Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 12-05-2015, 02:11 PM   #1
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 
Default Always on 12v in the boot?

Gents

Thinking about putting a ciggy lighter socket in the boot, cos you know, stuff.

Where might i find an always on 12v feed in the boot that I could splice in to? I was thinking about what's there - tail lights? No, only active when something happens. Boot light? Only active when the boot is open, and only for an hour or something like that. Boot release button? Only for like 5 minutes after you unlock the car or if you have the keys in.

Unless i'm mistaken on how car electrics work (entirely probable!)

Thanks
Old 13-05-2015, 09:11 AM   #2
valiant81
Starter Motor

Default Re: Always on 12v in the boot?

Hi;
Best way would to use heavy cable ( 6mm twin ) from your cig lighter all the way to your battery. A 20 Amp fuse or cuircut breaker as close to the battery as possable. Do not use the car's body for the earth return, that why a i always use 6 mm twin cable, this has two seperate insulated cables and one is used for the 12 Volt feed and the the other wire is used for the earth return.

Why use heavy wire, just because of the voltage drop over the lenght of the cable and pulling a bit of current. Car audio amplifiers and 2 ~3 way fridges come into their own here.

While you are at it why not fit a merrit socket at the same time as a lot of equipment these days use this type of socket instead of cig sockets as merrit are desighned to handel higher current ( 20 Amps @ 12 Volts ).
valiant81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-05-2015, 09:57 AM   #3
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by valiant81 View Post
Hi;
Best way would to use heavy cable ( 6mm twin ) from your cig lighter all the way to your battery. A 20 Amp fuse or cuircut breaker as close to the battery as possable. Do not use the car's body for the earth return, that why a i always use 6 mm twin cable, this has two seperate insulated cables and one is used for the 12 Volt feed and the the other wire is used for the earth return.

Why use heavy wire, just because of the voltage drop over the lenght of the cable and pulling a bit of current. Car audio amplifiers and 2 ~3 way fridges come into their own here.

While you are at it why not fit a merrit socket at the same time as a lot of equipment these days use this type of socket instead of cig sockets as merrit are desighned to handel higher current ( 20 Amps @ 12 Volts ).
That's pretty much why I did in our previous explorer. Hardest part is getting the wire through the firewall, after that, it's easy to lift the side trim, and run it down to the boot. I earthed it to the common earth setup under the bonnet (near the battery), and I also fitted a switch at the boot end so i could turn it off.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2015, 12:12 PM   #4
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

With our AU wagon all I did is bought one of those Narva extension cord things that plugged into the ciggie lighter, and routed it under the seats and carpet so it wouldn't get in the way.

It was rated to 10a if I recall, which is fine because that is all the ciggie lighter socket and factory wiring is rated to anyway. Just don't plug a 3 way fridge into it or anything.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2015, 02:11 PM   #5
brismike
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Make sure you don't connect the earth wire directly to the battery. Earth it on the car body next to the battery. Reason for this is that if you go direct to the battery you will bypass the smart charge device that allows the alternator to always put back in the correct amount of juice to keep the battery fully charged.

If you don't do it this way you will slowly but surely discharge your battery and end up with a flat one. I'll upload a pic of how I did mine.

I have got a 20amp fuse in line just after the wire leaves the battery. Then I ran the cable along the side and down to the rubber grommet in the firewall. Then inside under the dash where I rigged up a toggle switch so I can switch the power off if I want. Then the wire goes along the side under the trim behind the back seat and into the boot.

I use it to plug in a portable 12 volt mini fridge which we got in ALDI a while ago. I did not use a ciggy lighter socket in the boot though. I replaced it with a more secure 12v connection that I got from Jaycar. I forget what they are called but they are a lot more secure and the socket won't accidentally drop out.

Cheers Mike

Wife's - 2018 Peugeot 3008 Gtline, Pearl White - 6 Speed Auto - Fully Optioned.

My Toy - 2014 Smart Fortwo Passion Crystal White, Black Tridion Cell - 5 Speed Auto with Flappy Paddles - Tint - Twin Exhaust

The only good Commodore is the one now very very quickly disappearing in my rear view mirror.

Last edited by brismike; 13-05-2015 at 02:28 PM.
brismike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2015, 02:30 PM   #6
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

I dont think the AU had a smart charging system?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2015, 02:32 PM   #7
brismike
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
I dont think the AU had a smart charging system?
OK sorry .. if that's the case no problem .. if you are doing it to an FG do it my way.

I got the advice I have given from a guy who used to work in a Ford Dealer workshop.

Cheers Mike

Wife's - 2018 Peugeot 3008 Gtline, Pearl White - 6 Speed Auto - Fully Optioned.

My Toy - 2014 Smart Fortwo Passion Crystal White, Black Tridion Cell - 5 Speed Auto with Flappy Paddles - Tint - Twin Exhaust

The only good Commodore is the one now very very quickly disappearing in my rear view mirror.
brismike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2015, 03:42 PM   #8
Fyrestorm
Spanner Thrower

I'm not sure if there's an active 12v on the trailer plug or not, but there is an earth.

If it's a wagon, the connector is hiding in with the jack.
Current Mods: Fairmont Cluster, LED's Changed to Purple, Lukey Competition Extractors, 2.5" Hi flow Cat, Hi-Stall Converter, ED Box with FG internals, AUIII VCT Fuel Rail + Injectors, F6 Fuel Regulator, Stereo upgrade, Aftermarket LPG.

Awaiting Wife Approval Mods:

TE50 Front Bar, AU Tickford/SR Interior, Roof Racks, Slimline Weathershields, 2.5" Cat Back Exhaust, 27mm Front Sway Bar, Other Shiny things!
Fyrestorm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2015, 09:28 PM   #9
towtaltowing

Quote:
Originally Posted by brismike View Post
Make sure you don't connect the earth wire directly to the battery. Earth it on the car body next to the battery. Reason for this is that if you go direct to the battery you will bypass the smart charge device that allows the alternator to always put back in the correct amount of juice to keep the battery fully charged.

If you don't do it this way you will slowly but surely discharge your battery and end up with a flat one. I'll upload a pic of how I did mine.

I have got a 20amp fuse in line just after the wire leaves the battery. Then I ran the cable along the side and down to the rubber grommet in the firewall. Then inside under the dash where I rigged up a toggle switch so I can switch the power off if I want. Then the wire goes along the side under the trim behind the back seat and into the boot.

I use it to plug in a portable 12 volt mini fridge which we got in ALDI a while ago. I did not use a ciggy lighter socket in the boot though. I replaced it with a more secure 12v connection that I got from Jaycar. I forget what they are called but they are a lot more secure and the socket won't accidentally drop out.

Cheers Mike

you have a 20amp fuse on cable that looks like 1.5mm2 which is only good for 16amps in the best conditions
you prob used an anderson plug in the boot

i have 3x sockets in the boot on all the time from its own feed from the battery
2x sockets in the glove also on it own feed

tom
towtaltowing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post