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

I'll probably be there, il make sure i come across and say hello :P
Old 16-08-2006, 07:13 PM   #3
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Perhaps get a few of yous together, approach the parents and warn them if theres any trouble or damage the coppas will be there this time.

If you have any trouble on the night ring the cops and tell em theres kids getting in cars and driving them under the influence, that will soon get them out.

I seriously think the best way to protect yourselves is approach the parents and tell them you want them to keep it under control, its only fair.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 15.
Old 16-08-2006, 07:29 PM   #4
muppet

Just go to the cops and tell them these people are going to have another party and remind them what happend last time and see what they say. If they say there is nothing they can do untill an offence is commited ring them every 1/2 hour while the party is on and tell them there are under age drinkers there and the music is too loud(but only if the party is out of hand you have to let people have some fun).
I think you will find that NSW has large fines for not turning loud music down after 12 and the police can confiscate there sterio if they dont turn it down or off after they have been instructed to do so it is a wonder that didn't happen last time. But realy the police will probly not be able to stop it happening again.
The best thing you could do if they go all night is wait untill they all go to bed and drive you're car up to their house and turn the sterio up flat out and make shure they cant get to sleep if they come out and tell you to shut up just tell them to call the cops .
Either that or buy your granny some ear plugs
Old 16-08-2006, 07:39 PM   #5
NC 5ltr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What muppet said...notify the police of where the party is approx and how many people are coming.

QUOTE What makes you think I'm going to park behind a VE? I don't even attend the Sydney Gay Mardi Gras! QUOTE
Old 16-08-2006, 07:41 PM   #6
FLYXR6
Silvester

extreme and really stupid but you could steal the circuit brakers out of there power box after 12 that would slow them down a bit.....

I like them sleek and unnoticable, That is untill the pedal is pushed.

www.myspace.com/flyxr6 Myspace URL
www.myspace.com/slvstr01 My cars Myspace URL
Old 16-08-2006, 07:42 PM   #7
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYXR6
extreme and really stupid but you could steal the circuit brakers out of there power box after 12 that would slow them down a bit.....
haha i have heard of someones parents doing that when there childs party just wouldn't finish, it worked pretty well...
Old 16-08-2006, 07:46 PM   #8
coonpanelvan
Starter Motor

if they own the house, not much at all you can do it about it. and its only one night out of the whole year.
Old 16-08-2006, 08:02 PM   #9
WRP11
NF Fairlane ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYXR6

Ha Ha, I'm sure that was my dad that did that.. it works..

Seriously.. if you want the police to act fast you just say: 'I THINK I saw a weapon", they will be there in a heart beat... good luck..
Old 16-08-2006, 08:07 PM   #10
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1 party in 3 years? Give the kid a break!!
Old 16-08-2006, 08:09 PM   #11
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

PS. 21st's are usually more tame as the kid still isnt in high school. I wouldnt worry about it being as big as the first one.
Old 16-08-2006, 08:09 PM   #12
opto
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hold the party in a hall, employ a security guard or two, one with a dog, a list of names allowing only those people in, any others would require your approval only. The security guard chauffers partygoers to their car, make sure car park is well lit.

Have Fun.
Old 16-08-2006, 08:10 PM   #13
XRchic
Hello

Except for the fact that 400 people turned up at the last one and the street was trashed (define trashed?), I would say to not worry about it. 400 people is really extreme, obviously gate crashers? And what exactly happened in the street? Did the cops actually DO anything?

I have had my fair share of parties in my life and some of them have been pretty full on. However, I have always notified my neighbours a few weeks in advance and also said they are welcome to come over and join in or come by if we are too noisy etc. You would be surrprised how many neighbours will come over for a few snags and a few drinks to say hi and that eases things quite a lot for future events, I have found.

Having a some moronic loud teenage girls drunk and carrying on at 1am is quite normal, I assure you. The girl is turning 21? Well most 21st parties Ive been too have involved a fair few kids running amok and drinking - thats just life and I certainly wouldnt be too worried about that kind of party in my street... however, if it is likely to be as bad as you say the last one was, I could be worried, depending on what happened in the street...

If people's front yards were damaged, letterboxes etc damaged, plants and lawn damaged, cars damaged and rubbish up the length of the street, then yes I would be worried. If it was a few bottles and a bit of rubbish around the place, then I would live.

Same with the noise. I would be very surprised if many 21sts were not loud and didnt go from 7pm to 6am... I would have thought that was quite normal. Im not sure if you had a problem with that part or not.

It is hard to say from the facts you have given us exactly how bad this will be compared to what IVE been used to... My own grandma who lived in a very loud street until recently often said that she just remembered that she was young once too, she had her days of fun and that she never slept much in her old age anyway. The noise never really bothered her. I dont think it would bother me a few nights of the year.

If my house or front yard was trashed, I would go off my nut.

I guess the best thing you can do is to try and talk to the people having the party and express your concerns to them - often having a good talk on a friendly level can solve quite a few problems. However, if this doesnt work, I guess you can try the cops again, although I would think that is quite antagonistic to start with. Perhaps go talk to them with OTHER neighbours who are worried too. Im sure they dont want to have the whole street stressing about it!

Other than that, I guess the best option is to do what most others do and just live with it and perhaps look over it for the sake of good neighbour relations... If it turns out bad, then defintely ring the cops though!

Good luck with it mate, I hope it all goes ok and that no one ends up too stressed!

Jac

: Cobra :
Old 16-08-2006, 08:11 PM   #14
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf

So, does anybody have any suggestions about what we can do? I do intend to "tip off" the police and tell them there will be grog and underage kids there, but I don't really think that will have much of an effect. And trying to reason with the parents of the family is not an option - they're brainless and will probably end up just as drunk as everybody else there.

Be grateful for any help with this one! :
Throw a bigger party.

1st Annual Australian National Ford Forums Riverina Districts House Party at Aust's place... :

While we're at it, can we entice all the screaming teenage girls too? :Reverend:
Old 16-08-2006, 08:14 PM   #15
Woz
As in 'best there ever'

Quote:
Originally Posted by opto
Hold the party in a hall, employ a security guard or two, one with a dog, a list of names allowing only those people in, any others would require your approval only. The security guard chauffers partygoers to their car, make sure car park is well lit.

Have Fun.
Wow. Have you even read the thread?
Old 16-08-2006, 08:16 PM   #16
Psycho Chicken
Banned

How many 21st do you have? Seriously, it's one night.
Old 16-08-2006, 08:20 PM   #17
Woz
As in 'best there ever'

Most 21st I know of last until maybe 11pm at the latest, then head off to a pub somewhere or into the city. So you might find you get away with a bit of chaos if that turns out to be the case.

Noise complaints might not do the most in your favour, but reports of underage drinking, or even people who are clearly drunk getting into cars shouldn't have any trouble getting a reaction. Damage to anything in the street could probably be an issue, but how often do you know of it happening before the next day? Maybe get a few of the boys around, throw on the footy or something, have a BBQ and a few drinks, stay up late and if you hear anything, jump on the phone and report it.

Noise complaints, for the sake of decency, are something that should probably be dealt with through a knock on the front door before a phone call to the police, but if it's something more serious, keep in mind some of the knobends that run the streets at night and think of your own safety. Not everyone traded in their weapon of choice for a footy ticket.

Good luck, mate.
Old 16-08-2006, 08:21 PM   #18
EF, What else?
A Bloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
Throw a bigger party.

1st Annual Australian National Ford Forums Riverina Districts House Party at Aust's place... :

While we're at it, can we entice all the screaming teenage girls too? :Reverend:
:hihi: Sounds like a plan
Old 16-08-2006, 08:26 PM   #19
honer
Back to N/A land

Impregnate the 21 year old if shes hot.
Old 16-08-2006, 08:27 PM   #20
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

1. Set your mobile phone to NOT send the number
2. When the party starts to get out of control, ring the police.
3. If they don't turn up within 15 minutes, ring the cops again and say you think someone has been shot at the address. Just say you've heard lots of screaming and a really loud bang/crack - they should be there pronto.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
Old 16-08-2006, 08:33 PM   #21
b2tf
not here much anymore

Ok well thanks for all the input thus far, just to clarify a few things though:-

- Even though it may seem it, Im not a killjoy. I really couldnt give a toss what these people do - what I do give a toss about is how it is going to affect everybody else. If this party wasnt going on where it is, I really wouldnt mind.

- I reckon there is nothing wrong with having a party but with also having boundaries. What is so unreasonable about asking to turn music down after 12am, or asking them to generally keep it down towards the later part of the night. That way they still get to have fun but the rest of the neighborhood can do whatever they do as well.

Now I also want to say that it's not as if Im planning to go and just ruin the party without talking to them first. I do agree that its fair on both counts to approach the parents first, and that will happen. The only reason I havent really mentioned it is because last time that was done, promises were made and then just forgotten about, and the result was as I wrote above.

At this stage I think the parents are going away, and I will be out of town at the gf's place to avoid the noise and the mess. I will be heasding back the day after though to make sure nothing has been damaged etc.
Old 16-08-2006, 08:40 PM   #22
XRated
Shoot.

You sound like a grumpy-old fart mate!

Fair enough you don't want anything getting "trashed" in the street - I don't blame you. I do feel sorry for your Nan, but like has been said, it's a 21st and it doesn't happen every day.

I might have skipped it, but have you bothered to talk with the people personally? Just make sure that they know what happened last time and it won't be tolerated. And as others have suggested, just let the police know prior that there is a party happening, and again, what happened last time.

You'll be right!

Got pics of the birthday girl?

20V Turbo

Old 16-08-2006, 08:44 PM   #23
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRated

Got pics of the birthday girl?
She's enormous and drives an Astra with a cannon.

Still want pics?:
Old 16-08-2006, 08:49 PM   #24
Woz
As in 'best there ever'

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
She's enormous and drives an Astra with a cannon.

Still want pics?:
Hmmm... Enormous where?
Old 16-08-2006, 09:04 PM   #25
crusher
Dirty ute club member

Im guessing everywhere Woz lol.

Im sure it wont be as bad as you think. Most people have grown out of the lets get ****ed and trash everything and be retards by 21. Most by 19. There are the few that dont grow up but there easily dealt with.

It probably wont be too bad but you know what would work well to shut them up? Bikies. Big huge scary bikies. See round here they own everything. And live next door to alot of people. And most people know 1 or 2. Or more. So its not really wise to **** anyone off. Specially down at the pub. lol.

Nothing bad ever happens in Chidlow. Cept for those couple of bodies they found...but they dont count cos one just died by himself. And the other were out in the bush so meh.
Old 16-08-2006, 09:20 PM   #26
Scott

I have a well insured Fairmont I would like to park in your street, what was it called again?
Old 16-08-2006, 09:23 PM   #27
StookEB

If it's going to be a large party they have to legally tell the police if it's in residential area i've been told by a mate whose dad's a cop. The party can't leave their backyard(property) or they can get a fine. Underage kids are only aloud to drink with parents permission so if they leave the property they've had it. Most police around here are told and keep an eye on parties.
Old 16-08-2006, 09:37 PM   #28
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Walk softly and carry a big stick.....capiche

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 16-08-2006, 10:27 PM   #29
Aussie_Geo
Aussie_Geo

Mate,

having just gone through this thread I am ****ing myself, you realise all you have done is ask the inmates how you should run the loony bin. If some little low life damaged my girl on my property when they got drunk..... I would be calling the ambulance not the police :

Peter
Old 16-08-2006, 10:32 PM   #30
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Get all the neighbours to invite themselves to the party.

Sounds like the parents didn't mind the extra guests last time, so a few more this time would not hurt.

The older the guests, the "more likely" the party will end early.
Closed Thread